The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline?

+22
Gee
hampo17
Imperial Ghosty
Sam_London
Lumbering_Jack
Makaveli
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
BoxingFan88
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
Union Cane
TRUSSMAN66
seanmichaels
Rick James
Valero's Conscience
ShahenshahG
Mr Bounce
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Rodney
eddyfightfan
KO-KING
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who have you got

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Vote_lcap31%Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 11 ]
Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Vote_lcap54%Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 19 ]
Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Vote_lcap0%Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Vote_lcap14%Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 35

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Empty Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline?

Post by KO-KING Tue 26 Feb 2013, 11:49 pm

What are the realistic chances of diaz, disappointed with the fight was hoping for lopez

Khan TKO 7.

"There are a lot weaknesses," Diaz said. "He can't take a punch and when he gets overwhelmed he tends to panic too much. I aim to make it a brawl. I won't be too technical or too pretty but it will be a real fight."

Diaz is set to step out of his comfort zone, with the fight to take place at 143lb, in order to get a shot at Khan.

"Of course I would have preferred 147 but I am not in a position to force it because I wanted the opportunity to fight Khan," Diaz said. "My last fight was at 146 so it's another three pounds only."
Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/194880.html#vpYZ3MZTMjAP5pl9.99
-----------------------

Does anyone else feel he has been on the decline since the Judah fight, I have said it before, his upper body is too big, needs to go back with Ariza.

Last edited by KO-KING on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 11:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Empty Re: Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline?

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:12 am

another "confidence builder" for khan, a step up from molina, but not a great fight. diaz has lost against most of the top fighters he's faced.

not that i blame khan for rebuilding slowly, he is young and just got a new trainer. he has flaws to iron out and seems to be doing so.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? Empty Re: Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline?

Post by Rodney Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:48 am

I'd be surprised if they shift all the tickets for this, really disappointing matchup, isn't going to tell us anything new about Khan and a complete mismatch if you ask me.

I would even rather him face Prescott to see if he can erase that mark against his resume and at least would show he can stick a plan.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:09 pm

Brutal matchup of the highest order!!!!!!!!

Diaz was mean't to be fighting Paul McClumsy before Corely replaced him.........and even boxing fans went crazy at Diaz being a pathetic matchup for MCCLOSKEY!!!!

Khan should be ashamed. Its like Barerra all over again. Back to the cherrypicking valley.

Why doesn't he just carry on fighting world class fighters, if he is a world class fighter he should stick to the route he was on, now he is fighting a blown up lightweight and a fighter who if you wanted to see his best days you would need to get the telescope out.

Khan should have retired when Az told him him too Whistle
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:12 pm

Whilst I don't really agree with the choice of opponent, at least Khan is keeping busy...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:14 pm

Rodney wrote:I'd be surprised if they shift all the tickets for this, really disappointing matchup, isn't going to tell us anything new about Khan and a complete mismatch if you ask me.

I would even rather him face Prescott to see if he can erase that mark against his resume and at least would show he can stick a plan.

Cheers Rodders

agree

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:21 pm

Prescott fight should have been the one.

The ultimate confidence booster. Would have sold out in minutes and Khan could have played a blinder.

The Garcia loss would be a distant memory and the next move would have been major.

I know Prescott ain't world class, but he is "fringe" so to speak.

What does this fight do for Khan really?? Diaz is unknown to most and the people who do know who he is know the state Holt left him in a few years back, so maybe they can bill this as Battle of the china chins
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm

Could have took advantage of Olusagan coming off a loss, Ajose would have jumped at the chance.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:32 pm

Khan tried 6 opponents before this and all declined. Guess this is a last resort.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:44 pm

Bad match-making IMO. This inspires no one to have any interest. I understand that this is another tune-up fight but for somoene who put himself with the elite this doesn't look good.

If other declined he should of booked Prescott. I know he's a banger but Khan should have too much for him and Khan has a very good chance to avenge all his losses and this a perfect starting point which will also gain interest in the UK.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:47 pm

I wonder who the 6 fighters (all better than Diaz) were
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick James Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:54 pm

I'm more interested in the venue than opponent. As Shah states, Khan's team say they tried to look for better position, and also as Eddy says, he is in the rebuilding stage of his career.

I find it strange that they are hosting this in Sheffield. Unless of course it has anything to do with building towards a showdown with Brook in the not so distant future.

Anyone have insight on the choice of venue?

Rick James

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:10 pm

Rick James wrote:

I'd guess it is to do with the Pakistani following in the southwest Yorkshire region.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:42 pm

I thought it might be the first stage of goldenboys move into Europe.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:43 pm

Not interested in this fight...

Either fight Petersen, Garcia or Prescott..or take a hike..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:47 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:I thought it might be the first stage of goldenboys move into Europe.

It's just that, Anthony Ogogo makes his debut on the undercard, as does Haroon Khan.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not interested in this fight...

Either fight Petersen, Garcia or Prescott..or take a hike..

Why oh why Khan hasn't taken the opportunity to avenge Prescott I do not know. A limited fighter and an easy fight to build.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

Rick James wrote:

Am only speculating but would guess the fact it is near where I live would have been a deciding factor.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Could have took advantage of Olusagan coming off a loss, Ajose would have jumped at the chance.

Don't think that would end well for Khan if i'm honest...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:52 pm

Rowley wrote:
Rick James wrote:

Am only speculating but would guess the fact it is near where I live would have been a deciding factor.

Naz must have recommended your lapdance.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:15 pm

Wonderful match up. This allows Khan to showcase his skills under Hunter and to entertain aloud bBritish public who haven't seen him since he fought that idiot.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:18 pm

Not subtle even by your standards Az

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:27 pm

It is a very good match up. He's obviously chinny and has a new trainer who is showing him new things. Why put him in with a puncher who could spoil everything? All those who want him in with a puncher know zip about boxing and business.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:52 pm

Don't know what's Khan motive is, is he moving up to welterweight or is he staying at lightwelter. Is there any reason why this has to be done at 143?

THe other 6 mentioned, i know 2 of which where Lopez and Senchenko and they couldn't get below 145 and 146 respectively but Khan wanted it at 143. Bloody hell its 7 pounds the jump to WW, whats he playing at

Add to it that Diaz is pretty rubbish. A natural lightweight who was apoor excuse of a world champion and only a year or 2 ago he lost by KO to Holt inside 4. His record would suggest he punches hard, but he hasn't knocked out or hurt any of the better opponents on his resume and most of those were at lightweight

I could understand Molina as a relationship builder between him and Hunter but he's had enough time to step it up a bit and stop flirting around these types of opponents

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Wed 27 Feb 2013, 4:51 pm

Good afternoon everybody, long time reader (very long time reader as i used to read this forum on the bbc afew years ago), first time poster though. feeling a tad intimidated by posting on this board, as things can get quite heated at times lol aswel as what im about to say is going to be a bit controversial.

Now for the main point, Ive been following boxing since i was about 12 years old, am currently 23 and of course living in a highly populated pakistani community, the only time people around here will talk about boxing is when Mr Khan is due to fight, from their response i actually think Amir picks the opponents because he can get away with it. What i mean to say is, when the molina and mcloskey fights were announced, i remember telling people these guys are nothing special they should be easy wins for khan, theyve got no power to hurt him, but becasue of their lack of knowledge, their responses wer "oh his undefeated how bad an opponent can he be". Its quite clear to see he has decided to take an easy route to making money, and protect his record. i said "he" when i should have said him and his team as choice of opponent is a collective decision. anyways i see this fight as pointless and nothing more than just a quick money making fight, presumibly making a quick few bucks to spend on his weddin which isnt soon after this fight.

I started off liking khan, at the start of his career, but i think since the prescott fight bar maidonna he has taken an easy option, he is a guy with a tremendous skillset, without a shadow of a doubt, he has excellent hand speed, foot work and as the kotelnik fight showed reflexes also, but he isnt really testing those skills against the right people, by taking fights that will not tell us or him anything new about himself, as people have rightly said why not rematch prescott rather than fight a no namer, admittdly prescott isnt exactly the same class as people like mathyse or peterson or alexander but his alot better than diaz or molina and mcloskey (which any sensible person would tell you was a robbery, as prescott was a clear winner in that fight)

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 27 Feb 2013, 4:56 pm

Union Cane wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:I thought it might be the first stage of goldenboys move into Europe.

It's just that, Anthony Ogogo makes his debut on the undercard, as does Haroon Khan.

I think the question was why Sheffield and not the O2, MEM or Bolton.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:04 pm

One simple answer Sean may be that the Sheffield Arena is smaller. The O2 is 20,000 I believe and the MEN is not too much shy of that, Sheffield holds around 12,000 give or take.

Welcome aboard by the way Mak.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:07 pm

seanmichaels wrote:I think the question was why Sheffield and not the O2, MEM or Bolton.

My mistake.

Presumably the fight has to be on 27th April to coincide with Garcia / Judah.

Pink is playing at the O2 that evening.

James are playing the MEN. Oh sit down.

Not sure Amir is welcome at Bolton any more after this...

Spoiler:

So it was a toss up between Sheffield and Brentwood Leisure Centre.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

Its a fight in which Khan will showcase what Hunter has taught him. He shouldn't be going in there with someone who will spark him out just yet.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:18 pm

azania wrote:Its a fight in which Khan will showcase what Hunter has taught him. He shouldn't be going in there with someone who will spark him out just yet.

Not sure why boxing fans settle for fights which are clearly one sided. All this confidence building chatter is a load of Love sacks.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm

Canelo has made a career out of it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:21 pm

Thanks Rowley

I understand that he does need a fight to showcase what he has learnt under Hunter, however it does not mean he should face somebody who has got very little chance of actually testing the reason he actually went to train with Hunter in the firstplace. Agreed he shouldnt take on someone who will spark him out jus yet, but i dont think prescott would do that this time around, the first time around Amir rushed in, and anybody not just Amir, taking a shot like that, going forward in that manner would have gone down. i think prescotts power is overrated, weve seen him afew times now since khan, when has he really shown real KO power, realisticly.

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:23 pm

Anyone who fights Khan has a chance of winning. A clip on the whiskers will see to that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:32 pm

If you said that afew years ago, i would have agreed with you, however im going to have to disagree with you for the reason, being, although he was stunned by maidonna he still didnt go down, petersons gave him some shots that would have put people away he took them, Garcias hook, was on the neck more than the chin, jus like the shot david price took on satarday it was on the neck more than the chin, so i dont think we can call khan chinny if im honest.

And i thought the whole point of going to hunter was to work on defence and avoid getting tagged, now if his not in against people who will actually test attack him, how are we going to see if his learnt anything from unter?

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:32 pm

sorry i meant hunter

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:45 pm

Makaveli wrote:If you said that afew years ago, i would have agreed with you, however im going to have to disagree with you for the reason, being, although he was stunned by maidonna he still didnt go down, petersons gave him some shots that would have put people away he took them, Garcias hook, was on the neck more than the chin, jus like the shot david price took on satarday it was on the neck more than the chin, so i dont think we can call khan chinny if im honest.

And i thought the whole point of going to hunter was to work on defence and avoid getting tagged, now if his not in against people who will actually test attack him, how are we going to see if his learnt anything from unter?

Lets not kid ourselves. Khan is a great great offensive fighter. But he does have durability issues. Gomez, Limond decked him. Even in his last fight his legs stiffened when he was hit. Trying to rebuild a career means you keep away from skilled punchers until you have learned how to deal with them.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 27 Feb 2013, 6:58 pm

Was the fight against the little tiny Molina not a good enough tune up then??

Funny it's happening in the Motorpoint Arena, maybe they realised that Khan hasn't even got a fan base in his own backyard so they go to Brooks haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:05 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Was the fight against the little tiny Molina not a good enough tune up then??

Funny it's happening in the Motorpoint Arena, maybe they realised that Khan hasn't even got a fan base in his own backyard so they go to Brooks haha

Hunter knows better than you evidently. He wants Khan to have another tune up to put what he's learnt into practice. Khan gets paid more than Brook which for a boxer is more important. OK

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:38 pm

Hi everyone, new member here. I actually think that this fight is going to be tougher than most people expect. Diaz is a very experienced fighter who has a bit of a dig on him. Ok, he may be past his peak but he knows his best chance of winning is to force the action so it could end up being quite an entertaining scrap.

I like Amir Khan and hope he does well but you never know what's going to happen once he gets hit on the chin. I hope he gets to fight Garcia again after this fight.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:48 pm

Amir Khan will meet Julio Diaz at Sheffield's Motorpoint Arena on April 27 in what will be his first fight on UK soil for two years.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/195170.html#9PCFGDq2jyObT5A4.99

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:28 pm

Az defending what is a very very poor choice of opponent, he's not going to learn anything fighting guys who can't trouble him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:30 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Az defending what is a very very poor choice of opponent, he's not going to learn anything fighting guys who can't trouble him.

this, wont criticise khan due to his previous competition, but I expected better, this just a confidence building fight, maybe hunter wants more time, dont see khan staying at 140 much longer

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:54 pm

azania wrote:Wonderful match up. This allows Khan to showcase his skills under Hunter and to entertain aloud bBritish public who haven't seen him since he fought that idiot.

Yep so wonderful watching a mismatch and a fighter that even his trainer doesn't have any confidence in his jaw, Amir's in the wrong game if he wants to spend the rest of his career fighting non punchers, HBO wouldnt have put up with this choice.

I don't buy that Khans chin is THAT bad, yeah it's not the best but lets face it he got caught off 2 howitzers in terms of those by Garcia and Prescott, when you commit yourself like Khan does its bound spell the odd catasophre.

It's a dreadful matchup and one of someone of Khans talent shouldn't be having at a crucial part of his career! Pointless

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:04 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Az defending what is a very very poor choice of opponent, he's not going to learn anything fighting guys who can't trouble him.

The guy is probably a glorified punch bag and rightfully so. Hunter probably wants to see what Khan has learnt in practice being played out competitively.

Obviously a one round blow out wont do much and Diaz is pretty durable so he should last a few rounds. Its all about learning and confidence.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:07 pm

Az that should be showed in the gym though surely? He should be showing improvements in sparring and when they step in to the ring be able to put the game plan in to action.

I'm surprised he hasn't gone straight up to 147, seems strange to have this at a weight of 143. He could have gone after Paulie Malignaggi, he would have fought over here and it would have been much bigger.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:07 pm

Rodney wrote:
azania wrote:Wonderful match up. This allows Khan to showcase his skills under Hunter and to entertain aloud bBritish public who haven't seen him since he fought that idiot.

Yep so wonderful watching a mismatch and a fighter that even his trainer doesn't have any confidence in his jaw, Amir's in the wrong game if he wants to spend the rest of his career fighting non punchers, HBO wouldnt have put up with this choice.

I don't buy that Khans chin is THAT bad, yeah it's not the best but lets face it he got caught off 2 howitzers in terms of those by Garcia and Prescott, when you commit yourself like Khan does its bound spell the odd catasophre.

It's a dreadful matchup and one of someone of Khans talent shouldn't be having at a crucial part of his career! Pointless

Cheers Rodders

Who says he wants to spend the rest of his career fighting non punchers? What has chased the best and fought all the best with the exception of Bradley.

It's not just his chin. I've ben saying for a while now that Khan needs to learn how to jab properly to keep opponents at bay and to set things up. He started doing that against Molina.

A loss now will finish him. I can bet you that Price's next fight will be against some Polish bum picked off a building sight just to build his confidence up. Rightfully so.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:08 pm

hampo171 wrote:Az that should be showed in the gym though surely? He should be showing improvements in sparring and when they step in to the ring be able to put the game plan in to action.

I'm surprised he hasn't gone straight up to 147, seems strange to have this at a weight of 143. He could have gone after Paulie Malignaggi, he would have fought over here and it would have been much bigger.

Fighting in the gym and in an arean for the real thing are very different. In the gm the sparring partner hits you, he backs off. I reckon he should stay at 140. Fight Garcia, Bradley and Peterson. Then school Lucas.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:17 pm

Whats he going to learn fighting guys who'll have his own way with, I didn't see anything different in his Molina performance.

You're a fan of Khan Az, but to say its a wonderful match up is borderline insanity. Put him in with a puncher and let's see if Hunter has brought discipline into his game, he learns nothing and grows older fighting sub par opponents.

Ricky Hatton took on stiffer opposition, 3 years after being knocked out cold, a thousand kebabs and Guinness and scarface proportions of coke up his nostrils.

Garbage matchup

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:18 pm

Joke fight and you know it Az.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:21 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Joke fight and you know it Az.

It shouldn't be a competitive fight for many reasons. Khan is never going to fight a big name anywhere but USA. That's where the money is made.

This fight is designed (imo) to see what Khan has learned from Hunter and how he applies it in the real heat of a fight. In that case it makes perfect sense. From what I've sen of Hunter he looks a real student of boxing and training. He will not let Khan off the leash until HE feels Khan is ready and wins. I reckon one more mark time fight and then go after a name.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next