The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brook Vs. Alexander - Early Predictions

+22
monzon
Fists of Fury
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Valero's Conscience
tunes666
BoxingFan88
All Time Great
SharkSoul
BallchinianMuffwig
Seanusarrilius
TopHat24/7
azania
TheMackemMawler
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
eddyfightfan
Volcanicash
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
captain carrantuohil
Lumbering_Jack
88Chris05
AlexHuckerby
26 posters

Go down

Brook Vs. Alexander - Early Predictions Empty Brook Vs. Alexander - Early Predictions

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 06 Jan 2013, 2:52 pm

So what's everyone's early view on this then?

I think it's an extremely hard fight to call really. Brook hasn't ever been in this deep, but Alexander hasn't always looked particularly convincing to me. Alexander has much more experience on the world level stage, however Brook has looked as though he could fight at world level for some time now but was pushed far too hard by Jones as his conditioning seemed to not quite be right. Supposedly this is now sorted and looking at how ripped he looked in his last fight that could be the case.

Alexander for me has always looked like a really good fighter, has had flashes of pure brilliance like the uppercut against Urango and flashes or real class against Maidana etc. However, he's just to me never quite looked... Special. Never been 100% convinced about him, especially against Bradley, seemingly almost giving up and never truly giving it a real go. Just seems to not have that extra drive in him what others may have, that special inner grit that certain fighters that aren't as talented as him sometimes have that make them as special like Rios, that extra bit in him that pushes him further, being 100% willing to take the punches to get to someone when it isn't going right. Chin department however, he's always looked pretty solid, taken quite a few solid looking blows and never looked too troubled, against Bailey, who as we all know is a ridiculously concussive puncher caught him with a few good punches towards the end of there fight but never made a real dent in him.

Brook is a bit difficult as we have only ever seen him tested once, against Jones, and he has a completely different style than Alexander does. In truth Brook has never actually faced anyone like Alexander, an awkward southpaw with a lot of movement. This can only be worked against him, his lack of experience against anyone with mobility is slightly worrying, however you occassionally get a feeling with a fighter, a feeling of what they can and can't do and I just get a feelign Brook can do this. Technically speaking without having the correct level of opponent to do this, with Alexander having fought at a much higher level constinently throughout his career, however again he has not exactly looked supreme and at times against Bradley especially, very amateurish, poking out with the punches at times without any real thought behind them, which is often of a man without a clear and decisive gameplan, or without confidence.

My thoughts are Brook by decision in a fight that will occassionally get a bit scrappy.

Thoughts?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Brook Vs. Alexander - Early Predictions Empty Re: Brook Vs. Alexander - Early Predictions

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 3:25 pm

I think you've painted a good picture there, Alex. Likewise, I can see it being a very cagey and dull affair. The problem is that Brook and Alexander are both a little one-paced, neither are particularly big hitters and both like to fight at range. Styles make fights, and all that, and these two styles make for a stinker.

I'm going for Brook by a tight decision, too, provided he's in top shape. Alexander always seems to tire in the home stretch, to me, and Brook's such an accurate puncher I think he can just out-time and out-smart Devon, who I've never really been sold on. My only worry is that Brook will be daunted by being out in the States against an experienced belt holder, but if he's focussed on the job I think he can edge this one.

Brook by a couple of rounds, providing Alexander doesn't get another one of his customary decision gifts, that is!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Brook Vs. Alexander - Early Predictions Empty Re: Brook Vs. Alexander - Early Predictions

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 06 Jan 2013, 3:33 pm

Alexander beats him on points. Carson Jones is basically a journeyman who went on a decent run, a brook struggled like mad with him.

I know Alexander has a different style but Brook has convinced me with that poor performance that he doesn't have what it takes.

Coming out with lines like "now I realise you have to train hard to be the best" are astonishing for where he is at.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 06 Jan 2013, 4:44 pm

This fight reminds me of a few others down the years that have involved British fighters going to the States with an apparently decent chance of bringing home the bacon. Contests such as Holmes-Woodhall, Ruelas-Schwer, Hardy-Canizales II, Woods-Tarver, Eastman-Joppy.

It can't be underestimated how difficult it has been historically for British fighters to go to the States and take away a title from a local fighter, particularly when that fighter is somewhere near his prime. It normally takes one of our very best to do the trick, and I'm not quite convinced that Kell is of that level. Very accomplished, better than European class, for sure, but not quite as good as we may think on this side of the water. I would argue that Carson Jones was the best fighter that Kell has faced so far, and the Sheffield man looked desperately out of his depth for stretches of that fight. Alexander will not need to be Ray Leonard reincarnated to get this job done.

I can see Brook starting brightly, but getting outworked and hurt as the contest hots up. Despite his decent KO percentage, Brook is not a heavy hitter in world terms, and in direct contrast with Chris, who is unsure about Alexander's stamina, I have a slight doubt about Brook's ability to be effective at the end of 12 rounds of a world title fight. I'll take Alexander to overcome an early deficit and land enough late shots to bring about a stoppage after about 10 rounds.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 06 Jan 2013, 5:12 pm

When the fight was made, there were 2 big questions and they haven't changed. Where in Brook's resume is evidence he can handle a slippery southpaw. And, does his last 3 round fight, tell us anything about whether his conditioning has improved. He looked great against jone's in the early rounds too.

Given there are 2 unknowns as far as I'm concerned, it's a mugs game predicting this one. Brook showed heart against jones, when his engine had gone, and I have a suspicion he has more of that than Alexander. Whether that comes into play who knows, but I have a feeling he could do a Bradley on him, if he has the legs. Just an inkling, and delivered with no confidence

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 5:24 pm

Brook by decision...too good..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Sun 06 Jan 2013, 7:48 pm

Smart money is on Alexander, fast hands, good workrate, proved against Matthysee and Maidana he has a good chin etc, been in with far better quaility opposition. Should have lost to Kotelnik and Matthysee but aside from that and since the Bradley fight has looked better and better.

Brook on the other hand for him this is the acid test, would have liked him to be certain he's ironed out his flaws before going in with Alexander, but at least he's shown he can bite down on his gumshield when taken to the trenches.

So have to go for Alexander but do feel Brook will have his moments in the early rounds but that tide will turn as he's out thought and out fought!

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 06 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm

im backing brook, i see similarities between the fighters, both like to box from the outside and try and slip punches- i think brook will be stronger and will stop him late on.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 06 Jan 2013, 8:45 pm

As everyone has mentioned its a really hard fight to call and comes down to how Brook can handle the jump up in class

Alexander is a very good fighter but has had his troubles in his career to date. A loss to Bradley showed that he can be discouraged and won't be the type to rally to come from behind. Technically he has one loss but as someone has alluded to, he got beaten by both Kotelnik and Alexander imo and was very very lucky to get the decisions. He has performed well at 147 since the jump but he hasn't really tested himself either at this weight. Maidana hasn't looked as good or as powerful at 147 and Bailey was past it and couldn't pull the trigger although did have a bit of success when he did throw

Brook on the other hand has looked brilliant at times, but the big thing against him is lack of big fights and most importantly that he struggled in his biggest fight to date and lack of conditioning was huge.

Brook is the bigger man, the natural welter and has the heavier hands. Alexander probably edges it in handspeed, movement and conditioning (not great as he looked very ragged over 10 vs Matthysse and Kotelnik wasn't great but Brook looked poor vs jones and less so vs hatton). Both have decent reflex based defense so don't get caught very often, but when they do get hit its normally clean as they don't block alot. Alexander won't go forward unless he hurts brook and is safety first.

Brook to win a close UD but there is always the chance that Alexander will get another dodgy decision

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:10 pm

Alexander UD. Easy Win.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:20 pm

Alexander does everything Brook only better. Late stoppage or decisive points win. The added bonus of being a lefty works in his favour. Nothing to do with Brook's conditioning. At WW\ Alexander is a better fighter than he was at LWW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:28 pm

I had a dream. And it went exactly as the Captain has predicted.

Alexander TKO 10.

Don't want it to be true, want a crowing UD performance from Brook, but just have that bad feeling my dream was a vision....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

Draw. And it will get scrappy

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

I reckoned draw, but now I'm leaning towards Alexander.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 07 Jan 2013, 5:46 pm

Devon Alexander for me. I just don't think Brook has what it takes on the world stage and Devons is a smooth operator.

Kells performance against Carson Jones was brushed off with his 'conditioning' or lack there of but I think it was more than that and we caught a glimpse of the first chinks in his armour. Devon will exploit these.

Alexander UD.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Mon 07 Jan 2013, 8:34 pm

I'm predicting quite a dull affair I'm afraid. Will most likely go to points with Devon Alexander slipping punches and winning by a UD.

Brook is above European level, but doesn't belong in the top 20 P4P list.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 07 Jan 2013, 10:46 pm

Brook by UD, but I could envisage Alexander getting an undeserved decision.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:27 am

Brook to get a UD. Just because he has not fought at this level it does not mean he cant.

and the fight against C Jones was obviously a bad night as he has dealt with better fighters with way more ease, and he clearly ran out of Gas in that fight and it had little to do with a lack of ability.

I think Brook is a very good fighter and although it will be a hard fight, he will do enough to win. lets just hope there is no robbery.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 08 Jan 2013, 8:35 am

Going with an ALexander points win in a boring fight.

Alexander has more experience in big fights, whilst Brook has only had a couple of fairly big domestic fights which may be pivotal.

Saying that, Alexander did quit in his biggest fight so Brook might be abkle to break him if he puts enough pressure on.

Alexander may also get helped with the scoring being in the US and US crowd influence.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:02 am

Anyone think Brooks conditioning may be affected by how muscular he is? You see it with other fighters - although usually at higher weights - takes a lot of oxygen to keep big muscles going.

As for the actual fight, I agree that it'll be a dull, cagey affair - I think the more experienced Alexander will win an ugly decision.

Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:02 am

Wow, rare we see a big fight so split in opinion these days. Great to see, it means we finally have a legitimate matchup between two prime fighters. Wasn't that difficult after all, was it? Well done Eddie Hearn.

For me...ah I don't know, close points win either way, perhaps leaning toward Alexander.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Tue 08 Jan 2013, 11:17 am

Alexander on points seems like a bit of a banker to me. I certainly don't think it will end in a stoppage either way, unless there's a cut. Brook, for my money, still has to prove whether he can get tough when the tough gets going against world level operators.

Sadly, as we've seen many times recently, being brave and tough often isn't good enough over the pond, even when fighters have very admirable skillsets themselves. Alexander will break Brook's heart, and if he doesn't, the judges might.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Wow, rare we see a big fight so split in opinion these days. Great to see, it means we finally have a legitimate matchup between two prime fighters. Wasn't that difficult after all, was it? Well done Eddie Hearn.

For me...ah I don't know, close points win either way, perhaps leaning toward Alexander.

We were pretty split on the Froch vs Bute fight as well..

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:42 pm

monzon wrote:Alexander on points seems like a bit of a banker to me. I certainly don't think it will end in a stoppage either way, unless there's a cut. Brook, for my money, still has to prove whether he can get tough when the tough gets going against world level operators.

Sadly, as we've seen many times recently, being brave and tough often isn't good enough over the pond, even when fighters have very admirable skillsets themselves. Alexander will break Brook's heart, and if he doesn't, the judges might.

Very true, although I think we are being harsh on Brook for the Jones fight, he absolutely dominated him in the first 6 rounds, if he can have better conditioning and last the 12 rounds at a pace, then he will go far.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 08 Jan 2013, 2:07 pm

Not sure that we can say that Brook absolutely dominated Jones in the first six. Had the better of, certainly, but just as the last six weren't entirely one-way traffic in the American's favour, Jones had his moments in the early going.

We have to remember that this was a majority decision that might have been even closer. To me, Jones is easily the best fighter that Brook has come up against. N'Dou has a good name, but was only ever a durable gate-keeper, albeit briefly a world belt-holder. By the time he fought Kell, he was virtually 40. Beyond that, Hatton and Jackiewicz are European class, but no better than that.

We don't have much evidence other than the Jones fight of Kell's ability to last 12 rounds at world championship pace, that's the trouble. That fight alone set the warning lights flashing for me, and in the absence of proof to the contrary, I make Alexander an outstanding bet. It's actually a bet that I shall strike at the dear old bookies if Brook looks anything like being favourite just before the contest.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 08 Jan 2013, 2:09 pm

That's the if though, boxing fan. He faded against hatton and jones. Great if he's sorted out his conditioning... Some fighters just don't have the stamina. We'll find out soon enough, though this may be more the fight to test the other unknown... How does he match up against a slick lefty.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 08 Jan 2013, 2:28 pm

Alexander seems the more likely pick -- he's the more seasoned guy and boxing at home. He also has experience of Ingle fighters (Witter) who he dealt with very impressively. His straight right hand worked a treat (although Brook keeps a higher guard than Witter).

Brook would need to produce something very special to win you feel.

Graham Houston, though, the best tipster going in my opinion, suggested that Brook is more likely to score a knockdown, which could sway a tight verdict, so there's hope.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Jan 2013, 3:35 pm

Apparently Kell Brook sparred with Junior Witter a lot when he was coming through around the time he was British Champion under Warren, the only form of preparation in his career for this task.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:17 pm

Alexander isn't the type of fighter to make the most of Brooks apparent engine problems so the slicker more accurate puncher will be able to dictate terms and march towards a comfortable if not convincing victory.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:35 pm

And the slicker more accurate puncher is?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:39 pm

Laugh

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:41 pm

Dammit, Brook.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 10 Jan 2013, 1:02 am

brook will have to dictate the pace if he wants to get a decision. im not sure he has the concentration or energy needed to follow and outbox alexander for 12 rounds. if its close alexander wins. im expecting brook to lose one way or another.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Thu 10 Jan 2013, 1:16 am

I said the same Lance. A UD in Alexanders favour albeit a close one a UD nonetheless. I would obviously love Kell to beat him and I will be rooting for him but I just don't think he will. Let's hope I'm wrong.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down