The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final eliminator signed for shot at Wlad Klitschko

+5
Il Gialloblu
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
9 posters

Go down

Final eliminator signed for shot at Wlad Klitschko Empty Final eliminator signed for shot at Wlad Klitschko

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 pm

OK, slightly disingenuous of me as it's not really a final eliminator for anything, but All Black rugby player Sonny Bill Williams steps into the ring with former Lewis and Tyson victim, Frans Botha, on Friday night.

Yep, that Sonny Bill Williams, the one with 5 fights who beat an American to win the New Zealand heavyweight title.

Now, Sonny Bill is one of the most naturally gifted rugby players I have ever seen, but having watched a couple of his pugilistic efforts, the same can't be said for his boxing. Botha is long past his best, but has shed 10kgs for the fight whereas Sonny Bill has had less than 2 months to get prepared.

Should this really be happening? Botha, even a old and past it Botha, could do some serious damage to Williams, couldn't he?

Spoiler:

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Final eliminator signed for shot at Wlad Klitschko Empty Re: Final eliminator signed for shot at Wlad Klitschko

Post by seanmichaels Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Probably spent his Toulon contract already.

Awfully good looking chap is Sonny Bill. Wonder if he has his boat insured?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Final eliminator signed for shot at Wlad Klitschko Empty Re: Final eliminator signed for shot at Wlad Klitschko

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:29 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

Awfully good looking chap is Sonny Bill. Wonder if he has his boat insured?

In a non-Huckerby way, I agree with you Seany. Rich, athletic, good-looking and famous.

He reminds me of myself in so many ways.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:30 pm

The worrying thing is, Botha is 85 now, and fatter than me. Yet I still have a serious worry that SBW will get the boxing equivalent of a spear tackle in this fight.

Botha always had half-decent skills and a fair thump on him but was never quite top drawer. Still has some good names on his record and is likely to test SBW if he lands. SBW has speed on his side. And not much else...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Didn't think they had eliminators these days...

I mean Mormeck a fat 40 year old cruiserweight gets a shot...

Why bother...Give Wlad's postman a shot..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:The worrying thing is, Botha is 85 now, and fatter than me.

Laugh

Yes, unless Sonny Bill is going to get all Willie Pep on Botha and stay away from him, I can see him really taking some pain here. Botha may well be old and fat, but this is a 5 fight novice rugby player he is meeting, not some up and comer with an extensive amateur background.

Williams got smacked in the mouth at a press-conference before one of his fights and his legs dipped. If Botha lands on him, it could get ugly.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 pm

I can tell from the torrent of hits and posts on this thread that it really piqued everyones interest so here is an update.

Sonny Bill Williams is the new WBA International Heavyweight Champion via unanimous decision over Frans 'White Buffalo' Botha.

By all accounts he danced around his old and fat opponent landing some decent jabs and straight right hands. Botha almost knocked him out with 90 seconds to go but Williams held on to win by scores of 97-91 twice and 98-94.

So a 5 fight rugby player novice takes out former World Title challenger with ease. Who said the heavyweight division was bad these days.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks for posting the result Tino. I might not have looked it up otherwise but interesting to know how it went. OK

Maybe get more puns in next time. puns = posts
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:58 pm

Ha! "Takes out"??!!! That would mean he KO'd him in my book. Which clearly was never going to happen seeing as Botha tends not to go down too easily and weighs the same as a bungalow. That said, I've just checked - 254lbs is quite light for him recently...

Still, I would pay good money to watch SBW fail, and badly...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Oh, and according to Fightnews.com, the fight was mysteriously changed to 10 instead of 12 rounds just before the start.

Methinks someone was worried they wouldn't last the distance...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 pm

It also seems that sometime Australian Rugby fly-half and part-time burglar Quade Cooper has had his first fight at cruiserweight on the same card, a 1-round demolition of a no-hoper. I don't think that Lebedev & Huck should be getting the shivers...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:52 pm

Suppose you haven’t heard about the controversy!

This was meant to be a 12 round fight, the announcer said it was a 12 rounder, boxrec did have it as a 12 rounder, bookmakers had it as a 12 rounder and SBW even stated in a interview that he can see Botha doing the 12 rounds easy.

SBW is hurt in round 9 and the ref then announces that the 10th will be the last round. SBW is out on his feet in this round and probs wouldn't have lasted another 10 seconds in round 11

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:55 pm

That sounds decidedly dodgy, Soldier.

But having said that, if Botha can't take out a 5 fight novice in less than 10 rounds he got what he deserved anyway.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:58 pm

Probably on PED's
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:00 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:Probably on PED's

Who? Sonny Bill? Big Fat Botha or Soldier_Of_Fortune?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:06 am

You
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:09 am

I wish.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:14 am

True, but being fair to Botha he is around 46? He was always going to get outworked by the younger man early in the fight.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:20 am

Just read this about Quade Cooper on the undercard:

Power-punching Wallabies five-eighth Quade Cooper made a spectacular professional boxing debut by dropping Brisbane insurance agent Barry Dunnett in the first round of their cruiserweight bout.

Car crash assessor Dunnett (1-2 record) said ahead of his bout with Cooper that he wanted to step up for all frustrated pro fighters and end the "annoying" habit of code hoppers like the Queensland Reds playmaker switching to boxing.

What did they expect? Rugby player vs Insurance agent?

Nice that he's 'stepping up for pro fighters' though, in between being an insurance agent.

Wonder what he made of the Williams fight too. Being a car crash assessor seems somehow apt given how that panned out.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:27 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:

Wonder what he made of the Williams fight too. Being a car crash assessor seems somehow apt given how that panned out.

There was a great quote on the live feed I was watching. 5 fight novice Williams has been in front the entire fight, Fatty Bum Bum Botha comes storming back to win the last two rounds, particularly the 10th in which he nearly KO's Sonny Bill, and then someone pipes up with "shows that Botha has still got it".

I'd like to think he was being ironic but I am not so sure.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 am

Pity Freddy has retired. They could have had a tear up

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:32 am

Williams is average, but he would crush Freddie, that is for sure!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:27 am

Just read all about it on boxingscene - apparently it was a complete farce.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down