The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Haskell Yellow: What can players get away with?

+24
Toadfish
cakeordeath
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
jbeadlesbigrighthand
BigTrevsbigmac
markb
The Great Aukster
captain carrantuohil
TJ1
belovedfrosties
Seagultaf
Barney McGrew did it
Hood83
Cyril
LondonTiger
HammerofThunor
AlastairW
nathan
Biltong
Higher_Ground
tomhughesnice
maestegmafia
Alex_Germany
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Haskell Yellow: What can players get away with? Empty Haskell Yellow: What can players get away with?

Post by Alex_Germany Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:16 pm

Watching the game today (on French TV), I was shouting at the ref when he yellowed Haskell. Haskell's actions looked innocent, even on the replay - he was trying to get away.

I still think that, but Haskell has form. If he did kick the ball, it was skilfully done to fool me, and probably most England fans.

Would a more "innocent" player have got away with that? It's said McCaw gets away with a lot, but if someone without a reputation did that - say Cole or Wood, would they have been yellow carded?

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Haskell Yellow: What can players get away with? Empty Re: Haskell Yellow: What can players get away with?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:17 pm

He was kicking the ball while offside obstructing the Irish scrum half.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Haskell Yellow: What can players get away with? Empty Re: Haskell Yellow: What can players get away with?

Post by tomhughesnice Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:19 pm

Haskell kicked the ball and that was worth a penalty accidental or not. Then the referee backchat deserved a yellow card. This would have been the same outcome for any other player.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:23 pm

Like yesterday's referee Clancy, Garces had no idea at the breakdown or scrum.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:25 pm

Haha, I wouldn't have many mates left if I lashed out with my legs like that every time I was trying to stand up!
Honestly, I assume people who think it was an accident are playing Devil's extremely drunk advocate!
Fear for Healy to be honest, class player who seemed to lose the plot entirely today. Don't imagine he'll be playing against Scotland.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:28 pm

The manner in which Haskell tried to get away tells all.

His bottom leg is stuck under an irish player, hid first two attempts at getting away he pulls his leg towards his torso, the final attempt to move his leg (its free already) he kicks his foot forward.

Clear as daylight.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:29 pm

this is a strange one thats 50/50. The first angle looks like he did kick the ball away, but the second angle shows his foot was stuck under the behind of an irish player and under trying to force it out made his leg move forward.

Haskell does have brain farts now and again, but he normally admits it and walks off so i don't think he did do it on purpose.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:30 pm

Higher_Ground wrote:Haha, I wouldn't have many mates left if I lashed out with my legs like that every time I was trying to stand up!
Honestly, I assume people who think it was an accident are playing Devil's extremely drunk advocate!
Fear for Healy to be honest, class player who seemed to lose the plot entirely today. Don't imagine he'll be playing against Scotland.

Yes very surprising, he is not a dirty player. To be fair though I don't think there was an intent to injure just an intent to stop Cole from obstructing and slowing the ball.

If the ref had of actually penalised anyone obstructing quick ball at the breakdown once the incident would never have happened.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:39 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Higher_Ground wrote:Haha, I wouldn't have many mates left if I lashed out with my legs like that every time I was trying to stand up!

Yes very surprising, he is not a dirty player. To be fair though I don't think there was an intent to injure just an intent to stop Cole from obstructing and slowing the ball.

If the ref had of actually penalised anyone obstructing quick ball at the breakdown once the incident would never have happened.

eh? Best had the ball in his hands already. There was no need for Healy to come in at all.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:45 pm

nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

eh? Best had the ball in his hands already. There was no need for Healy to come in at all.

That is not true I advise you Watch again.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:48 pm

Haskell showed Yellow deservedly, watch the replay. That said though, the thug Healy left to play on. God awful reffing decisions there, which is a surprise with Owens there as a linesman as well. Cynical play and obstructions all over the place, at least one lineout not thrown straight.

Garces missed so many infringements today it was a joke.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:50 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

It was a collapsed maul. Best had the ball in his hands when it was a maul. When it drops he's still on his feet with the ball in his hands. He's standing over Cole. Not only that but the ref has already given a penalty.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

AlastairW wrote:Haskell showed Yellow deservedly, watch the replay. That said though, the thug Healy left to play on. God awful reffing decisions there, which is a surprise with Owens there as a linesman as well. Cynical play and obstructions all over the place, at least one lineout not thrown straight.

Here here...!

Though wouldn't call Healy a thug, his actions were very out of character.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:57 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
AlastairW wrote:Haskell showed Yellow deservedly, watch the replay. That said though, the thug Healy left to play on. God awful reffing decisions there, which is a surprise with Owens there as a linesman as well. Cynical play and obstructions all over the place, at least one lineout not thrown straight.

Here here...!

Though wouldn't call Healy a thug, his actions were very out of character.

His actions today were those of a thug, so today I shall label him a thug. They were on par than the AI Hoare incident, and if Cole ends up out of the 6N because of it, then it shall be worse - and I remember a lot of fans up in arms about that and rightfully so. Both incidents weren't evidence of 'tough men' in Rugby; it was thuggery. If you want behave like that, go start a pub brawl.

How Owens (who is renowned for consistency and good reffing) missed it as well as Garces justifies why a lot of fans are not happy with the standard of reffing out there.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:03 pm

Haskell deserved his YC. It did seem inconsistent that the Irishman penalised for pulling down the maul about 8m out (Best I think) was not carded.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

Haskell deserved his yellow for a bit of desperate stupidity. Fair enough.

Healy should be looking at a ban for that stamp. Plain vicious.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:39 pm

I disagree, i thought he moved it in exactly the same direction from the camera angle behind. However the side view looked like it could have been deliberate. Thought, given the position etc. that a card was harsh, but if backchat caused it he's an idiot and it's deserved.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:40 pm

Hood83 wrote:

I disagree, i thought he moved it in exactly the same direction from the camera angle behind. However the side view looked like it could have been deliberate. Thought, given the position etc. that a card was harsh, but if backchat caused it he's an idiot and it's deserved.

Sorry Higher Ground, i was actually trying to respond to Biltong's point, not sure how it responded to yours?! Anyway, Biltong, i disagree Very Happy

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:42 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Haskell deserved his YC. It did seem inconsistent that the Irishman penalised for pulling down the maul about 8m out (Best I think) was not carded.

Other than the Healy incident, that's my biggest gripe today LT. Reffing was so inconsistent it got painful to watch!

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:24 pm

Haskell is streetwise so probably did it deliberately. But it was hard for the ref to guess intent so perhaps a little harsh.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:28 pm

From a neutral point of view, I thought Haskell's yellow was deserved he was on the floor and played the ball, also England were giving away a lot of penalties at that stage in the game. Healy also deserved a card, England were getting away with a lot of killing of the ball and the ref was not dealing with it, that clearly frustrated the Irish, but what Healy did was dangerous and he deserved a card.

Will he get cited, impossible to tell, there is no consistency in this aspect of Rugby. At Cardiff Tipuric rucked the face of an Irish player, I dont think it was deliberate but certianly dangerous, I was sure he would be cited and banned but no action taken.

PS
Farrell was fortunate not to get carded also for his professional foul.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:29 pm

Watched the game with an irish mate, we both thought the Haskell incident was a very harsh decision. Then we saw the replay, laughed and said "definitely not" Haskell knew full well what he was doing and i have no problems with the call.

Healy was a mess in the first half though, pretty sure he had two goes at coles leg and could have caused some serious damage. He also went flying into a ruck with a swinging arm/possible closed fist and was generally acting like a little tw@

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:34 pm

I hate to see the deliberate cheating that both Haskell and Farrell did - it spoils the game. Both deserved a card as did Healy ( he could even have had 2)

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

If we were to follow the strict letter of the law, it would have been yellow for Farrell and red for Healy, whatever the provocation (and lying on the ball isn't much in that regard).

As for Haskell, clearly deserved the yellow card. I could understand him doing the crime, but the protests afterwards were a bit thespy for my taste. You know what you were up to - off you go for 10 minutes. Nice and easy.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:06 pm

No doubt Haskell deserved his card, but it was incredibly stupid of him to give the ref such an easy decision. England had infringed about 3-4 times in a row and the ref was looking for the first opportunity to card someone.

It's why Haskell will never quite fit in this England team. Generally the guys play a lot smarter than that. e.g. Robshaw is often on the wrong side, and puts hands in the ruck etc. but he does it cleverly and forces the ref to make a tough call. Haskell just made it too easy for Garces.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:13 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

It was a collapsed maul. Best had the ball in his hands when it was a maul. When it drops he's still on his feet with the ball in his hands. He's standing over Cole. Not only that but the ref has already given a penalty.

You can clearly see cole trying to stop the ball coming back. Then Healy stamps on Cole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXmUP02wXOk

It is out of character for Healy to take such an action. But to suggest Cole is not trying to obstruct while lying on the wrong side of the ruck, penalty was given for an England player collapsing the Ruck.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:56 am

I see the healy one as similar to the Adam thomson stamp on Strockoshs head in the AIs. What was that - a one week ban?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Mon 11 Feb 2013, 1:27 am

maestegmafia wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

You can clearly see cole trying to stop the ball coming back. Then Healy stamps on Cole

It is out of character for Healy to take such an action. But to suggest Cole is not trying to obstruct while lying on the wrong side of the ruck, penalty was given for an England player collapsing the Ruck.

What complete and utter nonsense, that ball was available to Murray anytime he wanted, he didn't give Cole the slightest bit of attention whilst he was taking the ball out of Best's hands and looking either side deciding which way to go.

And it was never a ruck, Ireland caught from their lineout and Best was in charge of the maul from the back, which Cole collapsed to give the penalty.

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:05 am

markb wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

What complete and utter nonsense, that ball was available to Murray anytime he wanted, he didn't give Cole the slightest bit of attention whilst he was taking the ball out of Best's hands and looking either side deciding which way to go.

And it was never a ruck, Ireland caught from their lineout and Best was in charge of the maul from the back, which Cole collapsed to give the penalty.

Spot on analysis. I still find it amazing the ref ignored the deliberate stamp. I admire Healy but he lost it twice in this game & if the same had happened to someone like Marler the board would be full of criticism no doubt?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:10 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
markb wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Spot on analysis. I still find it amazing the ref ignored the deliberate stamp. I admire Healy but he lost it twice in this game & if the same had happened to someone like Marler the board would be full of criticism no doubt?

You do see that type of play now and then, and often the referee doesn't repsond to it. could it be that he knows it will be cited? Or did he just not pay enough attention to it?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:15 am

Biltong wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
markb wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

You do see that type of play now and then, and often the referee doesn't repsond to it. could it be that he knows it will be cited? Or did he just not pay enough attention to it?

If the ref saw it Biltong there is no excuse not to act surely? (min yellow). The ball was nowhere near & Healy was looking down to where his feet were going. Clearly most of the England team saw it!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:23 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
Biltong wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
markb wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

If the ref saw it Biltong there is no excuse not to act surely? (min yellow). The ball was nowhere near & Healy was looking down to where his feet were going. Clearly most of the England team saw it!
I agree with you, but I am trying to think of reasons why he didn't.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:56 am

Surprised that people are even debating the Healy incident. It's a stamp on the ankle after the ball has gone. He has to be cited for that. Talking about the late-ness of the incident, if you watch the replay O'Mahony comes in even later to run his studs down Cole's back. Not so vicious, but he actually ran past Murray to get there as Murray was making the break.

As for Haskell, yellow was fair. He made a good fist of making it look like he was getting out the way, but the kick was deliberate.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:03 am

jbeadle / others - have you actually looked at the replays? Murray is trying to get the ball out from behind Coles legs as Healy runs up - gets his hands on it just before Healy arrives but Cole is still trying to block the ball as Healy stamps on his leg - which is when the ball finally comes out

Its not a red card offense is it? Its a yellow most likely I would have said. Its not a deliberate attempt to maim.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:07 am

Haskell's card was the result of 3 pens against England in a short period of time. He was a little unlucky.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:10 am

Watxhing that video two things are clear.

1. The ball is in the scrum halfs hands and Cole isn't on it.

2. Healy is a dirty thug but then to cap it off ANOTHER Irish player comes in and has a stamp on Cole as well!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:11 am

Cole was on the wrong side making no real effort to get away. Clear penalty.

Healy who had already lost his rag comes in and stamps hard on the ankle which is well away from the ball. He is not trying to clear the ball, which was by Coles head, he is (probably) trying to hurt the player illegally.

It seems TJ, that you are suggesting that you can do whatever you want to a player slowing down the ball?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:12 am

TJ wrote:jbeadle / others - have you actually looked at the replays? Murray is trying to get the ball out from behind Coles legs as Healy runs up - gets his hands on it just before Healy arrives but Cole is still trying to block the ball as Healy stamps on his leg - which is when the ball finally comes out

Its not a red card offense is it? Its a yellow most likely I would have said. Its not a deliberate attempt to maim.

I watched it again just before posting. Cole's legs are under the ball, not in Murray's way at all. He was certainly moving them a bit, perhaps trying to catch the ball with his knee, but he wasn't blocking it. Cole wasn't innocent, and probably deserved attention, particularly after bringing the maul down. The stamp on the ankle when the scrum half has the ball though - especially on his opposite number - is never going to look good.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:12 am

Yappy,

I think you are over-reacting there. Healy made a mistake - and was too fired up. It was not however the cold and calculated offence that we have seen by somne players in the last 12 months.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:13 am

LondonTiger wrote:Cole was on the wrong side making no real effort to get away. Clear penalty.

Healy who had already lost his rag comes in and stamps hard on the ankle which is well away from the ball. He is not trying to clear the ball, which was by Coles head, he is (probably) trying to hurt the player illegally.

It seems TJ, that you are suggesting that you can do whatever you want to a player slowing down the ball?

When he's English apparently that's the case.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:14 am

PS I have no issue with O;Mahoney's actions. A little late but he is rather gently sweeping backwards in a more rucking style action.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:17 am

LondonTiger wrote:Yappy,

I think you are over-reacting there. Healy made a mistake - and was too fired up. It was not however the cold and calculated offence that we have seen by somne players in the last 12 months.

You see I think it was calculated, he's looking at the player as he runs in, makes no effort to clear any one out and stamps on him twice. If this was an AB stamping on a home nations player we wouldn't be making excuses for him, I don't see why its different here.

The punches though were most likely a total brain fart

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:29 am

Cole knows exactly what he is doing and he lift his leg to try and block the ball coming back. This is why Healy has his brain fart and stamps on Cole's ankle. I agree with LondonTiger that the Irish player who comes in after is just rucking, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Cole deserved a bit of old fashioned rucking, but he didn't deserve what Healy dished out. I think a 3-4 week ban. Give Cian some time to think about his behaviour yesterday.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:52 am

I am amazed to read posters suggesting Cole was not obstructing. He is on the wrong side of the ruck.

What Healy did us wrong, but as he is not a dirty player, has no reputation for violent behaviour he is unlikely to get a big ban. A week or two is sufficient.

It doesn't look like Healy intended to hurt Cole and it doesn't look like Cole was hurt at all as a result. He played on regardless.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Mon 11 Feb 2013, 9:03 am

maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Suggest it's you who needs to watch the video again. Only a blind man can not see from these highlights the ball was in Irish hands before the stamp was delivered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZB2DKqQnB0

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 9:53 am

yappysnap wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Cole was on the wrong side making no real effort to get away. Clear penalty.

When he's English apparently that's the case.

No - Its a penalty for careless or dangerous use of the boot. Yellow card more than a possibility. Straight red? Not sure at all. Premeditated attempt to injure as some are claiming - no. So worth a citing? Maybe and maybe a short ban. Look at recent precedent - Thomson on Strockosh in the AIs. which got a deserved short ban

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 9:55 am

Toadfish wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Suggest it's you who needs to watch the video again. Only a blind man can not see from these highlights the ball was in Irish hands before the stamp was delivered:

However if Cole had not been deliberately getting in the way the SH could have got the ball out quicker

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:09 am

I'm not of the opinion that Healy should be hung out to dry, but he should be cited and he should be banned for a few weeks/games.

It wasn't 'careless', he knew what he was doing. It may have been just a moment of madness and I don't think he intended serious injury, but that's not really a defence.

Cole didn't make a big meal of it but again, that's not really a mitigating factor.

I wouldn't have thought it would affect Healy's Lions chances but I don't think he'll play again this 6Ns.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:10 am

Haskell deliberately kicked the ball – definite penalty, but given where the game was, probably no more. I’m sure he took the yellow for the team – England did give away too many penalties.

As for Healy – too many people being disingenuous here. It’s not the fact Healy was violent, it was the despicable nature of the violence. I think Cole brought the maul down and may have deserved some attention. I’m not adverse to a rake, a sly dig, a naughty forearm, a kick up the jacksy, etc. But every player knows an ankle stamp is calculated to cause maximum damage – it’s a well worn path. And Healy did it twice for good measure. I see Healy in absolutely the same light as Clarke. Get the guy off the pitch for a long time.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:20 am

TJ wrote:
Toadfish wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

However if Cole had not been deliberately getting in the way the SH could have got the ball out quicker

So it was blatant retaliation? You've slowed our ball down a fraction so I'm going to try and break your ankle. Nice.

By the way I'm not jumping on the 'ban him forever' bandwagon. Couple of weeks is probably more than enough. I just can't understand the justification some people are coming up with. If he'd raked his back I'd have no problem with it but what he attempted to do was just a very cheap shot.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next