The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Morgan Stoddart Retires

+7
Hound_of_Harrow
glamorganalun
pioden gorllewin
LordDowlais
Comfort
Ospreydragon
ScarletSpiderman
11 posters

Go down

Morgan Stoddart Retires Empty Morgan Stoddart Retires

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 15:04

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/5456.php wrote:Stoddart said: "It is with real sadness that I have to announce my retirement from rugby and it has been a difficult few months as I come to terms with the fact that I was not going to return to full fitness. I have been very fortunate to play for the Scarlets and Wales and have enjoyed every game in my professional career working alongside some brilliant fellow professionals.

"I worked as hard as possible in the year I was off to get back on the pitch and that can be a difficult period for any injured player mentally, as well as physically, but I was determined to get back to playing.

"But ever since I've been back on the field I've had significant pain in the leg throughout and that has not improved. Following a series of medical tests and consultations, detailed scans and strength tests, I've been advised that I cannot continue."

Stoddart said it was tough to have to give up his rugby career but easier to an extent because the choice was taken out of his hands. "It's not easy to give up your rugby career but when it really is impossible to carry on you just have to accept it and get on with it.

"I have some great memories that I will never forget and the Scarlets and all our supporters have been fantastic over the years. It was an honour to play in the Scarlets shirt, with all the great names that have been part of our region throughout our history and a pleasure to play in front of our Scarlets supporters who are the life and soul of our region.

"I will miss all the spirit and passion of Scarlets rugby and the level of commitment and hard work the players put in for our region and its supporters of which I have been proud to have been a part.

"I'm grateful for all the great opportunities and experiences I have had in my rugby career and there are many brilliant memories including the Heineken Cup with the Scarlets and playing for my country.

Stoddart thanked all those who have worked with him: "I owe a great amount to the physios and doctors who have given me so much time and commitment to help try and get my leg right, without their support and encouragement it could have been a dark 14 months in recovery.

"I would also like to thank all the coaches I have worked with from my first games in the Rhondda up to international level."

As for life after rugby, Stoddart who studied bio-chemistry said: "I'll have to adapt and it's important to give yourself time to consider things in the future after such an intense life playing rugby but I have already started thinking ahead and there are many exciting opportunities for me related to my career to look at and take forward which will keep me occupied now."

Morgan's brother Hywel Stoddart is a member of Newport Gwent Dragons squad.

Stoddart has been offered support and advice for his future career aspirations both by the WRU and the Scarlets.

Gutted to hear this, even though I had heard rumour it was the case. Really gutting to see such an attractive attacking player having to retire so young. However I am glad to see that he is not risking futher injury.

All the best to him for his future, he will be sorely missed.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Morgan Stoddart Retires Empty Re: Morgan Stoddart Retires

Post by Ospreydragon Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 15:09

That's very bad news. He was an excellent attacking runner, and I was hoping he was going to recover well and play fior Wales again.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 15:13

Gutting for him, he was looking like the international player everyone was hoping he would become before his leg break.

Good luck to him with his future.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 15:20

Very sad news indeed, but lets be honest he was always an injury waiting to happen, best of luck to him for the future, he will always be in the catagory of what could have been, a bit like Rhys Williams for Cardiff and the Blues, absoluley dynamic when fit, but alas hardley ever fit.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 15:25

it's a shame, he worked so hard to come back from this injury. wish him all the best for the future. diolch morgan.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 15:32

pioden gorllewin wrote:it's a shame, he worked so hard to come back from this injury. wish him all the best for the future. diolch morgan.

And to be honest most people thought he had managed to recover as well, especially scoring on his return against the Dragons.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 17:32

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
pioden gorllewin wrote:it's a shame, he worked so hard to come back from this injury. wish him all the best for the future. diolch morgan.

And to be honest most people thought he had managed to recover as well, especially scoring on his return against the Dragons.

Agreed, he showed very good pace to score on his comeback, maybe he came back too soon it was an ba injury. I wish him the best of luck in or out of rugby.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 17:41

This is a shame for Stoddart. He was always good to watch.

Good luck fella.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 17:52

will he drop down a few level our do you think he will drop out. Even though he may not be match fit I sould hope he could still play a few division down as fitness is choice rather then a requirement. Also who wouldn't want him on the bench for 20mins each game. at professional level no but amatuer why not.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 17:53

All the best to the lad he was a cracking player especially in attack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 17:54

Terrible news. All the best to him for his future. 28 is very young. A talent unfulfilled.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 19:30

Brendan wrote:will he drop down a few level our do you think he will drop out. Even though he may not be match fit I sould hope he could still play a few division down as fitness is choice rather then a requirement. Also who wouldn't want him on the bench for 20mins each game. at professional level no but amatuer why not.

Judging by what he said in the interview, he was suffering persistent pain in his leg. Compensating for that would bring more problems elsewhere.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 19:44

Brendan wrote:will he drop down a few level our do you think he will drop out. Even though he may not be match fit I sould hope he could still play a few division down as fitness is choice rather then a requirement. Also who wouldn't want him on the bench for 20mins each game. at professional level no but amatuer why not.

Probably not a good idea as no doubt he has an insurance claim as a pro player.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 20:31

Sorry to hear that always liked him as a player. All the best for the future.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 10:59

Such a big shame - I'd heard rumours to this effect for the last month or so, but I was in denial as he looked so good against the Dragons and seemed to be fit.

Big loss for Scarlets and a big loss for Wales when you think of the form he was showing pre-injury.

I hope he goes on to do equally as well in whatever else he decides to go into. All the best for the future

Another Scarlet bites the dust for Wales...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 11:09

Preist - yeah but he goes down with the likes of Daf and Mark Jones who had to retire due to welsh squad injuries. I guess that is pretty good company.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 11:13

Yeah and I wouldn't be surprised to see North follow them in a few years...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down