The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visser going to the Aviva prem???

+8
EWT Spoons
Cryptoyourisan
funnyExiledScot
Majestic83
HammerofThunor
formerly known as Sam
justified sinner
thebluesmancometh
12 posters

Go down

Visser going to the Aviva prem??? Empty Visser going to the Aviva prem???

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:08 pm

Just heard from a mate who lives and works in london that there are rumblings about a london based club looking to aqcuire the services of Tim Visser.

Has anyone else heard anything? Does anyone have any insider info?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Visser going to the Aviva prem??? Empty Re: Visser going to the Aviva prem???

Post by justified sinner Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:38 pm

Pretty sure he's signed up until the WC so unlikely to be anytime soon.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:44 pm

Wasps have already got great wing options and are short of cash whilst fighting to keep their forwards.

LI have a plethora of wide options and badly need backrow reinforcements with more centres.

Sarries have Wyles, Short, Ashton and Strettle with a couple of youngsters including England under 20 livewire Ransom. Must be scraping up against the salary cap as well.

LW are an option but won't be in the HEC and whilst they play a style easy on the eye will probably be looking elsewhere in their recruitment ( specifically the tight five).

That leaves Quins. They have a number of decent but no real exceptional wingers. He would suit their style but their priority must be a tighthead.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:06 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17105694

I doubt any want him enough to buy out his contract.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:15 pm

No one needs a winger that badly, especially one prone to international callups.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:38 pm

Just rumours, Visser is signed up at Edinburgh long term, has recently bought a house and is pretty settled in Edinburgh, he's on a pretty good wage at Edinburgh too so can't see him getting a significant amount more money to play in England due to salary cap.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:37 pm

I'd be pretty annoyed if he left scotland as soon as he's qualified to play. He's on a long contract and should stay.

His recent performances have been poor as well. I can't imagine a side paying a fortune based on his recent performances.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Mon 21 Jan 2013, 11:16 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'd be pretty annoyed if he left scotland as soon as he's qualified to play. He's on a long contract and should stay.

Given that the SRU is committed to project signings - for now, at least - shipping them off for a profit seems like the sensible thing to do once they are capped. If Visser's form drops and Edinburgh continue to be embarrassingly awful, then I don't really see the harm in him moving to England or France. Beattie probably should have moved before he did and it looks like the same will be true of Barclay. I'm not saying that Visser's form is as badly in the toilet as Beattie's was and am aware Visser hasn't had the injuries that he did but I think there is a lot to be said for moving on when things aren't working out, e.g. Wilkinson leaving the Falcons for Toulon and extending his playing career by a few years when he was probably close to retiring.

I'm not an Edinburgh fan and can understand what losing a fan-favourite means to the supporters. I was in support of Parks finishing his career at Glasgow but clubs need to re-build at some stage and I'm not sure how long Edinburgh will be able to sustain their reliance on Visser's scoring record in the Rabo.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 22 Jan 2013, 9:45 am

This may be an unpopular view with my fellow Edinburgh fans, but I wouldn't mind seeing Visser move on.

Before I get pelters let me explain my reasons. For a few seasons now the gameplan seems to be "pass it to visser" whilst that has brought some limited success, it doesn't really work if he's not in form, being marked or if he's come off the wing looking for the ball.

If we didn't have Visser then maybe we'd try and develop a more rounded game.

With that said, I'd be happy for him to stay as he is a great player. With a new coach brought in instead who could maybe try and get more out of the team rather than just relying on one player.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:00 am

Sam Saracens also have a young winger called Nathan Earle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjLrVv5DZNs

Quins would be the obvious and best place IMO.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:31 am

Are London Welsh a London club?
Quins would be the obvious one although I'd love to see him in a back 3 with varndell and wade just for a laugh.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:27 pm

Cryptoyourisan wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I'd be pretty annoyed if he left scotland as soon as he's qualified to play. He's on a long contract and should stay.

Given that the SRU is committed to project signings - for now, at least - shipping them off for a profit seems like the sensible thing to do once they are capped. If Visser's form drops and Edinburgh continue to be embarrassingly awful, then I don't really see the harm in him moving to England or France. Beattie probably should have moved before he did and it looks like the same will be true of Barclay. I'm not saying that Visser's form is as badly in the toilet as Beattie's was and am aware Visser hasn't had the injuries that he did but I think there is a lot to be said for moving on when things aren't working out, e.g. Wilkinson leaving the Falcons for Toulon and extending his playing career by a few years when he was probably close to retiring.

I'm not an Edinburgh fan and can understand what losing a fan-favourite means to the supporters. I was in support of Parks finishing his career at Glasgow but clubs need to re-build at some stage and I'm not sure how long Edinburgh will be able to sustain their reliance on Visser's scoring record in the Rabo.

I do see your logic, and Edinburgh do have some young Scots wingers to develop in Farndale and Fife, but I think it's too soon to ditch Visser, and given we'll have a new coach next year (fingers crossed), I'd rather he had a say in the decision. If he needs Visser, and Visser is integral to the new coaches style of play, then Visser should be made to honour his contract. If the coach wants to capitalise and feels he could better use the money elsewhere in the squad, then that's what should happen.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:31 pm

This sounds a bit of a non-story to be honest, unless there is a credible source other than ‘my mate who works in London’?

As has been mentioned he’s not long ago signed a 3 year deal, has a house an is settled in Edinburgh, and will be one of the top earners at Edinburgh (175-200k I reckon) so can’t see many AP teams able, or wanting to, match or better his salary. He’s also only 24 still I think and will only be 27 when his contract runs out – the prime of a wingers career.

Plus from an Edinburgh point of view there’s no way I want Visser to go! If we were like Glasgow and had 4 or 5 top class wingers then fair enough.

We have:

1 top class winger (Visser)
1 Solid if unspectacular wing/fullback (Tom Brown)
1 Massively out of form squad player, who wasn’t exactly a game changer even when on form (Lee ‘loves a knock on’ Jones)
1 young guy who is finally showing some potential (Fife)
1 young guy who has yet to play more than 40 mins pro rugby due to injury (Farndale)
1 journeyman who has not made a single regular season appearance for the club (Mike Penn – who??)

So on the basis that I cannot see Edinburgh attracting a winger anywhere near Visser’s calibre if he did leave – who would also have to be not Scottish qualified – I would very much like Visser to stay until 2015!!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:33 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:1 journeyman who has not made a single regular season appearance for the club (Mike Penn – who??)

Who? Who?

Starting to sound like an owl but who is that guy? picard
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:11 pm

I thought Vissers contract runs out end of next season?

And aren't Embra in a financial struggle?

Visser has to be one of the top earners at the club and as a wing does it really make that much sense to be paying a guy scoring tries for fun in a losing side? Surely it would make more sense to let him go and sign 2 good club players?!

Like I said source is not credible, just a rumour a mate has been told about, I initially thought it was quins but Wasps would make a lot of sense!!!

Same guy also mentioned Gethin Jenkins to Wasps possibly, and Phillips flying into London recently.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:24 pm

He's extended to 2015 - someone put an article link up earlier in the thread

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:37 pm

Oh my bad then, if he's extended then he's pretty much made his bed.

I thought he had just over a year left, that may have given the rumour a touch of sense but in reality that's pretty much it.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down