The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr

+23
Il Gialloblu
Steffan
Lance
Izzi
jimdig
EdWoodjr
TRUSSMAN66
Scottrf
hampo17
jabman
adamk
Cast a Shadow
88Chris05
Mr Bounce
Atila
armchairwarrior
Seanusarrilius
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Strongback
mobilemaster8
azania
Pedro147
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr Empty Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr

Post by Pedro147 Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:08 am

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2013/0410/380702-collins-granted-boxing-licence/

Former World Middleweight champion Steve Collins has been granted a boxing licence, bringing his comeback bout with Roy Jones Junior a step closer.

The 48-year-old has stated that the American has agreed to the fight, but that it is now a question of financial backing with TV rights and a venue being sought.

Collins has indicated that venues in the middle east and former Soviet bloc are being looked at for the fight.

The Dubliner was world middleweight champion in the mid-1990s.

Collins always wanted a shot at Jones Jr back in the 1990s when the former Olympic silver medallist was considered by most to be the world’s best pound-for-pound boxer, but the fight never materialised.

“I was very happy with my career, but the one fight I wanted was Roy Jones, and when that didn’t happen I retired. To me he was afraid of me. I don’t think he’s a coward, but at the time he was!

"This is still a match. We’re the same generation. I wouldn’t even consider fighting as guy 15 or 20 years younger than me, because that’s not a match.

"But we’re the same age and this is a fair match. It won’t be any different to how it would have been 15 years ago."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr Empty Re: Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr

Post by azania Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 am

So soon after a boxer dies this happens.

I suppose it's Collins right to apply for a license and the board's right to check him out before issuing one. But I don't like it one bit.

azania

Back to top Go down

Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr Empty Re: Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:38 am

Agree completely AZ.

Its a joke of a fight between a shot fighter in Jones (Should have retired a while back) and a champion from the 90's era who hasnt fought a competative fight since 1997 i believe?!

Madness.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:41 am

I hope Jones batters him, that will soften his cough.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:43 am

I hope they batter each other.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 am

"It won’t be any different to how it would have been 15 years ago."

Yea, Roy was falling asleep 15 years ago when the gusts of wind gazed upon his chin like nowadays.

I hope something really awful happens to both guys but their health remains in tact. Just a massive scare health wise, but nothing serious or long term. Just to show the rubberstampers who approve this nonsense that they are close to being responsable for unnecessary injuries or worse.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:24 am

If something serious did happen, wonder if there'd be grounds to sue those who granted the licences?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:43 am

Oh lord. This is a fight that is only important in Collins mind, and at this age? Even in his pomp nobody thinks Collins would have beaten RJJ. Sad

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:44 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:If something serious did happen, wonder if there'd be grounds to sue those who granted the licences?
Nope, they be subjected to a "medical" which they'd both pass and anything untoward that happens would be put down to "one of those things"

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:51 am

Absolutely ridiculous.

Steve Collins hasn't fought for 15 + years and he is not even taking a warm up fight before facing Roy Jones who at least has ( albeit misguidedly ) been active, and "boxing" fit all these years.

Steve wouldn't take a warm up because he wouldn't look good even if he won, and that blow the mystique and jeopardize the "credibility" of the "big fight" ( note the irony ).

Great as a money spinner for them. Very poor as a sporting event.

Very sad because I admire Collins achievements.

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 am

Steve Collins hasn't fought for 15 + years and he is not even taking a warm up fight before facing Roy Jones

Not his fault, neither Benn or Calzaghe will answer his calls and he got through to Eubank JR by mistake. Ray Close was out, Tocker Pudwill works in insurance and he's terrified of Richie Woodall as he knows even today Richie takes Benn out inside two rounds

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

He he! laughing

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:33 am

Which boxing board granted Collins his licence, it's wasn't the Luxembourg Boxing Board was it?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 am

If Collins knocks Roy out it means hes better than Calzaghe who only managed a UD against him.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 am

This sort of thing makes me sad Crying or Very sad

Someone needs to talk to each fighter into a quiet room. And tell them to stop trying to relive to 90s. Then don't let them out.

This is one thing I can credit Calzaghe with without much challenge - he has stayed retired.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:50 am

Hazard a guess that this will no doubt be on PPV as the undercard to Eubank vs Calzaghe 2?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:50 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:If Collins knocks Roy out it means hes better than Calzaghe who only managed a UD against him.

Laugh

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 am

Collins will be insuffereable if he wins. I'm just glad Coxy's not around should he do so.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Collins will be insuffereable if he wins. I'm just glad Coxy's not around should he do so.

Me too. I found him insufferable at the best of times. And let me tell you, Collins coming out of retirement is not the best of times.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Someone should do a series called men of the golden 90's. Pit Collins, Eubank, Benn with people they should have fought like James Toney and Roy Jones along with a wild card like Sugar Boy Malinga or Michael Nunn.

Do it like prizefighter over 3 rounds.

Hype it MASSIVELY.

PPV

Hilarious!

Last edited by armchairwarrior on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong word)

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 pm

armchairwarrior wrote:Someone should do a series called men of the golden 90's. Pit Collins, Eubank, Benn with people they should have fought like James Toney and Roy Jones along with a wild card like Sugar Boy Malinga or Michael Nunn.

Hype it MASSIVELY.

PPV

Hilarious!

I am tempted to delete this for fear of Frank Warren pitching the idea as a means of saving BoxNation Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
armchairwarrior wrote:Someone should do a series called men of the golden 90's. Pit Collins, Eubank, Benn with people they should have fought like James Toney and Roy Jones along with a wild card like Sugar Boy Malinga or Michael Nunn.

Hype it MASSIVELY.

PPV

Hilarious!

I am almost tempted to delete this for fear of Frank Warren pitching the idea as a means of saving BoxNation Smile

I run a marketing company....me, giving Frank ideas!...bet he won't cut me in Doh

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

Hype it MASSIVELY.

PPV

Hilarious!

I am tempted to delete this for fear of Frank Warren pitching the idea as a means of saving BoxNation Smile

The seniors' tour has been a massive success in golf and snooker, but there's a bloody good reason why boxing should stay well away from it - I appreciate the original post was in jest.

Collins' bitterness about not fighting RJJ back in the 90s is something that has been apparent every time he has talked about boxing since his retirement. I happen to give him an outside chance of upsetting the odds circa 1996 had they met, but favour a close UD for Jones.

Of course, this proves the square root of zip regarding what might have happened nearly two decades ago, much like B-Hops re-match with RJJ did.

I also seem to remember Collins retiring on medical advice after being laid out in sparring, or something like that? Have 15 years of inactivity healed those old injuries or is he in with one of these rogue boxing boards that grant licences to guys like Danny Williams and kept doing so for Holyfield et al?

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 am

Atila wrote:Which boxing board granted Collins his licence, it's wasn't the Luxembourg Boxing Board was it?
[b]

could it be possible he granted his own license?

http://www.boxingscene.com/steve-collins-joins-malta-boxing-commission--60043

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by jabman Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:05 pm

The ahem comeback is still on, don't panic folks. From the Lancaster Guardian (can' post a link until I've been registered 7 days but there is also a video with the article, RJJ be afraid, be very afraid):

Former world boxing champion Steve Collins admitted he was nervous before making his return to the ring in Lancaster.

But after his three-round comeback bout gainst Morecambe ex-pro Frank Harrington on Saturday night, ‘The Celtic Warrior’ said he was ready for a fight with American legend Roy Jones Junior.

Collins, the only man ever to defeat fight legends Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank, put on a great show for fans at the University of Cumbria.

The former world middle and super middleweight champion, 49, looked fit and sharp against Harrington, who more than held his own during a sprightly exhibition contest.

Afterwards the Irishman said: “Last time I fought was when I defended my world title (in 1997) and when I went out there tonight, wearing a robe I hadn’t worn since I last boxed professionally, and I heard the music, my legs were shaking.

“I was so nervous going in. It was like putting the clock back.

“But I felt like I could have done a lot more. If the Roy Jones fight finally comes off, it’s given me more confidence. It was a good feeling.

“I love Lancaster. I know people in the area and they remind me of the people back home in Ireland, very down-to-earth and hard-working.

“I’d love to come back. Frank is an absolute gentleman and I’d have no problem sharing a boxing ring with him at any time.”

Collins has been chasing a fight with Jones since both were world champions during the 1990s and hopes the bout will happen in 2014.

“If it doesn’t happen then it won’t be down to me,” he said.

Frank, 52, boxing trainer at Morecambe’s Red Rose Community Centre, was a useful welterweight pro during the 1980s and 1990s.

He also promoted Saturday night’s event.

“I thought it was a cracking night and Steve Collins was a genuine good guy,” said Harrington.

jabman

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Is that a joke?

Calzaghe beat Eubank mate.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:16 pm

The only man to beat Chris Eubank?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:19 pm

The only man to beat them both...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Completely misread that sentence. My brain is fried after the Tyson Fury thread earlier.

This is not a fight I want to see or to happen though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:36 pm

I didn't want to see Roy Jones fighting 7 years ago, let along Collins coming back to fight him now...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Likewise hampo

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Financial package with TV rights...........

A once-great fighter that would struggle to beat a nightclub bouncer.......and a guy that was ordinary and often stunk in his prime........

Maybe they can sell it to Town centre CCTV.........I won't be watching.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Boxing's credibility hits a new low.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:31 pm

The fight nobody wants to see.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:40 pm

I thought this had all gone away. What if Collins wins? Will he challenge Ol' Popkins in a "Battle of the Old Bar Stewards"??

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Even in his pomp nobody thinks Collins would have beaten RJJ. Sad
Would've been a more notable win than most of RJJs record, still harp back to the good old 90s when Clinton Woods was one of the more noteworthy fights he took.

Collins KO 2

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:10 pm

met Collins a few times, hes an absolute tool. the type of guy, that when he speaks everybody finds any excuse they can not to listen. Very aggressive and full of himself. funny thing is most people have no idea who he is or why he considers himself important. I think its the fame he craves more than anything. Jones still has a following. Collins wants some limelight. Collins will fight negatively and try to turn It into a wrestling match. Might get to see one last K0
from Jones if we are lucky

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:47 am

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Sums it up

Ask Collins if he would do it and ( as he has retired ) donate a generous amount of his purse to charity.

If the answer was no, then ask him why would people pay to see a sportsman now way past it unless it was for charitable causes.

If by this point Collins hadn't punched you, he would be forced to face facts that the comeback is about money and ego and not about boxing ( which we all know anyway ).

If this goes ahead LOADS of people will watch it ( including me ha ha ), and both Steve and Roy will come out winners regardless

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:56 am

Perhaps Cleverley could fight the winner as part of his comeback

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:58 am

DAVE667 wrote:Perhaps Cleverley could fight the winner as part of his comeback
Cleverly should not even be fighting these men they are has-beens

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:59 am

Steffan wrote:
Warren will wait another ten years before he considers them has-beens. As it stands they pose far too much of a threat to Cleverley

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 am

DAVE667 wrote:
Steffan wrote:
Warren will wait another ten years before he considers them has-beens. As it stands they pose far too much of a threat to Cleverley
Probably. Thats our Frank for you

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:08 am

The proposed fight sounds more like a novelty thing for a reality show than an actual boxing match.

Not seen many predictions in this thread though. You must've thought about it. If it happens, who wins?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 am

The fans!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:15 am

Was Collins a middleweight champion?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:16 am

Jones early KO. He may be a shadow of his former self but at least he hasn't been out the ring for 16 years

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:17 am

seanmichaels wrote:Was Collins a middleweight champion?
Yes, WBO champ then moved straight up to Super and beat Eubank

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:26 am

never knew that.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 am

This is pathetic whoever issued the licence should hold their head in shame,anyone paying good money to watch this fiasco wants their heads looking at.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Maybe you think they are changing...but these guys can't change what they really are

Forget all this money and stuff around them. It don't change a thing

Collins and Jones don't even have a choice

They are born with a killer instinct you can't turn off and on like a radio

They have to be in the middle of the action because they are the warriors

Without some challenge, without some war to fight...then the warrior may as well be dead

Maybe you don't know...what I'm talking about now...but you will when it's over

Believe me!!!

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next