The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Light Heavyweights who were Heavier.

+3
TRUSSMAN66
captain carrantuohil
ShahenshahG
7 posters

Go down

Light Heavyweights who were Heavier.  Empty Light Heavyweights who were Heavier.

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:01 pm

Holyfield consensus winner at Heavyweight

Same lot but now at Light Heavyweight.

Patterson vs Spinks

Evander Holyfield vs Ezzard Charles

Roy Jones Jr Vs Archie Moore

Bob Foster vs Michael Moorer

Winner 1 fights winner 4 2 fights 3

Who wins the tourney.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Light Heavyweights who were Heavier.  Empty Re: Light Heavyweights who were Heavier.

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:22 pm

Ah - Charles kills them all! See, no restraint at all.

Evander is dead at the weight, and Charles punches holes in him by halfway. Patterson-Spinks at light-heavy is a titanic struggle, in my opinion. Coin flip tells me Michael by split decision, but wouldn't be surprised by anything here. Jones is still too fast for Archie, while Foster knocks Moorer into the middle of next week in a brief, but explosive, shoot-out.

Think that Foster might just hit too hard at 175 for Michael as well, although wouldn't want to stake my life on it. Maybe a 14th round TKO when behind on the cards. I know that az sees it the other way around, but in the match-up of light-heavy virtuosos, I think that Charles's orthodox brilliance is good enough to outfox and eventually outhit the more unpredictable Jones more often than not. Something like a 145-140 scorecard if Ezz can't get him out of there late.

The final sees Charles take on Foster, and Bob's only chance is to drop the bomb early, as Lloyd Marshall did to a 21 year-old Ezz. Instinct leads me to suppose that the more mature Charles of his absolute peak years is too clever for Foster and scores repeatedly over his head-hunting opponent. Ultimately Charles, a light-heavy with a killer instinct, grinds Foster down in 13 to retain his undisputed GOAT light-heavyweight crown (well, OK, disputed by Truss and az).

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Light Heavyweights who were Heavier.  Empty Re: Light Heavyweights who were Heavier.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

Think Roy Jones jr and the unorthodox Spinks might give Charles a fight....

Certainly Charles never fought anybody who used angles and was as naturally talented as Jones jr......

As for Spinks he was awkward and had the Jinx.....

Whilst I'll agree with the Captain that Charles is favorite I don't agree with the ease in which he writes these two off..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:41 pm

No Tunney?

I can see RJJ. winning this outright which may not be a popular view. Too quick, athletic and unpredictable for his opponents. There will always be question marks about his chin but don't see him shipping too much damage and finishing with 3 points victories.

Spinks vs Patterson - I fancy Floyd in this one. He had no right to be in the ring with some of the men he faced at HW. Down at LHW he'd be quicker, more durable and have more of a dig. Patterson SD.

Cant imagine Holy at LHW. I know he started out there but surely he'd be drained and Charles would have too much. Late KO.

RJJ too quick and athletic for Archie and does a number on him imo. RJJ wide UD.

Foster KOs Moorer.

Foster too big a puncher for Floyd and would land at some point. Foster KO.

RJJ still too quick and athletic and beats Charles in this one. (No point going into too much detail as I'll get shot down whatever way I phrase it Very Happy

Final sees RJJ with a narrow points victory against Foster. Can see RJJ winning the early rounds but not without Foster leaving his mark. As the fight goes in to the second half Foster begins to find his way back into it but Roy's movement keeps him out of trouble and he takes it on points.

Last edited by paperbag_puncher on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:41 pm

Charles doesn't fight Spinks in this tourney, Truss, although you're right, I would expect Ezz to outpoint Spinks in by far the majority of cases.

I wouldn't write Roy off, but he'd need to turn in a career best performance to get the better of Charles, I'd say.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:44 pm

Spinks w15 Patterson.....Too tricky.

Charles ko9 Holy.....Holy couldn't make the weight.

Jones jr w15 Moore

Foster ko3 Moorer

Jones jr w15 Foster

Charles w15 Spinks..

Charles w15 Jones..................................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:46 pm

How do you see Foster-Spinks, Truss?

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:51 pm

I see Spinks being too awkward mostly......

I see Spinks giving away the first few rounds.....and then taking over once the sting has left Foster's work...Decision for me...

But I wouldn't bet the father-in-law's house on it!! Cool

I haven't seen as much of Foster as you of course......Seen Foster fight Tiger and that guy he absolutely nailed (forget his name) and his escapades at heavy!!

Didn't seem the greatest technician...big puncher though!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:00 pm

Wont go into much detail but it's Charles all day every day but would agree that Tunney should have been included in this.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:02 pm

I couldn't find an opponent to match Tunney.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:02 pm

Different animal at heavy for some reason. Could box pretty well at 175, Foster, when he put his mind to it, but the thing was that he knew he could always get out of jail via the two sticks of dynamite at the end of his arms. Rondon or Mike Quarry (Jerry's brother) might have been the guy whose name escaped you, and they were devastating KOs, right enough. Would like to have seen how Spinks took Bob's Sunday best punch, for sure.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:04 pm

Tunney as the second greatest 175lber of all time should be included at the expense of either Moore or Moorer.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:17 pm

Id rule out Moore, Moorer and Holyfield as having little chance of winning. I could envisage any of the rest winning. Patterson is a real wildcard. Light heavy could really have suited him. His power and speed combination there would have very formidable.

Charles record at the weight trumps everyone elses but still couldnt install him as anything other than a small favourite given the quality in there and the wildcard factor of guys like Patterson and Jones.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

Mike Quarry...that's the one Captain.......

Beautiful shot....as was the Tiger shot..

I remember a few years ago reading an article where Foster really went to town on Hill because he was honing in on his record....

Seemed really bitter about it.........

In fairness to him...we marvel at Conn...talk about Moore, Spinks and Charles....

Foster does seem to be the ugly duckling......deserves more respect I think...

He fought Tiger for just expenses didn't he??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:36 pm

Yep, that was the deal. Foster figured it was the only way he'd get a shot, and was spot on, of course. Deserves all the respect in the world, but he's certainly not the greatest cheer-leader for his modern successors - not dissimilar to the man with the large heavyweight pants, in that regard!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 22 Jan 2013, 9:07 pm

My god it is hard to pick a winner from this lot, you know it's a strong field when Archie Moore is just an also ran. I think the way the draw pans out could well decide this, I think I'd have Roy as the narrow favourite so long as Charles or Spinks eliminate Foster who I see scoring a brutal KO over Jones while behind on the cards.

The way the draw is here I'd have Jones winning a narrow decision over Spinks in the final.

Spinks KO Patterson (Hard to pick Floyd here as he is a real unknown at the weight)
Charles KO Holyfield (Not the right weight for evander)
Jones UD Moore
Foster KO Moorer

Spinks UD Foster
Jones SD Charles (Would not be shocked if this went the other way, very close fight)

Jones UD Spinks (Another narrow win for Jones, again this could go either way)

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down