The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group

+25
Shelsey93
Humbert-Hench
Duty281
aucklandlaurie
Diggers
theslosty
Imperial Ghosty
Jeremy_Kyle
Dr Gregory House MD
barragan
Adam D
Hibbz
ShahenshahG
kwinigolfer
Hero
Rowley
VTR
Hoggy_Bear
superflyweight
Spaghetti-Hans
CaledonianCraig
milkyboy
paperbag_puncher
captain carrantuohil
MtotheC
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please vote for who you believe should progress to Round 2 as the wild card entrant.

v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_lcap5%v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_lcap9%v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 7 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_lcap12%v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 9 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_lcap9%v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 7 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_lcap23%v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 17 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_lcap30%v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 22 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_lcap3%v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_lcap5%v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_lcap3%v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 74

Poll closed

v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Empty v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group

Post by MtotheC Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Please vote for who you believe should progress to Round 2 as the wild card entrant.

We couldnt pick just 4 so the list has been extented to 9.

The Group winner will progress only

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group Empty Re: v2 G.O.A.T Wild Card Group

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Piggott, just ahead of Jahangir. A titan in his field for 40 years or more. The only man in his sport to turn to when things mattered most. Think Jahangir is unlucky, since he's far superior to some of the qualifiers up to now, but that's the way the wafer dissolves, I suppose.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:41 pm

No place for Alexander Karelin? Far more worthy of consideration than half of the names above.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Ditto Heather Mackay, pp. Men only, it seems. Plus it helps to be involved in a sport that in its organised version is about 20 years old (two contenders), rather than one like real wrestling which is several thousand years old and has no contenders at all. Neomania.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 pm

Went for Piggot aswell ahead of Spitz. Khan's not a name I'm familiar with but his name has come up countless times during the discussion and seems like a name that warranted a place. Alas gotta go with what I know and Piggot gets the vote.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:02 pm

Spitz, Piggott or khan, for me. Three Legends of their sports. Swimming has been under-represented and squash has missed out like it does at the Olympics despite levels of participation.

One jockey made the cut, though, and if there was only one, then it should have been lester. He wins this by a nose.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:02 pm

How this field of nine was picked is anyone's guess. One head-banger with an incurable desire for attention picks Lebron James, so he gets adopted? I wish I'd been more demonstrative.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Lester Piggott for me. Still the greatest flat jockey of all-time and ticks all the boxes.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaghetti-Hans Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:35 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:How this field of nine was picked is anyone's guess. One head-banger with an incurable desire for attention picks Lebron James, so he gets adopted? I wish I'd been more demonstrative.

The fact there were 3 times as many Snooker 'players' as Basketballers almost made a mockery of this fine competition, so we are glad to see that the esteemed Tournament Director, MtotheC, has offered the boards an opportunity to put this oversight right.

LeBron James is one of only 4 men currently particpating in elite sport with genuine aspirations of being both a) the very best their sport has produced, and b) transcending that sport. The other three - Messi, Federer, and Bolt - are not only all in the competition, but also safely through to the final 32. While we realize Captain that you may not have as formidible a knowledge of transatlantic sport as we do, surely you agree that 'The Most Influential Man in America', fresh from shattering yet another points record, and well on his way to his 4th NBA MVP award in blink-and-you'd-miss-it time, deserves to join them.

Now that the Boxing Board Mafia don't have another 19th Century backstreet brawler to harrangue people into voting for, we are confident that LeBron will progress. All hail King James clap

Spaghetti-Hans

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Now that the Boxing Board Mafia don't have another 19th Century backstreet brawler to harrangue people into voting for, we are confident that LeBron will progress. All hail King James .

You'd think that at least one of your personalities would have identified that (a) no "19th Century backstreet brawlers" were put forward and (b) there was no haranguing.

The perceived haranguing was probably just the back chat from the voices in your head.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:45 pm

Has there been a single winter sportsman or woman included in this process?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Don't remember one Hoggy. No issue with it personally, this was always going to be UK-centric in the sense of covering sports that are widely followed over here.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:23 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Now that the Boxing Board Mafia don't have another 19th Century backstreet brawler to harrangue people into voting for, we are confident that LeBron will progress. All hail King James .

You'd think that at least one of your personalities would have identified that (a) no "19th Century backstreet brawlers" were put forward and (b) there was no haranguing.

The perceived haranguing was probably just the back chat from the voices in your head.

19th century brawlers? Did I miss the section where The Game Chicken or the Tipton Slasher were up for consideration? Am truly devastated if this is the case.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 pm

Rowley wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

19th century brawlers? Did I miss the section where The Game Chicken or the Tipton Slasher were up for consideration? Am truly devastated if this is the case.

I'm sure I once dated a girl (in the loosest term) called the Tipton Slasher.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:28 pm

She sounds absolutely delightful.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Gretzky the only winter sportsman I've seen but even that is played inside.

Surprised no Stenmark, but Piggott the outstanding choice of those offered.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Surely Jahangir or Piggot. Others dont really stand a chance.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Hero wrote:
Rowley wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

I'm sure I once dated a girl (in the loosest term) called the Tipton Slasher.

Pretty sure I had a turn on her sister the game chicken once.

I remember back in the days when I managed a betting shop seeing a near geriatric Piggott come off his mount in the midst of other horses. He bounced around for what seem like an age before getting up and walking off. Incredible.

That said he's a complete fruitcake and probably pretty unpleasant with it so I'm going for Khan because squash is brutal to play and he made it look easy.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:49 pm

I think that McEnroe should win this one and should have been ahead of Bjorg anyway in the original list.

My reasoning is that he has transcended sport almost to the same level as Ali (I would say even more so).

How many shows in the early 80s had a skit where someone would shout "you cannot be serious!"? I even went to a school fancy dress as Mac!

The fact that he is now a respected comemntator and also excelled in a period when there were some phenominal talents (Bjorg, Connors to name two).

Great sportsman. Great personality. Great post sport career. GOAT

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:53 pm

McEnroe exemplifies the old adage, "The older I get, the better I was."
Not the best player of his day, a boorish pr1ck and only the second best commentator in his own family.

McEnroe? You cannot be serious.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:57 pm

i think adam just wants to share a pic of when he dressed up as im... Laugh

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:04 pm

Those pics are available to buy at kidsincostumes@v2journal.com

£3 a go is a bargain!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:19 pm

As a sailor I'm duty bound to go for Ainslie, quite simply he's the greatest dinghy sailor of all time in my book, 4 golds, 1 silver, 8x World Champion (in the Laser and Finn his most recognizabe classes), as well as another 3 World Championship titles outside of that and the only 4 time World Sailor of the year.

He also was also heavy favorite to have won the 2011 Finn worlds had he not got an undiscardable DQ for arguing with a photographers boat who had impeded him.

Having only see Ainslie on such short notice, I am slightly push for time to put forward a really compelling case for him, hopefully his statistics in terms of achivements (and bear in mind his 80% gold to event record is comparable with Phelps) will be enough to show what a great he was.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Adam D wrote:Those pics are available to buy at kidsincostumes@v2journal.com

£3 a go is a bargain!

Are you trying to attract Gary Glitter to the site?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:50 pm

I would have liked to see someone from the alpine ski, Maier, Zurbriggen or Stenmark..... but in the end I am relieved there is no other fatty darts nobody. Le Bron.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Completely forgot about the Herminator.

Gone for Khan, far more worthy than 95% of those we've already discussed and it's quite ridiculous he wasn't in the original 64. We had Tyson, Louis, Hastings, Cobb but no Khan. Shameful.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Just been reading up on Jahinger Khan and he has to get my vote. He had a 555 match unbeaten run. That is just incredible!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:58 pm

McEnroe?

I don't recall Pete Sampras, Rafael Nadal or even Novak Djokovis being in this 64-man panel.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Ainslie for me, that rarity of being British and the very best. Think we picked the wrong Khan otherwise squash might have got my vote.
McEnroe, to be honest that's as bad a choice after the lessons learned through the debate this far as selecting Hastings in the first group was.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Jahangir over Jansher everyday, despite reaching the end of his career he still had the better of their head to head which says it all for me.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:As a sailor I'm duty bound to go for Ainslie, quite simply he's the greatest dinghy sailor of all time in my book, 4 golds, 1 silver, 8x World Champion (in the Laser and Finn his most recognizabe classes), as well as another 3 World Championship titles outside of that and the only 4 time World Sailor of the year.

He also was also heavy favorite to have won the 2011 Finn worlds had he not got an undiscardable DQ for arguing with a photographers boat who had impeded him.

Having only see Ainslie on such short notice, I am slightly push for time to put forward a really compelling case for him, hopefully his statistics in terms of achivements (and bear in mind his 80% gold to event record is comparable with Phelps) will be enough to show what a great he was.

How many Americas Cups has he won?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Dr Gregory House MD wrote:As a sailor I'm duty bound to go for Ainslie, quite simply he's the greatest dinghy sailor of all time in my book, 4 golds, 1 silver, 8x World Champion (in the Laser and Finn his most recognizabe classes), as well as another 3 World Championship titles outside of that and the only 4 time World Sailor of the year.

The clue is on the word dinghy, they don't actually sail then in the Americas cup. What Ainslie does well is pure sailing with no advantage, the Americas cup is the F1 of sailing, he who pays wins as a rule.
Ainslie will probably end up skippering a winning boat though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Diggers wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

The clue is on the word dinghy, they don't actually sail then in the Americas cup. What Ainslie does well is pure sailing with no advantage, the Americas cup is the F1 of sailing, he who pays wins as a rule.
Ainslie will probably end up skippering a winning boat though.

And thats why someone like Russell Coutts is a far greater yachtsman, hes done it all.....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Mac? No way.

Gone for Jahagir. 555 match winning streak, that's just insane. A lot of us have probably played squash so we know how tough it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:20 pm

One Olympic gold, doesn't really compare to Ainslie. Ainslie also international sailor of the year 4 times, more than anyone else.
He's the main small boat man by a mile.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Voted for Ainslie. Just wondering how this competition will work now, we've got 31 already through, one wildcard will make it 32, and we've got Moses and Thompson tied in second place on round 16 to make it 33 or 34.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Humbert-Hench Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Are you serious that Pistol Pete wasn't in the original 64! Oh man thats crazy!

I can't take Ainslee too seriously in a Goat competition - in the end he's just a brit in a boat, and sorry guys but that boat's in a pretty tiny ocean. Sailors, like horse racers (yes you Lester) depend on the too many outside factors aka the fact that they're on a boat/horse to be real contenders here!

Spitz is my boy! That dude was fast! He should have more votes.

But this has got to go to LeBron - maybe you brits haven't seen enough of the guy but he is a machine - like a half tonne tiger tapdancing - setting all the records, blowing minds. People used to talk LeBron v Kobe, now it's just LeBron v Jordan - soon he's gonna be out on his own. LeBron.

Humbert-Hench

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Dear me, as soon as one ventures to suggest that someone might be the greatest at a particular sport, up pops a Kiwi to suggest that one of theirs is better. Look, Devoy, Coutts, Peter Snell, Bob Charles, Tony Wilding, Peter Blake, Murray Hallberg, John Walker, Bond & Murray, Valerie Vili, Lovelock, Sarah Ulmer and co are all marvellous. They're known and appreciated around the world, so no need to jump on us as if we were Australians for suggesting that others might have been a teeny bit better in their sports.

Your rugby players aren't bad, mind. I'll make a third of my all-time team to play Mars New Zealanders, if that isn't seen by you lot as another slight on your country. Mark Todd, i'll give you as well. Should have been in the 64, probably.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:34 pm

Diggers wrote:One Olympic gold, doesn't really compare to Ainslie. Ainslie also international sailor of the year 4 times, more than anyone else.

Point is that Ainslie has won in the small stuff but he hasnt done the big stuff, Coutts has won his gold medal in the small stuff also at the olympics but has won at the extreme pinnacle of the sport ie Americas cup level.

International sailor of the year hardly covers all aspects of yachting???

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Humbert-Hench wrote:Are you serious that Pistol Pete wasn't in the original 64! Oh man thats crazy!

I can't take Ainslee too seriously in a Goat competition - in the end he's just a brit in a boat, and sorry guys but that boat's in a pretty tiny ocean. Sailors, like horse racers (yes you Lester) depend on the too many outside factors aka the fact that they're on a boat/horse to be real contenders here!

Spitz is my boy! That dude was fast! He should have more votes.

But this has got to go to LeBron - maybe you brits haven't seen enough of the guy but he is a machine - like a half tonne tiger tapdancing - setting all the records, blowing minds. People used to talk LeBron v Kobe, now it's just LeBron v Jordan - soon he's gonna be out on his own. LeBron.

So if sailors rely so much on outside factors....how can one man completely dominate , that makes no sense whatsoever I'm afraid. I guess he's just really lucky.
All the boats are exactly the same , it's not even remotely like being on a horse.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Extreme pinnalce would be the around the world race so i'd take Dame Ellen over all those previously mentioned.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Dear me, as soon as one ventures to suggest that someone might be the greatest at a particular sport, up pops a Kiwi to suggest that one of theirs is better. Look, Devoy, Coutts, Peter Snell, Bob Charles, Tony Wilding, Peter Blake, Murray Hallberg, John Walker, Bond & Murray, Valerie Vili, Lovelock, Sarah Ulmer and co are all marvellous. They're known and appreciated around the world, so no need to jump on us as if we were Australians for suggesting that others might have been a teeny bit better in their sports.

Your rugby players aren't bad, mind. I'll make a third of my all-time team to play Mars New Zealanders, if that isn't seen by you lot as another slight on your country.

I was going to suggest Eddy Hillary as he was a bludee good mountaineer, but I thought you might think I was "aving a larf"

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Extreme pinnalce would be the around the world race so i'd take Dame Ellen over all those previously mentioned.

Have some respect for history, The Americas cup has been going for about two hundred years in fact its probably one of the greatest sporting trophies of all time.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Mallory did it first Wink

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Diggers wrote:One Olympic gold, doesn't really compare to Ainslie. Ainslie also international sailor of the year 4 times, more than anyone else.

Point is that Ainslie has won in the small stuff but he hasnt done the big stuff, Coutts has won his gold medal in the small stuff also at the olympics but has won at the extreme pinnacle of the sport ie Americas cup level.

International sailor of the year hardly covers all aspects of yachting???

I don't think the Americas cup is that big a deal, the Vendee is far more of a global event.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 pm

I enjoy my history but circumnavigating the globe solo does kind of blow all other forms of sailing out the window.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm

It's the fact you do it on your own that makes it tough. Crazy people...which is why the best are all French probably.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 pm

If we're talking sailors, it's MacArthur or Joyon, no one else comes into my consideration.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:52 pm

I think the reason why the Americas Cup is not really recognised in the United Kingdom is because no British boat has ever won it.

Plenty of Kiwi crewman have crewed on both Whitbread/Volvo yachts and in American Cups crews.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:53 pm

MacArthur is bonkers, but no way is she one of the best two. Best woman maybe.
Dinghy sailing is where all the actual sailing skill is, but its a bit of an apples and oranges comparison.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next