The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the next Boxing superstar around at the moment ???

+2
azania
TRUSSMAN66
6 posters

Go down

Is the next Boxing superstar around at the moment ??? Empty Is the next Boxing superstar around at the moment ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 7 Jan - 18:15

Ward for me is lacking in the personality department.....Price...Fury...Brook...are lacking in appeal also.....

Khan hasn't the skill........Broner nope.......Martinez is Mexican as is Marquez.......

Floyd is the closest to a superstar.......but he's nearly finished...

Is there a DelaHoya, Leonard, Duran, Leonard, Hagler, Tyson out there at the moment that can capture the imagination of not just Boxing fans but the whole of the sporting and non-sporting world......????

Someone who can put Boxing on the map!!!!...

Is he around now or do we have to wait????

Have we a transcender in the wings ????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is the next Boxing superstar around at the moment ??? Empty Re: Is the next Boxing superstar around at the moment ???

Post by azania Mon 7 Jan - 18:23

I think it will be Broner. He has that appeal which American TV like. Personally I can't stand the contrived oik, but that's what its all about. Making someone have an opinion about you.

azania

Back to top Go down

Is the next Boxing superstar around at the moment ??? Empty Re: Is the next Boxing superstar around at the moment ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 7 Jan - 18:26

He's a good suggestion...not sure he'd have the global appeal of the ones above..

Then again not sure in Boxing's current state whether anybody could..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 7 Jan - 18:28

He won't have global appeal. Only Ali, Tyson and to a lesser extent Leonard had global appeal. But the next big boxing star will be Broner.

Wilder should be big provided he wins a belt. He has a personality. Very ungainly though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 7 Jan - 18:29

Fury with his Irish roots and ..... well.... personality will crossover and win over US audiences, if only for the novelty value.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Mon 7 Jan - 18:31

Erm, I believe Martinez is from Argentina? Oh well, they all look the same :-/...

Back to the article, it's most likely going to be Mr Alvarez and Mr Broner who are likely to appeal to the masses. Having said that, I agree with your points that no real superstar is going to emerge. Pacquiao and Mayweather were superstars in their own right and I believe they would of been talked highly off in any era of boxing. Sincerely believe Pacquiao was a sensation (to watch, but not neccesairly outclass all opponents) between the years of 2005 to 2010.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 7 Jan - 18:32

Fury for me isn't good enough.............

but he has an appeal..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 7 Jan - 18:32

You're right.. apologies...Martinez is from Argy bargy...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 7 Jan - 18:34

For the record Truss Martinez is Argentinian by the way.

For me I would throw it out there for Broner if you want the overall package which makes a superstar including looks, skills, personality and charisma.

If you want to push some of those asides and just look at pure boxing talent then maybe Donaire/Golovkin/Donaire/Rigondeaux.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 7 Jan - 18:37

D'oh on Donaire twice. I'm playing poker so excuse me for not concentrating 100%.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 7 Jan - 18:39

Strip poker I hope...with a bunch of full bodied chicks!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 7 Jan - 18:43

I wish Truss, I wish. Unfortunately online with loads of norwegian nerds.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 7 Jan - 23:07

I think Yafai will be a superstar given time

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 7 Jan - 23:09

Mate.......you never know......

We'll have to see him in with a "pulse" before we can really judge him..

looks good though..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 7 Jan - 23:18

Good as he is, Kal lacks that Generation Y attitude which you need to transcend the sport. Plus he's too small.Naz was a one off as he had shed loads of charisma. Kal is a wet paper bag in comparison.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 7 Jan - 23:56

I take it by superstar, you mean a globally recognised household name. I'm not sure if we will see that again.

I think Manny is better known in this country than Floyd, if only for the Hatton fight. This means, to be MASSIVE in this country you have to fight one of our boys.

Superstars require coverage, and sadly coverage is lacking. Not only is there a lack of fight coverage, but also a lack of media opportunities such as talk shows on Terrestrial TV. However, the introduction of reality TV may give rise to more publicity in the future (Ogogo CBB, Haye ICGMOOH and more recently Nicola Adams and Anthony Joshua on Superstars over Christmas). Giving amateurs coverage now might contribute to creating stars of the future (I'd imagine it' cheaper than hosting Pro's too).

A potential superstar, I assume, would have to be English speaking for Us Brits to consider them such? If so, then America needs to sort it's amateur program and start performing at the Olympics, consistently!

One belt (or at least a champ capable of, and permitted to, a long undisputed reign, free of boxing politics) is required. Too many belts means too much confusion for the general sports fan. I'd imagine Mars bar were more popular before the introduction of Boosts, Starbars and Topics... now it takes me an age to decide upon a snack in a service station (This analogy was supposed to represent how different belts negatively impact popularity, however, it could easily represent the rise of MMA).

It's a sad fact that boxing doesn't capture the imagination like it once did. I guess everyone is just a little bit richer and a little bit more civilised, than in the past, to be wooed by the beautiful barbarity of boxing.

In addition with the global economy the way it is, it's no longer possible to host huge fights in far flung corners of the earth, thus, less people are brought into the fold by the big fight atmosphere.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down