The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez dumps WBC Diamond Belt and is willing to fight Ward at 168

+6
Jimmythebullet
School Project
Boxtthis
Seanusarrilius
BoxingFan88
Commander
10 posters

Go down

Martinez dumps WBC Diamond Belt and is willing to fight Ward at 168 Empty Martinez dumps WBC Diamond Belt and is willing to fight Ward at 168

Post by Commander Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:11 pm

In case it hasn't been reported on here, Martinez has relinquished his belt and says he is no longer a hostage of the WBC and HBO! In addition, according to Boxing News 24, he is willing to step up to 168 to face Ward (this would be perfect if he moved to Showtime too).

Brave moves by the fella but completely understandable given the WBC's about-turn decision allowing Chavez Jr to face Rubio.

Commander

Back to top Go down

Martinez dumps WBC Diamond Belt and is willing to fight Ward at 168 Empty Re: Martinez dumps WBC Diamond Belt and is willing to fight Ward at 168

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:51 pm

He wants to fight the best, shame most of the other champions aren't like him!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Martinez dumps WBC Diamond Belt and is willing to fight Ward at 168 Empty Re: Martinez dumps WBC Diamond Belt and is willing to fight Ward at 168

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Martinez wants a defining fight, he has had the big wins over williams and Pavlik, but still needs something else. Shame, if he was 5 years younger and a draw he could get whoever he wanted

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:57 am

I'll be very impressed with Martinez if he takes this fight

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:41 am

I heard he rid of the WBC belt and was making a statement against the WBC. Has he issued the statement yet?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:00 pm

School Project wrote:I heard he rid of the WBC belt and was making a statement against the WBC. Has he issued the statement yet?

Yes..

I'm not going to defend the Diamond belt anymore. The only title I'm going to defend from now on was the one I conquered after beating Kelly Pavlik, which is the Ring Magazine title...I won't ever defend the WBC again.

I hate the cowardness in which Julio Cesar Chavez behaves, as well as his coach Freddie Roach, his promoter Bob Arum, avoiding every day the fight with me and building a boxing world which is a lie...I never thought that a world champion could avoid somebody in this way. Unfortunately, this sort of attitude can hurt our sport," Martinez continued. "I won my belts in an honest way. I'm proud of having had them and having represented the WBC. For me, it's the organization for excellency in the world. It's the most important one, but I have to clarify that I'm not a hostage of the WBC. I'm grateful to the people of the WBC that always have supported and I know they will continue supporting me, but I must say, I'm a boxer of the WBC, not a hostage of the WBC that you can modify or move according to third party's interest. For my dignity, for my pride, and for my manhood, I must step aside.

What I'm doing today is giving a punch to the table in order for everybody to think about what's going on and to make a thought to it. I want everything to be without any lies. They are mistreating not only me, but also boxing.

Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:17 pm

Well said Martinez!

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:33 am

Can we not take his DNA and inject it in the all boxers. What a refreshing attitude to see in a sport full of overrated and undeserving individuals.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:07 pm

One of the most accurate statements in a long time by a fighter, great to see and further proof that Martinez genuinely wants to fight the best and generally believes in the philosophy of the best fighting each other. Though he distances himself from criticising the WBC, I can't help but think he must hold them at least a tad responsible, indeed they've become a shambles in recent years.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:35 am

Wow, you've got to love Martinez, you can't help it. Such a great guy.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:39 am

errrr what the hell happened to the WBC stating Chavez Jr MUST fight Maritinez? When did they announce he wouldnt be fighting Martinez? Boxing is becoming a bit of a joke to be fair.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:40 am

It was rather obvious that fight was never going to happen. Uncle Arum most certainly wouldn't have allowed it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:41 am

Uncle Arum is killing boxing. Fact.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down