The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mayweather v alexander??

+13
BoxingFan88
Rowley
manos de piedra
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
davidemore
two_tone
mobilemaster8
hampo17
bhb001
spencerclarke
17 posters

Go down

mayweather v alexander?? Empty mayweather v alexander??

Post by spencerclarke Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:33 am

Ok this may be down to me being sleep deprived but I missing something?

Its all over twitter that mayweather has signed to fight Alexander!!!

Is this for real? When I logged off last night I was under the assumption alexander had pulled out of the Brook fight through injury to look on twitter this morning to see this.

Is this a hoax or a joke I missed or is this genuine?

If its true im gutted for kel. The fight itself would stink the place out though. Only one winner here. Floyd by complete shutout.

Begin laughing now though if ive just missed something!!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

mayweather v alexander?? Empty Re: mayweather v alexander??

Post by spencerclarke Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:40 am

Apparently it started on floyds twitter account. Has a maybe got a dodgy calender and thinks its april the first?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:50 am

Pulled out because of injury and then fights some one bigger immediately ... I have heard that trick before. Was it Haye or one of the K2s that pulled that one last. Can't remember.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:56 am

Its not going to do brook and favours at all. He'll probably get the title by having alexander stripped then fall into the cleveley bracket of being a world champion without ever having a fight let alone one that could tell us if or not he is worthy. Then massive question marks will remain.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:28 am

Could just be a move to get the guys he's been negotiating with on to the back foot. This isn't a fight I want to see personally.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:46 am

I hope you are right paul. Other than the injury there is technically nothing wrong with the fight. Two weight world champion. Current holder of a belt at welter. From that perspective devon probably has more of a claim than ortiz did. But then other than ortiz being exciting to watch he really had no claim to be in the ring with floyd. Its just going to be a shocker and prove nothing.

Shame really if it is true. Nothing in it for the mexicans either. Unless a few of the other rumours doing the rounds on twitter are true too. Khan v guerrerro. Although I think that was more of a wish for the under card rather than any substance

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:48 am

Of course if it is true I predict sean going absolutely mental!!!!

Beware the mod today!

Heres hoping one or two of our 'characters' turn up.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:44 am

Just seen this. May 4th is lined up for a unification bout at Welterweight. Bad news for Kell Brook, but saying that, he could take on Malignaggi on the undercard for the WBA strap and then unify the WBC/WBA/IBF against Mayweather in Sept time.

Or to be more realistic, win against Magic Man and then fight Khan in December in a stadium for WBA

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:57 am

Has this actually got any substance to it? Anyone got a link?

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 06 Feb 2013, 9:09 am

This fight would be awful. A snooze fest all round. Feel well sorry for Kell Brook.

Mayweather needs to leave the P4P top ten list if this fight happens.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 9:15 am

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-says-deal-face-alexander-nearly-done--62104

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 9:37 am

A Cinco de Mayo boxing match with no Mexican's involved? PBF not fancy taking on a big guy like Alvarez so decides upon proven world-level failure Devon Alexander??

Ridiculous. Got to feel sorry for Brook.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 10:08 am

A strange turn of events if this is true, to say the least.

Alexander hasn't exactly been setting the world alight over the past two or three years, brings little to no financial clout and has absolutely nothing at all in his arsenal, in any way, to trouble Mayweather. This proposed fight will be little more than a glorified sparring session for Floyd, unless he turns fifty-odd overnight.

It's not that Alexander is a bad fighter or an unworthy opponent, necessarily; it's just that he's not as good a fighter or as worthy an opponent as Guerrero, Garcia, Marquez or Alvarez, and of course all of those names, given their hispanic roots, offer Floyd a more lucrative option for a Cinco de Mayo fight.

And what will come out of this for Brook? He's already had to fight two 'final eliminator' fights for that IBF belt, and if Alexander has pulled the plug on their showdown then he'd have every right to feel a little aggrieved if the sanctioning body don't strip the man from St. Louis and at least pitch Brook against a ranked contender for the vacant belt, given how often the other bodies have done this for less deserving fighters.

I wonder if Brook and Hearn might be left to rue turning down Bradley's offer of a fight last autumn?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 10:28 am

Can't blame Alexander for chasing the buck if true. Boxing is a hard business.

Not sure the IBF would strip Alexander If it's his title they are fighting for..

The sanction fee for a Mayweather fight will be ten times that for a Brook one....

Brook is young enough to get in line.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 10:31 am

Can't blame Alexander. Can blame Floyd then....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 11:06 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Can't blame Alexander for chasing the buck if true. Boxing is a hard business....

Oh I agree with that, Truss. Any fighter in Alexander's position would do the same thing, I'm sure. Just trying to see it from Brook's perspective, and Alexander's wellbeing will be scant consolation for the plug being pulled on the biggest and most significant fight of his career just weeks before it's due to take place.

Hard business like you say, but Brook will still be understandably livid about this.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 06 Feb 2013, 11:16 am

Can't see Hearn backing down or taking a pay cut to move out of the way

Contracts have been signed, the injury must be a fake as you won't walk into a training camp vs Floyd with a torn bicep as it will lessen your already unlikely chance to pull off the win, and a title was at stake.

Hearn has already mentioned it and says that he is more than ready to get in the way of the Floyd fight

From Mayweathers perspective it makes no sense and my opinion if him will go down. The only thing he gets is another title which might not even be the cad rig they strip Alexander

Guerrero makes far too much sense for it not to happen. Multiweight champion, good exposure from last 2 big bouts, more impressive (as a spectacle as Alexander spoils whereas Guerrero goes to war) style, has more fans (not huge following but Devon can barely sell out his backyard) and most importantly is Mexican and the fight is on Cinco de Mayo. Alexander has been beaten and outboxed by Bradley, Kotelnik and Matthysse and none are anywhere near the level of Floyd

Alexander would obviously take the fight, huge exposure and record purse, I would if I were him just have to feel sorry for Brook

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 06 Feb 2013, 11:18 am

Really poor choice of opponent considering how sparingly Mayweather fights. Cant really be justified in my view.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 06 Feb 2013, 11:35 am

Can’t blame Alexander as he will receive enough against Floyd to pay Brook a good chunk of step aside money and still end up way in front of where he would be facing Kell, this is to say nothing of the chance of turning over Floyd and making his name forever, as unlikely as that may be.

Have to feel sorry for Brook though, we all bemoan the wild west structure that seems to rule in the sport at times but in Brook we have a guy who has done things the right way, worked his way up the rankings, took an eliminator and earned his standing as mandatory and agreed to go to the other guys back yard for the fight only to be left high and dry when a better offer comes around. Would not hold my breath on the governing body doing too much to fight Kell’s corner on this one though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:01 pm

Complete garbage fight not interested at all.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:08 pm

spencerclarke wrote:Of course if it is true I predict sean going absolutely mental!!!!

Beware the mod today!

WHAT THE MOTHER OF tickle IS THIS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIRST, HE PULLS OUT OF THE BROOK FIGHT WITH LESS THAN 2 WEEKS TO GO.

THEN HE SIGNS TO FIGHT THE BIG MONEY FIGHT. ONE WHICH HE HAS ZERO CHANCE OF WINNING AND ALSO ONE WHICH HE BRINGS ABOUT THREE FANS TO THE TABLE!!!!

SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET BANNED TODAY!!!!! Ok, nobody is going to get banned. BUT THIS IS SOME OUTRAGEOUS STUFF!!

Now i get K9 for my troubles, IN DETROIT! Alexander is my least fav boxer in the world

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:10 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
spencerclarke wrote:Of course if it is true I predict sean going absolutely mental!!!!

Beware the mod today!

THEN HE SIGNS TO FIGHT THE BIG MONEY FIGHT. ONE WHICH HE HAS ZERO CHANCE OF WINNING AND ALSO ONE WHICH HE BRINGS ABOUT THREE FANS TO THE TABLE!!!!

SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET BANNED TODAY!!!!! Ok, nobody is going to get banned. BUT THIS IS SOME OUTRAGEOUS STUFF!!

Now i get K9 for my troubles, IN DETROIT! Alexander is my least fav boxer in the world

That fight has absolute stinker written all over it!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:16 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET BANNED TODAY!!!!!

Might be you Sean if you try to get round the swear filter again, what an example to set.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:24 pm

Rowley wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET BANNED TODAY!!!!!

Might be you Sean if you try to get round the swear filter again, what an example to set.

I would like to apologise to you Rowley, and the forum. I was just upset. I am not beyond reproach, I know. But the thought of K9 swarming his lackluster opponent like bees as I sit int he Masonic Theatre - I imagine cold and frosty form lack of fans - it got to me. No excuses

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:27 pm

If Alexander is next...It shows what a costly loss to Garcia..Khan's was!!

I imagine a football ground Khan v Mayweather would have been next...for big bucks...

Khan would have been a bigger sell for sure.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If Alexander is next...It shows what a costly loss to Garcia..Khan's was!!

I imagine a football ground Khan v Mayweather would have been next...for big bucks...

Khan would have been a bigger sell for sure.

Agreed

Alexander really is scraping the barrel for Mayweather. Especially in May. He brings nothing to the table really. Doesn't have a big fanbase, not exciting to watch and no big wins of late. Would rather have seen Guerrero if just for his huge heart

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:31 pm

Definitely bigger sell (tho lacking the entertainment of having the dads kick off at eachother) and I'd give Khan more chance than the limited Garcia.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:31 pm

Only joking Sean, as someone who has suffered from a similar misfortune you're allowed a quick meltdown over it. The mention of the Froch Bute fight still has me on the verge.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:35 pm

It would be interesting to see what numbers an Alexander fight does. Even for Mayweather I dont know if this one will be able to generate much enthusiasm. I cant see the tv networks enthusing over it either.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:36 pm

I can see the networks enthusing over it...

Who else can they enthuse about....Donaire, Alvarez, Martinez?????

All no-names state side...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:40 pm

Rowley wrote:Only joking Sean, as someone who has suffered from a similar misfortune you're allowed a quick meltdown over it. The mention of the Froch Bute fight still has me on the verge.

thumbsup

So annoying, isn't it

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

Beware the mod today!

Haha sean I'm glad you can still have a laugh about it. It really is a stinker to fans when this sort of thing happens though. It canhave a future detrimental effect to the support of the innocent party too. If people have been burnt once then they are unlikely to by tickets again as the uncertainty of boxing really hits home. This is of course a generalised view as at the mo we dont the details to form a complete opinion

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:31 pm

Terrible for Brook.

Don't blame fighters for seeking big money fights but when you sign a contract you must honour it.

This is what you would expect from the Americans im afraid except the ones from Roxbury Boston Mass.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

That's right brother....we are a cut above...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Wed 06 Feb 2013, 9:29 pm

I've no problem with the actual fight - Mayweather vs Alexander. It's a decent enough fight and I never expect Floyd to take the hardest route.

Alvarez vs Floyd will never happen unless GBP need to cash-out on Saul. Guerrero is still a real possibility for later this year.

I feel sorry for Brook but with the IBF now saying that they won't sanction, Floyd vs Devon, then he is likely to get an easier fight for the Vacant belt. IBF rankings don't look upto much, so plenty of defences lined up for Kell and in the UK.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 06 Feb 2013, 9:39 pm

Well Rob if thats the case and they can get their arris' in to gear soon it will probably be zavek. They both had the same sort of schedule by the looks of it.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Wed 06 Feb 2013, 9:45 pm

spencerclarke wrote:Well Rob if thats the case and they can get their arris' in to gear soon it will probably be zavek. They both had the same sort of schedule by the looks of it.

Yeah, the IBF rankings look abit weak. I don't blame Alexander jumping at the 'Mega bucks' and to be honest press releases about Alexander vs Brook were slow - so maybe the one side was hunting for another fight. (Alexanders side)

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 06 Feb 2013, 9:55 pm

spencerclarke wrote:Well Rob if thats the case and they can get their arris' in to gear soon it will probably be zavek. They both had the same sort of schedule by the looks of it.

Unfortunately its a week too late as Zaveck has agreed to fight Thurman in March for a mandatory shot at Bradley, and even if Thurman (who should win) doesn't fight Bradley I doubt that Brook would want to risk a title shot against a beatable fighter but hits like a train and is huge for a welterweight in Thurman

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 07 Feb 2013, 6:49 pm

tickets have been sold, it surely must be all talk from mayweather? i could see alexander thinking he would rather lose to mayweather than brook if he wasnt confident but surely it would have happen well brook delayed the fight? if not zavick (Jackiwicz is also busy) then brook already beat carson jones and Saldivia, mike jones lost to bailey who lost to alexander and apart from Naoufel Ben Rabeh (who i have never heard of) Lee Purdy is the highest ranked challenger, who himself is fighting carson jones. also hatton vs van heerdon is arranged so effectively there are no top 10 rated challengers available. this is awful news for brook who has fought plenty of supposed eliminators for this shot.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down