The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

32 teams in 32 days: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

+3
mikeygnfl
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
7 posters

Go down

32 teams in 32 days: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Empty 32 teams in 32 days: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Post by GSC Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:27 am

Record: 7-9
Offensive Rank: 9th (Passing: 10th, Rushing 15th)
Defensive Rank: 29th (Passing: 32nd, Rushing 1st)

What went right?

Vincent Jackson was the guy the Bucs doled out all the cash for. Doug Martin came on strong down the stretch. Gerald McCoy stayed healthy and Lavonte David gave a strong rookie year and the Bucs were strong against the run.

What went wrong?
Simply put, the secondary sucked. When you give up more than the Saints you have a problem. Josh Freeman struggled to find consistency, the OL missed some key pieces through injury. DE's being hurt also contributed to the worst pass D in the league.

Prospects for 2013?
The Bucs need a strong draft to reel in Atlanta and like a resurgent Saints. In a division with Matt Ryan and Drew Brees you wont win many games with a craptastic pass D. Josh Freeman likely faces a do or die year at QB, wouldn't surprise me if the Bucs took a 2nd/3rd round QB to push him.

Projected 2013 Draft pick?
If you can't defend the pass in the NFC South, it's a struggle. The Bucs have to improve there, however it seems a tad early to take a CB here so I'd expect them to get out if they can. They could use some pass rush help however so Barkevious Mingo makes sense to me here.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

32 teams in 32 days: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Empty Re: 32 teams in 32 days: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:47 am

I like the Bucs on offence, unfortunately Nicks went down injured and although in the weeks after Martin got hot, it wasn't really down to the O-Line, just great play by Martin. That injury also seemed to affect Freeman in the pocket, as he just seemed to have the Blaine Gabbert's about him in thinking the pass rush was coming quicker than it was.

The defence needs work in the secondary. Big time
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

32 teams in 32 days: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Empty Re: 32 teams in 32 days: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:48 am

Would also say Schiano had a good first year as HC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:38 pm

There was alot to like about Tampa Bay last year. They had a good draft and a good free agency. Another good draft this year and I can see them challenging the Falcons and probably the Saints in the NFC South.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:48 pm

Think Schiano had lessons to learn, can't run a NFL team like a college team in every aspect
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:17 pm

I just need the Buc to show me something. The last few years I've expected them to take a big step and it hasn't happened. I'm not quite as high on them as in past years and think they will do well to beat .500 this season

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Whistler Sat 16 Feb 2013, 8:48 pm

I think it will probably be another year of the same for the Bucs. The Falcons should be able to build on last season, and I see the Saints coming out stronger. Bucs will be back, but maybe a while to go yet!

Whistler

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:06 am

Josh Freeman was in his first year in a new system (one of the toughest to learn as well, relies on total sync between receviers and QB, both have to be readign the same thing if not there's trouble), he had some bad moments, he forces the ball too often, struggles at times with reading coverages, and doesn't go through his reads often enough.

He gets the case of the Happy feet if a lot of pressure is applied which happened in the latter weeks. A bout 4 of his INTs weren't all in him (Clark losing the flight of the ball, Mike Williams Slipping, a couple of miscommunications) but he was still kind of erratic.
A big way to help that would be to get a TE (Delanie Walker, Martellus Bennett, needs to be a good blocker and receiver) and a slot receiver (heard good things about Kenny Stills as a later round guy).

The Bucs immediate need is defence, Defensive End isn't a major need if you keep Bennett, they have good depth there, good pass rushing teams have dpeth, they aren't all 10-15 sack guys but all pitch in, I wouldn't be against it in the first provided the Bucs satisfy their Cornerback needs in Free Agency. They need 2-3 CBs, top of my list would be Brent Grimes, Sean Smith, Derrick Cox, Pacman Jones (he played very well lasy year), Keenan Lewis. Grab two of those guys and you are in a great position, cut Eric Wright and give them his contract, they won't complain with that cash, otherwise one guy and a couple in the draft, the Bucs scheme, unless they change it, is horrendous on Cornerbacks, it is almost exclusively man to man coverage, it might be why Nnamdi wouldn't be horrendous here if he restructured.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:08 am

Nnamdi sucks altogether now.

Dude has 0 ball skills while the ball is in the air
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:11 am

I thought he struggled in zone as opposed to being rubbish? For the contract he is on he wouldn't be worth it despite all the cash the Bucs have, this FA CB class don't have one star (plenty of potentials in Grimes, who was well on his way before the injury, Smith, and Keenan Lewis, from what I saw of the Steelers the guy is very underrated)

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:12 am

While the Bucs have a few good DEs, theres nobody I would say is a good to great pass rusher.

The Giants show that a crappy pass rush can mask a bad secondary
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:13 am

When he played straight up press man he still sucked.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:14 am

Bennett has shown flashes, he is well on his way, they need to keep him, a cornerstone of the best run defence in the NFL and a weapon v the pass. If Clayborne devleops and Bowers gets better week on week as he was, I would probably not go DE. FA guys like Freeney or Osi or available if needs be and Dion Jordan may fall, CB is their biggest need, if a CB is the best on the board at 13 you grab him.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:15 am

Bowers off to jail
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:18 am

Proably not, actually. They seemed to have worked something out seemingly, looks positive enough. A bit strange, and the guy was a complete tool though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:57 am

I dunno, its a long standing belief of mine that a great pass rusher does more than a great CB. And none of the Bucs guys strike me as great.

Wright a goner since his suspension means he can be cut for 0 of his 7.75m salary.

As I say, I think right now its too high for a CB, and pass rushers are atop the board
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 Feb 2013, 12:04 pm

On Freeman, I liked him coming out, and while he shows flashes, theres a lot of bad to go with the good. As I say, I think this is a big year for him, and if he struggles, it wouldn't surprise me if he lost his job.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:46 pm

He really needs on his intermediate passes. He throws a great deep ball.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:50 pm

I think the Bucs might add a QB in the draft just to provide some pressure.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down