The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Froch/Kessler Fight & the WBA - a quick question

+3
88Chris05
two_tone
Mr Bounce
7 posters

Go down

The Froch/Kessler Fight & the WBA - a quick question Empty The Froch/Kessler Fight & the WBA - a quick question

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 am

Froch (the IBF holder) & Kessler (the "regular" WBA titlist) are fighting and it seems that both belts are on the line at the moment as Froch has not been stripped as yet for not facing Stevenson. Whoever wins will then become both IBF & WBA champ. By the WBA's stupid rules this will make them a "Super Champion".

Yet Andre Ward is their "Super Champion" as he holds the WBC & WBA belts. Are we going to get 2 "super champions"? And then decide who's more "super" than the other? Or will their WBA belt disappear when they win/retain the IBF belt????

My head hurts!! clap

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

The Froch/Kessler Fight & the WBA - a quick question Empty Re: The Froch/Kessler Fight & the WBA - a quick question

Post by two_tone Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 am

Ward is going to be "Champion in recess" because of injury from what I have read so I guess whoever wins the unification will become "Super". Rolling Eyes

two_tone

Back to top Go down

The Froch/Kessler Fight & the WBA - a quick question Empty Re: The Froch/Kessler Fight & the WBA - a quick question

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 am

Two_tone, I believe it's the WBC who are naming Ward as 'Champion in Recess', not the WBA. From my understanding, the WBA only call a unification winner their 'Super' champion if they're the only WBA titlist in their weight class (!). So Ward will keep his 'Super Champion' status, while Froch / Kessler will just be the WBA 'Regular' and IBF champion.

Joke, isn't it?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 pm

I stand corrected Chris, to be honest we as fans all know who we consider the champions at the different weights, the alphabets make little difference for me unless it involves the top fighters. Trouble is 'World Champion' will always be appealing to a boxer no matter how irrelevant the strap is.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Who cares about the belts, the fight is going to be a barnstormer!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:56 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Who cares about the belts, the fight is going to be a barnstormer!

Best point made!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:13 pm

I don't think I've given a damn about a world belt of any variety since 2005

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 pm

I care about Kell winning his world title.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by severe-mma Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:10 pm

It aint going to matter, Froch is going to smash that Danish pastry!

severe-mma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down