The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brian O'Driscoll on sport Wales

+12
Gibson
red_stag
GunsGerms
Shifty
TJ1
rodders
RubyGuby
nathan
thebluesmancometh
Feckless Rogue
Glas a du
LordDowlais
16 posters

Go down

Brian O'Driscoll on sport Wales Empty Brian O'Driscoll on sport Wales

Post by LordDowlais Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:31 pm

What a stand out chap he comes across as. He has said that the Millenium Stadium is the best stadium he has ever played in and he has hinted that this might be his last six nations, just a quick question for our Irish friends on here, How do you think Ireland will cope without a player,who at his peak,was probably the best center in the world ? Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Brian O'Driscoll on sport Wales Empty Re: Brian O'Driscoll on sport Wales

Post by Glas a du Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:02 pm

Loved him wearing the Lions top...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:13 pm

Well we already have lost peak O'Driscoll. He's around 34 now and no longer the best centre in the home nations let alone the world. But when he was at his peak, he made an incredible difference to Ireland's fortunes. Our win rate with O'Driscoll was very high, when he was injured and didn't play it dropped dramatically.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on in this years 6 nations. In between injuries he's still showing moments of class. I think he's a bit past it now. But would anybody be surprised if he turned in one more terrific tournament. I hope so. He's played in every 6 Nations tournament except last year. And has been named player of the tournament numerous times. I'd like to see him bow out with a good one.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm

Was he wearing his Aus 2013 HSBC lions jersey by any chance?

And did he promote the tour whenever possible?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:21 pm

The thing is with O'Driscoll, just when you think he is over the hill, he will play a stormer and totally rule the game, he might be old, but he is far from past it, athletes these days can perform for much longer as they are on totaly different diets and training regimes these days, also the life style of a rugby player is miles away from the idols I looked up to as a youngster, where going training was an excuse for a pint afterwards.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:22 pm

LordDowlais wrote:What a stand out chap he comes across as. He has said that the Millenium Stadium is the best stadium he has ever played in and he has hinted that this might be his last six nations, just a quick question for our Irish friends on here, How do you think Ireland will cope without a player,who at his peak,was probably the best center in the world ? Ale

On welsh tv he would say that.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:23 pm

The guy is a class apart thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:43 pm

O'Driscoll is irreplaceable, a once in a lifetime player.... life will go on for Irish rugby but it has been a privilege to have been able to follow his career from (more or less) start to finish. His contribution to Irish rugby is immeasurable.

There's life in the auld dog yet but the end is nigh for sure...hope he can go out on a well deserved high.... guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:46 pm

A great player and a true gent.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:48 pm

Howley is doing his best to ensure he gets a good send off Rodders thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 02 Feb 2013, 4:56 pm

I respect him as a player he is / was very talented, and the game will be worse off for losing him. As a Welshman I'm glad he's retiring because he is such a great player it makes it hard to win when he's on the field.
I hoped with BoD, RoG, and PoC all knocking on now we might see Ireland dropping off a bit, but not likely if today is anything to go by.

Oddly though in interviews after Ireland lose, it is never Ireland's fault, it's always the referee or something very dodgy that has caused Ireland to lose. At times he has had a poor attitude towards opposition that have beaten Ireland. Possibly down to a sheer will to win and an attitude to win for Ireland. But still he could of been more sportsman like at times after games, and given the opposition due credit.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 03 Feb 2013, 9:54 am

Naturally BOD would have wanted to say nice things about the MS because it is the last time he will play there. He has some amazing memories at the MS and no doubt he is quite fond of the Welsh.

BOD will be selected for the Lions and his last ever test match will be a Lions test victory v Australia. His crowning glory and what a way to go.

Hilarious how he always makes doubters and naysayers look foolish. When will they ever learn.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 03 Feb 2013, 10:04 am

Shifty wrote:Oddly though in interviews after Ireland lose, it is never Ireland's fault, it's always the referee or something very dodgy that has caused Ireland to lose. At times he has had a poor attitude towards opposition that have beaten Ireland. Possibly down to a sheer will to win and an attitude to win for Ireland. But still he could of been more sportsman like at times after games, and given the opposition due credit.

When has he shown this attitude? When exactly does he show this poor attitude towards the opposition or always deflect blame onto others.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 03 Feb 2013, 10:17 am

Shifty wrote:I respect him as a player he is / was very talented, and the game will be worse off for losing him. As a Welshman I'm glad he's retiring because he is such a great player it makes it hard to win when he's on the field.
I hoped with BoD, RoG, and PoC all knocking on now we might see Ireland dropping off a bit, but not likely if today is anything to go by.

Oddly though in interviews after Ireland lose, it is never Ireland's fault, it's always the referee or something very dodgy that has caused Ireland to lose. At times he has had a poor attitude towards opposition that have beaten Ireland. Possibly down to a sheer will to win and an attitude to win for Ireland. But still he could of been more sportsman like at times after games, and given the opposition due credit.

Shifty you have to admit Ireland have been quite unfortunate with refs against Wales lately. Mike Philips try, Davies not getting sent off, Ferris getting a soft yellow, Best getting a yellow for no apparent reason yesterday. Nobody was complaining after the WC match because it was reffed fairly and Wales completely dominated but it does get really frustrating when tight matches are swayed by bizarre decisions.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 03 Feb 2013, 10:39 am

You're off the mark there GG. Your basic point is right, but you were very leniently dealt with at the breakdown in that first half. You couldn't keep getting away with it. The Healy try had at least three penalties for Wales in the build up. Having said that I'm glad it was scored for the bravura skill of Zebo. We are going to see a lot of that particular clip Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 03 Feb 2013, 12:02 pm

Glas a du wrote:You're off the mark there GG. Your basic point is right, but you were very leniently dealt with at the breakdown in that first half. You couldn't keep getting away with it. The Healy try had at least three penalties for Wales in the build up. Having said that I'm glad it was scored for the bravura skill of Zebo. We are going to see a lot of that particular clip Very Happy

Yes Ireland infrindged but Wales gave away as many penalties as Ireland yet Ireland got two yellow cards. I have rewatched Bests binning and cant work out what it was for. I think Wales were just a lot smarter in how they infrindged than Ireland.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 03 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

O Driscoll has been doing this for years now. He gears and readies himself for the big ones. Gets focused on a target and wont back off till he reaches it. See 2009, when people were writing him off even then. Cue a SLAM and the HC - both won on his drive and initiative.

His focus is now the Lions. The 6-N Championship would be nice on the way, but nobody forgets a Lions Tour.

I backed him for the Lions before this all kicked off. All the usual signs were there. Rested, fit and hungry. I am more convinced than ever now that he will make it - as Captain. Injury permitting. No one else comes even close as a contender. Maybe Best.

Be a great way to say goodbye to international rugby. I pray he makes it.

Best all-round rugby-player of his generation. Can even play scrumhalf at a push.

Last edited by Gibson on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by لعبة الركبي لاعب Sun 03 Feb 2013, 12:14 pm

BOD is a freak.

I really wish Umaga hadn't dumped him in 2005 and Woodward had picked the best players.

BOD, Henson and Williams on form would have been exceptional to watch.

لعبة الركبي لاعب

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 03 Feb 2013, 12:49 pm

لعبة الركبي لاعب wrote:BOD is a freak.

I really wish Umaga hadn't dumped him in 2005 and Woodward had picked the best players.

BOD, Henson and Williams on form would have been exceptional to watch.

From memory I think Henson and O'Driscoll had a big feud at the time (Henson accused BOD of eye gouging him and pulling him by the hair when they played).

Extract from the Henson autobiography "As I was on the ground, O'Driscoll came in and tried to 'jackal' me - a term we use to mean stealing the ball from your opponent on the ground. But he also decided to pull my hair and tried to gouge my eye for good measure, saying 'How do you like that? to me"

There were always going to be issues getting them to gel.

The player who I thought was most hard done by on that tour was Charlie Hodgson who was playing so much better than Wilkinson, O'Gara or Stephen Jones.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 03 Feb 2013, 12:51 pm

im unsure of that point! whoever heard of henson having difficultly with gel?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 03 Feb 2013, 12:52 pm

thumbsup
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 03 Feb 2013, 12:57 pm

Gibson wrote:O Driscoll has been doing this for years now. He gears and readies himself for the big ones. Gets focused on a target and wont back off till he reaches it. See 2009, when people were writing him off even then. Cue a SLAM and the HC - both won on his drive and initiative.

His focus is now the Lions. The 6-N Championship would be nice on the way, but nobody forgets a Lions Tour.

I backed him for the Lions before this all kicked off. All the usual signs were there. Rested, fit and hungry. I am more convinced than ever now that he will make it - as Captain. Injury permitting. No one else comes even close as a contender. Maybe Best.

Be a great way to say goodbye to international rugby. I pray he makes it.

Best all-round rugby-player of his generation. Can even play scrumhalf at a push.

If Tuillagi gets left out for 36/Barritt then it becomes a given doesnt it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 03 Feb 2013, 2:05 pm

Took me a while to work out what you meant by 36. Now I feel stupid.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 03 Feb 2013, 2:21 pm

Peter,
I like 36. Excellent in defence and attack. And, he has a brain. If he keeps this up, he will be on the plane. Not sure if Tuillagi is a good man to have on a Lions Tour. Great player, but a loose cannon and not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Another Henson.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 03 Feb 2013, 2:25 pm

Gibson wrote:Peter,
I like 36. Excellent in defence and attack. And, he has a brain. If he keeps this up, he will be on the plane. Not sure if Tuillagi is a good man to have on a Lions Tour. Great player, but a loose cannon and not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Another Henson.

Bit harsh. He is definitely better than Henson.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 03 Feb 2013, 2:57 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Gibson wrote:Peter,

Another Henson.

Bit harsh. He is definitely better than Henson.

Not at acting the eejeit though. Its close.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 03 Feb 2013, 3:04 pm

I really enjoyed the BOD interview on Sport Wales. Highlights of it were shown before the match coverage yesterday on the BBC. It was quite sad in a way as he talked of his retirement. He really wants to go on the Lions tour beforehand though. I think he will, and I certainly hope so. BOD always comes across as an amicable guy, happy to answer most questions - even the awkward ones. I've always liked him as a sports personality and player. Now Wales are out of contention, I'm hoping for BOD's sake Ireland get at least the Triple Crown in his final Six Nations Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down