The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bradley Davies requires surgery - Wales lock crisis

+11
munkian
welshy6
SubsBench
bedfordwelsh
Seagultaf
maestegmafia
Looseheaded
Morgannwg
doctornickolas
majesticimperialman
wales606
15 posters

Go down

Bradley Davies requires surgery - Wales lock crisis Empty Bradley Davies requires surgery - Wales lock crisis

Post by wales606 Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

Davies picked up some ligament damage in training and now requires surgery, so we can likely rule him out for most of the 6Ns.

That leaves us without Alun Wyn Jones and Bradley Davies for at least the first few games of the 6Ns, meanwhile Charteris is out for the season and Ian Evans is yet to return for the Ospreys.

Who will start at Lock against Ireland?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Bradley Davies requires surgery - Wales lock crisis Empty Re: Bradley Davies requires surgery - Wales lock crisis

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:00 pm

Wales do seem to be having some very bad luck when it comes to injureys.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Bradley Davies requires surgery - Wales lock crisis Empty Re: Bradley Davies requires surgery - Wales lock crisis

Post by doctornickolas Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:17 pm

Bad news. That's all 4 first choice locks out of the 6 nations by the look of things.

Probably Lou Reed will start with AN other but we are looking very light in that area now.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

Ryan Jones and Ian Evans (hopefully), otherwise it looks like it will be Reed and Ryan with King on the bench.

So if Lydiate is not fit, we will have to play Shingler at 6 (is he fit yet? - if not Navidi or Warburton to play 6)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:24 pm

Our injury list has shrunk a but, its just the 4 locks injured that is the problem.

Injury list
Aaron Jarvis - prop
Huw Bennett - hooker
Bradley Davies - lock
Alun Wyn Jones - lock
Ian Evans - lock
Luke Charteris - lock
Dan Lydiate - flanker
Aaron Shingler - flanker
James Hook - fly-half
Rhys Priestland - fly-half
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 12 Jan 2013, 3:51 pm

Luckily Ireland will be without O'Connell. Ryan and McCarthy are decent enough but I don't think they'll do damage. Reed is the obvious choice. Might Gatland recall Ian Gough?...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 12 Jan 2013, 3:56 pm

There's also Adam Jones at the Dragons. But I suppose if he was to be picked it would have come years ago.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sat 12 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

With that list, I'd be looking at a group of Lou Reed, Ryan Jones, Ian Gough, Macauley Cook, and any of the big names if they come back from injury.

Not exactly reassuring.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 12 Jan 2013, 4:59 pm

Looseheaded wrote:With that list, I'd be looking at a group of Lou Reed, Ryan Jones, Ian Gough, Macauley Cook, and any of the big names if they come back from injury.

Not exactly reassuring.

James Down trained with the squad in the autumn, I would expect him to be ahead of Cook at the Blues and with Wales. Although I wouldn't like to see either in a Welsh shirt yet.

James King has been playing very well at lock for the Ospreys.

I don't expect Gough to be recalled, just like I don't expect Stephen Jones or Lee Byrne to be recalled.

Lou Reed is the only other capped lock available.

I just pray that Ian Evans return before Ireland and Ryan Jones and Lou Reed stay fit.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 Jan 2013, 5:56 pm

Keep Lou Reed out of it. King or Kelly even young Lilly's at the ospreys all looking better than reed.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 12 Jan 2013, 9:13 pm

No they aren't.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 13 Jan 2013, 9:48 am

Lou Reed is a very good player, his problem has allways been fitness. I have never been sure whether this is due to injuries or lack of effort. I am sure that the Scarlets would not have released him if they had not been told by the WRU that they had to take on the Ospreys squad members.

The worrying thing is that currently Reed is the number one Welsh lock and as for no2? Who knows.

King and Peers have looked OK playing in a dominant Ospreys 8, Ryan has done a job in the past, but the scrum will struggle. Downs is very athletic but lacks physicality and Cook just does not look up to regional level at present. Ball at the Scarlets is Welsh qualified and has looked good on occasions, but again does not look fit. Also Jon Thomas, Turnbull, Shingler and Macusker have played lock.....but badly!

I suspect we will see Reed and Ryan start against Ireland with hopefully a reasonably fit Evans on the bench. If not King, Peers and or Downs may come into the equation.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 13 Jan 2013, 6:39 pm

Hopefully both Lydiate and Evans will return in time allowing a 2nd row combo of Evans and R Jones.

If not then there maybe the need to recall Goughie for experience along with Reed, King and the other young Osprey lock
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Sun 13 Jan 2013, 6:53 pm

Apparently Ryan went off with a hand injury today. Anyone know how serious it is?

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 Jan 2013, 7:10 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Hopefully both Lydiate and Evans will return in time allowing a 2nd row combo of Evans and R Jones.

If not then there maybe the need to recall Goughie for experience along with Reed, King and the other young Osprey lock

As I said I really wouldn't worry about giving King and Evans a go.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 13 Jan 2013, 8:10 pm

Maes,

I think we may have to if injuries not pick up but would be worried if we had to go for a combo out of King Reed or the other Os lad.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 Jan 2013, 8:24 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Maes,

I think we may have to if injuries not pick up but would be worried if we had to go for a combo out of King Reed or the other Os lad.

Rather the two Os lads Peers and King or Kelly over Reed.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 13 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm

Not dis-agreeing Maes but Reed was involved in the AIs so likely to be involved now.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 13 Jan 2013, 9:06 pm

What's up with Ryan Jones being selected at 2nd row, he hasn't played there this season. Perhaps the Wales management should ask the Ospreys to start him there against Treviso.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Sun 13 Jan 2013, 10:18 pm

basically we are in trouble... now where are those south African locks with welsh Granny's? after all if England and every other nation is benefitting from these laws why don't we!!!!!!!

(please do not take this comment seriously just taking the mick!)

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 14 Jan 2013, 9:01 am

Charteris - unavailable
AWJ - not available for first games
Bradley Davies - unavailable for at least first few games
Ian Evans - won't play next week, doubt for the Ireland game
Ryan Jones - doubt for the Ireland game
Dan Lydiate - unavailable for the Ireland game
Aaron Shinger - doubt for the Ireland game
Richard Hibbard - doubt for the Ireland game

This is turning into a 4,5,6 crisis.

I doubt even NZ could field much quality if they lost 4 locks and 3 blindsides.

If all those players miss the Ireland game, then I really can't see our pack competing to be honest.

1. Paul James
2. Matthew Reed
3. Adam Jones
4. Lou Reed
5. James King/Lloyd Peer
6. Sam Warburton
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Toby Faletau
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Jan 2013, 9:05 am

Rees wouldn't be such a bad choice at No2 thats still a pretty strong front row.

2nd row would obviously be huge weakness

Thats the back row most called for in the AIs so again not that big a drop.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:23 am

Lydiate will be back, hes a machine. Lewis Evans is also playing very well at the Dragons at the moment - we have good back row cover
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

I wouldn't be too upset at Navidi playing 6 either. It's lock that's the big worry. Is Ian Gough a viable option? He provides so much physicality, and we are looking at quite a lightweight pack.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:37 am

Navidi would be a good shout at 6
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:51 am

Navidi should get a cap, seems a hardworker. His Dad is an Iranian werestler I believe Shocked

I'd like to see Goughy back in the mix - if only to cover injuries
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:56 am

BlueNote wrote:I wouldn't be too upset at Navidi playing 6 either. It's lock that's the big worry. Is Ian Gough a viable option? He provides so much physicality, and we are looking at quite a lightweight pack.

With out current injury crisis and the likes of Jones and Shingler doubts then to me Goughie is very much an option. He may not last full 80but would bust a gut for 50-55 minutes and his experience alongside say King or Peers could be vital.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 14 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm

I'd be perfectly happy with Gough starting. It's all well and good building for the future, but not when you've got an injury crisis and haven't won a proper Test match for almost a year.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 14 Jan 2013, 1:36 pm

"It's all well and good building for the future, but not when you've got an injury crisis and haven't won a proper Test match for almost a year.."

Agreed.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 14 Jan 2013, 6:33 pm

According to the BBC

Ashley Beck (centre) - will miss first two Six Nations games
Huw Bennett (hooker) - targeting return in February
Luke Charteris (lock) - out for the season
Bradley Davies (lock) - unlikely to feature in Six Nations
Ian Evans (lock) - expected to be fit for the Six Nations
James Hook (fly-half) - expected to be fit for Six Nations
Aaron Jarvis (prop) - out for the season
Alun Wyn Jones (lock) - will miss start of Six Nations
Ryan Jones (lock/back-row) - awaiting confirmation
Dan Lydiate (flanker) - set to return in February
Rhys Priestland (fly-half) - out for the season
Aaron Shingler (flanker) - set to return in January
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 14 Jan 2013, 6:51 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'd be perfectly happy with Gough starting. It's all well and good building for the future, but not when you've got an injury crisis and haven't won a proper Test match for almost a year.

Yes totally agree and some people need to realise this aswell. We need Steve-o!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Jan 2013, 7:37 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Not dis-agreeing Maes but Reed was involved in the AIs so likely to be involved now.

Aye and I think that showed he doesn't have the ability to play international rugby. I would rather see is blood talented you g lads than resort to ageing or inadequate players.

With an unfeasibly large injury list going in to this championship we can't expect too much. But using it to plan for the future and increase the exposure will see us in good stead for the future.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:27 am

With the news Ryan Jones is out to I think Gough has to start now alongside King or Peers.

We know he will bust a gut for 50-55 minutes then bring King or Peers on, Lewis Evans on bench as well as backrow cover.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:22 am

Looks like Kohn is putting his hand up for Wales duty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21016345

He's certainly a grafter, not sure how he shapes up against the Welsh regions locks.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:31 am

Gough and Sidoli for me. You want some grunt, there it is. We've got a young back row that will do a lot of running around.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down