The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andrew Bishop

+8
bedfordwelsh
offload
youngguns6
Morgannwg
kiakahaaotearoa
dragonbreath
welshy6
EnglandRose
12 posters

Go down

Andrew Bishop Empty Andrew Bishop

Post by EnglandRose Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:15 am

Just like Richard Fussell, Andrew Bishop is by far the best in his position in Wales at the moment.

He rarely (if ever) misses a tackle. Some have nicknamed him the clamp due to his similarities to Allan Bateman. I didn't see or hear a peep from Manu Tuilagi on the weekend. He was kept very quiet

Unless they're a WRU favourite like Jamie Roberts, players struggle to get a chance at 12 when Roberts is fit. Wales have enough lumps in the back line and they need more players with sound distribution and defence, i.e. Bishop or even Henson.

Too many supporters think Bishop is slow because he isn't a show boater. He does his job and the basics very well. He nullifies opposing attack, creates space, passes very well and runs when it's on.

Howley's player selection is improving but he still hasn't got a clue.

He won't have the guts to play Eli Walker or try North at 12/13. We will see Walker make the bench for thr Italy game.

Wales used to play with flair and gutsy selections, but now there is far too much conservatism and the "favourites" are still getting picked.

EnglandRose

Back to top Go down

Andrew Bishop Empty Re: Andrew Bishop

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 1:28 pm

I've always rated Bishop, but he doesnt have that flare that the selectors like in attack his try scoring record can attest to this. His defense is solid however.

On the other hand, is he better defesively and in attack than both Roberts and JD2? I dont think so. He is a fine player to have on the bench but I still think that those 2 are our best combination.

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 2:02 pm

he really isin't the best player in his position, he plays 13, he is competing with Jonathon Davies who has been one of wales' most consistent players at both international and regional level and in my personal opinion is leading the charge for the lions 13 shirt (as he has a better balanced game than Tuilagi)

Also while he is very good defensively, in comparison to Scott Williams and Jamie Roberts at 12 (who both aren't exactly small lads or defensively weak) both offer at lot more in attack.

However I would much rather have Bishop in the squad than switching North.

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Fri 18 Jan 2013, 2:12 pm

EnglandRose wrote:Just like Richard Fussell, Andrew Bishop is by far the best in his position in Wales at the moment.

He rarely (if ever) misses a tackle. Some have nicknamed him the clamp due to his similarities to Allan Bateman. I didn't see or hear a peep from Manu Tuilagi on the weekend. He was kept very quiet

Unless they're a WRU favourite like Jamie Roberts, players struggle to get a chance at 12 when Roberts is fit. Wales have enough lumps in the back line and they need more players with sound distribution and defence, i.e. Bishop or even Henson.

Too many supporters think Bishop is slow because he isn't a show boater. He does his job and the basics very well. He nullifies opposing attack, creates space, passes very well and runs when it's on.

Howley's player selection is improving but he still hasn't got a clue.

He won't have the guts to play Eli Walker or try North at 12/13. We will see Walker make the bench for thr Italy game.

Wales used to play with flair and gutsy selections, but now there is far too much conservatism and the "favourites" are still getting picked.

Bishop is a good solid regional player. He has been tried at international and is just not good enough. That is not a slur merely a observation shared by selectors.

I would however like to see if Fussell can make the step up. He is a much better more intelligent footballer than Liam Williams. His face does not seem to fit Shame

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 18 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

Stop bashing the (player) Bishop dragonbreath. Run

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 18 Jan 2013, 4:51 pm

EnglandRose wrote:Just like Richard Fussell, Andrew Bishop is by far the best in his position in Wales at the moment.

Laugh laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:17 pm

He's never international standard. He's not really HCUP standard.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:59 pm

Look at his scoring record for the Ospreys. He scores one or two tries a season. That really is not good enough for a centre. He is good in defence, but that is it. He is not a good distributor at all. At international level you need a little more than just defence. At least Roberts also has the ability to get over the gain line and hold the defence as a dummy runner, and scores a few tries. That's where Bishop maybe falls down the pecking order as his only merit is defence.

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 19 Jan 2013, 12:00 am

Decent regional players are just that and playing well for a region doesn't mean a player must be an international. Unfortunately our regions aren't very "decent" either so the gap to true international class is even greater. Fussell is too slow and can't defend. Bishop can only defend. Neither should where a Welsh shirt.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:36 am

I do like Bishop he is a no nonsense non flashy centre which does go against him a bit.

If called upon he's proved he can do a job for us but we would lack even more flair than we currently do but he is behind Roberts, JD, Williams and Beck.

As for Fussell well that made me laugh if nothing else on a cold day.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Sat 19 Jan 2013, 12:15 pm

offload wrote:Decent regional players are just that and playing well for a region doesn't mean a player must be an international. Unfortunately our regions aren't very "decent" either so the gap to true international class is even greater. Fussell is too slow and can't defend. Bishop can only defend. Neither should where a Welsh shirt.

No wonder he lost his international shirt Offy!! Hug Laugh

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 19 Jan 2013, 12:27 pm

Welcome back roger Lewis lad. Not to much imagination in this username tho.. Erm
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 19 Jan 2013, 1:28 pm

Norfolklass wrote:
offload wrote:Decent regional players are just that and playing well for a region doesn't mean a player must be an international. Unfortunately our regions aren't very "decent" either so the gap to true international class is even greater. Fussell is too slow and can't defend. Bishop can only defend. Neither should where a Welsh shirt.

No wonder he lost his international shirt Offy!! Hug Laugh

Laugh
Well spotted there. I feel a bit of a ficky. I like your new name - in a sort of "does what it says on the tin" way.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 19 Jan 2013, 4:25 pm

Bishop great lad

Fussell is a winger not a fullback.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 19 Jan 2013, 5:33 pm

Bishop is a decent Rabo Direct level player on his day, he shouldn't be in the Wales team though.

He's had his chances but hasn't stepped up over the years.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 19 Jan 2013, 6:25 pm

Bishop is Mr solid and reliable. A job done lad. I know your it keen on fuss at FB mm but he's been superb this season...imo..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:03 pm

Made me eat my words the last couple of games but i coudnt agree that he has been good all season.

I like that he has pace and he backs himself one on one, one on two even recently, but I worry about him in defence and his decision making can be very poor.

But like i said he is proving me wrong which is a very very good thing... long may he keep playing well.

Still rather see him on the wing and Ross jones have a run at fullback though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down