The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awful commentary and Interviewing last night!!

+14
School Project
The Galveston Giant
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Knowsit17
rycoys
Rodney
John Bloody Wayne
Steffan
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Awful commentary and Interviewing last night!! Empty Awful commentary and Interviewing last night!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:04 am

Dear oh dear.........A complete mismatch basically from start to finish..........Never a moment's doubt about the result and all we got was "He's giving him something to think about....He's winning friends over....How brave" (ad nauseum)......

All these things we wouldn't be hearing If the fight was going the other way!!.....

Then after the fight as usual Smith was up the fighter's butt........."I think you won the first round and maybe the second"

Well whoopy-doo...........

The guy was whipped easily...he shouldn't have been in there....end of!

Let's start calling a spade a spade.....and not this nauseating garbage that gets served up everytime....

I grew up with Marv Albert, Howard Cosell, Alex wallau, Clancy and Ryan and they were critical of home and away boxers and at least tried to be non-partisan........

Time for SKY to be more professional...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Awful commentary and Interviewing last night!! Empty Re: Awful commentary and Interviewing last night!!

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:22 am

Gavin gave it a go, that's all we could ask. He didn't turn up for a paycheck like most fighters do that are massive underdogs. Fair play to him.

We all knew Adrian Broner was going to win, but Gavin earned his shot.

I don't think Burns would fare any better being honest...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Awful commentary and Interviewing last night!! Empty Re: Awful commentary and Interviewing last night!!

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:57 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

The guy was whipped easily...he shouldn't have been in there....end of!

I wouldn't say "easily"

He got put down with a fantastic uppercut that would have put anyone down, but he got right back up and went straight at Broner

He then got put down by a body shot after Broner got warned for pushing his head down. Rees took his eye off the ball for a split second, relaxed and dropped his guard allowing Broner to get a free shot at Rees body.

He was stunned after that and I think his corner threw in the towel a bit too quickly.

Saying he was easily beaten is a dis-service to Rees. The only thing that let him down was a lack of power but I reckon he showed the blueprint for beating Broner

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:00 am

He was outclassed...........

Broner was in cruise control...He was bolo punching from the 2nd onwards...

Never had to leave first gear.........truth be told.

Rees was brave............But don't let the fact you like him distort the picture!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:13 am

Truss hates Gavin Rees. Always has. Although he doesnt hate him as much as Enzo Mac

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:16 am

Taking even a single round off somebody who outclasses you so comprehensively in absolutely every aspect of boxing shows great determination and grit worthy of commendation.

Nobody was claiming he was close to winning, simply that he pushed what his physicality limits him to and made the most of the situation when he could've played safe and laid down.

Given how easily Broner swatted Demarco, Rees could have a future at 135, especially if HBO thought he put on a show.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:19 am

Sky seem to get a free pass on here many pointing the finger at boxnation as a secondary station, the fact is as a boxing fan sky are simply awful nowadays which is shame, since I grew up watching the sport on sky's platform.

Nowadays Prizefighter seems the forefront and they have the audacity to show Froch now as a PPV. I sky + the fight last night and soon as I seen Mccrory and Piper in the studio I fastforwared the whole lot, it's awful Sky television now.

Mccrory, Piper, Smith ect must be the worst pundits In any sports programme, Truss is right, the commentary was from a what you'd expect from a 10 year old.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:58 am

Exactly Rodney.............You expect at least a show of neutrality...

I remember Alex Wallau got absolutely hammered for being slightly partisan towards Hearns during the Andries fight by KO magazine and other publications...

Over here it's taken as read..................

It was a one sided fight..........any fight where you know the result after two rounds is pretty comprehensive......

When a corner man is saying he should have pulled him out after 4!! Then it's insane to say otherwise.....

I don't dislike Rees.........Just that I'm calling a spade a spade here..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rycoys Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:20 am

i belive boxnations success [ as smaal as it is ] is built how awful sky has become. the fact they build up prizefighter but yet ignore the fact fighters such as mayweather or klitschko are fighting is shocking ! the thing that pees me off about sky is they make out they are the home of boxing and the froch fight is the biggest in the history of the sport, yet how many big important fights and fighters are not shown? klitschko , maywaether , groves , price , fury, haye, defail , etc,

rycoys

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 am

Hearn has taken over Sky.......If he hasn't got an interest then Sky haven't...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 am

There's been many a challenger worse or less deserving than Rees fighting for a world strap. A win was never anticipated. Methinks you're reading too much into the Sky commentary who, like a lot of commentators, are usually kind to the underdog. As far as I'm aware it was never claimed that Rees was anything more than he is, that he would trouble Broner any more than he did.

Tbh I'm glad commentary teams don't adopt the kind of blunt pessimism you're promoting Truss. We get enough sickly contempt at overmatched fighters getting swept aside, why do we need more?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Well Truss he wasn't 25/1 one for nothing! And I actually gave him the first two rounds Laugh The gulf in class was evident but at least he went out to upset the applecart rather just take the paycheck. He did tag Broner and few times more then I have seen in a while but they just didnt have any effect.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:45 pm

The Sky commentary/punditry has nothing on their US counterparts - in terms of how shockingly crap and biaised they are! Any fight with Floyd or Manny has to be watched with the sound off it's so ridiculous. Kellerman in particular is beyond a joke.

So yes, the Sky team are lacking, but let's not make out it's any different across the pond Trussy!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 pm

I didn't really see or hear too much from Sky's commentary the other night to get upset over, and nor do I think that they said anything too over the top or hard to justify.

They acknowledged that Broner was by far the better man, that he was likely to be from the off and that his performance was highly impressive. However, despite all of that, Rees did acquit himself well, was very courageous and did at least win a round or two, which is more than some thought he'd manage.

Why should Sky not mention any of this? It's not as if they overplayed any of it, and it takes two men to make a fight at the end of the day. What would you prefer, Truss - to wax lyrical about one fighter non stop and make absolutely no mention at all of the other?

Granted, Sky don't have the greatest punditry team but as far as I can see they reported the fight pretty honestly and fairly.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:04 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Kellerman in particular is beyond a joke.!

He was so far up Broners backside he was licking his nostrels. I though it was funny, do you want yo see your knockdowns, well there was so many of them! Didn't know Max struggles to count to 2.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Kellerman is horrific. His 'interview' with Mayweather after the Marquez fight was one of the most shockingly inept and egotistical pieces of work ever seen on HBO, which is really saying something.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:29 pm

I don't listen to Kellerman....All I know is this is a British trait..

Listen to the Gutteridge-Watt commentary of honey-Curry.....

and listen to the Clancy-Ryan commentary.........

One Is objective and the other subjective.............Kellerman is an exception to the rule.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:30 pm

As for Harry Carpenter......."Get in there Frank".......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 pm

How is it a British trait if it's something the Yanks do evey bit as much? Or are you accepting that at heart you are still a conquered people and our 'traits' live on through you?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Because it isn't something "US YANKS" do as much....

I've just mentioned Ryan and Clancy.......

You give me one example of a guy of who doesn't call it as if he's fighting the Brit's fight!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:01 pm

The entire commentary team for PBF v Cotto and Manny v Bradley.

Both fights needed watching on mute they were so shockingly called.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm

No example.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm confused, surely that's two I just gave?

Did you want name, DOB, social security number etc for each team member?

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:29 pm

Bob Sheridan.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:39 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Bob Sheridan.

"Oh my God! Look at this! Huckerby comes in with a challenge to Truss, can the big American recover!!?? I don't know if he can, folks! Will Rowley be able to contain himself upon seeing my name, the Colonel, mentioned here? I don't think he will, folks!!! We're gonna make it, we're gonna make it to fifty replies on this thread I think - yes we are! OH MY GOD!!!"
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:43 am

Laugh Halfway there now.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:52 am

The issue with Sky?

Jim Watt. He is the most negative man to listen to. There's no balance to what he's saying.

There were snippets of things said that could have been lifted from the Mayweather v Hatton fight that I heard him say - I counted a number of times where he was blaming the ref for not allowing the fight "to be fluid" and "stopping the action"... I counted a couple of slight infringements that he warned about and nothing more.

Overall though, it's a common trait for ANY British Broadcaster to "play the victim" during sports - Jim Watt plays on it just as much as ITV/BBC do during International Football (England are "victims" of the ref).

Rees was overmatched, there's no doubt about it, but as others have said - He came to fight (He done an awful lot better against one of the most talented fighters at the moment compared to Lockett in the same arena against Pavlik a few years ago).

Were the odds right? Yes, but luckily for Gavin it isn't a career ending fight and judging by the comments made by Dougie Fischer, Al Bernstein and the sort - Gavin Rees HAS made fans in the US.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:53 am

88Chris05 wrote:

"Oh my God! Look at this! Huckerby comes in with a challenge to Truss, can the big American recover!!?? I don't know if he can, folks! Will Rowley be able to contain himself upon seeing my name, the Colonel, mentioned here? I don't think he will, folks!!! We're gonna make it, we're gonna make it to fifty replies on this thread I think - yes we are! OH MY GOD!!!"

That's a Meg Ryan impression if ever I've heard one!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:57 am

bhb001 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:

That's a Meg Ryan impression if ever I've heard one!!

Here's another...."What the hell happened to my FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:03 am

Two examples of what???.........

Why are people so thick...........

I'm asking you to name a British commentator that tries to commentate on a fight without being completely partial...

I've mentioned Clancy, Ryan............who did..

No wonder you always need helping out over here..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:05 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm asking you to name a British commentator that tries to commentate on a fight without being completely partial...

Richie Woodhall?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 am

You can't name one..............

Ryan, Albert, Clancy all commented on the fight.........

Jim Watt.. "The good news".....Reg Gutteridge "He's done him"..Harry Carpenter "He's already done better than Spinks against this Man" (after 90 seconds)...

I don't appreciate biased commentary.....................it's inherent over here...

Commentators need to commentate on the action....and stop cheerleading.

Butch Harmon was fair in the Ryder cup...Monty was a disgrace......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:12 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Two examples of what???.........

Why are people so thick...........

I'm asking you to name a British commentator that tries to commentate on a fight without being completely partial...

I've mentioned Clancy, Ryan............who did..

No wonder you always need helping out over here..

I said US commentary teams were as bad as Brits. If you wanted examples of 'good' Brits why didn't you ask for that? Stop being a plum.

<EDIT> Reading back it appears maybe you did. It's a struggle to tell since your Yank regurgitation of the English language and grammar is so awful.

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:14 am

88Chris05 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm asking you to name a British commentator that tries to commentate on a fight without being completely partial...

Richie Woodhall?

Good shout, I'd say Enzo Mac and Paul Smith on BoxNation call it pretty even as well.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:14 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I don't appreciate biased commentary.....................it's inherent over here...

Commentators need to commentate on the action....and stop cheerleading.

It's inherent everywhere. INCLUDING YOUR PRECIOUS U S OF A!!

I gave two examples of horrifically bad US commentary teams. Agree the basic premise of your argument but stop trying to be a nationalistic tool about it and pretending it's a Brit thing only. Not unexpected from you but tedious all the same.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:17 am

Bore off..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:18 am

I was asking for British commentators that tried to be fair!!

Note to self..Dumb it down for Tophat next time!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:19 am

Broken Record

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:19 am

hampo171 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:

Richie Woodhall?

Good shout, I'd say Enzo Mac and Paul Smith on BoxNation call it pretty even as well.

Laugh

Paul, I have a feeling Chris was being sarcastic with Ritchie Woodhall. At least I hope he was. Woodhall is about the most uneven and Brit-centric commentator out there.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I was asking for British commentators that tried to be fair!!

Note to self..Dumb it down for Tophat next time!!

Note the edit.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:21 am

Well still feel free to answer the question...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:25 am

I can definitely confirm that sarcasm played a big part in that post, Tino!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 am

What's WRONG with it, Jesus.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:28 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Well still feel free to answer the question...........

Enzo Mac.

Not that's it's relevant.

For a country that educated you, houses you and employs you you do like to make out your homeland is that much more perfect.

Thankfully it's such old dross on here nobody pays you as much attention these days.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:31 am

Well you keep replying......

You must like old dross!! now sling it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:33 am

88Chris05 wrote:I can definitely confirm that sarcasm played a big part in that post, Tino!

I figured as much!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:34 am

To anyone with a brain.. I'm pointing out the differences between American and British commentary.............

Already said I prefer the legal and Healthcare systems in your Country.....

Never said America was perfect either...

Don't be too sensitive...It's unbecoming!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:36 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
hampo171 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:

Richie Woodhall?

Laugh

Paul, I have a feeling Chris was being sarcastic with Ritchie Woodhall. At least I hope he was. Woodhall is about the most uneven and Brit-centric commentator out there.

When I've watched the WSB he doesn't seem to bad to be honest, however due to the man flu I'm current suffering wtih I could be mistaken. vomit

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:39 am

Imagine If Woodhall was back in the day....predicting

Dave boy Green ko 3 Ray Leonard

Richard Dunn w15 Muhammad Ali

Alan Minter ko 1 Marvin Hagler..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:40 am

Whose the American who does Channel 5 by the way? That guy is one of the worst pundits I've listened to, he sells Fury like the second coming of Ali, Marciano, Holmes and Frazier rolled in to one.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next