The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ...

+2
waiting on nole
Wooffie
6 posters

Go down

Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... Empty Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ...

Post by Wooffie Sun 01 May 2011, 6:21 pm

I have to say though, that this came in a much less convincing fashion than anything we've seen so far this year. Perhaps the heavy and damp conditions affected by a shower before the match and drizzle during it played their part, and even Novak seemed at times to struggle in motivating himself.

The first set went to a breaker, but really with 6 break points held by Feli and unforced errors by him to lose them, Nole ran his luck for it to go to a breaker where again, his opponent's unforced errors helped to seal the set win. An early break in the second could have been lost as Feli again didn't convert his break back point, but then a double break secured the set and victory with a 6-2 scoreline.

Novak hit 51 unforced errors, 13 winners and was at one point at 24% first serves in during the second set. His serve certainly wasn't at its best, although his first serve points won stat was very high at 81%. For Feli's part, this was actually the best I've seen from him for quite a while, but around 65 unforced errors tells its own story.

A number of you think that perhaps Novak's best chance for a clay Masters off Rafa will come at Madrid. Whilst this was the only match on clay I've watch him play in this tournament, I would say that he's still to find his clay feet and anything resembling some form. He will have to hope to do a lot better during the coming week.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... Empty Re: Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ...

Post by waiting on nole Sun 01 May 2011, 6:46 pm

I don't know my impression is that he didn't want to risk injuring himself today. weather conditions were awful and I think he played it safe. that awkward fall proved him right.
besides that I agree with you wooffie that he needs more matches on clay to get that clay feeling. Wink I hope he'll have enough time in next few matches to get used to it and to get to the finals in the end. and then I'll have a treat: nadal - djokovic hopefully

waiting on nole

Back to top Go down

Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... Empty Re: Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ...

Post by I AM AWESOME Sun 01 May 2011, 8:33 pm

Federer to end the record next week. You heard it here first. Yahoo

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 01 May 2011, 11:45 pm

I AM AWESOME wrote:Federer to end the record next week. You heard it here first. Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 479796
He's in the wrong side of the draw for that. Wink Djokovic's draw is nasty though, he's facing the entire Spanish armada by the looks of things!

For all he didn't look overly convincing, he still crusied that final set. That's the quality he seems to have this year; last year, a struggle would have likely meant 3 sets, or at least 2 close sets, but after a dodgy start he simply went back into steamroller mode. Despite this I think his best chance is at Rome. For all Madrid is supposed to be the faster surface (though any talk of pace on clay is rather redundant is you ask me) and therefore supposedly Nole's big chance, I still feel Nadal's firstly more than good enough to make that point irrelevant and secondly making a mistake going for 5 tournaments on the clay season; he's never complete a sweep of 5 over this season and I don't think he will with Djokovic's form. But he'll have to tire out first, and Rome is probably where he'll switch off.

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 02 May 2011, 6:53 am

Dont think I can buy into the "didn´t want to risk injurying himself" bit sorry. He would have gone all out to defend his non -beaten status and has much to prove on clay. If his eye is set on Madrid .. I should try lowering it a little Nole given the performance I saw.. Rafa will defend that particular trophy like a tiger with her cubs. His best shot is Rome.
Nole is going to go one of two ways... everything by storm or a damp squib. JDP is looking pretty sharp at the moment and shouldnt be discounted and I dont think where Nole is concerned too much should be taken for granted.
Talking of nasty draws Rafa´s aint so pretty either.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 02 May 2011, 9:12 am

Nole, right now, playing like he currently is won't even get to the finals. But lets be honest he was a bit rusty having an extended break and then his first two matches were against guys that are really more used to challenger events and qualifications. I stated this before, he just didn't look right in Serbia, didn't look like he had his timing or his clay court legs underneath him and the poor weather and a rather dodgy clay court also didn't help matters. But again a win is a win. At the Master's however he will most certainly have to up his level if he even wants to get to Nadal in the finals.

Here is the kicker if Novak finds away to get his legs underneath him and make it to the final, I think he has a good chance of beating Nadal. If he gets to the finals that means he has adjusted well to the clay and found his timing again. Nadal will still be a significant favorite, but if Nole gets there he has a good chance and I think whoever wins it will be close. Even as a Nole fan I have to acknowledge that Nadal is the greatest ever on clay, and it would be a big upset. Still how great would it be to have #1 and #2, both riding lengthy win streaks face each other in the Spanish capital again? Lets hope Novak ups his level and finds away to the final, on current form that is certainly no given.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 02 May 2011, 9:22 am

Im not saying that Nole cannot or will not beat him on clay... but remember one thing socal.. Madrid is not an easy court to play due to altitude as Rafa is already stating.. but if one tournament means a lot to Rafa it is indeed Madrid. So Nole will have to bring his A game to Rafa for this one imo Conditions in Spain are very damp at the moment .. it is pouring where I am.. that could make a difference to the bounce.. but hey its all ifs mights and maybes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 02 May 2011, 9:28 am

Haddie, again I am not predicting that Novak will win. In fact, on current form if he plays the way he did in serbia he will be out in the second or third round. But he does have the ability to put it into another gear and up his level. I think he will, so far he has been great in the clutch this year. Madrid in my mind suits him, the ball moves through the air faster and Nadal has lost before at Madrid to Fed, and Novak pushed him to the limit in 09 when he was having real problems with his serve. But certainly Nadal would be a pretty heavy favorite in the final.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 02 May 2011, 9:36 am

As I say again Novak will need his A game.. he has to beat Rafa and the Madrileanos who idolise their "son" Rafa normally plays well in front of a home crowd .. but as I say there is a lot of pressure on him that may well make a difference.. not least altitude and climate.
But as I keep repeating myself... there are others ready to challenge.. like it or not Fed and JDP may well have something to say about all this. One of the reasons William Hill would never make a fortune out of me .. Im not too good at predicting. And lets not forget little Daveeeeed he will be there to the bitter end mark my words.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 02 May 2011, 9:43 am

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-05-01/6887.php

Rafa´s presser

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Mon 02 May 2011, 3:00 pm

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:
I AM AWESOME wrote:Federer to end the record next week. You heard it here first. Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 479796
He's in the wrong side of the draw for that. Wink Djokovic's draw is nasty though, he's facing the entire Spanish armada by the looks of things!

For all he didn't look overly convincing, he still crusied that final set. That's the quality he seems to have this year; last year, a struggle would have likely meant 3 sets, or at least 2 close sets, but after a dodgy start he simply went back into steamroller mode. Despite this I think his best chance is at Rome. For all Madrid is supposed to be the faster surface (though any talk of pace on clay is rather redundant is you ask me) and therefore supposedly Nole's big chance, I still feel Nadal's firstly more than good enough to make that point irrelevant and secondly making a mistake going for 5 tournaments on the clay season; he's never complete a sweep of 5 over this season and I don't think he will with Djokovic's form. But he'll have to tire out first, and Rome is probably where he'll switch off.

Ooops forgot about that. Lol the Spanish Armada will probably get taken apart tbh by Djokovic if his hard court form transitions to Cal court, but to me he didn't look very convincing in Serbia but as people have pointed out that could be due to a variety or reasons.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Mon 02 May 2011, 7:02 pm

We'll see what happens, both Nadal and Djokovic have a lot to play for here, if Nadal wants any chance of stopping Djokovic from being number 1 he's got to retain the clay titles, and Djokovic will want to keep the record going, as well as make a huge leap towards gaining the Number 1 spot.

Should be interesting!

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 02 May 2011, 8:52 pm

Lol the Spanish Armada will probably get taken apart tbh by Djokovic

Dont put money on it. Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 590675

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Mon 02 May 2011, 8:59 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Lol the Spanish Armada will probably get taken apart tbh by Djokovic

Dont put money on it. Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 590675

Well apart from Nadal that is. He might just be beaten in a tight 2 setter laughing

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 02 May 2011, 9:06 pm

I think you may well have forgotten thaty Nadal and Novak are not the only two players capable of winning this tournament. The Djoko bandwaggon is getting in front of itself .. just hope for your sake the wheels dont fall off.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Mon 02 May 2011, 9:15 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:I think you may well have forgotten thaty Nadal and Novak are not the only two players capable of winning this tournament. The Djoko bandwaggon is getting in front of itself .. just hope for your sake the wheels dont fall off.
Actually I am cheering, as always for Federer (COME ON FED!) but I'd prefer anyone else bar Nadal to win the tournament. (We don't now need him to surpass Fedz now, do we?)

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 02 May 2011, 9:21 pm

Well now we know where you are coming from . Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 590675

Vamos Rafa Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 479796 Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 3497602689

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Mon 02 May 2011, 9:34 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Well now we know where you are coming from . Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 590675

Vamos Rafa Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 479796 Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 3497602689

No, it's all about them Glorified 'COME ON!'s from Fed. thumbsup

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 03 May 2011, 10:01 am

Haddie you are really tight with your money you aren't willing to put your money on anything. Live a little, be free and easy!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 03 May 2011, 1:20 pm

You must be joking on my pension... Djokovic streak continues with victory in the Serbian Open ... 3497602689

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down