The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lee Byrne signs for Clermont Auvergne

2 posters

Go down

Lee Byrne signs for Clermont Auvergne Empty Lee Byrne signs for Clermont Auvergne

Post by Adam D Tue 01 Feb 2011, 5:03 pm

Wales full-back Lee Byrne will join Clermont Auvergne on a three-year deal from the Ospreys.

Byrne had a year to run on his Ospreys deal but the region have accepted compensation from the French club.

"This was too good an opportunity for me to turn down at this stage of my career and I'm excited about what the future holds," said Byrne.

His move came less than a week after fellow Osprey James Hook confirmed a three-year deal with Perpignan.

Including Gavin Henson (Saracens), three British and Irish Lions will have left the Ospreys this season.

The Ospreys also tried to keep Henson on their books, but later indicated they would be open to offers for the 30-year-old.
Provided Byrne is named in Wales' squad for the 2011 World Cup, he will make his Clermont debut in the Top 14 after the tournament is over.

Ospreys managing director Mike Cuddy said: "First and foremost, the Ospreys are about developing local talent, and producing players not only for the region, but for the national team also.

"As such, it is extremely disappointing to lose a player who hails from the region, and who has been, and continues to be, an excellent servant to the Ospreys.
"Our determination to keep Lee at the Ospreys meant that we fought hard to keep him here, turning down a similar request 12 months ago.
"But unfortunately, the circumstances are such that we now find ourselves in this position where we have reluctantly agreed to release Lee, given his desire to take on a fresh challenge following the Rugby World Cup later this year.
"We would not have seen much of Lee next season, when he will be 31, and for him to have the security of a three-year contract and the change of lifestyle that this move will allow him is a fantastic personal opportunity and we wish him the best of luck. "

source: BBC website full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ospreys/9383265.stm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Lee Byrne signs for Clermont Auvergne Empty Re: Lee Byrne signs for Clermont Auvergne

Post by Mick(TEFC) Fri 11 Mar 2011, 8:04 pm

Looks like Lee will be understudy to Floch, with Baby moving on to Bayonne,perhaps;may also peruade Ickle Shane to come with him :run1:
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down