The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wasps Revival - from possible extinction to possible play offs.

+11
Jenifer McLadyboy
yappysnap
Geordie
Hound_of_Harrow
wales606
dgttaylor
AlastairW
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
LondonTiger
BigTrevsbigmac
15 posters

Go down

Wasps Revival - from possible extinction to possible play offs. Empty Wasps Revival - from possible extinction to possible play offs.

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:03 am

Taken unashamedly from Bucks Free Press -

'WASPS’ Lazarus-like renaissance is the story of the domestic English rugby season.

You only have to look at where they are now and compare it to where they were eight months ago.

Last May they were one single, solitary point away from probable extinction.

The money had dried up and relegation out of the Premiership would have almost certainly killed the club off.

Their players would have scattered to the wind and they would have crashed into the Championship with few assets apart from a fading brand name.

Finding a new buyer would have been next to impossible and liquidation was the most likely end.

But they stayed up, they were a thrown a short-term lifeline by a new consortium and, on the field at least, they have grabbed it with both hands.

Now, with a third of the new season remaining, they are one the brink of something quite remarkable.

Saturday’s win at English champions Harlequins, their first in six years, kept them in the play-offs and if they follow up by putting space between themselves and fifth-placed Gloucester on Sunday then the scales will tip their way again and they will go from possible semi-finalists to probables.

Throw in the prospect of a home quarter-final against Leinster in the Amlin Challenge Cup and the transformation has been staggering.

Director of rugby Dai Young said: “Last season was just about survival but this year is about making some big strides forward.

“We started gaining a little bit of belief and momentum from some of our home performances but we needed to back that up with some big wins away from home and you don’t get tougher or harder places to come than here.

“Hopefully it will give us some belief.”

But as telling as the result was the performance.

Wasps won’t claim to be better than Harlequins, they are two teams that play the same brand of rugby at slightly different levels.

Harlequins are further forward in their development but Wasps proved on Saturday night that the unity within their dressing room is at least as good as any other team in the league.

That is what won them the game at The Stoop, and while Young doesn’t generally spend his press conferences cheerleading he was happy to tip his hat to the character of his players at the weekend.

He said: “We showed some good stuff in attack, but the really pleasing thing was the spirit we showed in defence to hold them out.

“We were under pressure for long periods, but we showed real character.

“It was nowhere near perfect. There were still lots of things that could have lost us the game and there are still lots of things that we have to keep working on.

“We still made mistakes but the hunger, desire and work-rate were outstanding.

“It looked like Holby City in the dressing room at half time. A lot of boys had to be patched up and there were a lot of bumps and bruises.

“But there was a lot of hard work and a lot of commitment.”

With eight Premiership matches to play, Wasps are now two points clear of fifth and five clear of sixth.

But their run-in means they can still miss out on the play-offs just as easily as not.

They must play first, third, fifth and sixth and will probably need to win two of those matches plus three more besides to make sure of a top four finish.'

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Wasps Revival - from possible extinction to possible play offs. Empty Re: Wasps Revival - from possible extinction to possible play offs.

Post by LondonTiger Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:23 am

Is the money sorted out?

I heard that the december salaries were paid late - and that James Haskell is still deferring his wages.

Wasps still need to sort out the 10 spot. They almost lost to Quins due to Robinson - while Jones is doing well for an OAP but struggles to manage 80 minutes per month.

However the signs look promising.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Wasps Revival - from possible extinction to possible play offs. Empty Re: Wasps Revival - from possible extinction to possible play offs.

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:28 am

The money thing was supposed to have been a banking error rather than a finance issue. the money issues are more of a season end thing and going forward. Qualifying for the HC will help both in terms of guaranteeing additional income for next season and increasing interest from investors. Playoffs too will add a nice chunk to the kitty (although the competition for 4th spot is really tough)
It certainly cant hurt for a broke team to keep winning. But I doubt they will be able to hold on to much of the squad into next year unless some big cash appears soon to prop up the house of cards.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:47 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Is the money sorted out?

I heard that the december salaries were paid late - and that James Haskell is still deferring his wages.

Wasps still need to sort out the 10 spot. They almost lost to Quins due to Robinson - while Jones is doing well for an OAP but struggles to manage 80 minutes per month.

However the signs look promising.

Quote from Dai Young a few days ago,

"There has been a lot of uncertainty off the field but I always had confidence that the people around the club would deliver and thankfully they've done that," said Young who confirmed investment in the club from an unnamed multi-millionaire was imminent.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:52 pm

Certainly can't knock the results the Pests have achieved this season and full credit must go to the players and coaching staff - much Better luck with injuries too this season. Fair play OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:21 pm

Well played to Wasps! I didn't see the game on Saturday - mainly because I was too lazy to go! Wink But by all reports they certainly put up a good fight against us for the full 80 and came away the winners.

There seems to be a lot of drive in the players at a personal level to perform for club & be tapped for national service. After last seasons dire results, they've really bounced back. Kudos!

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by dgttaylor Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:11 pm

Agree with London Tiger, 10 spot has to be a priority along with bolstering the front row. We are some way off having a pack that is feared by other sides but top effort from everyone this season. Losing Billy Vunipola is a real shame too. Just hope that some of the guys who have come through the last two years are not lured away to a more "fashionable" club. If we can get H Cup rugby that would definitely help us with retention, along with this apparent multi millionaire investor...

dgttaylor

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm

You wan't Dai Young to find you a new 10.....that never ends well.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by dgttaylor Wed 13 Feb 2013, 5:33 pm

I heard we were getting Freddie Burns*

*this is not true

dgttaylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:01 am

The relative lack of injuries compared to last season has been a relief. Plus we now have a decent pack and replacements in the pack.

Having two try scoring wingers has also helped - they weren't getting anywhere near the same number of chances last term.

But a huge difference has been Hugo Southwell as captain. He is a top motivator and defensive organiser. Not to mention being a bloody good bloke.

His commitment has rubbed off on the rest of the squad.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 14 Feb 2013, 9:35 am

See we're not bad us Geordies...we took the hit to safeguard an old English club Wink

It an ironic way all the injuries last season actually helped them this season...as they had no choice but to blood their young but extremely talented bunch of kids. Players like Launchbury, Wade, Daly, Lindsay, etc etc all played far more games than they possibly might have had the rest of the players been fit...and that seasons experience has benefitted the club hugely on the pitch.

Losing Vunipola is a blow definately but if Wasps can continue their excellent current recruitment drive and continue using their academy, i think its a blow that can be managed.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:06 pm

Wasps reminded me of the team of old on the weekend. Tough as nails with two marksmen on the wings.

I can't begrudge you the win and it's pleasing to see you boys back in the T4, I hope you get in to the HC next season as it's all the poorer for not having you.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:08 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:The relative lack of injuries compared to last season has been a relief. Plus we now have a decent pack and replacements in the pack.

Having two try scoring wingers has also helped - they weren't getting anywhere near the same number of chances last term.

But a huge difference has been Hugo Southwell as captain. He is a top motivator and defensive organiser. Not to mention being a bloody good bloke.

His commitment has rubbed off on the rest of the squad.

I'd also mentin Elliot Daily in the backs, for such a young lad he seems to create everything good that Wasps do in attack.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 14 Feb 2013, 9:13 pm

Where do you all drink in High WikkaWikkaWikka Ham?

Coming over for the Amlin clash of HC Champions in April. word is it may not be the most happening town, but sure what do you need other than a load of rugby fans and a half decent boozer?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by dgttaylor Fri 15 Feb 2013, 7:22 am

I hadn't realised we had signed Matt Mullan!

dgttaylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Feb 2013, 8:36 am

Yeah a few weeks back it was announced...cracking signing...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 1:03 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Where do you all drink in High WikkaWikkaWikka Ham?

Coming over for the Amlin clash of HC Champions in April. word is it may not be the most happening town, but sure what do you need other than a load of rugby fans and a half decent boozer?

Your best bet is The Bootlegger http://thebootleggerpub.co.uk/ just opposite the train station, the town centre is full of Yates' / Weatherspoons / clone pubs, but the Bootlegger is a great pub with a MASSIVE selection of beer that makes no bones about not liking wendyball fans and catering to rugby fans. Also you can get the shuttle bus from the train station to the ground (and back again) when you are on the return journey go to the second pick up point as the first one is for the park and ride which always has massive queues.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:04 pm

Could the revival come to a crashing end this weekend? Sunday's game is shaping up to be a good one. As long as our nemesis Elliot Daly doesn't go near kicking a ball I'm confident Glaws can sneak the win Smile
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:10 pm

Solid8 wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Where do you all drink in High WikkaWikkaWikka Ham?

Your best bet is The Bootlegger http://thebootleggerpub.co.uk/ just opposite the train station, the town centre is full of Yates' / Weatherspoons / clone pubs, but the Bootlegger is a great pub with a MASSIVE selection of beer that makes no bones about not liking wendyball fans and catering to rugby fans. Also you can get the shuttle bus from the train station to the ground (and back again) when you are on the return journey go to the second pick up point as the first one is for the park and ride which always has massive queues.
Cheers Solid8. Like the look of that boozer. Used to be an 8 myself many years ago. Not so solid but anyway.......

Looking forward to it. A new comp a new experience an old rival.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:36 pm

It will be a good game! I won't be able to make it sadly as one of my buddies inconsiderately scheduled his wedding for that day!

The older I get the more apt the solid part of my username becomes......... Still nothing more satisfying than a good pick up and trundle with the ball though!

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:45 pm

Solid8 wrote:Still nothing more satisfying than a good pick up and trundle with the ball though!
That's exactly what I was thinking. Laugh

To pretty to be a forward too tough to be a back.

Would only be a trundle at this stage sadly.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:47 pm

The 'Legger will be busy for that game, but so will everywhere, given the game is on a Friday night. They record lots of rugby so there will probably be games on the TVs.

Travelling by train will be interesting as the trains will be packed with rush hour commuters. I'll be heading up at 3pm.
Smile

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:58 pm

Mate of mine driving down from Oxford. We will fly to Brum and meet him somewhere.

Edit: Sorry for de railing your thread lads. Will start or join a new one closer to the time.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Fri 15 Feb 2013, 6:13 pm

No worries Jen. Some of the Leinster 606ers will be at The Bootlegger.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:56 am

I think an unsung hero this year for Wasps has been James Cannon. When he first arrived I thought he looked a gawky useless beanpole but his work-rate, defence, lineout and even his carrying have looked superb the last few times I've seen him.

I think they'll miss Vunipola more than they know though, his go forward and defence is pretty much irreplaceable and a massive reason they keep putting teams on the backfoot and making space for their back 3.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:29 am

very exciting, if we can hit the semis I'll be a very happy man, reach the final? That'd be even better!

I can't see us beating Quins or Leicester at full strength but here's hopin'!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down