The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters, Promotors and Referees That Have Annoyed You

+10
BallchinianMuffwig
azania
melv500
88Chris05
seanmichaels
TopHat24/7
ShahenshahG
Rowley
captain carrantuohil
Strongback
14 posters

Go down

Fighters, Promotors and Referees That Have Annoyed You Empty Fighters, Promotors and Referees That Have Annoyed You

Post by Strongback Wed 13 Feb 2013, 3:58 pm

Fairly straightforward.

To get things started here's a few of mine:

Fighters: Haye, Hamed and over the years at times Mike Tyson.

Promoters: What's to like in any of them?..........in saying that Maloney annoys me the most for a lot of different reasons.

Referees: If I could have reached into the television and grabbed Roger Tilleman I would have strangled him, blood boiling stuff.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Fighters, Promotors and Referees That Have Annoyed You Empty Re: Fighters, Promotors and Referees That Have Annoyed You

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:04 pm

Ooh, you could start something here, Strongback. If I were only feeling grumpier....

In any case: Fighters - for different reasons, Henry Cooper, Sugar Ray Leonard, Ricky Hatton, David Haye spring to mind.

Promoters: All of them, without exception, at some point. Arum tops the bill.

Referees: Johnny Lo Bianco, Roland Dakin, Terry O'Connor, Steve Smoger, Joe Cortez and the wretchedly inept IJ-L all annoyed the hell out of me at one point or another.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Fighters, Promotors and Referees That Have Annoyed You Empty Re: Fighters, Promotors and Referees That Have Annoyed You

Post by Rowley Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:11 pm

Fighters – Haye, Mayweather and Manny

Promoters – King, Arum, Warren but let’s be honest they are all as bad as each other

Refs – Mickey Vann, IJL, Cortez for not having the good grace to retire many a year ago.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:21 pm

Haye, Froch, Khan, Wlad

All of em

IJL is beyond incompetence.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:21 pm

Fighters - Mayweather, Barkley, SRL, Clev

Promoter - all bar Hearn

Refs - Terry O'Connor, Richard Steele, Joe Cortez.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:29 pm

What about the fat dark haired greek looking chap who announces the ring entrance on some British shows? His nasal tones get right on my thrupennies.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

Boxers: Calzaghe, Mayweather Jr, Andre Dirrell, Skelton

Promoters: Plenty of them, but Arum and Warren more than any others.

Referees: Ian John-Lewis, a truly pathetic official be it refereeing or judging. Might sound harsh, but it's exactly what he deserves. Horrendous, and the sooner he's ushered out of the sport in all capacities, the better.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:39 pm

Not harsh at all, he should be given hair implants then dragged out by his hair. Missing a low blow here or there or a headbutt, elbow, etc is par for the course. Making a hash of nearly every aspect of refereeing and judging is criminal.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:43 pm

I'll add Hearn. Yeah he makes some good fights but the way he stands next to his fighters calling them kid makes me hope they would turn around and punch the patronising pri*k. Also he’s only about a couple of years older himself. Then when he jumped in the ring before the Froch-Bute was properly stopped was embarrassing.

Like I say fair play makes some good fights but let’s be honest if it wasn’t for Daddy he'd be a complete nobody. Also doesn’t seem to be that knowledgeable about boxing in general.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:47 pm

The Froch-Bute thing was bad reffing as much as Hearn's fault. Ref clearly waved the fight off, then bizarrely changed his mind and decided to start a count.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 5:00 pm

Fair enbough but everyone else magaed to stay out the ring. Just get the feeling it's all about him.

No issues wiht him as a promoter just how he comes across #smug

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:15 pm

Bernard Hopkins. I want to see him flattened.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:34 pm

azania wrote:Bernard Hopkins. I want to see him flattened.

If you knew Clev were the man to do it, would you still want it?? Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:42 pm

Wouldn't give a monkeys. The guy has stunk out more joints than I care to remember. The older he gets the more he spoils.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:44 pm

It pains me but I'm going to have to agree with you (for once!) Shocked

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Feb 2013, 8:24 pm

Thete is hope for you then.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Wed 13 Feb 2013, 10:25 pm

Fighters is worthy of another thread to be honest.

Promoters- I tolerate them all except Gary Shaw. He is literally everything that's wrong with American people, in appearance but more so in manner!

Referees- Ian John Lewis for obvious reasons, Joe Cortez, the walrus who refereed Ottke-Reid, and the guy who referreed Danny Williams-Konstantin Airich...

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:43 pm

Fighters: Mayweather and Broner (for being arrogant and talkative, but ultimately having very little intelligence or wit behind it all), Dirrell (for being a wimp and a goddam actress!, Ward (for just being so polished and god-fearing), Cleverly (for being slightly arrogant and superior but never actually fighting anyone of note), Degale (for the way he tried to slag off groves before getting beat), Margarito (for being an obvious cheat).

Promoters: Arum stands out from the crowd. He's actually like Scrooge. You'd think he'd get to his age and he'd ease off the penny pinching and try to make a bit more of a positive legacy in the sport. But, no, our Bob seems determined to go to the grave as the richest lying snake he can be.

Referees: Roger Tilleman has had the worst performances I've seen - particularly Ottke vs Reid. He recently passed away I think so don't want to give him too much stick. Cortez and his over involvement in fights annoys me at times.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:44 pm

McCloskey, Rios, Tyson Fury

Bob Arum and Frank Warren

IJL and Cortez.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:46 pm

BallchinianMuffwig wrote:

Promoters- I tolerate them all except Gary Shaw. He is literally everything that's wrong with American people, in appearance but more so in manner!

He really does come across like a little toad doesn't he?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:52 pm

I take it's more of a personal dislike that the occasional thing they've done to annoy you. I could pick Howard Eastman for the way he threw away the Joppy fight then failed to make an effort in his fight with Hopkins but I don't think that's what you mean.

As big a Haye fan as I am, he annoys me by refusing to take on the other top tier fighters and actually earn another crack at the K's. For what it's worth I think he handles them with ease but I'd like to see him actually do it rather than talk about his divine right to be the next in line.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Degale as an annoyance.

Promotors...as easy a target as Arum would be, for me, it would have to be Boente....he's an "implement" of the very highest calibre.

Referees...basically all those who have decided that they need a little catchphrase in order to try and make themselves as important as the fighters. I blame Mills Lane...but he did do Celebrity Death Match so I also have to forgive him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

I did - mainly for his behaviour in the lead up to the groves fight

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:57 pm

I just thought of another promoter that I dislike: the old Sauerland. Seems like a vile old man.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:59 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

I did - mainly for his behaviour in the lead up to the groves fight

Sorry fella, once I've read about a line of most posts I tend to drift off. Not cos they're dull, I just struggle to maintain interest in anything for longer than thirty seconds these da...ooh, a squirrel.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 2:00 pm

Not long ago, I saw that 'classic' Ringside episode again where they had both Groves and DeGale on a few weeks before their fight, and I'd actually forgotten quite how embarrassing DeGale was!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 2:05 pm

Never like Honey until he fought Starling..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 1:20 pm

A fighters entourage that feel the need to be in the ring. Granted, the trainer , promoter and cut man, maybe even a close friend or family member.

But what the hell is the point in the rest of them, what do they seriously think people back home watching on TV think of them?

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down