The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edwin Valero

4 posters

Go down

Edwin Valero  Empty Edwin Valero

Post by Rich1066 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 2:00 pm

Afternoon folks,

As it was pay day today I treated myself to a few careers on DVD. As he has had to retire I have got michael katsidis, what a true warrior of the sport (sorry Froch someone else has that title!) Micky ward and someone who I had never given much though to Edwin Valero.

He seems to be a bit of a enigma evoking strong emotions for against his skills as a boxer. 27 wins, 27 ko's, 18 in the first round. Granted his level of opponent was poor but where do you rate him. Had the tragic circumstances leading to his arrest not happened where could his career gone?

Thoughts gentleman?

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Edwin Valero  Empty Re: Edwin Valero

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 2:08 pm

Dont you mean "The tragic circumstances leading to his death"?

He was a bloody explosive fighter with a "Pacquiao" element i believe.

What i mean is that he was exceptionally quick, good footwork, power and weird angled shots.

His problem was just that.

NO DEFENCE.

Had he fought against the likes of Broner or JMM, he would have looked pretty stupid.

Pacquiao was found out against JMM, who proceeded to whoop him based on pure boxing technique as opposed to blatant aggression with no thought towards defending his face.

Brandon Rios is very similar, and he was found out again by a "boxer" in Abril.

I suspect he would have gone on to world honours, but I do not think he would have lasted long unless he was managed and matched to perfection.

(See Manny Pacquiao)

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 2:18 pm

Good fighter, but overhyped right before his death in my eyes. Come early 2010 there was even some whispers about him being matched with Pacquiao - and for Valero's biggest fans it should come as a relief that it never happened, because at that time Manny would have knocked ten bells out of him, for my money.

Terrific puncher, and clearly a hard lad, but the problem was that he traded on those two qualities hugely and, as history shows, such gung-ho operators with no regard for defence almost always run in to someone that little bit harder, more dangerous and quicker than themselves eventually (see Cuevas-Hearns as an example of this!).

Who knows, maybe he'd have developed further had his career not come to an end so suddenly, and his performance against De Marco was not to be sniffed at in any way, but I'd have a hard time seeing Valero as anything other than a slightly cut-price version of Rosario for his own era; good, very good perhaps, but likely to struggle against the pure boxers.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich1066 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 2:27 pm

Mobile- yes that is a better way to put it. I think the whole situation was tragic.

I agree against Pacquiao he would have been made to look stupid and I suspect get knocked out. Haven't seen many of his fights before so will watch through them and come back my final assessment

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 2:29 pm

Rich1066 wrote:Mobile- yes that is a better way to put it. I think the whole situation was tragic.

I agree against Pacquiao he would have been made to look stupid and I suspect get knocked out. Haven't seen many of his fights before so will watch through them and come back my final assessment

Enjoy. There brutal! OK

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 25 Feb 2013, 5:38 pm

He was a better boxer than he showed a lot of the time because he could just walk through people a bit and rely on his chin and his power because the opposition wasn't great up until De Marco. Would have been interesting to see what happened when he met someone who could take that brutal power and fire back or someone who could outbox him for large periods. His career was always going to suffer from him being a complete nut case though and I suspect if he ever made big big money he would have quit training and started partying.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down