The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWE's obsession with numbers, dates and anniversaries

5 posters

Go down

WWE's obsession with numbers, dates and anniversaries Empty WWE's obsession with numbers, dates and anniversaries

Post by bretmeharty Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

With the 20yr special this week and others such as 1000 ep special etc,

Does it hinder the growing of the current era when there is so much build up from special to special with what seems more delves into the past then I can remember from previous eras. I dont remember them quoting numbers and having 100 ep specials etc.
I do remember they had an awards thing in about 03 to celebrate 10 years of raw but they didnt call on guys from 93-99 .It was skits with the then current wrestlers.

As much as I love a good austin attitude moment it felt like it had been shown on within the last 6 months and it bored me and im an attuide baby, and thats because it had been shown 6 months ago in July.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

WWE's obsession with numbers, dates and anniversaries Empty Re: WWE's obsession with numbers, dates and anniversaries

Post by Hero Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:08 pm

Apart from the video montages and Ric Flair who wasnt really a huge part of the last 20 years in WWE it wasn't really that full of legends though. I thought for once they did well not to drag out some mid carder from 15 years ago.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

WWE's obsession with numbers, dates and anniversaries Empty Re: WWE's obsession with numbers, dates and anniversaries

Post by Mr Video Man Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:12 pm

Hero wrote:Apart from the video montages and Ric Flair who wasnt really a huge part of the last 20 years in WWE it wasn't really that full of legends though. I thought for once they did well not to drag out some mid carder from 15 years ago.

like this?
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:09 pm

Hero wrote:Apart from the video montages and Ric Flair who wasnt really a huge part of the last 20 years in WWE it wasn't really that full of legends though. I thought for once they did well not to drag out some mid carder from 15 years ago.

I get what your saying, and I agree they did find the right balance on this occasion . it was a successful period with profit and mainstream both going through the roof but if I was a guy trying to make it today in wwe id feel like I have no chance with the constant reference and vibe that era's before are far superior then the current,

I think for all the good that era provided it needs to be toned imo.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:13 pm

The nostalgia fest has been shoved down our throats a lot recently what with all the anniversary shows, I would imagine this is because vince is very pleased with himself and wants that 'look at what I did arnt I cleaver' commendation.

Then again looking at it without the cynicism I would say that these anniversaries give a welcome opportunity to look back at some of the most memorable, entertaining and funny moments in wrestling history along with seeing some of those stars from our childhood reminisce about the good old days when wrestling had attitude!

Either way it's time to move on and focus on the here and now, to make some stars from this current 'era' so that when Raw40 rolls around we will have someone to reminisce over, otherwise an 80 odd year old ric flair elbow dropping a cream sports jacket might not seem as funny...then again...

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:25 pm

Before you referenced it, I did think it seems like any chance to say nudge nudge wink wink look how good we are. Almost like a boys club.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 17 Jan 2013, 12:49 am

The Bob Backlund return in the angle with Angle was good, he was mental and it added something. Now Cena or Miz have to open wide every time Flair is on screen.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down