The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Collins/Roy Jones texts leaked.

+9
ShahenshahG
John Bloody Wayne
Strongback
seanmichaels
Seanusarrilius
OasisBFC
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
13 posters

Go down

Steve Collins/Roy Jones texts leaked. Empty Steve Collins/Roy Jones texts leaked.

Post by hampo17 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:36 pm

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/news/wbn/2013/02/26/collins-in-salvage-texts-to-jones-jr-as-wbc-chance-arises.html

I really hope this isn't true, Rogan should be no where near getting in the ring with a legend like Jones.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Steve Collins/Roy Jones texts leaked. Empty Re: Steve Collins/Roy Jones texts leaked.

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:44 pm

Crazy that Jones is being considered for a genuine title fight but you can't blame him for taking it over a fight with Collins, a fight that is well over date & really has very little meaning or interest to anybody except Collins & his team. A fight with Rogan? Whats all that about?

Back to top Go down

Steve Collins/Roy Jones texts leaked. Empty Re: Steve Collins/Roy Jones texts leaked.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

Never rated Collins........If anybody was a lucky fighter he was.......

Benn past it..........Eubank past it.........and retired before he got a slap off Calzaghe...

He can run a long...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Never rated Collins........If anybody was a lucky fighter he was.......

Benn past it..........Eubank past it.........and retired before he got a slap off Calzaghe...

He can run a long...

Bit harsh but I don't disagree, his two best opponents apart from the above he lost to & Jones beat both. His title defences were pretty poor as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:01 pm

It's just dawned on me that it's exactly ten years ago today that Jones won his Heavyweight title to take, in the eys of many, his already assured greatness to even higher levels. March 1, 2003.

Seriously, who'd have predicted farces like this a decade on?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:04 pm

88Chris05 wrote:It's just dawned on me that it's exactly ten years ago today that Jones won his Heavyweight title to take, in the eys of many, his already assured greatness to even higher levels. March 1, 2003.

Seriously, who'd have predicted farces like this a decade on?

Worse still Collins is set on making it just to prove what would've happened back in the day had they fought, provided he wins that is.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm

if i was RJJ i wouldnt even consider Collins if a belt was on the line against someone else.
that's if it's true of course.

RJJ could be in for another trip to unconsciousness.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Never rated Collins........If anybody was a lucky fighter he was.......

He can run a long...

Agree. Eubank should never have lost to him, even though he was past his best, and Benn, well, he was useless in those fights

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:20 pm

would prefer jones/collins over Khan / Diaz

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:28 pm

seanmichaels wrote:would prefer jones/collins over Khan / Diaz

No you wouldn't, but I see your point.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:31 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:would prefer jones/collins over Khan / Diaz

No you wouldn't, but I see your point.

honestly i would. For a similar reason I'd choose Dog the Bounty Hunter over Panorama.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:57 pm

I don't remember Eubank being past it when he fought Collins the first time. An older Eubank at short notice was able to give Calzaghe a very good test a couple of years later.

I never really liked Collins. Between him and his brother Roddy they have vandalized the airwaves with their super egotistical clap trap. Given Collins ego it doesn't surprise me he thinks he still has it. Not pretty as a fighter in his day but he was a dog of war. What he lacked in skill he made up for in durability and hard work, he was a very tough man.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:03 pm

Aye, you've got to give it to Collins for the Eubank wins, I think. How old was Eubank at the time, twenty-eight? He'd lost some of that cutting edge after Watson II, yes, but that was in 1991 and still nobody in the four years since had managed to topple him (well, not officially anyway!). Put it this way, the Eubank who fought Collins first time out would definitely have beaten the Eubank who only just squeezed past a series of non-entities between 1991 and 1995!

That said, beating Eubank doesn't make Collins the legend he thought he was and I hate to think how insufferable he might become if he took out Jones' shell now.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:28 pm

Having not fought since '97, and never having been any kind of all time great on his day, I don't really see him giving even this version of RJJ that much trouble.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:29 pm

Eubank had him hurt a couple of times and backed off with Watson in mind, easy win for Pre Watson eubank.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:29 pm

My favourite Steve Collins moment was in the video to U2s "the Sweetest Thing".

I would like to see him fight Bono mind.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

I'd like anyone to punch Bono in the face repeatedly...preferably using a glove that already has The Edge's face taped to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick James Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:00 am

Met Collins in Chelmsford DVLA, soon after he retired; very nice chap. He kept some horses in Essex, and needed something for his horse trailer. He trained in Romford under Barry Hearn's Matchroom, incase you were wondering what he was doing in Essex.

I think he's an absolute legend, even after he put my favourite fighter, Benn, into retirement. (Incidentally, my old man went to school with the Benn's. His brothers death still gets talked about around these ways).

He made the most of his ability, was willing to travel to learn his craft, and pulled a rabbit out of the hat with the psychological warfare he initiated with Eubank.

Rick James

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sat 02 Mar 2013, 2:26 pm

i really do hope RJJ wins the WBC cruiserweight title, as he's promised thats his last goal and will retire!

in reality, he'll get flattened and fight another few years.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick James Sat 02 Mar 2013, 4:21 pm

sweet_pea wrote:i really do hope RJJ wins the WBC cruiserweight title, as he's promised thats his last goal and will retire!

Did you also watch the Sky sports toe-to-toe podcast? I thought RJJ came across very well on it.

I agree with your sentiment, really want him to achieve his target of Cruiserweight title and then retire.

Rick James

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Mar 2013, 5:25 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I'd like anyone to punch Bono in the face repeatedly...preferably using a glove that already has The Edge's face taped to it.

Laugh clap clap clap

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 02 Mar 2013, 5:28 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I'd like anyone to punch Bono in the face repeatedly...preferably using a glove that already has The Edge's face taped to it.

I like U2.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 02 Mar 2013, 5:32 pm

azania wrote:

I like U2.

Sorry az but dave texted me from his doomsday shelter to tell you that he is married.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sat 02 Mar 2013, 5:47 pm

Rick James wrote:
sweet_pea wrote:i really do hope RJJ wins the WBC cruiserweight title, as he's promised thats his last goal and will retire!

Did you also watch the Sky sports toe-to-toe podcast? I thought RJJ came across very well on it.

I agree with your sentiment, really want him to achieve his target of Cruiserweight title and then retire.

no mate i havent, but i grew up watching RJJ, he along with a few others got me into boxing and its saddening to see how far he's fallen.

i wonder how history will see him, say 50 years from now (if he wins the CW title)
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down