The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr

+23
Il Gialloblu
Steffan
Lance
Izzi
jimdig
EdWoodjr
TRUSSMAN66
Scottrf
hampo17
jabman
adamk
Cast a Shadow
88Chris05
Mr Bounce
Atila
armchairwarrior
Seanusarrilius
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Strongback
mobilemaster8
azania
Pedro147
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr - Page 2 Empty Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr

Post by Pedro147 Wed 10 Apr - 14:08

First topic message reminder :

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2013/0410/380702-collins-granted-boxing-licence/

Former World Middleweight champion Steve Collins has been granted a boxing licence, bringing his comeback bout with Roy Jones Junior a step closer.

The 48-year-old has stated that the American has agreed to the fight, but that it is now a question of financial backing with TV rights and a venue being sought.

Collins has indicated that venues in the middle east and former Soviet bloc are being looked at for the fight.

The Dubliner was world middleweight champion in the mid-1990s.

Collins always wanted a shot at Jones Jr back in the 1990s when the former Olympic silver medallist was considered by most to be the world’s best pound-for-pound boxer, but the fight never materialised.

“I was very happy with my career, but the one fight I wanted was Roy Jones, and when that didn’t happen I retired. To me he was afraid of me. I don’t think he’s a coward, but at the time he was!

"This is still a match. We’re the same generation. I wouldn’t even consider fighting as guy 15 or 20 years younger than me, because that’s not a match.

"But we’re the same age and this is a fair match. It won’t be any different to how it would have been 15 years ago."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr - Page 2 Empty Re: Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr

Post by djlovesyou Wed 16 Oct - 19:15

It's either all that stuff Steffan said, or they're short of cash.

One of the two, but I'm not certain which, erm.......

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2