The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club Cricket

5 posters

Go down

Club Cricket Empty Club Cricket

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:59 am

Since I can't find the old "Tell us about your game at the weekend" thread I figured I'd start a new one.

I spotted this video clip:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10150943555717579&set=vb.34709698373&type=2&theater
on Renwick Cricket Club (my boyhood team, their home ground is less than 5 mins walk from my parents' house).

A great reflex catch by the Renwick bowler taken in a 2nd grade match at the very scenic Endeavour Oval in Picton
Edit - the catch is actually in a Melbourne (Geelong) club game, appears the 2nd grade lads "appropriated" the catch in honour of one taken at the weekend.

I watched the clip on my phone (my work laptop can't view FB videos) and got fooled Sad Doh

Last edited by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Club Cricket Empty Re: Club Cricket

Post by Stella Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

Great catch. Looks like a pretty good level to the one I played at.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:24 pm

Well, this seems like a good place to bring up this:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/593029.html

England first innings, E Barnard 114. Played against him. Whistle

Closest I'm getting to international cricket!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:43 pm

Who did you play for, Dizzle?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 3:17 pm

Sure you werent scouting for potential NZ test openers Kiwi Wink

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 29 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Sure you werent scouting for potential NZ test openers Kiwi Wink

laughing

At the moment I'd consider bringing John Wright out of retirement if he wasn't in the IPL coaching ... hmmm, I wonder what Bruce Edgar's up to these days Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 29 Jan 2013, 3:24 pm

Maybe Chatfield and Sneddon, well if it was down to Boycott Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 29 Jan 2013, 3:41 pm

Stella wrote:Maybe Chatfield and Sneddon, well if it was down to Boycott Very Happy

Well Sneddon did bat for a day or so with Greatbach to save a test in Perth. And Chatfield defied the best Wasim Akram could throw at him to add 50 for the last wicket with Jeremy Coney to win a test in '87.

Help, I'm channeling GBN! Doh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 29 Jan 2013, 4:23 pm

Stella wrote:Who did you play for, Dizzle?

He plays for Shrewsbury 1's now, in the Birmingham Prem which is a quality standard, and took a 4fer on Minor county debut this summer. He's a a couple of years younger than me so I ended up playing him as he was making his way up the pyramid at the same time as me. 4th/3rd XI sides for him when I was playing 2nd and 1st team cricket against them.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 29 Jan 2013, 4:30 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
Stella wrote:Maybe Chatfield and Sneddon, well if it was down to Boycott Very Happy

Well Sneddon did bat for a day or so with Greatbach to save a test in Perth. And Chatfield defied the best Wasim Akram could throw at him to add 50 for the last wicket with Jeremy Coney to win a test in '87.

Help, I'm channeling GBN! Doh

Apparently Chatfield got a couple of his runs by the use of his helmet in which the ball bounced off his helmet from a Wasim Akram bouncer for 4 byes! Anyway talking about NZ openers of the 1980's, Trevor Franklin was an excellent opening batsman for NZ, and left hander John F Reid was another excellent batsman although sadly for NZ fans he only played tests on a part-time basis due to his preferences for work and family commitments above cricket. Bruce Edgar may have been an established NZ opener by the time of the 1986 tour of England, however he started off his test career more of a number 4 middle order batsman and was seen as NZ's answer to England's David Gower on Edgar's first tour of England in 1978.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 29 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

Didn't Edgar open on the 1983 tour?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 29 Jan 2013, 4:59 pm

Stella wrote:Didn't Edgar open on the 1983 tour?

ahh yes he did, but he was firmly established as an opener by 1986 of that there is no doubt. The point is though that Edgar didn't start his test career as an opener, so it shows it is possible for NZ to successfully convert someone like a Dean Brownlie to an opening batsman V England if they want a solid opening pair (batting together with Watling) to give them a good start to their innings.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down