The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWE's obsession with bringing reality into storylines....

+5
hockeyking0011
Crimey
Mr H
Aaronb33
Brady12
9 posters

Go down

WWE's obsession with bringing reality into storylines.... Empty WWE's obsession with bringing reality into storylines....

Post by Brady12 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 5:50 pm

When done well this can have a really positive effect on storylines but WWE seems intent on over using this concept.

Case in point Kharma....

They have built this character up for weeks as a credible monster who could run over the whole womens division. She never spoke yet viewers were intrigued by where they were going. All of a sudden she falls pregnant & she basically breaks character to reveal this.... Such completely destroying the mystic she'd built up over the last couple of months. This made no sense in terms of the storyline. How many other entertiament shows bring in elements of reality into ficitional storylines? Perhaps suspend her for her actions that way it wouldn't destroy a character that had been built up well over & when she did return it would seem like a big deal.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

WWE's obsession with bringing reality into storylines.... Empty Re: WWE's obsession with bringing reality into storylines....

Post by Aaronb33 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:40 pm

This is exactly what I was saying in the thread I made. I agree 100%.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

WWE's obsession with bringing reality into storylines.... Empty Re: WWE's obsession with bringing reality into storylines....

Post by Brady12 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:53 pm

It's been going on for years remember when Droz joined LOD & they were basically highlight Hawks drug use saying Droz was his replacement? Totally shameless & so unnecessary! Just write him out

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:38 pm

Personally I'm not sure they do overuse it. I think the realism helps create a much more personal feel to a fued if done well, the matt hardy, edge and lita thing was great. Cole making references to Lawlers' late mother was poor form but there have been plenty of opportunities where the WWE have kept real life material personal, and rightly so. Nothing is worse than TNA using Kurt Angles' kids in their storylines, that is just plain wrong.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm

Mr H wrote:Personally I'm not sure they do overuse it. I think the realism helps create a much more personal feel to a fued if done well, the matt hardy, edge and lita thing was great. Cole making references to Lawlers' late mother was poor form but there have been plenty of opportunities where the WWE have kept real life material personal, and rightly so. Nothing is worse than TNA using Kurt Angles' kids in their storylines, that is just plain wrong.

Don't get me wrong Mr H, when it's done well it can be the best thing in wrestling when fact meets fiction it's definately intriguing. The Edge vs Matt Hardy stuff initially superb but played out really badly with Hardy getting squashed.

It's when they use it too much & in the wrong instances it becomes unnecessary & in worst cases completely distasteful.
Worst cases I can think of Jake Roberts real life battle with alocoholism.
CM Punk bringing up Jeff Hardy drug issues - ok this role Pink played superbly but do they really need to use Drug abuse in the current PG era
Big Boss Man involves Big Shows dead father in storyline
Muhammad Hassan basically trying to make money off 9/11
& worst of all Rey wins belt off the back of Eddies death

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 05 Jun 2011, 10:08 pm

I've never understood this huge hatred with Mysterio winning the belt after Eddie's death? I don't think it was ever done disrespectfully, and as shown later since Mysterio has won the world title since then, they weren't completely against giving him a world title anyway, I don't understand what the big problem is?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I've never understood this huge hatred with Mysterio winning the belt after Eddie's death? I don't think it was ever done disrespectfully, and as shown later since Mysterio has won the world title since then, they weren't completely against giving him a world title anyway, I don't understand what the big problem is?

I am not saying Mysterio never deserved to become World champion, I am saying I wouldn't have gone with the way that it happened and if Eddie never died, I am not certain if Rey would have ever of become champion or even a maineventer. Randomly winning the Royal Rumble, becoming a maineventer and winning the WHC at WM put a bad taste in my mouth and gave me the, "that's Flip up" vibe as I was never ok with any of those accomplishments that Rey was given because I truely believe the reason he was given all of those accomplishments was because Eddie died. It may not be THE reason, but it plays a big part in the decision with Rey. He was wearing an EG armband & fans were chafing Eddie as well as the fact he was using the frog splash to win matches.... In his fued with Orton leading upto mania 22 Orton clearly sad 'Eddies gone to hell' if that's not exploiting Eddies death I don't know what is

Bottom line is this. If Eddie were still alive, would Rey ever of become a World Champion or maineventer? Maybe, maybe not. I think he would have been given one World title reign, but I think after that he would have spent most of his career in the mid card.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeyking0011 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:33 pm

Erm Brady hate to break it to you but Shows dad died long before that storyline.....

hockeyking0011

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:48 pm

hockeyking0011 wrote:Erm Brady hate to break it to you but Shows dad died long before that storyline.....

oh ok but you get my drift. I'll replace that one with Cole mentioning Lawlers death in there recent fued

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueDragon1205 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:49 pm

Can I just ask, Why is this Titled WWE? TNA are just as bad and they've not been round anywhere near as long?

Agreed though, Pro Wrestling used far too much real life in their story lines, I remember the good old days when Papashango was putting curses on people left right and centre and there was and a wrestling Barber.
BlueDragon1205
BlueDragon1205

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeyking0011 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:50 pm

Yer I got the drift, just wasnt sure if you knew or not. Smile. I think it should follow the 7 year rule used for recycling storylines.

hockeyking0011

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:07 am

BlueDragon1205 wrote:Can I just ask, Why is this Titled WWE? TNA are just as bad and they've not been round anywhere near as long?

Agreed though, Pro Wrestling used far too much real life in their story lines, I remember the good old days when Papashango was putting curses on people left right and centre and there was and a wrestling Barber.

I don't really watch TNA but I can believe it's rife there too

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by The Awesome Giz Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:16 am

To be fair to Rey, he was never hugely keen on the idea of being champion. In his biography he says that he saw the pressure Eddie was under as champion. He also spoke openly about what he felt when he died, I admit the wwe creative was handled poorly though. And ortons comment were very distasteful.

Though I remember reading somewhere Eddie was booked to win the title after survivor series that year from batista, and he and rey had some good matches that year so who knows how the story lines would have pends out.

The Awesome Giz

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:32 am

Rey should never have held the World HEAVYWEIGHT championship.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

User Name wrote:Rey should never have held the World HEAVYWEIGHT championship.

Is that you Mr. McMahon?

I know the belt was called the World Heavyweight Championship, but when Rey won it, they even took out the Heavyweight part. One of the common complaints about the WWE is that the smaller guys aren't able to main event, or don't win world championships. Just because they decided to name the title a heavyweight title, something they took out when Rey won it, doesn't mean Rey shouldn't win it. It's not like it's a boxing title where there are genuine weight limits.

I must be the only person in the world right now who was happy with Rey winning the title.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:06 pm

I wasnt exactly angry about Rey winning it. I admire the man.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down