The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward Stripped Of WBC Belt - Floyd Gets To Keep His

+7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
The Galveston Giant
Rowley
bellchees
manos de piedra
KC
Strongback
11 posters

Go down

Ward Stripped Of WBC Belt - Floyd Gets To Keep His Empty Ward Stripped Of WBC Belt - Floyd Gets To Keep His

Post by Strongback Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:42 pm

Andre Ward was stripped of his WBC belt as he had shoulder surgery and hasn't fought since September 2012.

Floyd on the other hand gets to keep his WBC strap even though he hasn't put that belt on the line since Sept 2011.

Along with their decision not to do unification bouts and their diamond belt baloney have the WBC now become the biggest joke organisation in boxing.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Ward Stripped Of WBC Belt - Floyd Gets To Keep His Empty Re: Ward Stripped Of WBC Belt - Floyd Gets To Keep His

Post by KC Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:26 am

If not THE biggest they're certainly a close second.

Ranked Amir Khan no.2 @ WW even though he's never fought at the weight Doh

There was an article last week in Boxing News with Sulaiman where he said they'd abolished interim titles because they're a farce, he then goes onto justify diamond belts!
Said the reason they don't want to have unification belts is because other organisations use officials whom they don't know, and they can't control who officiates!!!
He then went onto state that he had put forward a suggestion at a recent meeting of boxing organisations that there should be one world champion per weight, only thing is that WBC should have the champion & the other organisations could have the also rans - can't imagine why that was no accepted Rolling Eyes

KC

Back to top Go down

Ward Stripped Of WBC Belt - Floyd Gets To Keep His Empty Re: Ward Stripped Of WBC Belt - Floyd Gets To Keep His

Post by manos de piedra Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:27 am

They havent had any credibility in decades. The worse they get the better I hope it becomes because I look forward to the day when none of the sanctioning bodies hold any sway whatsoever.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:47 am

Easily the worst of the 4 for me which does take some doing seeing as the WBA have 2 champs in just about every weight class, the IBF allowed Peterson to keep his belt after testing positive and the WBO are the just a joke really.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 16 Apr 2013, 7:28 am

Up until recently the WBC was considered the best belt to own.

Ward has responded by saying the fighters make the belts more than the belts making the fighter.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 16 Apr 2013, 7:47 am

Strongback wrote:Up until recently the WBC was considered the best belt to own.

Ward has responded by saying the fighters make the belts more than the belts making the fighter.

The problem is you have to reach the level of Ward to be able to say that. He has proven his chops and has established himself at the man at supermiddle beyond any reasonable doubt and so in the eyes of fans will remain so irrespective of what belt he has round his waist until someone turns him over at the weight. Unfortunately for less established fighters they still need belts, it legitimises them in the eyes of fans and helps them at the negotiating table with promoters and TV companies. Dearly wish it was not so but is the unfortunate reality that allows the governing bodies to get away with their ongoing drivel and nonsense.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 16 Apr 2013, 8:51 am

Ward should be asking why he's been stripped and Floyd hasn't, be interesting to see their answer although we all know why.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 16 Apr 2013, 10:43 am

Floyd probably pays to keep the belt being the highest paying sportstar on the planet.

I cant see Ward being as filthy rich and paying unneccessary fees.

Everyone wants to fight Floyd, nobody wants to fight Ward.

So my theory is, release the belt, let contenders fight it out, then as Ward will probably be mandatory, champions will be forced to face him.

Thats about as much sense as I can build in regards to it.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:04 am

Ward is Champion in Recess so he gets first crack at the new champion. Your theory might not be far off the mark Dee.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

Its the only way I can see him getting fights mate, sort of like the Martinez situation with Chavez Jr.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:11 am

The WBC is still the most coveted belt...........If I was a fighter It's the one I'd want...

As Starling said "I always wanted the green belt"

All organisations have their idiosyncrasies .....

OP If honest....... is only upset when Haye or Mayweather are given a break!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:24 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

OP If honest....... is only upset when Haye or Mayweather are given a break!!

That was pretty contrived but it did make me laugh.

As a fighter Mayweather is a pleasure to watch and No.1 in his era, I just think he left too much in the tank and should have been more adventurous. The other guy is a toe rag of no significance in the history of boxing.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm

But you rate Joe Louis higher than Ali.............and he never beat anybody......

You're full of it!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm

WBC have become a joke the past few years, it was the most prestigious but now its just part of the 4.

The Ring belt is the only one I care about. The Ring champion is the man at the weight, doesn't matter if other people have 2 other belts, if they've done enough to be regarded as Ring Champion - then thats the best title in my eyes.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm

Still the most prestigious........More great fighters have held it...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:But you rate Joe Louis higher than Ali.............and he never beat anybody......

You're full of it!!

I rate Ali and Louis as joint 1st. If they fought in their primes it would be a pick em in my opinion.

As to being full of it I refer to your post history that is open for anyone to read if they want a good laugh.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:22 pm

More like pick Louis off the floor.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:23 pm

Look...........You moan about Floyd's opponents over a 13 year period as a way to mark him down........

Yet Ali beat Frazier.....Liston...Foreman....Shavers....Williams....Lyle and yet you have Louis level with him...!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm

Seriously?? Any need to still be going on about this on another thread picard
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Look...........You moan about Floyd's opponents over a 13 year period as a way to mark him down........

Yet Ali beat Frazier.....Liston...Foreman....Shavers....Williams....Lyle and yet you have Louis level with him...!!!!

Louis fought every fighter available and ducked nobody. Louis ruled forever and had a skill set that only Ali could compare to in the history of heavyweight boxing.

Lots of historians have trouble separating Louis from Ali. If you pick Ali as the greatest fair play, you never hear me running Ali down as he's my favourite fighter of all time. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate Louis for what he is. I know given your mindset you will find this concept very hard to understand.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:50 pm

Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Look...........You moan about Floyd's opponents over a 13 year period as a way to mark him down........

Louis fought every fighter available and ducked nobody. Louis ruled forever and had a skill set that only Ali could compare to in the history of heavyweight boxing.

Lots of historians have trouble separating Louis from Ali. If you pick Ali as the greatest fair play, you never hear me running Ali down as he's my favourite fighter of all time. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate Louis for what he is. I know given your mindset you will find this concept very hard to understand.

Ball/s. Holmes had better footwork and a far superior jab. Plus greater recuperative powers.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:27 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Everyone wants to fight watch Floyd, nobody wants to fight watch Ward.

Corrected for you. censored

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down