The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IBF: Fight Brook, Or Lose Your Belt!

5 posters

Go down

IBF: Fight Brook, Or Lose Your Belt! Empty IBF: Fight Brook, Or Lose Your Belt!

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:40 pm

Devon Alexander will be forced to fight Kell Brook or relinquish his world title, Sportsmail can reveal.
The 25-year-old was due to face Brook on February 23 in Detroit but pulled out on Monday after injuring his biceps.
Floyd Mayweather Jnr then tweeted that he was close to agreeing a unification fight with Alexander for the IBF and WBC welterweight titles in Las Vegas on May 4.
But the IBF has confirmed that Alexander will not be allowed to sidestep Brook without giving up
his belt.
Under the organisation’s rules, the champion can normally apply for an exemption from fighting his mandatory challenger, as super middleweight Carl Froch has done in order to fight Mikkel Kessler.
But because Alexander has signed a contract to fight Sheffield-born Brook, that option is no longer open to him.
The IBF also confirmed that they have not been approached by the Mayweather camp.
Mayweather, who is unbeaten in 43 bouts, had been expected to face either Robert Guerrero or Saul Alvarez on Cinco de Mayo.
If Alexander does give up his belt, Brook would likely fight for the vacant title.
His clash with Alexander was originally due to take place on January 19 but an ankle injury forced the Sheffield star to request a delay.
The 26-year-old admitted he was ‘gutted’ after the American pulled out but later vowed: ‘I have been in camp for 12 weeks, I want to do damage. Alexander, a vacant belt or even Mayweather I don’t care!’
Brook’s promoter Eddie Hearn insisted he will do everything he can to ensure his fighter gets his
title shot.
'I will make sure we fight tooth and nail to get justice for Kell and if that means putting pressure on to get Alexander to vacate the title, or more likely Golden Boy to come back this week and give us a new date, which I think is the likely scenario, then we will see what happens.
'I won't have Kell messed around. He's away, making huge sacrifices away from his family to prepare for the fight of his life.
'I think if I was a gambler, I'd say it will go ahead. The whole thing seems a little bit cheesy to me and a little bit fishy from the Mayweather camp.
'But things change every time you go to sleep in boxing, it's like a constant chess match and we have to make sure we have our pawns in the right position and make sure we're ready to go when we get the news.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2274487/Kell-Brook-v-Devon-Alexander-happen--IBF.html#ixzz2KFg0H5at

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2274487/Kell-Brook-v-Devon-Alexander-happen--IBF.html#ixzz2KFfrd4fM

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2274487/Kell-Brook-v-Devon-Alexander-happen--IBF.html#ixzz2KFff5wiF

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2274487/Kell-Brook-v-Devon-Alexander-happen--IBF.html#ixzz2KFfX7uZW

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

IBF: Fight Brook, Or Lose Your Belt! Empty Re: IBF: Fight Brook, Or Lose Your Belt!

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:42 pm

Um, didn't mean to copy all those read more's, the fight may be off, but theres a chance that Brook gets to fight for a vacant strap?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

IBF: Fight Brook, Or Lose Your Belt! Empty Re: IBF: Fight Brook, Or Lose Your Belt!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:43 pm

Oh no he'll lose an alphabet belt he can make $250,000 a defence with....

and get $2million plus for one fight instead.....

Hard decision....useless belt or big bucks...

If Brook wins a vacant belt...let's see who he defends it against..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:46 pm

Interview with Hearn just on Ringside. Says that he's found out that apparently the PBF business was just smoke-screening by Floyd's camp and Guerrero is the real fight for Cinco de Mayo. And that either way IBF are backing Brook and are saying the contract must be honoured or Brook will fight for the vacant title.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:46 pm

Alexander won't get a fight with Floyd, this is the same guy that sold 339 tickets for his fight with Bradley? No chance.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:47 pm

IBF will back whoever can get the sanction fee higher for their defences...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:48 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Interview with Hearn just on Ringside. Says that he's found out that apparently the PBF business was just smoke-screening by Floyd's camp and Guerrero is the real fight for Cinco de Mayo. And that either way IBF are backing Brook and are saying the contract must be honoured or Brook will fight for the vacant title.

Yup, that to me was pretty obvious, at the very least the IBF are showing some credibility.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:49 pm

Mayweather would fill more seats and so get more revenue money soit works out well for Floyd.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:50 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:IBF will back whoever can get the sanction fee higher for their defences...

That much is also true, if the PBF Alexander fight did come off, which it won't, then the IBF would keep Alexander champion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:51 pm

Mayweather sells regardless of opponent......So few big Boxers now that big money and PPv is assured...

Big fight regardless of foe.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:52 pm

I can't see Floyd fighting Alexander.

There's a great deal of sense in Truss's recent thread about Floyd being bigger than the sport and picking his fighters, but he's a money orientated guy and he knows that Alexander brings the square root of zero to the table.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:53 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Mayweather would fill more seats and so get more revenue money soit works out well for Floyd.

He paid Ortiz $5M and took the rest but a fight against Devon wouldn't be as big, give him $2M and he won't make as much as normal because is a near no hoper who can't sell, at least Ortiz had the looks, backstory, FOTY's and Mexican thing, Alexander just has a bad 'tache and whistles when he speaks.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:55 pm

You not think a smart guy like Floyd instead of thinking about the gross...

Thinks of the risk/reward ratio...................

Very big payday vs chaff is better than

Huge payday vs Man with pulse..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:56 pm

Alex, you make him sound like Herbert the pervert from Family Guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You not think a smart guy like Floyd instead of thinking about the gross...

Thinks of the risk/reward ratio...................

Very big payday vs chaff is better than

Huge payday vs Man with pulse..

Truss, if he fights Alexander, I will come to Didsbury, strip naked and take away your wife so you can live happy.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:59 pm

I do think that Truss, but Floyd also knows that there does have to be an element of risk/glamour to generate the big payday and I don't think even he or his team would see that in Alexander.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Mayweather would fill more seats and so get more revenue money soit works out well for Floyd.

He paid Ortiz $5M and took the rest but a fight against Devon wouldn't be as big, give him $2M and he won't make as much as normal because is a near no hoper who can't sell, at least Ortiz had the looks, backstory, FOTY's and Mexican thing, Alexander just has a bad 'tache and whistles when he speaks.

Haha brilliant, don't forget sounds like he is in a tennis match when he fights...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:22 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Haha brilliant, don't forget sounds like he is in a tennis match when he fights...

h, yeah his Southpaw reincarnation of Holyfield's triple jab - "PAH PAH PAH"

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down