The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Big Is Froch Vs Kessler?

+9
Imperial Ghosty
azania
jimdig
bellchees
severe-mma
TRUSSMAN66
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
Strongback
13 posters

Go down

How Big Is Froch Vs Kessler? Empty How Big Is Froch Vs Kessler?

Post by Strongback Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

From the BBC website.

Nottingham boxer Carl Froch tells BBC East Midlands Today that his match-up with Mikkel Kessler later this year will probably be the "biggest fight to happen in Britain in the last 10 years".

Thought it might be interesting to look back on the last 10 years and see if Froch v Kessler is the biggest match up in British boxing in a decade.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

How Big Is Froch Vs Kessler? Empty Re: How Big Is Froch Vs Kessler?

Post by Rowley Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:34 pm

Is genuinely difficult to say Strongy, you could make an argument for Hatton v Kostya as I think Hatton had crossed over more into the mainstream and Kostya had a wider standing globally than Kessler has but on the flipside Ricky had at the time not achieved anywhere near what Carl has so swings and roundabouts.

Think Calzaghe vs Kessler was arguably bigger, whatever you think of Joe his stock was still pretty high on the back of the Lacy win and the fight was, beyond any sensible argument for who was the top dog at supermiddle. Whilst this is a cracking fight unless Ward retires between now and May this fight is most assuredly not

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:38 pm

Depends on the criteria I guess. Hardcore boxing fans might agree with him. Jeff's shouts for Calzaghe/Kessler and Hatton/Tsyzu have merit as well.

If you're looking for a crossover fight though then I doubt Froch v Kessler II is the biggest. I doubt a single of my casual friends have heard of either fighter to be honest.

I think Haye v Harrison and all the shenanigans that surrounded that is arguably bigger. Massive purses for a non-event and made the mainstream news coverage as well.

I think Hatton v Tsyzu satisfies the criteria of being heavily watched and highly competitive so I think I would plump for that.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:41 pm

I just don't think Froch is an attraction outside of the Boxing establishment.........

He is average looking.......He has no great personality and he's lost two of his biggest fights!!!

He desperately lacks a "Gimmick"....

Benn was the blue collar destroyer...Eubank was the cocky snob everyone wanted slamming.....Hatton was the lovable tiger,,,,Naseem was unorthodox and brutally effective and a love him/hate him type......Calzaghe was handsome and unbeaten....

I don't dislike Froch and I don't particularly like him...

and that's his problem.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:41 pm

If we’re talking just events that capture the imagination you would have to say Tyson Francis is right up there. Sold out weeks in advance and as someone who was there I can honestly say the atmosphere both in Manchester and in the venue was right up there with the best I have ever experienced.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:43 pm

Rowley wrote:If we’re talking just events that capture the imagination you would have to say Tyson Francis is right up there. Sold out weeks in advance and as someone who was there I can honestly say the atmosphere both in Manchester and in the venue was right up there with the best I have ever experienced.

It certainly helped with Francis's sponsored boot soles plastered on the back page of The Mirror!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:45 pm

I think about five people came to watch Francis....

Tyson sold big............The last real mega star Boxing had..

How we could do with him now..or a Dempsey.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:02 pm

Khan vs Kotelnyk or Khan vs Barrera probably got more attention that Froch v Kessler will. I suppose it shows the best match ups are not always the biggest fights.

If Hearn Jr can't sell Froch in the lead up to this fight I think the Nottingham man will never make it into the public's consciousness.

It's arguable whether Haye has made a bigger splash than Khan. Khan's fights do tend to deliver action which helps back up the publicity.

It's hard to see past Hatton for public popularity though.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by severe-mma Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:04 pm

I reckon Froch is going to do a number on this this guy. Hes been unstoppable recently. Kessler is going to get a beat down just like Bute did.

severe-mma

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:10 pm

Let's all go and bet on Froch...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:16 pm

Cannot agree with Froch at all on this.

I think Haye vs Chisora and Harrison were both bigger events even if they shouldn't have been. The same with Hatton vs Senchenko and Lazcano both probably bigger events as far as outside of pure boxing fans are concerned.

Hatton vs Tszyu would also beat it for me as well as Calzaghe vs Kessler.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:18 pm

I was thinking that Mitchel v Katisdis probably had more cross over appeal than Froch v Kessler.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:18 pm

I agree belly...all fights where at least one of the combatants has a personality..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by severe-mma Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:20 pm

bellchees wrote:Cannot agree with Froch at all on this.

I think Haye vs Chisora and Harrison were both bigger events even if they shouldn't have been. The same with Hatton vs Senchenko and Lazcano both probably bigger events as far as outside of pure boxing fans are concerned.

Hatton vs Tszyu would also beat it for me as well as Calzaghe vs Kessler.

I Haye v Harrison was massive. Was wicked seeing Haye ktfo of Harrison. Harrison is a prize tool.

severe-mma

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

Froch is delusional. Exciting fighter and looking forward to Kessler retiring him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by severe-mma Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:30 pm

Your delusional if ya think that Danish pastry is going to retire Froch. Kessler will get smashed and retired.

severe-mma

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

Like last time..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:35 pm

severe-mma wrote:Your delusional if ya think that Danish pastry is going to retire Froch. Kessler will get smashed and retired.

Well he beat him last time. Where will Froch go when he loses again?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by severe-mma Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:37 pm

No phony judges this time to save him. Just him and Froch and hes going to get muddled up. Froch is a beast. Kessler will pay for his robbery. He aint going to be in Denmark any more for this one. Cant wait for it.

severe-mma

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:38 pm

Let us know when we should start taking you seriously.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:39 pm

Are you related to Froch.....??

Could you get me a signed picture of his Mrs If you are...

"To the beefster with love" will do!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:39 pm

Severe, there is a swear filter on here for a reason. That reason is not so you can find ways round it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:41 pm

Realistically the first fight should have been much bigger as you could make a case at the time that the winner could be number one at their weight. Especially if Froch had won. That's not the case now and to a degree if Froch wins a tough fight ... which is the probable likely outcome...it doesn't really prove much other than they really need a decider on neutral territory.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by severe-mma Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:42 pm

I get behind all our lads when they fight apart from Khan and Harrison. Nuff said about the pair of them. Cmon Froch son! Kesslers going to be a long way from home.

severe-mma

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

severe-mma wrote:No phony judges this time to save him. Just him and Froch and hes going to get muddled up. Froch is a beast. Kessler will pay for his robbery. He aint going to be in Denmark any more for this one. Cant wait for it.

Yeah but no but yeah but whatever. Froch lost aiight me old mucker.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

Must admit we've nothing but admiration for anybody that gets behind lads in Didsbury....

The Oyster army is looking for new recruits!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 31 Jan 2013, 10:31 pm

its too early to say how big its gonna be. the hype machine wont really kick into gear for a month or two yet. froch is obviously doing his best to talk it up already, and who can blame him. his popularity has come on a huge way in the past year, but hes still desparate to make that jump into a household name. kessler is not the easiest to sell anymore though. even a lot of casual fans know its a few years since calzaghe beat him, and realise hes no longer the force he once was. also was the first fight really that exciting? i think they can do a lot better this time, and hopefully not rely on scrutinising the judges decisions.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 31 Jan 2013, 10:46 pm

severe-mma wrote:I get behind all our lads when they fight apart from Khan and Harrison. Nuff said about the pair of them. Cmon Froch son! Kesslers going to be a long way from home.

You expect us to listen while admitting to bias and discrimination.

hmmmm....I see a problem.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 8:51 am

azania wrote:
severe-mma wrote:Your delusional if ya think that Danish pastry is going to retire Froch. Kessler will get smashed and retired.

Well he beat him last time. Where will Froch go when he loses again?

That is a good question and not beyond the rounds of possibility. Kessler won the last fight, though not convincingly, and I still hope it will be a very competative bout. My money is on Froch to win this time, but if he doesn't, he is likely to retire and feel very bitter. He will feel as if he has let himself down by not beating a beatable opponent.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down