The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olly Morgan Retires

+11
ChequeredJersey
Geordie
Bathite
bedfordwelsh
maestegmafia
VietGwentRevisited
Bathman_in_London
gregortree
Scrumpy
doctor_grey
HongKongCherry
15 posters

Go down

Olly Morgan Retires Empty Olly Morgan Retires

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:51 pm

The inevitable has happened and Olly Morgan has announced his retirment at the age of 27. A product of the Glaws academy he made 131 appearances for the club and was capped twice by England. He was another player blighted by injury and by his own admission his body wasn't built for rugby. Had he not had so many injuries there is no doubt he would have been capped far more often by England. Having seen him play so often, I can genuinely say I have not seen a better player under the high ball; he could catch balls he had no right to and was able to use this as an attacking weapon as well as defensive.

It is never nice to see a player forced to retire, but especially such an unfulfilled talent. He will unfortunately join the ranks of the likes of James Forrester; an outstanding talent who we never saw the best of. He will be joining the ranks of the coaching team at Glaws.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Olly Morgan Retires Empty Re: Olly Morgan Retires

Post by doctor_grey Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

Agree. Complete shame. I think you are exactly right, a body not made for Rugby, but blessed with terrific skill. I am sure that I never saw him play when he was 100% right, but I was impressed none the less. Classic case of injuries getting the upper hand and never letting go.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

Another one bites the dust.

All the best in your new post, maybe he should be the new front row coach as he can't do any worse than what they have already! Wink 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:12 pm

There's a time and a place Scrumpy and I feel you were misguided to post that.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:12 pm

clap +1 to Olly, great shame his body was not as strong as his courage.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:20 pm

A real shame, had he stayed fit he would have been the England full back for the last 4 years I think.

You do wonder if players like him would have fared in the amateur days before tackling 18 stone monsters became the norm. Very well would be my guess.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:22 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:There's a time and a place Scrumpy and I feel you were misguided to post that.

The guys retired from rugby not died, sad yes but there is life after the game.

I wish him well.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:47 pm

Real shame, though to be expected. Hope his coaching career goes well.

I suspect we will see more of this as modern rugby gets more and more physical.

A team of players who could have shone at RWC 2015 but had to retire early would be a talented one.

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:15 pm

Sad news. He was a great Gloucester player who show a great deal of promise as an international. Very sad news.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 09 Oct 2013, 3:31 pm

Always liked what I seen of him shame at young age but more and more are having to retire now at far younger age.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 09 Oct 2013, 3:42 pm

VietGwentRevisited wrote:Real shame, though to be expected. Hope his coaching career goes well.

A team of players who could have shone at RWC 2015 but had to retire early would be a talented one.
Now that's a challenge...

2 Mears
4 Blaze
7 Rees
8 Forrester
9 Ellis
13 Hipkiss - at a push
15 Morgan

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 09 Oct 2013, 3:44 pm

Is he a big earner at Glos. Will that extra money go in to the forwards or backs...im assuming the forwards?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 09 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm

Glaws need to invest time, money, players, team effort and coaching into the front 3/ 5.
We have been especially shaky there all this season, not to mention last season.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 09 Oct 2013, 5:09 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Is he a big earner at Glos. Will that extra money go in to the forwards or backs...im assuming the forwards?
He is one of our top earners and as we have Cook and Thomas as FB with additional cover from May, Sharples, B.Burns and Mills I'd fully expect his salary will go towards a front 5 forward.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 10 Oct 2013, 9:29 am

If I only had one player to spend it on it would be a top class TH, a position which commands one of the highest squad wages. 2nd up would be a top class lock. I wont mention Sarries pay 'cap'.
On a different tack I would point to the excellent teamwork shown by Exeter forwards whose combined pay is doubtless much less than those of more illustrious packs, but who are well motivated and extremely effective as a unit.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:36 am

gregortree wrote:I wont mention Sarries pay 'cap'.
Oh god, you'll have Beshocked on here in no time! :run:

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:46 am

I didn't mention it.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:53 am

Bathite wrote:
VietGwentRevisited wrote:Real shame, though to be expected. Hope his coaching career goes well.

2 Mears
4 Blaze
6 Dan Ward-Smith
7 Rees
8 Forrester
9 Ellis
13 Hipkiss - at a push
15 Morgan
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 12:39 pm

I wonder how much insurance payouts have to do with retirements?

Steve Thompson got over 500K GBP for retiring early on insurance payouts and a medical signoff.
Tom Rees was able to pay for his medical studies with his payout.

Are players weighing up a big lump sum vs. a couple more years playing when they realise injuries are starting to take its toll and that they are no longer in test match rugby?

If they play up to the end of their contract they will get no insurance money. If they leave mid-contract on medical advice they will get a bumper pay day.

How many pro rugby players aged 28+ after a long injury are going beyond medical advice to keep on playing? I imagine quite a fair few.

Not being cynical but even 100k is a lot of money for a pro rugby player.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 10 Oct 2013, 12:46 pm

fa0019 wrote:I wonder how much insurance payouts have to do with retirements?

Steve Thompson got over 500K GBP for retiring early on insurance payouts and a medical signoff.

Are players weighing up a big lump sum vs. a couple more years playing when they realise injuries are starting to take its toll and that they are no longer in test match rugby?

If they play up to the end of their contract they will get no insurance money. If they leave mid-contract on medical advice they will get a bumper pay day.

How many pro rugby players aged 28+ after a long injury are going beyond medical advice to keep on playing? I imagine quite a fair few.

To be fair, medical studies as an undergrad in the UK will only have cost Tom £54,000, for which he would have been eligible for a partial loan anyway
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 10 Oct 2013, 12:49 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Bathite wrote:

1 Trevor Woodman
2 Mears
4 Blaze
6 Dan Ward-Smith
7 Rees
8 Forrester
9 Ellis
13 Hipkiss - at a push
15 Morgan
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 12:52 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

To be fair, medical studies as an undergrad in the UK will only have cost Tom £54,000, for which he would have been eligible for a partial loan anyway
Perhaps costs of living were included???

6 years - Fees 9K (+54k yes)
Cost of living - what a further 10K a year min???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 10 Oct 2013, 12:54 pm

fa0019 wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Perhaps costs of living were included???

6 years - Fees 9K (+54k yes)
Cost of living - what a further 10K a year min???
Depends where you live but yeah that looks right
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 10 Oct 2013, 12:55 pm

Steve Thompson had to pay that 500k back to the insurance company when he came out of retirement. Very brave on many levels!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

Bathite wrote:Steve Thompson had to pay that 500k back to the insurance company when he came out of retirement. Very brave on many levels!
Yeah I recall that and given he had ballooned in weight any idea of him getting back into the national team was unlikely... it shows that money was less important to him then some may expect.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Oct 2013, 1:32 pm

gregortree wrote:If I only had one player to spend it on it would be a top class TH, a position which commands one of the highest squad wages. 2nd up would be a top class lock.  I wont mention Sarries pay 'cap'.
On a different tack I would point to the excellent teamwork shown by Exeter forwards whose combined pay is doubtless much less than those of more illustrious packs, but who are well motivated and extremely effective as a unit.
Gregor / HkC,

Didnt you have a young TH ...is it Knight , who was getting gametime and looking very impressive? Has he not pushed on, or is it that hes still very young?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 10 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

Geordie, young, maybe still developing.. as they say: props mature later.
But here is Shaun Knight in the local paper.. at least being brutally honest about Glaws' challenge up front this season.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Gloucester-Rugby-sort-scrum-Shaun-Knight/story-19900968-detail/story.html#!

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 10 Oct 2013, 9:48 pm

Knight has been plagued with niggly injuries, so hasn't built the level of fitness required. Many feel he will be our TH of the future, but he's not quite there yet. As the article gregor posted states I feel our major failing is down to the collective effort. Kalamafoni for all his excellence doesn't provide much stability to the prop and in Hudson and Lokotui we don't have scrummaging locks - as they invariably play 5, it means our TH is being exposed. Harden the other option has gone backwards at an alarming rate. It is rather bizarre that this time last season we had the most effective scrum in the Jeff. Tigers tore us apart in December and ever since then the wheels have fallen off.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 11 Oct 2013, 7:58 am

HongKongCherry wrote:Knight has been plagued with niggly injuries, so hasn't built the level of fitness required. Many feel he will be our TH of the future, but he's not quite there yet.  As the article gregor posted states I feel our major failing is down to the collective effort.  Kalamafoni for all his excellence doesn't provide much stability to the prop and in Hudson and Lokotui we don't have scrummaging locks - as they invariably play 5, it means our TH is being exposed.  Harden the other option has gone backwards at an alarming rate.  It is rather bizarre that this time last season we had the most effective scrum in the Jeff.  Tigers tore us apart in December and ever since then the wheels have fallen off.  
May not be the thread but would agree on Harden - looks utterly useless this year. Hudson is powder-puff. What about Savage? I have to say I haven't been that impressed by him either. Doesn't look big enough for lock and your other back-row options looks better.

Also, sad news about Morgan, but nice to hear he's joined the coaching team.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 11 Oct 2013, 12:33 pm

Hood - Savage was outstanding last year, but has been pretty average so far this season. I do wonder if the burden of captaincy has effected his game. He is a pretty big lad at 6'6" and 18st. He could probably do with putting 0.5st on, but his tackling and ball carrying show his explosive power, but he does need to improve his lineout work.

On a seperate note, it has been announced that Morgan will lead the team out tomorrow night. I hope he gets the rapturous applause he truly deserves.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by South West Saint Fri 11 Oct 2013, 12:55 pm

A real shame to hear, he has the potential to be an England regular before injuries ruined season after season for him. Good luck to him in coaching and life.

South West Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down