The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline?

+22
Gee
hampo17
Imperial Ghosty
Sam_London
Lumbering_Jack
Makaveli
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
BoxingFan88
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
Union Cane
TRUSSMAN66
seanmichaels
Rick James
Valero's Conscience
ShahenshahG
Mr Bounce
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Rodney
eddyfightfan
KO-KING
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who have you got

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Vote_lcap31%Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 11 ]
Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Vote_lcap54%Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 19 ]
Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 35

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Empty Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline?

Post by KO-KING Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

What are the realistic chances of diaz, disappointed with the fight was hoping for lopez

Khan TKO 7.

"There are a lot weaknesses," Diaz said. "He can't take a punch and when he gets overwhelmed he tends to panic too much. I aim to make it a brawl. I won't be too technical or too pretty but it will be a real fight."

Diaz is set to step out of his comfort zone, with the fight to take place at 143lb, in order to get a shot at Khan.

"Of course I would have preferred 147 but I am not in a position to force it because I wanted the opportunity to fight Khan," Diaz said. "My last fight was at 146 so it's another three pounds only."
Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/194880.html#vpYZ3MZTMjAP5pl9.99
-----------------------

Does anyone else feel he has been on the decline since the Judah fight, I have said it before, his upper body is too big, needs to go back with Ariza.

Last edited by KO-KING on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Empty Re: Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline?

Post by KO-KING Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Rodney wrote:Whats he going to learn fighting guys who'll have his own way with, I didn't see anything different in his Molina performance.

You're a fan of Khan Az, but to say its a wonderful match up is borderline insanity. Put him in with a puncher and let's see if Hunter has brought discipline into his game, he learns nothing and grows older fighting sub par opponents.

Ricky Hatton took on stiffer opposition, 3 years after being knocked out cold, a thousand kebabs and Guinness and scarface proportions of coke up his nostrils.

Garbage matchup

Cheers Rodders

in fairness to khan, he did want senchenko and lopez at 143/144, but those guys wouldnt come below 145/146

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Empty Re: Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline?

Post by Sam_London Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 pm

KO-KING wrote:
Rodney wrote:Whats he going to learn fighting guys who'll have his own way with, I didn't see anything different in his Molina performance.

You're a fan of Khan Az, but to say its a wonderful match up is borderline insanity. Put him in with a puncher and let's see if Hunter has brought discipline into his game, he learns nothing and grows older fighting sub par opponents.

Ricky Hatton took on stiffer opposition, 3 years after being knocked out cold, a thousand kebabs and Guinness and scarface proportions of coke up his nostrils.

Garbage matchup

Cheers Rodders

Limited options for Khan. I still think this could be a good fight. Diaz will want to go to war, as realistically that's his only chance. It'll make for great entertainment.

Does anyone know which weight Haroon Khan will be at?

in fairness to khan, he did want senchenko and lopez at 143/144, but those guys wouldnt come below 145/146

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Poor matchup. Khan wins and what do we learn? Nothing, that's what.

Fighting a glorified punching bag where Khan will have absolutely everything his own way won't tell us anything he may or may not have learned under Hunter. One thing is for certain that once Khan gets tagged he will revert to type. Hatton fooled most with a one sided beating of Malignaggi and then reverted to type as soon as Pacquiao connected, same will happen with Khan who goes into autopilot engage mode when things start heating up.

He won't do that against Diaz though as he's unlikely to get out of 2nd gear.

Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:39 pm

In fairness to Khan.. Rolling Eyes He wants Sevchenko what a surprise........

In fairness to Khan why isn't he looking to avenge some of his defeats????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Gee wrote:Poor matchup. Khan wins and what do we learn? Nothing, that's what.

Fighting a glorified punching bag where Khan will have absolutely everything his own way won't tell us anything he may or may not have learned under Hunter. One thing is for certain that once Khan gets tagged he will revert to type. Hatton fooled most with a one sided beating of Malignaggi and then reverted to type as soon as Pacquiao connected, same will happen with Khan who goes into autopilot engage mode when things start heating up.

He won't do that against Diaz though as he's unlikely to get out of 2nd gear.

To put into practice what he has learnt. Maybe when tagged he will learn not to duke it out. One thing though. He got criticised for holding Maidana lik he was his wife and got stick for not holding Garcia.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:43 pm

He can't change...It's his natural instinct....He's like Holyfield.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In fairness to Khan.. Rolling Eyes He wants Sevchenko what a surprise........

In fairness to Khan why isn't he looking to avenge some of his defeats????

He'd be there for a while Trussman.

But gave him Molina as a rebound fight, but Diaz? Not sure why he's not gone for damaged goods like Berto or something. Would make more sense in my eyes at least. Just appears that Hunter and co have near enough zero confidence in Khan and are just going to try and milk him until he gets knocked out again. Probably take on Gavin Rees next (no offence intended, just pointing out the level he's now fighting at).

Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Hatton was at the end of his career, khan is still young, he can change a little more than ricky.

Guys like berto wont come england, 'avenge his losses' Garcia already has a fight in place, peterson wont be ready in april, prescott has a fight with the undefeated prospect khabib allak.... 18-0,

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Nah. Khan takes on the best available usually. His resume is padded with decent fighters.

A simple question. Who would be a suitable opponent?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Its just a stay busy fight and a chance for golden boy to make some English pounds. Garcia and Khan must be nailed on for later this year.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:17 pm

Kell Brook.

Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Gee wrote:

Kell Brook.

he's fighting alexander??, he fights at 147, this is at 143, khan wants to be still able to make 140 after this fight which he feels he wont be able to do if he goes upto 147, fact of the matter was there were not many options available for khan to fight.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Totally agree, limited options for Khan so I'm not sure why people are complaining. How many decent opponents did Kell Brook have prior to the Alexander match up? I do think that Amir gets a hard time on this forum and gets judged a lot harsher than other British fighters.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:54 pm

Pointless fight from a fans perspective against man who is years past his peak and lost as many as he has won in recent times, but lets be honest Khan needs easy fights as he cant afford to lose again and anyone at LW of any note has a real chance of ending his career before another world title payday. Also show's to me that Hunter is not exactly completely confident in Khan's ability to take on the best, as a 2 time world champion in his prime he should not be fighting washed up lightweights in preparation for a future title shot. If he gets a shot on the back of this fight and slapping little Molina around it will be totally undeserved and show whats wrong with the sport today.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Gee wrote:

Kell Brook.

Ok brilliant. Kel should pull out of a world title shot to fight Khan at 143. Are you for real or just plucking any name from thin air?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Sam_London wrote:Totally agree, limited options for Khan so I'm not sure why people are complaining. How many decent opponents did Kell Brook have prior to the Alexander match up? I do think that Amir gets a hard time on this forum and gets judged a lot harsher than other British fighters.

Brook is not a 2 time world champion, more should be expected of Khan at this stage of his career.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:57 pm

hogey wrote:Pointless fight from a fans perspective against man who is years past his peak and lost as many as he has won in recent times, but lets be honest Khan needs easy fights as he cant afford to lose again and anyone at LW of any note has a real chance of ending his career before another world title payday. Also show's to me that Hunter is not exactly completely confident in Khan's ability to take on the best, as a 2 time world champion in his prime he should not be fighting washed up lightweights in preparation for a future title shot. If he gets a shot on the back of this fight and slapping little Molina around it will be totally undeserved and show whats wrong with the sport today.

So who should he fight?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 am

hogey wrote:
Sam_London wrote:Totally agree, limited options for Khan so I'm not sure why people are complaining. How many decent opponents did Kell Brook have prior to the Alexander match up? I do think that Amir gets a hard time on this forum and gets judged a lot harsher than other British fighters.

Brook is not a 2 time world champion, more should be expected of Khan at this stage of his career.

couldnt have said it better my self

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 am

None of us were privy to the negotiations, so we don't know who was approached to fight Khan. I just don't think he is the type of boxer who shirks a challenge.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 am

Brook may not have been a World Champion but has he fought anyone in the top twenty of his division prior to Alexander. Carson Jones is hardly a world beater.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:11 am

ive chuffed its in sheffield, my home town and i'll defo be going. khans young, and wants to earn a bit more money, so i dont really blame him for taking this kind of fight, one more loss and i think his credibility

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Why not have the fight in Manchester where all his supposed fans are??

Sounds like Amir "rent a fan" Khan needs the smaller arena because hes just not that big a draw.

Only fought Paul McUseless to get the Irish over to fill seats.

Can't see this fight selling out at all. Mike Jones might have been a good matchup.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Makaveli wrote:
hogey wrote:

couldnt have said it better my self

They have both neen pros pretty much the same length of time. So we can say that more should have been expected by Brook at this stage in his career. Much more. You cant say that about Khans whole career where he has stepped up to the plate far more often than most protected Brits.....like Brook.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Why not have the fight in Manchester where all his supposed fans are??

Sounds like Amir "rent a fan" Khan needs the smaller arena because hes just not that big a draw.

Only fought Paul McUseless to get the Irish over to fill seats.

Can't see this fight selling out at all. Mike Jones might have been a good matchup.

GBP make the decision and its basef on many factors including the availability of venues. But this will be a total sell out as many issue free Khan fans will want to see a great British fighter.

Jones lost his last fight by brutal ko. He will want to rebuild.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 pm

azania wrote: But this will be a total sell out as many issue free Khan fans will want to see a great British fighter.

Don’t be so sure Az, we’re a parsimonious bunch us Yorkshire folk.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm actually quite interested to see how Anthony Ogogo gets on, although I do realise that I won't be able make a judgement on his potential based on his first pro fight.

What do posters think about Ogogo's boxing abilities? Do they think he could make a good pro? What are his main attributes (speed, power defence etc)?

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Rowley wrote:
azania wrote: But this will be a total sell out as many issue free Khan fans will want to see a great British fighter.

Don’t be so sure Az, we’re a parsimonious bunch us Yorkshire folk.

A what? Does that mean you guys are tight with money?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Sam_London wrote:I'm actually quite interested to see how Anthony Ogogo gets on, although I do realise that I won't be able make a judgement on his potential based on his first pro fight.

What do posters think about Ogogo's boxing abilities? Do they think he could make a good pro? What are his main attributes (speed, power defence etc)?

He will be a crowd pleaser but will fall short at the highest level.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:42 pm

Khan has the benefit of being an olympic medalist so was always going to progress quicker than Brook who's had to do it the old fashioned way, no two ways about it someone who wants to get to the top shouldn't be taking fights like Diaz.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Imperial - I take we've established that Diaz wasn't Khan's first choice of opponent. However, Diaz being an ex world champion who has a bit of a dig on him, should make this an interesting fight.

We're going round in circles on this thread!!! warning

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:51 pm

I don't particularly think that it's a bad fight, to be honest. It's clearly been taken because Khan still feels he has new things he's learned under Hunter to work on, so what's the issue? He doesn't hold a world title right now so isn't obligated to be taking fights the public are demanding, and I'm amazed that anyone can really question Khan's ambition and desire to fight the best around. Just because he's taking another keep-busy / tester fight it doesn't mean he's running scared of the big challenges. Right now, another loss would be catastrophic to his challenge of being a pound for pound elite fighter, so he's perfectly within his rights to slowly work his way back up to the higher level fights.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Diaz was a short term world champion 6 years ago at a lower weight, I would expect a better fight from someone with Khans reputation.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm

I think Khan probably expected a better name too, Ghosty, but as others have already said it's fairly obvious that Diaz wasn't his first choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the slightest bit excited about it, and nor do I think it's going to be much of a spectacle, but I'd prefer Khan to make sure he's let the lessons learned under Hunter sink in and feels as if he's made the full transition before jumping back in with the Garcias etc again, because as I said above, another loss now is going to be a huge, huge setback and one which may well end his career as a top level operator.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 pm

There are plenty of people who haven't had Olympic medals who get world title shots a lot sooner than 7 years into their career. Khans career has been about 3 years ahead of Brooks, that's not just about an Olympic silver. Brook could have taken fights against boxers of Carson Jones standard a few years ago if he wanted to.
The fact he didn't showed he either lacked ambition or his promoter hasn't had faith in him and wanted to take the über safe route to a title shot which involves a good number of wins against very little credible opposition.
You could say they were right and the timing is better now for Brook but that still shows that Khan developed into a works class fighter much earlier than Brook, who for all we still know may not even be in that kind of class.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:57 pm

Diggers - I think the Jury is still out on Brook. The level of his opposition has been mediocre. I'm not convinced he beats Alexander.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Me neither Sam, its not impossible he could win easy but I think it's more likely to be close, a bit scrappy and a narrow points loss for him. Hope Im wrong though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:36 pm

How dare you talk sense when it comes to Khan Mr88?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Sam_London wrote:I'm actually quite interested to see how Anthony Ogogo gets on, although I do realise that I won't be able make a judgement on his potential based on his first pro fight.

Euro level at best, shaky chin

Robert Garcia's opinion on Khan vs Diaz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsmEsiplQNE

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick James Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Diggers wrote:Brook could have taken fights against boxers of Carson Jones standard a few years ago if he wanted to.
The fact he didn't showed he either lacked ambition or his promoter hasn't had faith in him and wanted to take the über safe route to a title shot which involves a good number of wins against very little credible opposition.

I think it was more down to Warren than Brook on his early career crawling at a snails pace. Without being too harsh on Brook, he isn't the most intelligent or charismatic boxer. But to give him his due, he did eventually wake up and smell the coffee and jump ship to Matchroom to expedite his career.

Managed to get an analogy and a few idioms into three sentences Smile

Rick James

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Rick James wrote:
Diggers wrote:Brook could have taken fights against boxers of Carson Jones standard a few years ago if he wanted to.

I think it was more down to Warren than Brook on his early career crawling at a snails pace. Without being too harsh on Brook, he isn't the most intelligent or charismatic boxer. But to give him his due, he did eventually wake up and smell the coffee and jump ship to Matchroom to expedite his career.

Managed to get an analogy and a few idioms into three sentences Smile

Warren is going down hill

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:03 pm

so who do You guys have for this

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:05 pm

Weigh In -

Khan & Diaz - 142 - - Catch weight of 143

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Article-2315351-19804DB4000005DC-310_306x423

Amir Khan vs Julio Diaz- Post Fight - Khan on the Decline? - Page 2 Article-2315351-19804EBB000005DC-456_306x423

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Who are you Ko-King...............

Are you part of his entourage........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Who are you Ko-King...............

Are you part of his entourage........

No why?

Not even a fan of his...

Only reason I want him to win is because am just supporting a british fighter.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:59 pm

All you do is comment on Khan Mate........

It's not a problem but it's mighty strange for a non-fan....

Your interest seems solely with Khan hence my question.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:All you do is comment on Khan Mate........

It's not a problem but it's mighty strange for a non-fan....

Your interest seems solely with Khan hence my question.

I think you have only seen my comments on Khan...

Just look into my posts, obviously on this one there is quite a few, because I started the thread, I also made a Ratings thread - which I have done for many other fighters also.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Not having a pop Mate.......Just wondered If you were part of the team.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not having a pop Mate.......Just wondered If you were part of the team.

Am taking no offense to it, I just think you simply just read my comments on khan mostly, also started this thread 2 months ago, and commented again on it today... Not really a high rate

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:15 pm

nobody would be called KO king and be associated with khan unless they were been ironic.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:53 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:nobody would be called KO king and be associated with khan unless they were been ironic.

Dont you remember the Khan before the maidana fight - 'Am going into this fight as the bigger puncher' laughing

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2