The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather becoming a Leonard Mark 2 ?? - Time to retire!!.

+9
eddyfightfan
manos de piedra
AlexHuckerby
davidemore
mobilemaster8
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
13 posters

Go down

Mayweather becoming a Leonard Mark 2 ?? - Time to retire!!. Empty Mayweather becoming a Leonard Mark 2 ?? - Time to retire!!.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 10:36 am

Remember Leonard after Hagler........Always considering retirement and then handpicking....Lalonde, Old-Hearns. Old-Duran, Norris and Camacho when ever he felt like it!!

This is what Floyd is doing and It's becoming detrimental to the sport......Not as bad as two brothers taking the p*** out of the greatest prize in sports though..

Doesn't look good when an old part-timer just comes back at will and slaps out Boxing's best and whilst I have huge admiration for Floyd perhaps a slap would do him good in more ways than one...

He's top 10 ATG for me, he can't improve his great legacy against anyone and a la Leonard is going to end up being handed a beating off a Norris type when father-time comes and it will....

Come on Floydy quit while you are way ahead...I don't want to see an ordinary Bradley/Khan type take you out.......

Leave Boxing alone now..

You don't need to prove anything..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Mayweather becoming a Leonard Mark 2 ?? - Time to retire!!. Empty Re: Mayweather becoming a Leonard Mark 2 ?? - Time to retire!!.

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 11:15 am

Agree with a lot of what you say Truss, including the overall sentiment.

Though I do think he could cement his legacy a little further with the 'right' fights. Devon 'PJ&Duncan My Eyyyyyyes My Eyyyyyes' Alexander is not one of those fights. Neither was Ortiz or a fat JMM when ignoring the weight stip.

But imagine him taking on a genuinely big 154 lb Mexican on Cinco de Mayo - Saul Alvarez?

Now I fully appreciate if he won (which I think he would) us boxing fans will try label the Ginger Mexican a hype job etc etc but in all honesty he's young, strong, skilled, divisional #1. About the only more credible/impressive a fight out there would be Martinez.

Either of those two would add, anything else just detracts.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Mayweather becoming a Leonard Mark 2 ?? - Time to retire!!. Empty Re: Mayweather becoming a Leonard Mark 2 ?? - Time to retire!!.

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 11:20 am

I'm not sure I'd be quite as damning of Floy'ds career just yet, Truss.

Is he cherry picking, or is he just so good that any opponent he picks will come with the same old 'hand picked', 'blown up' or 'not good enough' jeers?

Alexander in May isn't a mouth-watering prospect, granted, but nor is it a joke fight. Besides, all would be forgiven if he managed a fight against Guerrero, Garcia or Alvarez later on in 2013, wouldn't it?

At the end of the day Floyd's still the biggest name in the game and is still, in the eyes of many, the best fighter out there (I'm not quite as sure anymore, but he'd be right near the top in any case). Given his lavish lifestyle I imagine there's a chance he may still need / want the big pay day here and there as much as anyone else, and it's hard to be critical of a man who, although he only dips his toes in to the sport once a year, does so against younger, hungry challengers, none of whom are patsies.

You're definitely right on one thing, though; that defeat will come sooner or later if this pattern continues. Wouldn't harm his legacy apart from in the eyes of the ol' 'Pactards', but it would be a huge blow to Floyd's ego.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 06 Feb 2013, 11:21 am

Martinez and Canelo can still add alot to his legacy and while Martienz won't happen Canelo is pretty much rotor for September provding they win their respective bouts

Floyd has never really impressed at LMW (ran close by DLH and Cotto) and Alvarez is the next Mexican sensation and deposited his padded record is a huge name and has barely lost a round throught his 40 odd fight career

Guerrero (and Braldey) just pads his record of dominating good but not great fighters despite ageing but Alexander adds nothing as would a khan or Garcia or Marquez

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 12:41 pm

I just don't like the idea of a guy picking and choosing his next mark..

Just like he's playing with Boxing.....

I don't think Canelo or anyone apart from Manny helps his great legacy....

and Manny is a busted flush now..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:08 pm

To be honest Mayweather can probably do what he likes in boxing because he has been at the top and has been now for over 10 years.

If fighting Alexander (An IBF world champ) who is 25 years old and has 1 blemish on his record out of 25 fights and has had 5 World Title Fights against the likes of Bradley (who beat Pacquiao), Juan Urango, Kotlenik, Mathyssee and Maidana.

What do you want Mayweather to do? Jump weight and fight a 39 year old Martinez?

Fight an overhyped Mexican in Alvarez?

Box Pacquiaos head off?

At least he is fighting young champions coming into their prime. He has been touted to fight Guerrero as well who is a Multi weight world champion!!

Mayweather can not win in boxing, Never has and never will.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:13 pm

No I want him to retire........

Like Leonard he picks and chooses his foe and like Leonard it's something someone can do when bigger than the Sport..

I don't like sportsmen being bigger than the sport..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:28 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:To be honest Mayweather can probably do what he likes in boxing because he has been at the top and has been now for over 10 years.

If fighting Alexander (An IBF world champ) who is 25 years old and has 1 blemish on his record out of 25 fights and has had 5 World Title Fights against the likes of Bradley (who beat Pacquiao), Juan Urango, Kotlenik, Mathyssee and Maidana.

Well that's one very generous way to dress it up.

Beat a fring-world level fighter for his IBF, quit against Bradley (who benefited from a huge screw-job v Manny), beat a gate-keeper in Urango, got beat but screwed Kotelnik & Mathyssee and beat a fat bloated Maidana fighting above his natural division.

A fight against someone actually bigger than him for once that is either a divisional #1 (Alvarez) or p4p Top 10 (Martinez) would be more credible than this rubbish.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:31 pm

Considering Mayweather was a super-feather..........Hard to know who is bigger than him.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:46 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:To be honest Mayweather can probably do what he likes in boxing because he has been at the top and has been now for over 10 years.

Beat a fring-world level fighter for his IBF, quit against Bradley (who benefited from a huge screw-job v Manny), beat a gate-keeper in Urango, got beat but screwed Kotelnik & Mathyssee and beat a fat bloated Maidana fighting above his natural division.

A fight against someone actually bigger than him for once that is either a divisional #1 (Alvarez) or p4p Top 10 (Martinez) would be more credible than this rubbish.

But again you could say that Alvarez is no better. Yes he is above Mayweathers weight, but he has fought who sorry? Matthew Hatton, Josesito Lopez, Mosley (After Pac/Mayweather), Alfonso Gomez??? He is a hype job who has been gifted a title. He has not fought ANY big name in their prime.

Alexander indeed lost against Bradley, but he still fought him. Maidana may have stepped up in weight, byut he was still dominated.

I agree he robbed Mathyssee and Kotelknik, but the names on Devons record, IMO, are better that the tripe Alvarez has fought!

When you say "fight above his weight against number 1 or p4p top 10".....he fought Oscar De La Hoya when he was still a p4p top 10. He also fought Cotto at LMW who was indeed the WBA champ and top of that weight.

Its not like he stepped up and fought Sergio Mora for christs sake.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

Nobody will be happy with Mayweather until he steps up and bangs out someone like Carl Froch or Klitshcko.

The guy, as i said, cant win.

What if he went on to beat Alvarez and then Martinez? People will say Alvarez had a padded record and was too green and that Martinez was past his prime and hitting 40!

Mayweather has consistantly fought top names in the sport. Year on Year.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Considering Mayweather was a super-feather..........Hard to know who is bigger than him.....

And when he popped out his mother's fanny he weighed only a few pounds. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm

"What point are you trying to make"..

Pretty obvious really as he was a superfeather/lightweight who's to say he isn't giving away weight advantages now???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:03 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

But again you could say that Alvarez is no better. Yes he is above Mayweathers weight, but he has fought who sorry? Matthew Hatton, Josesito Lopez, Mosley (After Pac/Mayweather), Alfonso Gomez??? He is a hype job who has been gifted a title. He has not fought ANY big name in their prime.

Alexander indeed lost against Bradley, but he still fought him. Maidana may have stepped up in weight, byut he was still dominated.

I agree he robbed Mathyssee and Kotelknik, but the names on Devons record, IMO, are better that the tripe Alvarez has fought!

When you say "fight above his weight against number 1 or p4p top 10".....he fought Oscar De La Hoya when he was still a p4p top 10. He also fought Cotto at LMW who was indeed the WBA champ and top of that weight.

Its not like he stepped up and fought Sergio Mora for christs sake.

What good are names if all you do is lose to them (esp. when 1 loss was a quit-job)? 3 best names = 3 losses. 2 best wins were a gatekeeper and a guy outside his weight. The only reasonable explanation for this fight is Floyd has bigger plans in the autumn so this is just keeping him active.

Not denying ODLH was an excellent (tho slightly close) win, but he wasn’t a career 154lber just a guy spinning some big money purses before retiring. Cotto (also an excellent win tho Floyd was pushed close) is/was similar, a guy that’s grown out of his natural weight and at the tail-end of his career. His win at 154 pales in comparison to Pac’s destruction at Cotto’s natural weight for example.

Don’t get me wrong, still think Floyd beats basically everyone. But if we we’re talking adding to legacy, as opposed to good money for sparring, Alvarez/Martinez do a lot more than little Devon.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:06 pm

"Just a guy spinning some big money purses"

How patronising is that....

He was good looking, talented and intelligent and appealed across the board..

With sponsorship and advertising deals ...do you really think Purses was his main goal at the end!!

You're putting him down...

He earned more out of the ring..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:06 pm

Agree with that his legacy will be added to by beating Martinez.

Not too sure on Alvarez though. Until Saul fights some quailty operators ill be undecided.

Martinez for Legacy and Alvarez for money would be the way I see it.

Devon does indeed have nothing to offer, but he a young world champion with lots to prove.

Easy win for Mayweather, but nowadays, there is no body out there for him apart from a 39 year old Martinez and an over-rated Alvarez.

Who would you like to see him in with apart from the 2 common names we are discussing?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"What point are you trying to make"..

Pretty obvious really as he was a superfeather/lightweight who's to say he isn't giving away weight advantages now???

Yes, he started at SFW, but people do grow. Since ODLH he's been the same size or bigger than most of his opponents. Apart from Cotto he hasn't stepped in with someone threateningly larger.

I'm not saying he should/has to. I'm just saying that he is so exceptionally gifted and in a different league to any other boxer out there that if he wants to take on a fight that looks genuinely challenging and may add something to his legacy then he needs to be looking up not sideways or down. If all he wants to do is pick-up pay-cheques then fairplay to the guy.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:10 pm

Martinez for legacy.......

Why????....Martinez is much bigger than super-feather Mayweather...130-160 pounds..

Be like asking Leonard to beat Michael Spinks back in the day..........

Suicide...and unnecessary

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"Just a guy spinning some big money purses"

How patronising is that....

He was good looking, talented and intelligent and appealed across the board..

Not trying to deny or detract from any of that. I'm saying he used all that like the sensible intelligent businessman he was (as well as a genuinely top level boxer) to generate some huge money fights to bow out on (but basically losing them all).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:12 pm

You were implying that was his main objective......

I'm implying that someone of his standing with millions in endorsements wanted to test himself against the best which he did..

Money was an added bonus.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:13 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Martinez for legacy.......

Why????....Martinez is much bigger than super-feather Mayweather...130-160 pounds..

Be like asking Leonard to beat Michael Spinks back in the day..........

Suicide...and unnecessary

Why do you keep referring to Mayweather as a SFW?????????? He hasn't fought at 135 or below for the best part of a decade?!?!

He is where he is now. That's what's relevant. Fighting guys the same size (or smaller than him) NOW is fine, but doesn't add anything. The Devons and Ortiz's of this world are just well paid sparring sessions for someone of Floyd's gift.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:15 pm

But that's where he had his initial success...people refer to Leonard as an ex welterweight..and Duran as a lightweight!!

Especially before Hagler..

Why should Floyd be different.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

Top Hat, id also say that Victor Ortiz was a bigger man then Mayweather with a powerful dig.

The guy comes in on fight night like a Middleweight! The size difference in the fight was huge!

Cotto and Ortiz were his last 2 fights and they were both a lot bigger.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:19 pm

Absolutely.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:36 pm

I LIKE THIS POST AND THREAD!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:51 pm

Floyd is an incredibly small 154lber supposedly unofficially he was weighing 149lbs against Cotto, I really wouldn't blame him for not wanting Martinez who is a very good operator who could outweigh him by about 30lbs on the night is almost unreasonable to be fair.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

Alvarez is definately a worthy fight I think. Who knows how he will turn out? Mayweather could beat him and Alvarez could go on and become a top pound for pound fighter anyway making it a great win in hindsight. Or he could go as some predict to be a chinny ginger hype job.

I would think at this stage its reasonably safe to safe Alexander wont be anything more than a decent fighter who wont offer Mayweather much so I think its a poor fight. There are 4/5 more challenging fights out there within reason for Mayweather.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:03 pm

bradley, guerrero or a undeafted LMW like trout or rabcheko (or alveraz) would all be great fights for floyd and offer a much greater challenge than alexander, who is a poorer less tough version of floyd. i'd actually back bradley to beat floyd at this point in time, and gurrero might have a shout too.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:42 pm

Bradley gets no where near Mayweather, he's just not good enough to beat him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:59 pm

Why should he retire if he enjoys it , he's making huge money and barely getting hit. If he retired now he might come back in 5 years and that would be sad.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:07 pm

Fathertime comes eventually..why risk having your retirement spoiled when you don't need the dough..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:14 pm

Again, because he clearly enjoys it. He'll be a long time retired and without the buzz from fighting and training who knows he could go completely off the rails. The guy has taken less punches in his career than Froch takes in his average fight, if he picks smart fights which he will I can't see him getting too beaten up for a while.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:16 pm

The older you are the quicker the decline...

It's a dangerous game best to remember that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:23 pm

So every fighter over 35 should retire ? He's the best one out there and least in need of retirement physically, why should he go is a better question.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:27 pm

You see like you did on the gay marriage thread you're twisting my words...

Every fighter who's over 35..has tons of money..and can't expand on an already wonderful legacy by handpicking opponents... should yes..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

Well if you'd just said that in the first place ...
At the end of the day he knows the risks and he enjoys his job. I don't really see the problem for him , hopefully when real signs if decline are apparent he'll realise and step down, but I don't think that needs to be now.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

I did say it....this is my thread....Try reading it..

You just seem to jump in all the time whether it's on this thread or any others you post on....

You're stubborn too.......which I like!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:37 pm

Life's too short too read every post Truss...especially yours Smile

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:52 pm

Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:44 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Bradley gets no where near Mayweather, he's just not good enough to beat him.

Absolutely this. There seems to be a growing Bradley fan club on here, I have never seen anything in him to suggest that he is anything other than a competent world level operator. And he fights about as frequently as Floyd does, for reasons that are not clear to me.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Champagne_Socialist Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:58 am

Brook would beat mayweather

Champagne_Socialist

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:56 am

victorgarco wrote:Brook would beat mayweather

Maybe with a baseball bat. Maybe.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Champagne_Socialist Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:34 am

joeyjojo618 wrote:
victorgarco wrote:Brook would beat mayweather

Maybe with a baseball bat. Maybe.

haha I was joking.

Champagne_Socialist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down