The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why should Kessler fight Froch??

+9
Rowley
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Lance
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
manos de piedra
Lumbering_Jack
davidemore
88Chris05
Super D Boon
13 posters

Go down

Why should Kessler fight Froch?? Empty Why should Kessler fight Froch??

Post by Super D Boon Mon 14 Jan 2013, 12:47 pm

Moving on from the silly Kessler most respected "fraud" article below I've been wondering about the potenital rematch between Kessler and Froch for ages....

Kessler has already beaten Froch for the WBC title a couple of years ago in a close contest. The result was fair even if the fight was close with the only controversy for me being the idiotic score card from Roger Tillerman who, as everyone knows from the Ottke v Reid debacle is a complete loony. Some would disagree with the outcome, but in a close fight there will always be those who felt the loser should have been given the nod. In my view Kessler won by about 7-5. Not enough was made of Kessler's excellent body shots throughout the fight, harder punches to score. Even though Froch landed the cleaner head shots overall, Kessler landed the best punch, a short hard right to the bridge of Froch's nose in the fifth I think it was.

Anyway, on to the rematch. I assume Mikkel Kessler is already a wealthy man. I would be surprised if he isn't given a celebrity status in Denmark where he no doubt commands all the attention and glory being the only Danish boxer of note and plenty of high profile fights in the past too. So let's say he doesn't need the cash.

Then there's the world title. As I've said, the Euros love their trinkets and with Froch chucking the IBF away what exactly is there for Kessler to achieve, given he's already beaten Froch and he gets no title if he does so again?

Then there's the risk. At this stage I think, despite the age difference there's a huge risk of Kessler losing to Froch. Kessler seems to be on the wane and Froch at the peak of his powers.

I think Kessler should avoid Froch as beating him again would be painful and it still won't make him the top dog in the division. I think he should use his WBA bacofoil belt to force the mandatory with Ward. This is a rematch he's highly unlikely to win but it would be his last stab at greatness before retirement.

So, why should Kessler face Froch again?

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Why should Kessler fight Froch?? Empty Re: Why should Kessler fight Froch??

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 14 Jan 2013, 1:18 pm

Good article, Boon, although I think that's a wee bit of a negative take on the prospect of Kessler-Froch II, myself!

Still plenty of good reasons on the table for why this fight should take place, in my opinion. First off, there's a high probability of it being another fine scrap and I'm confident that, if you asked one hundred boxing fans in a survey, most of them would say that they'd rather see these two getting it on again than eighter of them trying to topple Ward for a second time.

Moreover, I'd wager that the two fighters themselves would prefer it right now to a Ward rematch. Froch, in fact, has pretty much said this himself. I don't think for a single second that either man is running scared of the Californian, but I do believe that they'd much rather go in to a rematch with him having taken care of this business first.

Let's be frank - against Ward, you're going to California, you're getting the small end of the purse and you're going to have precious few supporters in the crowd. However, against each other both Kessler and Froch can make a claim to hold the bargaining cards over such issues, another reason why it probably appeals more to them than a second go at Ward just now.

It seems unfashionable these days to still believe that some boxers are driven by other factors aside from keeping that 'L' column at as low a number as possible or pure money, but I genuinely think that Kessler will be slightly bugged at the fact that there is still a small-ish minority who question the validity of his win over Froch; he'll want to shut quite a few people up. Likewise, that decision evidently still bugs Froch, and bugs him badly. He knows how close he was last time out, knows he's a better fighter now than he was then and knows that this is a result he can potentially reverse; I'm not quite so sure that he thinks the same of the Ward loss.

Although he's the model professional who takes no fight lightly, I do believe that Froch was that extra two or three percent focussed and driven for the Bute fight, for example, and I believe that a second fight against Kessler, right now, is the only one which will get that little bit extra out of him again.

I'd still class it as a major disappointment if we never see these two in the ring against each other again. That said, I'm still quietly confident that we will, albeit it seems we may have to wait a little longer than we first thought. For the rematch not to happen at all just seems a little bit too at odds with the 'take on all comers' attitude that the pair of them have displayed throughout their careers.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 14 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

Because it is the biggest fight out there for either men. Because it would be a hugely anticipated fight watched all over the world. Because it would be their biggest pay days. Because boxing needs wars like this. Because both men have belts. Because the last fight was very close.

Come on now...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 14 Jan 2013, 1:25 pm

Because the first fight was close and enjoyable. Boxers need to get out the mind set of looking for reasons not to fight someone. Silly articles like this don't help.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 14 Jan 2013, 1:32 pm

Money, respect, public interest

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 14 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm

Froch went into Kessler's back yard and almost pulled off the upset, Kessler isn't te type to slate and abuse his opponent so probably had massive respect for
Froch

Did they not have a gentlemens agreement that they would fight in the UK sometime or was that pascal

Either way its a good fight and Kessler has the chance to pull off the upset that Froch almost did. Ward will beat Kessler even easier than last time and despite being brilliant he isn't a huge draw, won't fight out of his hometown and won't be able to attract the same kind of interest a Froch rematch would

Makes complete sense, the only reason he would turn it down is so he can go on fighting bums which isn't what Kessler wants. Too small for the LHW and not good enough or Ward, Froch makes sense

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 14 Jan 2013, 2:02 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Because the first fight was close and enjoyable. Boxers need to get out the mind set of looking for reasons not to fight someone. Silly articles like this don't help.

Looking for reasons like there's no belt in it, has already won, it won;t enhance legacy that much. Silly articles picard Lumbering_cack more like!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 14 Jan 2013, 2:53 pm

froch is not kesslers biggest fight. ward is. kessler felt hard done by in the first fight, it was a pretty controversial affair if you believe kessler and his fans. hes been wanting a rematch ever since. some people need to realise that what we hear in the british press is not taken for granted around the rest of the world. klitschko went to poland to fight adamek but couldnt come to britain to fight haye simply because haye wasnt able to generate as much support as adamek.

having said that froch is rated by most as the number 2 SMW right now and its still a big fight for kessler. if the price is right he will come. it is a business after all

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 14 Jan 2013, 2:59 pm

From what I have read the IBF are willing to postpone Frochs mandatory against Stevenson (going to purse bids tomorrow) if an agreement can be made for a unification fight with Kessler (current WBA champ) today. Unless I'm missing something, this would actually be a unification fight rather than one for no titles at all?

And aside from that, there is money, respect, pleasing the fans etc. The first fight was a cracker and very close, 50 years ago these two wouldve been fighting again the next month. Quite frankly, as far as I can see, there's no reason for it not to happen - its one of the best and most logical fights out there waiting to be made.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 14 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

Yeah I can see it from a Froch fan's point of view and Froch himself because he craves the fight for his legacy (although being a prennial No. 2 is a bit of a drag as legacy goes), but I can't see much from a Kessler standpoint unless there's mound of money involved.

Even though it was a great fight last time out I don't think that's enough. If the IBF belt was up for grabs then maybe.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 14 Jan 2013, 3:30 pm

Number 2?

What are you talking about? If and when Froch beats Kessler, that'll be one loss on his record avenged and sets up Ward. If he beats him in the UK, which i think he can, he is an ATG with a record like no one else in modern boxing, fact.

Yusaf Mack would look good on either JC or Nathan's record, and those two Welshman between them aint never been beaten. Froch will be Britain's ATG and one of THE ATG's of modern boxing. IMO.

This article is negative.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 14 Jan 2013, 3:42 pm

FRoch will not be an ATG by beating Kessler - FACT!

However beat Kessler AND Ward then quite possibly so.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 14 Jan 2013, 3:47 pm

If the argument that he had beaten him once had any merit we would not have had a rematch in the sport pretty much ever, some good fights we would have had to miss out on. The first was close enough and exciting enough to more than justify a rematch.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 14 Jan 2013, 3:53 pm

Boonface, that is what i am saying. Sigh.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 14 Jan 2013, 4:00 pm

Frazier beat Ali so no point in a rematch.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 14 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

If Froch beats Kessler Im getting the feeling a lot of people will say that he set the record straight and should move onto Ward to try and do the same.
In actuality all it really means (providing its a close fight) is that he and Kessler will be all square after two fights, and assuming that Froch wins in the UK should have a third fight maybe in the States as a decider which would really decide who was the better fighter.
However I suspect that fight wont happen if Froch wins as his fans wont be calling for it and Froch will be quite happy rest on his laurels and say he was robbed in the first and has proved it by beating him second time out.
But I could be wrong.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 14 Jan 2013, 7:04 pm

It's about as good a fight as I can see on the horizon at the moment. Kessler will want this fight because of the closeness of the first and because he doesn't shirk a challenge and it's the most realistic challenge around for both right now

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Jan 2013, 7:36 pm

I imagine 90% of Boxers....are Boxers because they love the sport!!!.....They want glory...to be highly thought of and want to see how good they really are....

Some of them also are lucky enough to not have frank warren promoting them and so get to answer these questions.........

The op answered his question I believe when he said he had enough money!!!

Yes he has so after providing that necessary function he can focus on legacy..

If I was a good snooker/tennis player would I be happy feasting on also-rans????

No I'd want to find out a la Hatton just how good I really am.....

Same for this lad..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 14 Jan 2013, 8:43 pm

Because anyone who wants to have a fight with Froch is an absolute guaranteed war!!

Froch fought Kessler in his back yard, so he needs to repay the favour. I'll be buying a ticket if it happens.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down