The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tomic's improved attitude towards the game

+9
lags72
The Special Juan
CaledonianCraig
bogbrush
LuvSports!
User 774433
newballs
carrieg4
invisiblecoolers
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tomic's improved attitude towards the game Empty Tomic's improved attitude towards the game

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:17 pm

For long his attitude towards the game , hardwork and ethics were questioned, but yesterday he put on a flaw less display on all aspects of questions raised, while the score card might look tricky as it reads 6-7,7-5,7-6,7-6 but the fact is Brands played a superb attacking game [ a bit like a Rosol last year Wimbledon] yet Tomis'c belief and local crowd cheered him for a stunning win.

Tomic vs. Fed won't be an ordinary contest, unless and untill Fed bring his A-game I won't be surprised if there is an upset, Tomic really needs a boost like that kind of giant win against a legend in the biggest stage, Federer better watch out.

Raonic on the other hand looks in imperious form as well as he outclassed Rosol in the identical departments, again its not like Rosol played a stupid game its just Raonic played a better game.

I would really be surprised if Fed go past QF to meet Murray, I smell a potential upset I hope I am wrong.

In general I am very much impressed with the youngsters display in this tournament.

Goffin played a great game to lose in 5 sets to Verdasco
Rhyne Williams again went down to Mayer after a 5 set disaster
[Both player once led 2 sets to 1]
Baby Fed didn't do bad against Bennateau either,
Lucas Lacko [Now 26 however] did take the fight to Tipsy.

Jerry played a great game to come back from 2 set deficit to inflict a stunning win over Somdev
Tomic and Raonic looking in imperious form.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Tomic's improved attitude towards the game Empty Re: Tomic's improved attitude towards the game

Post by carrieg4 Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Can't see it myself IC. If Tomic goes all out he may take the first set but I don't see a victory yet.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Tomic's improved attitude towards the game Empty Re: Tomic's improved attitude towards the game

Post by newballs Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Haven't watched Tomic yet but Federer certainly won't underestimate him.

Of the rest Janowicz is looking like a top 10 player some time soon but Dimitrov was so disappointing

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 pm

carrieg4 wrote:Can't see it myself IC. If Tomic goes all out he may take the first set but I don't see a victory yet.

Unfortunately I had no chance to watch Fed-Davy match to comment on Fed's performance and co-relate with Tommy's performance, Fed's match was 3.30 in the midnight for me. Tomic played a real blinder, and it was a very entertaining match, those who missed the match should really watch it in highlights, specially the 2nd set break point win was awesome.

To add further Tomic's serve now looks world class, can he keep it against the GOAT? or the better question will GOAT let him play that level? I certainly don't think so, but I can assure it won't be an easy match for Fed like in the past, I wasn't impressed by Fed's performance against BP, if he gonna bring in that performance and this Tommy performance would give a run for the money.

I love the site of Fed taming the big bully boys best games, so I wish Tomic bring his A-game and still Fed tame him out with his skill Very Happy , but lets see.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:34 pm

No doubt that Tomic is starting to move in the right direction which is good to see. It will certainly be an interesting match but, as you mentioned, I don't think Fed will let Tomic play his A game for long! We will see and I definitely be watching.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Invisible Coolers
Good article thumbsup

Tomic has a very confident attitude, in-fact some may say too much so.
He said today he thinks he can beat Roger, let's see if he follows it up with a win.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:47 pm

I think both me and Invisible Coolers were arguing last year that in 2013 the youngsters would push on and start to make a mark at the top of the game, let's see if we can be proved right OK

Also Invisible, I remember your prediction that Murray would be world number 1 at some point this year, considering he is unbeaten this year that may not be a bad prediction at all.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 pm

people are making out that if feds doesn't contain tomic's A game feds could lose.
If feds plays well, he wins imo. simples

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:51 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:I think both me and Invisible Coolers were arguing last year that in 2013 the youngsters would push on and start to make a mark at the top of the game, let's see if we can be proved right OK

Also Invisible, I remember your prediction that Murray would be world number 1 at some point this year, considering he is unbeaten this year that may not be a bad prediction at all.

he was at the same stage last year and didn't do onto no1.
He's had good starts to the season before and not gone to no1.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:53 pm

LuvSports! wrote:people are making out that if feds doesn't contain tomic's A game feds could lose.

It's pretty much the same thing though. Fed playing well will enable him to contain Tomic' A game.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 pm

I think Federers problem is not somuch Tomic, or Raonic, or even Tsonga, but all of them in a row.

Compound probability.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:I think both me and Invisible Coolers were arguing last year that in 2013 the youngsters would push on and start to make a mark at the top of the game, let's see if we can be proved right OK

I really would love to see a Tomic push, and if he can get one giant kill that would be great for the game just like 2001 Wim match.

Regarding Murray as No.1, I guess Fed is very much aware of Murray threat in the semi's, and thats one of the reason I guess he might lose before semi's Very Happy , just a small controversy.

come on Tomic give your best shot, we need youngsters march on.

Lets see how it goes IMBL Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 pm

bogbrush wrote:I think Federers problem is not somuch Tomic, or Raonic, or even Tsonga, but all of them in a row.

Compound probability.

Yup BB, I guess Fed will be exhausted by Tomic- Roanic match ups, if he somehow survive there he would be downed on Tsonga's encounter.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:39 pm

LuvSports! wrote:people are making out that if feds doesn't contain tomic's A game feds could lose.

Totally agree.

Why all the panic here? I watched Tomic today against world No.120 Daniel Brands and he was taken to the brink of a fifth set in a match approaching three hours. Now I am sorry but what is there to be impressed in that? All four sets were closely contested as well and bear in mind this was against a player from the Challengers Tour. If Brands can push Tomic so close then the GOAT certainly has the tools to put him to the sword. Tomic is neither mentally or physically ready to take out Federer. Federer to win in three perhaps four sets.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Totally agree.

Why all the panic here? I watched Tomic today against world No.120 Daniel Brands and he was taken to the brink of a fifth set in a match approaching three hours. Now I am sorry but what is there to be impressed in that? All four sets were closely contested as well and bear in mind this was against a player from the Challengers Tour. If Brands can push Tomic so close then the GOAT certainly has the tools to put him to the sword. Tomic is neither mentally or physically ready to take out Federer. Federer to win in three perhaps four sets.

Well it shows you haven't watched the match, nobody knew Rosol before Wim match, that didn't stop him from playing an inspirational match, more or less Brands played that level, you could see that in Tommy's press report as well, Brands played much above his ranking. Brands gave Tommy no opportunity on his serve, the one break Tomic got he forced the break with his skill of play.

I am not scared nor anybody is scared of Fed losing to Tomic, indeed I would love a Tomic win and I am hoping for it, it would really give the young man so much boost to his confidence, yes I know his style is arrogant but I still love this Kid's improved attitude this year towards the game. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 pm

I don't mind him as a player, not got a problem with any of that side. And sorry but I watched the match on Eurosport and yes Brands played well (that is not up for debate) but Tomic allowed him with bouts of passiveness and towards the end the young Aussie looked physically shot. I saw him a couple of times bending over feeling his shins. I don't think he is mentally or physically ready to take out Federer and he did himself no favours pre-tournament talking of his match against Fed. I think that grated a little with Roger as he commented on it and I get the feeling he will want to put this young pup in his place. Also, when was the last time Roger Federer lost in a slam to a player ranked outside the top 20? Bet it was a long time ago.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 pm

kuerten french 04?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:10 pm

To add further CC, would love to see Murray lift the title beating Djoko in the finals and that will further push him towards No.1 some where later part of the year.

So a Fed upset early would be what you hoping for as well , but may be you just want to down play Fed's age here as usual.

CC , whether you like it or not this Murray losing to Fed will affect his strature but this aged Fed losing to Murray won't affect his stature and it will be noted as Murray beat Fed aged 31-32.

If Fed wins Tomic its really appreciable, it certainly won't be easy. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:25 pm

No if Murray loses to Federer it merely proves that Fed still has plenty of life in his legs and would prove what I am saying. This discussion was bandied around pre-Wimbledon last year and Fed disproved those who said he was past it. Fed's age in any case hasn't prevented him maintaining a high standard in the slams in the past year in any case. If he begins losing to the likes of Tomic here then that may begin to change my mind but I will believe that when I see it.

Back to Tomic V Federer and Federer leads the head-to-head 3-0. The pair met in Melbourne 12 months ago and Fed won comfortably in straight sets and bear in mind that was at a time when people were beginning to doubt Roger and he will go into this match in a much better frame of mind this yeat. Can you seriously see a theoretical six set swing taking place as in Fed going from winning in straight sets agsinst Tomic last Australian Open to losing against the same player. Icertainly can't.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:45 pm

I think the situations have changed slightly since the last meeting. Federer is a year older, therefore his fitness might be down a couple of percent from last year. I don't think that will be much of a problem in this match although the lack of competitive matches since early December and especially this year may come back to bite him in the latter stages or have the complete opposite effect.

Tomic is also a year older, a year more experienced and a better player. He had a shocker last season but looks to be on the ball and making up for lost time this season. His fitness may be a factor as he's played a lot of matches this year and I don't think he had a break between Sydney and the AO (but correct me if I'm wrong).

Still, I expect Federer to come through in straights and I'm pretty confident he will.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:48 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote: ....................................................................... I don't think he is mentally or physically ready to take out Federer and he did himself no favours pre-tournament talking of his match against Fed. I think that grated a little with Roger as he commented on it and I get the feeling he will want to put this young pup in his place. Also, when was the last time Roger Federer lost in a slam to a player ranked outside the top 20? Bet it was a long time ago.

True enough, Slam losses suffered by Federer at the hands of anyone outside Top 20 are most probably in the very distant past but nothing stays the same forever, the world of sport moves on.

Federer still has all the shots but isn't quite as fleet of foot around the court as he was, and young Tomic is growing in strength, confidence and maturity. And just wanting "to put someone in their place" and doing it are two different things. By Saturday, Tomic will have recovered very well from any exertion against Brands, it's a different day, a different match and he could very easily come out all guns blazing as he did when he first made his mark at Wimbledon.

At some point Fed's ridiculous run of consecutive QF's at the Slams (currently 34 ...??) simply has to come to an end ; we know as much, all logic tells us that it will. And it may well come when least expected ( Mr. L. Rosol anyone ..... ??)

Personally I am convinced the run will be broken this year - and it could just as easily happen here at the AO as at any other Slam.

Yes, the odds will undoubtedly favour the vastly more experienced, albeit ageing, Federer, BUT .. as per the legal disclaimer which accompanies financial/investment advice :

"Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results"

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:09 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Back to Tomic V Federer and Federer leads the head-to-head 3-0.

May be nobody beats Tomic 4 in a row, if in case u find somebody hold such stat then lemme re-write it as "No body beats Tomic 4 in a row named Federer" . Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 pm

In a Day, where Murray, Fed and other stars played Tomic wins the shot of the day contest , here is the link to re watch it

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/video/index.html#ooid=F2dmZoODqr-uLEUvA4Sb54ltulvBo27N

Thats the only oppurtunity Brands gave all match and Tomic did take the tough one with both hands.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

May be nobody beats Tomic 4 in a row, if in case u find somebody hold such stat then lemme re-write it as "No body beats Tomic 4 in a row named Federer" . Very Happy

Didn't Roddick say something similar?

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 pm

carrieg4 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Didn't Roddick say something similar?

Not sure Roddick did, but Soda head did in FO 2009 finals.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Think it Vitas who was the first, on Borg.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Dave. wrote:Think it Vitas who was the first, on Borg.

OK

I think Roddick said "No-one beats me 10 times in a row" about Federer on the Jonathon Ross show - I think the streak extended to eleven Erm

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Dave : may I respectfully point out that it WAS first coined by Vitas - but most definitely in relation to Connors, and not Borg

Very very funny, and original, at the time.

(and I think the streak had run to about 17)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:38 pm

lags72 wrote:(and I think the streak had run to about 17)
Shocked

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 pm

lags72 wrote:Dave : may I respectfully point out that it WAS first coined by Vitas - but most definitely in relation to Connors, and not Borg

Very very funny, and original, at the time.

(and I think the streak had run to about 17)

Ahh, so it was..........

No one did beat Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row.......

Seemed a real character.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 pm

We might be hearing a reprise of it from Messrs Youznhy and/or Ferrer one day.

Both are currently 0-14 versus The Swiss One ............ Erm

edit : Youznhy was surprisingly entertaining whilst suffering his 14th in a row at Wimbledon last year, took it all in fine spirit thumbsup

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Well we shall find out in a couple of days time but I remain convinced that Federer will prove too strong across the board. I suppose the one way to look at it is that if Fed cannot beat Tomic then there would be no way he would have beaten Murray or Djokovic in any case. Age will catch up with Fed as it does with us all but in my opinion that will be a gradual progress and considering Federer's impressive last six months that hasn't started yet.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 am

CaledonianCraig wrote: Age will catch up with Fed as it does with us all but in my opinion that will be a gradual progress and considering Federer's impressive last six months that hasn't started yet.

laughing laughing

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote: Age will catch up with Fed as it does with us all but in my opinion that will be a gradual progress and considering Federer's impressive last six months that hasn't started yet.

laughing laughing

So winning Wimbledon, bagging a number of titles and regaining world No.1 was not impressive and a sign of ageing taking its toll?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:23 am

Tomic is still a prize pr!ck!

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:43 pm

I quite like the fact that Tomic has thrown down the gauntlet so to speak. It's interesting to have a young player with attitude and desire.......as long it is not just talk and he puts up a really strong showing and fight.....this time.

Fed to come through for me though, but agree with lags that this may very well be the year we see the absurd quarter final streak come to an end Sad

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:40 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Tomic is still a prize pr!ck!

It would not necessarily have been my choice of words LK but I certainly agree with the sentiment Laugh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:

It would not necessarily have been my choice of words LK but I certainly agree with the sentiment Laugh

LK certainly has a way with words Laugh

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:57 pm

carrieg4 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:

LK certainly has a way with words Laugh

I do admire his court attitude improvement, though I doubt much has changed personally and he would be a guy I would body serve for a whole match! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Yes I know what you mean..LK . especially when he is playing in front of a home crowd... smug little ...... I hope Roger gives him a tennis lesson.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm

I watched his match with Brands and the crowd didn't actually show much in the way of love of support. You would hardly guess he was an Aussie judging by the fans reaction.

I fully expect Roger to cane him one Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm

I would be most surprised if Roger doesn´t !!! Shocked

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Can't wait for the match later today, I really hope Tomic stick to his words and give his best game to have a shot at the GOAT.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Im reading on another thread that one of this forum´s tennis purists seems to think that Roger has a tough draw ... drawing TOMIC!!! ..?
Surely, Tomic on his own admission plays junk tennis. Roger has coped with this pumped up squirt before and has a H 2 H of 3 -0 why all of a sudden is Tomic a threat. ?? Even given Fed´s "advancing years" there is nothing this kid can throw at him that would take more than a set of the GOAT or has he suddenly become the next best thing to sliced bread.?? Have I been missing something ? just because his attitude has changed ??? Enlighten me somebody why is everyone suddenly presuming that Tomic is going to beat the maestro

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Spot on Hn. I really fail to see the cause for concerns. Look at the tournament so far? Roger has been in cruise control whilst Tomic laboured to a four set win (could have been five) against a player from the Challenger tour. Physically he looked knackered as well but that won't be an issue. Roger's superior in all departments at the moment to Tomic. I have said enough on this as people know where I stand on this.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:56 pm

CC I agree that Roger has not had the best of draws but then that happens in slams as we know from the past ... but this kid is pea nuts to Roger... eeeezy peerzy Roger will give him a tennis lesson no probs

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Must say I am genuinely surprised by just how keen a number of people are to both diss Tomic as an individual and to dis-miss his chances v Federer.

Who of us can claim never to have said and done silly things at Tomic's sort of age, yet later come to regret and use them as a lesson, part of the process of maturing from teenager to adulthood? For those in the public eye - especially in entertainment and sport - there can be a fine line between self-confidence and arrogance.

As for the match itself..... things have moved on since their AO clash 12 months ago. Tomic comes into it on the back of a ten match undefeated run, so perhaps his best form to date. He has just beaten the world's standout Number One and he threw down 26 aces in his last match.

Federer is understandably clear favourite tomorrow but Tomic is very capable of testing him and maybe, just maybe, causing an upset.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:49 pm

I'd say Tomic has around 0.5% chance.
Roger massive favourite.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Well at least that's 0.5% more than the "not a prayer" chance some folk gave Del Potro just ahead of what turned into the longest and tightest battle in Olympic history. I remember the thread very clearly......

Maybe some of it is wishful thinking on my part. I'm one of those tennis fans who actually want to see new blood having success. We are blessed to have a top four of the quality we do but......they are the same top four as in 2008 and it can feel like déjà vu at times.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:35 am

It Must Be Love wrote:I'd say Tomic has around 0.5% chance.
Roger massive favourite.

IMBL I really don't care who wins, for me as long as Tomic give a performance of note it would be appreciated, in AO 2009 Del Po was white washed with double bagel by Fed, and no body had a clue what was coming in FO 2009 semi's, inspired Del Po went down in close fought 5 setter, still in my view thats Del Po's one of best ever performance eventhough it didn't yield the result, similarly Tomic can go down but if gives that kinda performance he is in right track.

I am one of those very impressed with Tomic's attitude and performance against Brands, it really wasn't easy match yet Tomic never felt or for that sake showed any reaction that he can't win the match, entire match he was positive inspite of Brands blasting some balls all round the court.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next