The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do UK public care at all about Murray winning a NON-WIMBLEDON Slam title?

+5
carrieg4
lydian
Danny_1982
socal1976
gboycottnut
9 posters

Go down

Do UK public care at all about Murray winning a NON-WIMBLEDON Slam title? Empty Do UK public care at all about Murray winning a NON-WIMBLEDON Slam title?

Post by gboycottnut Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:20 pm

In the UK tennis is traditionally focused around the couple of weeks in Summer (June) when the Queens warmup tournament is on prior to the main event of the Wimbledon fortnight. But just what does Andy Murray winning a Grand Slam singles title at another Slam other than at Wimbledon mean for the UK public? Do they care less whether Andy wins or not at these other Slam tournaments?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Do UK public care at all about Murray winning a NON-WIMBLEDON Slam title? Empty Re: Do UK public care at all about Murray winning a NON-WIMBLEDON Slam title?

Post by socal1976 Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm

Seems like they care to me, if they don't then they aren't tennis or sports fans.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Do UK public care at all about Murray winning a NON-WIMBLEDON Slam title? Empty Re: Do UK public care at all about Murray winning a NON-WIMBLEDON Slam title?

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:34 pm

Wimbledon is the holy grail for British players and fans alike, no denying that. But over the past ten years or so the other slams have come moreintothe consciousness of the British public, and that is mainly thanks to sky and Eurosport.

It was huge news when Murray won in New York. Every paper, every news show on every channel, every sporting conversation... It was so huge that it made me wonder what the hysteria will be like if he ever wins Wimbledon.

So to answer your question, yes the British care. It's a pretty big deal. But it will never be as big a deal as Wimbledon.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:39 pm

IMO, to the British Public PLC there is only one slam...Wimbledon.
The others are just events they read about now and then, they still don't really matter.
To British tennis fans that's different but many aren't patriotic and simply go for their favourite player. I don't think Murray is massively popular considering he's our best ever British player. Had Henman had the same level of success I think he'd be more popular in UK...I know I'd always prefer to watch Henman play vs Muzza.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:59 pm

Not sure about the public at large but all those with a sporting interest care I would hope.

I am the opposite to you Lydian. I always wanted Henman to do well but was more of an Agassi fan at the time. When Murray came on the scene his style of play captured my interest more - love the great returners.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:05 pm

Loved Henman. The best volleyer alongside Edberg since McEnroe.

Last edited by bogbrush on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:05 pm

I would like to think the publlic would care what Slam he won home or abroad.

I think it had become a long standing joke about the 100 odd years without a British male finalist. I feel by and large still that any British player that does well at Wimbledon gets the whole hopes placed on their shoulders and they are thrusted into the limelight. I feel Andy has handled it well.

I so wanted Tim to win it because I loved the way he played the game. Looking back it is almost impossible to see what emotions he felt compared with Andy who has a more verbal approach. I think the only time I can recall Tim showing some emotion was his victory over Moya at Wimbledon 2007.

I wish someone British would come along and win the damn thing!

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:55 am

tennis is behind football, cricket and rugby in Britain, except when Wimbledon comes around and it takes over.

A lot do feel that is the only one worth winning mainly just because in terms of coverage the others didn't get shown really. Sky has helped majorly though, plus with great interest in Henman I think with him always doing well there it gained interest where it wasn't til 04 there was much to follow with him outside of sw19

I think Murray has changed that a bit but I know Wimbledon is the one everyone watches, outside of that only tennis fanatics follow the others.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:13 am

If we are talking about non-tennis fans then yes I'd say they'd only know of Wimbledon. But as a non-football fan and they'd only know of the World Cup and non-cricket fans probably only know about the Ashes. So I don't see what the OP is getting at.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Jan 2013, 8:52 am

I think they do care. At least the casual sports fans do.

After all, Greg Rusedski, with a dubious conncetion to Britain at best, won SPOTY for being runer up at the USO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

bogbrush wrote:Loved Henman. The best volleyer alongside Edberg since McEnroe.

clap Tim was a better volleyer than any active player. He could probably come out of retirement tomorrow and still be a better volleyer than a few of the top ten. Shame his serve and groundstrokes were more average.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down