The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six Nations: England v Ireland - Post Match Discussion

+38
tigerleghorn
Hood83
Triangulation
Cyril
nobbled
dummy_half
Comfort
SecretFly
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Rinsure
bluestonevedder
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
damage_13
beshocked
Standulstermen
fa0019
Biltong
Barney McGrew did it
yappysnap
mystiroakey
rodders
AlastairW
George Carlin
king_carlos
Cowshot
ChequeredJersey
Poorfour
lostinwales
stub
Notch
The Great Aukster
logie28
TJ1
majesticimperialman
captain carrantuohil
PJHolybloke
Irishhoneymonster
Pal Joey
42 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Six Nations: England v Ireland - Post Match Discussion - Page 3 Empty Six Nations: England v Ireland - Post Match Discussion

Post by Pal Joey Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

10 February 2013,
Lansdowne Road, Dublin

Ireland 6 - 12 England

Ireland:

Pens: O'Gara (44'. 57')

England:

Pens: Farrell (2', 28', 63', 65')

Half-time: 0 - 6

Attendance: 51,000

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Six Nations: England v Ireland - Post Match Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Six Nations: England v Ireland - Post Match Discussion

Post by rodders Mon 11 Feb 2013, 2:12 pm

Triangulation wrote:The masterclass was England 2003 - Wellington vs the ABs

We went down to 13 men for the best part of 10 minutes with Dayglo and Back i think yellow carded.

We went upfield with a series of forward drives.

We won that period 6-0 i believe.

Did Owen Farrell eat up 8 minutes with his penalty kick build up then too? Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Six Nations: England v Ireland - Post Match Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Six Nations: England v Ireland - Post Match Discussion

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 11 Feb 2013, 2:14 pm

rodders wrote:

We went down to 13 men for the best part of 10 minutes with Dayglo and Back i think yellow carded.

Ha that was cheeky. England's lazy lineout meeting ran down the time too!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon 11 Feb 2013, 2:16 pm

rodders wrote:

Hopefully yes.
The ABs ate up valuable time trying to get a pushover/penalty try vs our 6 man pack.
It didnt work.
Martin Johnson was asked what was going through his head at the time. He answered " my spine". Gold!

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 11 Feb 2013, 2:26 pm

Triangulation wrote:
Martin Johnson was asked what was going through his head at the time. He answered " my spine". Gold!

Aha! So there was a brain on the end of that spine afterall! The rumours have proved unfounded - drat!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 11 Feb 2013, 2:34 pm

Dallaglio has said that England had prepared for it with 11 against 15 sessions in training... But it's now actually quite common for teams to weather the sin bin period unscathed.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 11 Feb 2013, 2:37 pm

I think you should have a choice - on a coin toss - of playing a complete game with 14 or 15.

15 players can sometimes be one too many for lethargy's sake Wink No, you should have a chance to elect for 14 if you think it might give you an edge.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 11 Feb 2013, 2:45 pm

...especially if the 15th man is ROG censored

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 11 Feb 2013, 2:48 pm

ROG was the horseburger yes...but the rest of them weren't all guaranteed beef either.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon 11 Feb 2013, 3:27 pm

Healy cited, disciplinary panel on wednesday.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon 11 Feb 2013, 3:28 pm

Healy cited, disciplinary panel on wednesday.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 11 Feb 2013, 3:28 pm

He's fooked.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon 11 Feb 2013, 3:28 pm

Oops he's only been cited once (altho he did stamp twice)
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 3:36 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:There are so many things to say about that Irish performance but I don't know about you Rodders, I just cant be bothered to talk about it. Kidney doesn't learn from his mistakes tactically and in his selections. Just as we have lost to Wales on the previous three occasions we have demonstrated how easy we are to defend against. Get the defensive line up quickly and we will be too clueless to do anything. England played perfectly fine. They offered absolutely nothing in attack and still won the match. They didn't even really have to work that hard for it either. The score flattered us and England's victory was well deserved. I'm not sure how Robshaw won man of the match. He put in alot of work but I thought Parling was absolutely outstanding.

It is exactly the performance I envisaged. Kidney has castrated his players from using their brains in a match. You see Ulster and Leinster invariably being able to change tactics when the going gets tough to win matches they should have lost. Ireland have not done that once since 2010. I'm glad you picked up on D'Arcy Rodders because I was screaming at him there. Even though he has lost alot of his gas that was a gaping hole, and even if he had have been tackled he could have created an overlap and a chance for Gilroy and Kearney (I think) to break.

Other than that we'll let the usual crowd of provincial infighters do their usual on ROG (embarrassing and sad), Healy (thuggery), Heaslip (the most underperforming Irish players since the last Lions tour now captain), unbalanced backrow (expecting Healy and Best to do the breakdown work so three backrowers can carry the ball ineffectually- how badly do we miss David Wallace?), refusal to change centres when D'Arcy offers no creativity, etc, etc, etc.

The biggest thing though I noticed was the booing of Farrell when kicking. I hate it. Its footballesque behaviour. I was sitting with my dad and some of his friends watching the match and they were all talking before it about how at the height of the Troubles England came across the play Ireland in Dublin when Scotland and Wales refused. Most of us know about it- it was a brave and incredibly important gesture. Then to hear supposedly 'respectful' fans booing the English kicker shows absolutely no class.

I think it's comments like these that result in so many people having a soft spot for the Irish team and its fans. I hope it doesn't come across as massively patronising to say - nice one.

That said, the noise of your fans was also incredible, sounded an amazing atmosphere, I think it's worth dwelling on that as well. And as an Englishman I personally had no issue with the booing. I see lots of people don't like it but I ask myself - 'would England fans at Twickenham be any better' and the answer I think is a resounding no. They're also some of the most boorish, awful, mute fans around. IMO

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 4:05 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Poorfour wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Barney McGrew did it wrote:Watch the game again without the tension. I thought England were relatively comfortable (even when a man down, and later without a proper lock and an 'ankled' Cole, plus an unlucky bounce and hesitant Manu) and played as much as was necessary. When England 2003 or SA 2007 (final) played like that it was called smart controlled rugby. They did enough.

I have no problem with the style, but this was no England c. 2003 performance....thats my point.
Those teams dominated scrums lineouts and mauls and had forwards taking the ball...forward. They also had backs capable of hurting any opposition when given the chance. This England side...didnt.

They got away with a win here in a style of game that doesnt show their best. Its no disgrace to not be a perfect side or attain the standards of the golden age, Im just a bit bemused to find people sucked into thinking this was some kind of super human performance simply because other (heavily slated) England sides have lost against better opposition in similar circumstances.

I dont see anything that England did in this game we didnt already know they were capable of from last years 6 nations and the SA game. What we did see was the set piece fall apart, england give away a lot of penalties and Ashtons "tackling". Thank god for all ROGs experience getting him selected to be the bench option rather than a kid at the top of their game (like Farrell)

I think we need to look at this in the context of the squad's experience and evolution.

It took SCW's England - a very experienced squad - 4 years to learn how to adapt their game properly to different teams and conditions. People have been comparing Sunday's match to the 2003 game in Dublin, but I think a more apt comparison would be to the 2000 game in Murrayfield. A similarly hostile environment, similarly foul conditions, a similar point in the RWC cycle. Scotland in 2000 were not as individually talented as Ireland in 2013 (though they were the 1999 5N Champions) but were better coached, but the 2000 England squad was already vastly more experienced than the 2013 version.

On that day, England were completely outthought and outmanoeuvred by the Scots. On Sunday, England coped with everything Ireland threw at them. It's also worth comparing this year with last year. England ground out 2 wins, surprised the French with counter-attacking and exploited Ireland's lack of depth at tighthead but didn't have a fully functioning attacking game even in good conditions. A year later, they have an attacking game that works when conditions are OK, but it's asking a bit much to expect them to have it fully functioning when the ball's a bar of soap.

Even the much more experienced Irish backline struggled with the conditions - and were put off by England's defensive pressure. To expect exciting back play from a team with fewer than 250 caps between them and less half a game playing with that XV on the pitch is a bit much.

I think we've seen enough to know that a) the coaches are pretty smart at designing gameplans that will work for the opposition and conditions; b) the squad are actually better at picking them up and executing than the 2003 squad were at the same phase of their development; c) there's enough evidence of improvement to believe that they will learn how to play a more exciting game in all weathers - given time.

I dont expect or feel we need to achieve that, just playing 10 man rugby well would be fine. The problem I have is that this hasnt shown any real development from Englands first game under Lancaster, but has shown their set piece is vulnerable.
The tactical kicking was great, not a lot else was (even farrells goal kicking was flawed).

All teams are going to have good and bad days, I get that. What Im having a hard time understanding is how people are managing to paint one of their worst performances under Lancaster as some kind of heroic evolution toward godhood. To me it was a step back... we've played better 10 man rugby than that.
As it was England mugged a fantastic result anyway, thats just the way things go (see the SA game for the reverse)

Im much happier with the result than what England produced in terms of play.

There's plenty I agree with here, and I'm still in the group waiting to be completely won over by Lancaster. However, to say there are no improvements (however short-term they may end up being) is unfair. How much of this is about SL and how much is it your grievance at the treatment of his predecessor?

Our tactical kicking under MJ was pitiful, utterly aimless. Our scrum in 2011 got mangled by Ireland's compared to today's performance, which was even, either way it's the same coach in that area right? SL has also improved in his selection - dropping the average Dowson and recognising the talent of Morgan (yes, a long way off top class but steadily improving and one of our few top carriers) rather than drafting in the broken Moody like MJ, our defence looks more aggressive and marginally more of a weapon and our breakdown work is immeasurably better, as is our discipline. We're not conceding within kicking distance as much as under MJ.

We're a mile from where I'd want us to be, and we were pretty rubbish yesterday, but I think there are SOME improvements. Now we need to see, among other things...

- Better carrying from the forwards - Did we miss Morgan and do we need someone like B Vunipola given a shot at some point for genuine carrying ability?
- More inventive backs, including better moves off first phase and more pace in the back 3.
- A better lineout. It's not a disaster, but it's not good enough with T Youngs throwing (i'd still keep him for his rucking).

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 11 Feb 2013, 4:13 pm

For the record Ive gone from a Lancaster (and Farrell ) sceptic to a bona fide bandwagon rider. I just think England are better than what they produced on Sunday, whereas other seem to see it as an affront to the dignity of makind to suggest that it was anything less than the greatest single moment of herosim since Wales last won a game Luke Skywalker faced up to his dad second time of asking.
Im not saying england are bobbins, just they have had better days.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 11 Feb 2013, 4:15 pm

Agree Hood, Morgan was missed a lot. Against Scotland his carrying looked to have improved a lot, and he was finally using his size. He looked fitter as well.

Haskell I think is better as the impact bench player, covering all 3 backrow positions.

The backrow of Wood, Robshaw, Morgan has a very nice balance to it.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 11 Feb 2013, 4:27 pm

rodders wrote:

And if the positions were reversed you would have been screaming at ROG/Sexton or whoever if they had done anything different

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Mon 11 Feb 2013, 4:31 pm

Triangulation wrote:
rodders wrote:

Hopefully yes.
The ABs ate up valuable time trying to get a pushover/penalty try vs our 6 man pack.
It didnt work.

When asked what he said to motivate that 6 man pack he answered "push"...dry old stick Johners

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 11 Feb 2013, 5:30 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:For the record Ive gone from a Lancaster (and Farrell ) sceptic to a bona fide bandwagon rider. I just think England are better than what they produced on Sunday, whereas other seem to see it as an affront to the dignity of makind to suggest that it was anything less than the greatest single moment of herosim since Wales last won a game Luke Skywalker faced up to his dad second time of asking.

England are better than Sunday? Yes indeed - they are.
Ireland too are better than Sunday.

Let's have a replay on a dry pitch that acts like grass rather than porridge and we'll take it from there Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon 11 Feb 2013, 5:33 pm

France next up.

Do we make any changes?
Are there likely to be any injury enforced changes?
Which France will turn up? This question gets panned as a cliche but actually it is now once again a fair enough question thanks to their incredibly erratic recent performances. Trouncing wallabies one week losing to the admittedly improving Italians and a feckless wales at home the next.

They are due a win at Twickenham.... and knowing our luck they'll locate their A game!!

Someone should start a thread.

For me i wouldnt change the England side one bit. Leave well alone save for playing an 8 at 8.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 11 Feb 2013, 5:36 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:For the record Ive gone from a Lancaster (and Farrell ) sceptic to a bona fide bandwagon rider. I just think England are better than what they produced on Sunday, whereas other seem to see it as an affront to the dignity of makind to suggest that it was anything less than the greatest single moment of herosim since Wales last won a game Luke Skywalker faced up to his dad second time of asking.

Let's have a replay on a dry pitch that acts like grass rather than porridge and we'll take it from there Wink

Seems impossible in Ireland with all that rain... that means we'll have to have it at Twickers, right?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 11 Feb 2013, 5:37 pm

Whilst I somewhat fear Brown trying to mark Fofana, I cannot wait to watch Fofana trying to tackle Mike Brown
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 11 Feb 2013, 5:51 pm

I agree that they can and will produce better performances - I think the reaction is to the accumulation of positives over the last few games. Apart from a brief period between 2001 and 2003, we've been used to England giving us a bit of false hope with a bright performance and then the wheels falling off the first time someone challenges their gameplan. It happened in the 2011 6N, and the wheels fell off so completely that all the good work Johnno had done was almost systematically undone.

After the previous two performances, the same old fears were surfacing. Would two good wins be undone by a fired up Irish team who were looking pretty good themselves?

The reaction (over-reaction?) is to the fact that England stuck to their guns, continued to play with real intensity and the basics still worked despite a stiffer examination than they'd yet faced. Yeah, the frills went by the wayside, and yeah, there were mistakes, but this is still a very young and inexperienced team, and they took control of the game and didn't let go. It wasn't a pretty win, but it wasn't as close as the scoreline suggested. I'd compare it to Quins' visit to Welford Road earlier this season: nowhere near as nice to watch as the AP final, but a significant win for the who, where and how of it as much for the performance. And to pick up on Fly's point: neither team played to their best in attack on Sunday, but that's because of how good they both were in defence.

I think for a lot of observers, this was the moment that flipped them from hope to belief in what Lancaster is doing. It wasn't a perfect performance, but it was an important one.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:17 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Seems impossible in Ireland with all that rain... that means we'll have to have it at Twickers, right?

I'd go as far as to extend the invite to our Irish rugby friends next year to play at HQ Wink - Can't guarantee sunshine though, even if you put the request in early.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:23 pm

"Which France will turn up? " -- If the silly coach picks players in their best positions, especially at halfback and in midfield, maybe.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 11 Feb 2013, 11:29 pm

Hood83 wrote:
Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:There are so many things to say about that Irish performance but I don't know about you Rodders, I just cant be bothered to talk about it. Kidney doesn't learn from his mistakes tactically and in his selections. Just as we have lost to Wales on the previous three occasions we have demonstrated how easy we are to defend against. Get the defensive line up quickly and we will be too clueless to do anything. England played perfectly fine. They offered absolutely nothing in attack and still won the match. They didn't even really have to work that hard for it either. The score flattered us and England's victory was well deserved. I'm not sure how Robshaw won man of the match. He put in alot of work but I thought Parling was absolutely outstanding.

It is exactly the performance I envisaged. Kidney has castrated his players from using their brains in a match. You see Ulster and Leinster invariably being able to change tactics when the going gets tough to win matches they should have lost. Ireland have not done that once since 2010. I'm glad you picked up on D'Arcy Rodders because I was screaming at him there. Even though he has lost alot of his gas that was a gaping hole, and even if he had have been tackled he could have created an overlap and a chance for Gilroy and Kearney (I think) to break.

Other than that we'll let the usual crowd of provincial infighters do their usual on ROG (embarrassing and sad), Healy (thuggery), Heaslip (the most underperforming Irish players since the last Lions tour now captain), unbalanced backrow (expecting Healy and Best to do the breakdown work so three backrowers can carry the ball ineffectually- how badly do we miss David Wallace?), refusal to change centres when D'Arcy offers no creativity, etc, etc, etc.

The biggest thing though I noticed was the booing of Farrell when kicking. I hate it. Its footballesque behaviour. I was sitting with my dad and some of his friends watching the match and they were all talking before it about how at the height of the Troubles England came across the play Ireland in Dublin when Scotland and Wales refused. Most of us know about it- it was a brave and incredibly important gesture. Then to hear supposedly 'respectful' fans booing the English kicker shows absolutely no class.

I think it's comments like these that result in so many people having a soft spot for the Irish team and its fans. I hope it doesn't come across as massively patronising to say - nice one.

That said, the noise of your fans was also incredible, sounded an amazing atmosphere, I think it's worth dwelling on that as well. And as an Englishman I personally had no issue with the booing. I see lots of people don't like it but I ask myself - 'would England fans at Twickenham be any better' and the answer I think is a resounding no. They're also some of the most boorish, awful, mute fans around. IMO

We've just got back from Dublin and it's not hard to understand why so many people do indeed have a soft spot for the Irish. I have to say the Irish fans were very welcoming and gracious in defeat and even around town in the evening people were offering their congratulations with no hard feelings at all. Everyone we met was so friendly and the taxi drivers are the best in any city I've ever been to, whether having a chat about the rugby, giving some interesting history about the city etc or recommending good places to go and where to avoid. We had a great few days and would thoroughly recommend it when the match comes around again in two years time. I'm a London Irish fan so maybe a bit biassed but I don't think so ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:38 pm

Out of interest from Ireland fans if Ferris makes it back to full fitness what starting back-row would you like to see. O'Brien has been exceptional of late, O'Mahony has really impressed me and with Ferris the sort of guy who could make just about any side in the world fit could you see Heaslip missing out?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:43 pm

O'Mahoney will likely drop out which is unfortunate for him because Heaslip has been the least impressive backrower by far and poor generally. Although possibly Ferris will take Henry's spot on the bench.

SOB has been outstanding in both games.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:49 pm

Farrell isn't an inspiring player but already for England looks a more complete player than Wilkinson. His consistency is predictably awesome and exactly the sort of putty that Gatland should want to mould into his starting Lions flyhalf.

Some of the things I read on here just make me laugh outloud. Just Ridiculous

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Wed 13 Feb 2013, 10:33 am

Irish supporters,

Do you think that the choke tackle is going to be maintained long term by DK as the mainstay of your defensive strategy?

Should it be?

I can see the success you have had with it in the past. The best examples off the top of my head being vs England 2011 and vs Wallabies at the last RWC (though god only knows how or why the aussies were "suprised" at it. They are on record as saying they were!)

I can also see that with strong back rowers such as SOB and Ferris hopefully returning it can play to stengths.

Surely though you are at risk of being found out now. Everyone knows you're going to try it and will plan accordingly.

We saw vs England that when it goes wrong eg. Heaslip on 36 the tackler can often get caught on the wrong side and penalised for not rolling away.

(not an issue with a collapsed maul but it is a big issue if it is not deemed a collapsed maul due to the tackled player getting to the deck in a timely fashion).

interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:08 am

The choke tackle has worked very well for us in the past no doubt. We were caught out for the first time on Sunday and gave away penalties. Its a useful tool but its a question of when we choose to use it.

What disappointed me most about Sunday was the more mature and composed side had 1/3 of the caps the Irish team had. Plenty of players from all provinces have utter brainfarts in green that they would not have for their province (Leinster boys were main nculprits on Sunday). Its a mix of utter stupidity and perhaps trying to hard.

When i woke up to incessant rain on Sunday my heart dropped. We could really have done with more power in the backs to get over the gainline. We have a small skillful backline but they were negated by the rain and excellent english defence. Our front 5 actually broke even and supplied plenty of momentum but we never really put the English under pressure. It was a game cut out for the ROG of old but he is simply past it and his kicking was terrible. He was not alone in kicking poorly. Watching Farrell in the rain was like watching ROG in his pomp albeit a far stronger defender

On to Scotland. If it rains we will need to adjust our gameplan accordingly. Less risky calls at lineout time, use our maul and kick the ball far better. We did not hesitate to put boot to ball on Sunday we just did it very poorly. If its a dry day i think we will win.

Still lots to play for lads. England do not have a procession to the grand slam. I will judge Kidney on the whole tournament.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:17 am

Triangulation wrote:Irish supporters,

Do you think that the choke tackle is going to be maintained long term by DK as the mainstay of your defensive strategy?

Should it be?

I can see the success you have had with it in the past. The best examples off the top of my head being vs England 2011 and vs Wallabies at the last RWC (though god only knows how or why the aussies were "suprised" at it. They are on record as saying they were!)

I can also see that with strong back rowers such as SOB and Ferris hopefully returning it can play to stengths.

Surely though you are at risk of being found out now. Everyone knows you're going to try it and will plan accordingly.

We saw vs England that when it goes wrong eg. Heaslip on 36 the tackler can often get caught on the wrong side and penalised for not rolling away.

(not an issue with a collapsed maul but it is a big issue if it is not deemed a collapsed maul due to the tackled player getting to the deck in a timely fashion).

interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Tri my thoughts are that its a great option when used at the right time. We have players like O'Brien and Best who are excellent at getting under the ball and creating the maul.

My feeling going into this game was that it was a very risky strategy due to the upperbody strength and power of some of the English carriers, that they would gain ground in the tackle and still get the ball on the deck. The ref was very quick to penalise the tackler for not rolling away as you say and we need to adapt to that quickly and change tactics.

Its a strength of ours that should be utilised but not as often as we are currently doing.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Wed 13 Feb 2013, 11:40 am

Yes I think that is probably a wise answer. Use the choke tackle but do it selectively and adapt if the ref is pinging you in any way as always.

I suppose to rely on it working you need the ref to be heard to say "it is a maul" Then your players know that they can lie all over it if does collapse.

I think there are certain players against whom you'd be wise to almost never employ it against.

Messrs Morgan and Tuilagi spring to mind for starters plus most of the Bok forward pack!

Lawes - always try it on with him after the welsh centre rolled him and us last 6N!!!

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:43 pm

I have noticed that i often have the last word in these discussions. I dont know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. Being paranoid does not make me wrong!

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:44 pm

No its a bad thing...it usually means England have won.... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3