The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Falling from Phoenix to the Ashes: Notes from the Ballwasher

+13
GPB
Leff
pedro
princedracula
incontinentia
McLaren
Shotrock
puligny
HiGun
Lairdy
1GrumpyGolfer
themightyone
kwinigolfer
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Falling from Phoenix to the Ashes: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Falling from Phoenix to the Ashes: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 30 Jan 2013, 3:29 pm

1).Falling from Phoenix? That'll be last year's come-from-behind "Waste Management Phoenix Open" winner Kyle Stanley who enjoyed immediate redemption from his San Diego fiasco by tracking down Spencer Levin's lead.
Having always liked Kyle Stanley's game, I for one thought he'd kick on and compete for more titles, Ryder Cup selection, the lot. And what happened? Exact opposite, nothing better than 16th place since, 19th in full-field events. He's hoping to pull out of his slide by moving base from Hilton Head to the Phoenix area but it will take more than Pickfords to get him moving in the right direction again.

2).And what of Spencer Levin? He could be out for the year having undergone thumb surgery in October and declaring that, if he isn't fully fit for next week's Pebble Beach stop, he could take a full year off under the Major Medical Extension exemption. But Levin will certainly be back contending eventually, too good a golfer not to.

3).A walk in the sun, and the rain and the wind for Tiger Woods in San Diego. He emerged from the fog of Torrey Pines - and Abu Dhabi - and basically lapped the field in becoming the 17th Californian to win in the past 26 years. Short game better than it has been for years.
What next for Woods? Well, three weeks off, then the WGC MatchPlay (presumably) and his run-up to The Masters. To read the US media you'd think he'll win five Majors this year but let's have a look at that with the Ballwasher's early assessment!
Augusta: 3/1. Probably wants this more than any other and doubtless feels that if he can just win one more Masters, he'll pass Nicklaus's 18 Majors at Augusta alone. But can he do it?

Merion: 6/1. If he leaves his driver at home. 20/1 otherwise.

Muirfield: 10/1. 28th in 2002, blown away in Round 3, but doesn't have much luck in Scotland other than at St.Andrews.

Oak Hill: 20/1. 39th in 2003 when he didn't break par. Don't fancy him to fare much better in August.

PS: Is his second name really "Tont"?

4).Controversy in San Diego as Monday's start time was pushed back at CBS's request. Early in the weekend, pgatour.com was reporting that:
"Anyone playing in the final two rounds of the Farmers will be given late tee-times in the Monday (Phoenix) qualifier in hopes that they can get to Phoenix in time."
Fat chance if their rounds don't finish on Monday until 3.00 p.m.
There were reports that this affected 16 Farmers contestants but, hey, CBS must show Tiger (except many CBS affililaites including ours! didn't show the golf).
Ben Curtis also reportedly unhappy because he then had to fly to Dubai! Difficult to have sympathy for such bloody stupid scheduling though.

5).Big decision for Brad Fritsch who was way down the list of alternates for Phoenix and needed a top ten at San Diego to qualify for "Waste Management". A 30-foot putt on 17 and another bird on 18 assured he made it in 9th place - good for him.
Reportedly Fritsch is the first player from Ottawa to reach the PGA Tour.
Which made one wonder how many from Washington DC have made it. Very few I'd think and I can't name one.
Other Canadian news: Mike Weir makes his first PGA Tour cut in 18 months.
Monday qualifier Adam Hadwin began the final round in 9th place only to shoot 12 over for his first 15 (Sunday) holes and then scarper, presumably to Monday qualie in Phoenix.

6).Woods missed the cut at Winged Foot in 2006 so imagine he's thrilled to see the US Open will return to suburban New York in 2020. Reportedly the decision was between Southern Hills (site of Goosen's first US Open win) and Winged Foot. Tiger's PGA win at Southern Hills in 2007 was among his most impressive Major wins in my estimation.

7).And last week saw Phil Mickelson residing in the owgr Top Fifty for the 1,000th consecutive week! Those chasing him from further back than Lord Baltimore are:
438: Luke Donald
332: Ian Poulter
307: Steve Stricker
302: Zach Johnson
298: Mahan
281: Westwood
261: Kaymer
217: McIlroy
201: Watney
. . . . 59: Tont

8).Lots of kudos going Tim Clark's way following his questioning of USGA's Mike Davis at last week's "anchoring" meeting of the Players. I'll repeat the link showing Rosaforte's take on it, which is quite interesting:
http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/20130128?sub_id=m6YFz2X7vbcH&folio=19#pg19

And Vijay's flirtation with deer antler spray is raising eyebrows so here's the latest from golfchannel.com:
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/report-singh-used-banned-substance/?mid=356&rid=641253&source=email

9).The Phoenix area has enjoyed more rain than any self-respecting desert should receive this past week - reportedly two inches at the TPC Scottsdale, but a fine week in prospect if early morning frost can be avioded.
Quite a strong field on hand and Europeans are starting to make their presence felt, in the field if not on the leaderboard.
This week we have Colsaerts, Harrington (with glasses?), Kaymer, Jacobson, Fisher (who scraped in as an alternate), and David Lynn as well as the steady diet of Blixt (could be a good week for Jonas), Davis, Laird, Owen, Pettersson, plus the only European champion since Sandy Lyle 25 years ago: Jesper Parnevik.
But no Karlsson or Lingmerth, both way down the list of "alternates".

10).Only one more week for our friends to reach the owgr and qualify for the WGC Accenture MatchPlay - two needing a podium(?) finish here to qualify, Kevin Na (runner-up at the age of 21 in 2005, and with 3rd, 4th, and 5th place finishes in the past five years, but no recent form to speak of); and Aaron Baddeley (winner in 2007 and showing signs of return to form).
Either could be worth half a crown each way, but I like Hunter Mahan this week; winner in 2010, running in to form and with a chip on his shoulder.
One thing is almost for sure: Golf will return to the back pages with no Woods on hand - unless he's photographed slaloming with Lindsey?

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Falling from Phoenix to the Ashes: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Falling from Phoenix to the Ashes: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by themightyone Wed 30 Jan 2013, 3:46 pm

Wonderful piece once again Kwine. Thanks.
I'd pick Sneds and Rickie Fowler. Both have been showing good form recently and like the course

themightyone

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Falling from Phoenix to the Ashes: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Falling from Phoenix to the Ashes: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:16 pm

Kwini, surely Hadwin was 12 over for his final round not under. He'd have been challenging Tiger at that rate and a 59 watch would have been instigated. Yours, pedantically, Grumps OK

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:22 pm

Cheers mighty,
Hadn't noticed Snedeker's excellent record in Phoenix - good shout.
And Fowler will have learned a lot from his close shave a few years ago. A great effort this past week starting Round 2 in last place and finishing in the top ten.

No Spencer Levin this week, then, but Kevin Sutherland resumes his PGA Tour career after missing most of the past two years thru injury. This follows signs of successful rehabilitation from the likes of Lucas Glover, Fatty Marino and Mike Weir.

Grumps,
I like pedantic! Thanks: Edit on its way!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:46 pm

Hi Kwini, thanks for the article.

As much as Fatty Marino never seems to stop moving over the ball he certainly didnt seem to be moving any quicker than Compton on monday...
What about another Kevin? Streelman. Read a piece on him on the pgatour.com (resumed normal service it seems) and although he's no real history at this event he is playing well and from memory fairs better on the west coast swing. Will watch to see how he fares this week along with Mahan (agreed) and BVP. Hoping Phil and Laird get the finger out too.

from a distance I'm not sure why you would leave Hilton Head for Pheonix? BUT Pickfords could do Stanley a favour and forget/break whatever putter he's used in the last 11months.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:14 pm

Great read as usual, thanks Kwini

had a shilling on Sneds and CH3 surely one day that lads going to finish something off, on a good run so why not....

(done an E/W double with Charlie H3 and David H = Chas & Dave Very Happy couldnt resist)

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:21 pm

Great post, kwini clap

1000 weeks!? That's not even 20 years...

For some reason I find it hard to associate the Arizona desert with rain or frost. Only played once over there, many centuries ago, and I remember it well because first of all it was ~100F+ and then I managed to twist my elbow that day as I tried (very stupidly) to hack it out from a very dry and hard spot near a bush...

I saw Levin was actually in the Phoenix field a few days ago, but vanished eventually... Fish won't mind too much, I'm sure. What's your feeling about the new Euro PGAT starters this year so far? Colsaerts, Fisher and Lynn in particular. Too early to tell, no doubt, but so far Ross looked the most promissing of that lot.

Hoping that Paddy gets a good start over there, I understand he will play quite a few events in the States over the next few weeks...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:44 pm

Cheers Lairdy, Gun,

Fatty Marino still needs to lose a few lb's. He and Compton were trying to defend themselves by saying they had a lot of "rulings" - apparently they were never warned, let alone put on the clock, perhaps CBS egging them on to string out viewership of Tiger?

I like Streelman, seems a nice guy but only three top 3's in close to 150 starts, and two of them were in Mexico and Puerto Rico, the other right next door to where he once lived. Had BVP on my fantasy team last week and he's now gone from my fantasy list to my sh1t list - decent form in Phoenix though, but not sure this course suits him enough for his second win in 321 starts.

Chuckie will hit the wall soon, but top 15's in his last SIX starts - certainly needs a respectable finish to secure his MatchPlay spot. Would think he'll take next week off then might fancy him in LA, site of his second win and a play-off loss. Love the Chas & Dave strategy . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:19 pm

Have an idea Streelman may be a local - one of the many tour pros playing at Whisper Rock?
Have enjoyed golf in Phoenix area several times but wouldn't get too excited about TPC.
Hope one of the Euros does it but most of all hope the tv coverage fed through over here improves. Don't know about slow play but last weeks effort unwatchable even with full control of the ffwd button!
What is Vijay doing! Oh dear!!! And Tim Clark, pull the other one.
Great read Kwini. Agree totally on Stanley - seems to have it all but maybe put his feet up having achieved!! Sorry to hear about Phils money worries!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 30 Jan 2013, 7:34 pm

Puligny - I've played Whisper Rock (amazing place) a few times and Streelman indeed a member, but started out as a caddie. No professionals are comp'd at Whisper Rock, so when they play there they don't need to be "on" for anyone. Chock-full of great golfers and professional athletes.

TPC a pretty uninteresting stadium course.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 30 Jan 2013, 7:41 pm

Cheers pd, puligny,

Unless there's anything compelling to write about next week, you know, Tiger, I'll have a look at my idea of Euro prospects this short season.

One things is for sure though, for those guys not in the Majors and/or WGC's: They've only got about twenty one more tournaments after Phoenix - almost 20% of their season already toast. Fish was fortunate to get in this week, Robbie Karlsson without the opportunity to improve his lot for the "reshuffle".

Yup, Streelman a Scottsdale resident but he doesn't have a fantastic record in the "desert" - I like Streelman although he's in an awful PGA Tour commercial being "mentored" by Tom Lehman. Think if Lehman spoke to me so righteously (reminds me of Lucinda!) I'd tell him to mentor this. Prat - spends too much time reading the bible.

Shotrock's comment reminds me there's a nice piece from SirDoug Ferguson this week about Ogilvy moving back to Scottsdale for much of the year because of the competition at Whisper Rock . . . . Didn't do him much good last week, of course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 30 Jan 2013, 7:43 pm

SR, not played Whisper Rock but told it is vg. As you say lots of high quality golfers, am and pro. Bones Mackay is prominent member, and the moustachioed one from US golf coverage.
Have you played the courses at We ko Pa? Favourites of ours along with Seven Canyons and oak Creek up at Sedona. Always enjoy Arizona though I know it doesn't get the best press.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 30 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

I did play We-Ko-Pa (Saguaro Course) - a GREAT track. Have also played Estancia, which I liked. Will have to look into those other you mentioned.

Agree, Arizona gets overlooked.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 30 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

With a Governor like Jan Brewer and a Senator like McCain, Arizona should come with a health warning.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:37 pm

What is Vijay doing?

Well, this is what he's saying:
http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/01/30/vijay-singh.html

Ignorance no excuse.
Nor is stupidity.

Back to you Mr.Commish.

And Commish-in-waiting Joe Ogilvie surprisingly tells Golf Channel:
"We don't test for HGH. If you're an athlete that's what you're going to take."
What does that mean?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:08 pm

So, if I understand it correctly, PGAT carries only urine drug tests, but it has on the list of banned substances stuff that can only be detected by blood tests... Looks like a 'who's the dumbest' competition... VJ or PGAT?

On a different note, I see another big name has switched equipment: Phelps moves from Speedos to PING...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 30 Jan 2013, 11:39 pm

Phelps should post on here

from an interview with GD on signing with ping-

"I hit three consecutive 7-irons from 170 yards to 180 yards"

He would be short by v2 standards but that is still pretty good for a 7 iron.

Here's what vijay has to say;

"While I have used deer antler spray, at no time was I aware that it may contain a substance that is banned under the PGA TOUR Anti-Doping Policy."

As noted above by kwini, surely ignorance is no excuse?

Edit: Here are the thoughts of bubba ("I think we should check people for mental problems if they're taking deer antler spray.")

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/1/30/bubba-i-think-we-should-check-people-for-mental-problems-if.html

Last edited by McLaren on Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link to bubba quote)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:37 am

and a 59 in the pro am from bo van pelt. Does that happen very often?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:50 am

Just remembered that martin laird came close here in 2011, could he revive his fortunes this week?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:18 am

Mac-re 59 in pro am. I recall Boxhall being asked in commentary what his worst ever round was. 62, on a Wednesday, was the reply!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm

Trevor Murphy shot a pro-am 56 at a Nationwide event in Ohio a couple of years ago. Still trying to repeat that form at Q-School.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 1:48 pm

No excuses for poor scoring in Phoenix this week - looks like ideal (highs in the 70's, dry and just a "mere zephyr" - thank you Ben Wright - of a breeze) at least in to Saturday. Sunday could be a little iffy.

First European out of the stalls will be Colsaerts and the creative minds of the PGA Tour have grouped him with two-time winner JB Holmes. "Chicks dig the long ball."

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 31 Jan 2013, 1:50 pm

I believe deer antler spray-gate isnt the first time big V's integrity has been called into question. The pga tour should punish him to the fullest extent possible.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:17 pm

princedracula wrote:On a different note, I see another big name has switched equipment: Phelps moves from Speedos to PING...
Just heard him giving an interview after the Pro-Am, he said that he keeps a pair of Speedos in the bag just in case he hits in the water somewhere... Very Happy

I played in the Pro-Am as well yesterday, did pretty well actually... Whistle

Spoiler:

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:27 pm

pd, is that you in the blue outfit?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:14 pm

Uh uh,
Frost delay for one hour.
Which means Round 1 will not be complete until Friday.

And Vijay Singh has "a back injury" and has withdrawn.

Well, Calc said the antler spray was useless for his back; Vijay discovering the same, but at what cost?
Can't imagine the PGA Tour won't suspend him - they set the precedent with Doug Barron after all and have invited others to take time out recently, although not all for drugs or even sex addiction.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:35 pm

Hope PGA officials will use common sense and not take drastic actions against Vijay. He was the one who revealed it. It's not like he had no choice, but to acknowledge. Heavens, it was for pains and aches, same as using an OTC balm.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:35 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:And Vijay Singh has "a back injury" and has withdrawn.

Is Back Injury a new euphemism for "Delirium Tremens"?

Rafa Cabrera Bello in the Pebble Beach field next week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:39 pm

Leff,
We'll have to see. Barron reportedly had doctor's orders for the medication he was banned for taking.
But now Calc has admitted using the same stuff in 2011 before he realised it was prohibited the can of worms is well and truly opened.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 6:09 pm

Very low scoring already in the Arizona desert - will we have a 59 watch? Phil??
Good to see Colsaerts on the bandwagon early, and Harrington off to a nice start also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 6:44 pm

Phil??? -8 after 10 holes. Not a bad start.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:06 pm

Maybe Phil borrowed Vijay's antler spray?

Weather delay on the PGA Tour? Really?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:37 pm

Phil en fuego ... -10 through 13 ... a heck of a round one going!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:02 pm

Would love Phil to get to 59 but looking a bit dodgy now.

Super start from Harrington and Colsaerts, but Team England collectively +3 so far.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:08 pm

-11 after 16. Phil????

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:14 pm

So far he birdied ~70% of the holes he played. He only needs a 50% rate for the last two holes, so should be easy ... Whistle

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:22 pm

-44 wins this tournament -- Guaranteed!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:27 pm

From Phil's picture on pgatour.com, it's certainly not only antler spray the guy is on...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:39 pm

Anti-climax - only ties for Phil's lowest round at Phoenix!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:45 pm

Loser!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:04 pm

Good read as ever Kwini OK

Wikipedia only knows of two PGA Tour winners from DC - Timmy Finchem's mentor Deane Beman and Olin Browne. Others listed from the capital are a 90s Web.com journeyman called Estes (not Bob), some guy named Gibson who won on the seniors circuit 15 years ago, a pre-war women's major winner, and ex-Solheim Cupper Heather Bowie Young.

No sign of Brian Davis on today's leaderboard, has he withdrawn late-notice again? Did something similar last week, is he not 100%?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:15 pm

Hi Ned,
Some research! clap
Darn, I should have known Olin Browne!
Imagine Fred Funk is about the other closest of (relatively) recent years.

Just noticed the Davis defection myself - two missed cuts to go with two missed starts. An inauspicious beginning with his new sticks. Only two career top tens on the West Coast so he's used to a slow start, but this is ridiculous.
Not the start that Kaymer wanted!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:51 pm

Afternoon scores nowhere near as sporty as the morning efforts.
Fisher leaving himself a mountain to climb on Friday (and possibly Saturday if there's another frost delay).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 31 Jan 2013, 10:05 pm

It helps when you can find a wiki page entitled "golfers from Washington D.C." Kwini! Wink

Decidedly eccentric start from Kaymer, but Laird has flown out of the traps. Only guy bettering him from the afternoon wave is, er, Hank Kuehne. Obviously.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 31 Jan 2013, 10:33 pm

Kaymer, o'hair, ogilvy and fisher currently proping up the field.

As to VJ's punishment, does anyone have a link to PGAT's drug policy which must contain a list of possible sanctions when you are caught. They wont just make it up now that someone got caught will they? Smile

leff - there is a principle when it comes to drugs cheating and it is more to do with just taking it rather than what you actually took. Cheating is cheating, despite what lance may have us think.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:29 pm

They can ban Vijay from thePgaT alright, but who cares, soon he'll be on the Champions Tour. I suspect they'll make it so an eventual ban on the PgaT won't count into the CT. thumbsdown

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Feb 2013, 12:10 am

I love the idea that O'Meara says he's a good friend of Vijay but feels he should go down for a couple of months.
Who needs enemies when you have friends like O'Meara?
Hope they're sat next to each other at the Masters Dinner.

pedro,
You can be sure that any suspension on the PGA Tour will also be applied on the Champo Tour.
But what will they do with Calc?
Or even Bob Charles who's been at it for 20 years??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 01 Feb 2013, 12:15 am

McLaren wrote:
leff - there is a principle when it comes to drugs cheating and it is more to do with just taking it rather than what you actually took. Cheating is cheating, despite what lance may have us think.

Cheating implies acting dishonestly with the intention of gaining unfair advantage. He did not cheat.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 01 Feb 2013, 12:19 am

leff - are you talking about lance of VJ?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 01 Feb 2013, 12:24 am

Rather admit and act stupid, than be caught with antlers up your @rse.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next