The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who should Mayweather fight in his next 6 fights?

+7
RanjitPatel
azania
Imperial Ghosty
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
sweet_pea
All Time Great
11 posters

Go down

Who should Mayweather fight in his next 6 fights? Empty Who should Mayweather fight in his next 6 fights?

Post by All Time Great Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:56 pm

So apparently Mayweather has a contract with Showtime for 6 fights in a 30 month period. That equates to one fight for every 5 months. Let's assume the contract starts in May 2013.

1. May 2013 Vs. Roberto Guerrero

Already signed, sealed and delivered. A good fight where the Ghost may well be competitive and could present a problem for Floyd.

2. September 2013 vs. Saul Canelo Alvarez

Probably the most anticipated match up in boxing today. At 154lbs Canelo will be the younger, bigger and stronger man albeit, the significantly more inexperienced fighter. If Floyd could get through this fight whilst putting on a high class display he may well become a fixture in anyone's top 15 All time P4P lists.

3. May 2014 vs. Timothy Bradley

After two gruelling fights, no one can blame Floyd for taking a somewhat easier fight against the undefeated Bradley. Bradley, the younger man is skilled enough to offer Floyd a challenge however, in most people's eyes this will be a shut out for Floyd.

4. September 2014 vs. Manny Pacquiao

The fight everyone "wanted" to see five years ago. Floyd now at 37 will have slowed and this may well also be Manny Pacquiao's retirement fight. With a lot less to lose from both parties, this may actually be a better spectacle than if it happened 5 years ago. Again, expect Floyd to take this with a shut out victory.

5. May 2015 vs. Sergio Martinez

Now both will be well their twilight years but I feel this will be the defining fight for Floyd's legacy as a Top 10 ATG.

6. September 2015. Vs. Amir Khan

Ideally it would be against Adrian Broner who will most likely be the leading welterweight at this time, but we all know this fight isn't going to happen. However, Mayweather goes out by defeating a significantly younger fighter who is in the prime of his career. If Floyd can still do at 38 what he's been doing since he was 21, there could be an argument he belongs with this the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali, Henry Armstrong and Joe Louis.

Which 6 fights and which order would everyone want to see? Obviously a lot of assumptions given how the above fighters careers pan out over the next 2 years.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Who should Mayweather fight in his next 6 fights? Empty Re: Who should Mayweather fight in his next 6 fights?

Post by sweet_pea Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:05 pm

All Time Great wrote:So apparently Mayweather has a contract with Showtime for 6 fights in a 30 month period. That equates to one fight for every 5 months. Let's assume the contract starts in May 2013.

1. May 2013 Vs. Roberto Guerrero

Already signed, sealed and delivered. A good fight where the Ghost may well be competitive and could present a problem for Floyd.

2. September 2013 vs. Saul Canelo Alvarez

Probably the most anticipated match up in boxing today. At 154lbs Canelo will be the younger, bigger and stronger man albeit, the significantly more inexperienced fighter. If Floyd could get through this fight whilst putting on a high class display he may well become a fixture in anyone's top 15 All time P4P lists.

3. May 2014 vs. Timothy Bradley

After two gruelling fights, no one can blame Floyd for taking a somewhat easier fight against the undefeated Bradley. Bradley, the younger man is skilled enough to offer Floyd a challenge however, in most people's eyes this will be a shut out for Floyd.

4. September 2014 vs. Manny Pacquiao

The fight everyone "wanted" to see five years ago. Floyd now at 37 will have slowed and this may well also be Manny Pacquiao's retirement fight. With a lot less to lose from both parties, this may actually be a better spectacle than if it happened 5 years ago. Again, expect Floyd to take this with a shut out victory.

5. May 2015 vs. Sergio Martinez

Now both will be well their twilight years but I feel this will be the defining fight for Floyd's legacy as a Top 10 ATG.

6. September 2015. Vs. Amir Khan

Ideally it would be against Adrian Broner who will most likely be the leading welterweight at this time, but we all know this fight isn't going to happen. However, Mayweather goes out by defeating a significantly younger fighter who is in the prime of his career. If Floyd can still do at 38 what he's been doing since he was 21, there could be an argument he belongs with this the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali, Henry Armstrong and Joe Louis.

Which 6 fights and which order would everyone want to see? Obviously a lot of assumptions given how the above fighters careers pan out over the next 2 years.

deserves a big LOL. guerrero poses no problems for floyd whatsoever, go back and watch berto land rights at will with no eyes.

canelo could pose problems

tim bradley wont happen - top rank fighter.

sergio martinez will be into his 40's in 2015, and i cant see him making 154 easily then.

amir khan - needs rebuilding, so lets see how he is in the next 12mnth or so.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Who should Mayweather fight in his next 6 fights? Empty Re: Who should Mayweather fight in his next 6 fights?

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 pm

I think it's a bit pointless trying to look any further than twelve months and / or two fights ahead, to be honest. Come 2014 onwards, who knows what names will be viable and what names won't? It's practically impossible to predict what the landscape at Welter / Light-Middle will be looking like nearer the end of that time frame, and you can pretty much guarantee that some names being talked up as a Floyd opponent will be totally off the radar within a year or so, while others who aren't even thought of now will end up being fights in demand for him.

Right now, if he beats Guerrero, then there's the obvious one - the winner of Alvarez versus Trout (I actually think it'll be the latter, but there you go). After that, who knows. I'm not even particularly sure that Floyd will go for the Alvarez option were he to surprise me against Trout, to be honest.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Hate to put a spanner in the thread but beyond Alvarez it's pretty much pointless to say who SHOULd be his opponent with the way that boxing changes all the time. Say Bradley loses his next fight, then what?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:19 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I think it's a bit pointless trying to look any further than twelve months and / or two fights ahead, to be honest. Come 2014 onwards, who knows what names will be viable and what names won't? It's practically impossible to predict what the landscape at Welter / Light-Middle will be looking like nearer the end of that time frame, and you can pretty much guarantee that some names being talked up as a Floyd opponent will be totally off the radar within a year or so, while others who aren't even thought of now will end up being fights in demand for him.

Right now, if he beats Guerrero, then there's the obvious one - the winner of Alvarez versus Trout (I actually think it'll be the latter, but there you go). After that, who knows. I'm not even particularly sure that Floyd will go for the Alvarez option were he to surprise me against Trout, to be honest.

Yeah basically agree.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Hate to put a spanner in the thread but beyond Alvarez it's pretty much pointless to say who SHOULd be his opponent with the way that boxing changes all the time. Say Bradley loses his next fight, then what?

Nothing wrong with showing some forthright thinking. In 30 months time Amir Khan may well of rebuilt his career with 3 or 4 wins.

In addition, at this level of boxing, 2 years is not a long time. I'd be surprised if Bradley would of had more than two fights by May 2014. Odds are, he will most likely still be undefeated by then.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:59 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I think it's a bit pointless trying to look any further than twelve months and / or two fights ahead, to be honest. Come 2014 onwards, who knows what names will be viable and what names won't? It's practically impossible to predict what the landscape at Welter / Light-Middle will be looking like nearer the end of that time frame, and you can pretty much guarantee that some names being talked up as a Floyd opponent will be totally off the radar within a year or so, while others who aren't even thought of now will end up being fights in demand for him.

As above, boxing is a very static sport at the top level. It can be reasonably straight forward to predict how the next 12 - 18 months will pan out. Of course, Trout has all the tools to defeat Canelo but a betting man (and virtually every bookmaker) would have Canelo as a reasonablly strong favourite.

I think the point I'm trying to get across, the above 6 (if they are still undefeated over the next 18 - 24 months, which I think they will be) would be a real challenge for Floyd which would cement his legacy as one of the best fighters of all time.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Not easy at all, if all had gone to plan Khan would be facing Mayweather next and not Guerrero, Martinez is getting to the end of his career so doubt he'll still be around come 2015. Bradley should feasibly have a defeat to Pacquiao on his record, while that very man has now lost two on the trot including a brutal KO loss. Alvarez has Trout up next, a fight many are predicting he'll lose. Not sure which part of all this is straight forward to predict.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 pm

No Trout who will beat Canelo?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 pm

I can't see him fighting 6 times. All depends on how old he looks against Guerrero though I suppose. 2 or 3 at the most.
Canelo, Trout and Martinez are risks that he doesn't need to take at this stage of his career, just too big. Even though the 1st fight was pretty conclusive I wouldn't be surprised if Marquez had a rematch.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 am

If Floyd fights 6 times in 30 months, I'll offer to jump in the ring with him.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 am

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:If Floyd fights 6 times in 30 months, I'll offer to jump in the ring with him.
You must've been his cellmate in prison Shocked

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:48 pm

I can't see Floyd having more than 2 fights until he retires but anyway:

1- Guerrero
2- Alvarez
3- Alexander/Brook winner (if still champ)
4- Manny
5- Khan (if still relevant)
6- Bradley (if still champ)

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri May 31, 2013 12:07 am

Looks like I've got it right so far...

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri May 31, 2013 1:18 am

Yeh good job ATG... you've got one opponent right. Can I have your tip for the derby?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri May 31, 2013 10:08 pm

milkyboy wrote:Yeh good job ATG... you've got one opponent right. Can I have your tip for the derby?

Dawn Approach just needs to turn up.

Mars as a good EW bet.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down