The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Canelo Overlooking Trout?

+6
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Seanusarrilius
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
bellchees
88Chris05
davidemore
10 posters

Go down

Is Canelo Overlooking Trout? Empty Is Canelo Overlooking Trout?

Post by davidemore Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:54 am

I'm not being funny, but isn't this the toughest test of Canelo's life? Isn't this a fight he could easily lose? And i believe will lose. Austin Trout is no joke. He's a genuine world class champion with a better win than Canelo can muster on his record.

So, why in the hell is Canelo calling out Martinez for September? Why in the hell is he trying to get Mayweather to agree to fight him. Mayweather signing a pre-contract? What is Canelo thinking?

Ego has got to the Mexican.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Is Canelo Overlooking Trout? Empty Re: Is Canelo Overlooking Trout?

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:29 am

He'd be stupid if he was to overlook as big a challenge as this, Davide. Personally, I don't think he is looking past Trouth, though. I'd say that his calling out of Mayweather and Martinez for a September date is more just a sign of his confidence (nowt wrong with that) and the fact that he can make these kind of claims given his backers and following.

I'm leaning more and more towards Trout to win this one, in any case. Alvarez is just too easy to find and pin behind a jab - even a shot to bits Mosley showed that early doors when they fought. I had another look at Vargas-Winky not long ago and the more I think about it, the more I see this fight panning out in a similar manner, the young, heavily marketed fighter gradually being worked out and outboxed by the more measured, technical boxer.

Of course I'm hoping, if that's the case, that the judges don't have a shocking off night as they did in Vargas-Winky, that's the only difference!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:58 am

Overlooking Trout would be a catastrophic mistake, his backers surely won't let him get complacent.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 06 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm

I seriously doubt that Canelo is taking Trout lightly, remember he was the one who pushed for this fight after the mayweather fight collapsed as his handlers where looking at Cotto but Alvarez was having none of it. He has been preparing since the turn of the year (still hoping for Mayweather) so should be in great shape

Of course he is going to name drop Mayweather, up untill feb he thought that he was going to get the may date instead of Guerrero. Every interview he gets more questions about Floyd than he does Trout so he is obviously going to have to answer them and it's blatantly obvious that he wants the September fight with a big name like floyd or Martinez

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 06 Mar 2013, 2:07 pm

I hope not for his sake guys, great points. I feel Trout is smarter, moves better, and has more shots than Canelo.

Canelo has power and a great body punch, but he stalks for too long and gives away rounds. At Trout's level you cannot give away rounds.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 06 Mar 2013, 3:00 pm

Canelo v Trout is a huge fight and one which Canelo could easily lose, so he better know what he is up against. That said, there is probably too much talk about a Sep PPV given what Canelo has to deal with before that.

I am so pleased that a fight like Torut v Canelo is getting made, and it is being broght forward, too. Trout has little fanbase so Canelo has to be applauded for not ducking him. 50/50 fight for me and one we will learn a lot from

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 06 Mar 2013, 3:08 pm

davidemore wrote:I hope not for his sake guys, great points. I feel Trout is smarter, moves better, and has more shots than Canelo.

Canelo has power and a great body punch, but he stalks for too long and gives away rounds. At Trout's level you cannot give away rounds.

Don't really agree that he is alot smarter, or at least hasn't proved it yet. Yes he's more of a boxer but nothing that he has done yet has required great ring smarts. Against Cotto he had every advantage (except experiance) yet allowed Cotto to get inisde and do what he wanted untill Trout's size and strength wore him down and Cotto gassed in the championship rounds

Canelo hasn't been in with great opposition but has been smart enough to win almost every round of his career. He closes very well and doesn't waste anything which for someone so young shows great ring smarts

I'd agree with the movement part but power and strength goes to Canelo while technique probably goes to Trout

Great matchup and a real pick'em

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 06 Mar 2013, 5:52 pm

I taste a robbery.......

I think Trout will get jobbed. He is technically VERY gifted and if Canelo thinks he can just try to charge through him like he has been doing with the rest of the smaller guys he has fought then he is in for a bad night.

I see Trout losing (but by highway robbery)
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 5:58 pm

It happened when Oscar fought Sturm in the run-up to his MW fight with Hopkins. Sturm was the only one who didn't get the memo about letting Oscar win and it tarnished DLH's legacy as much as his losses to Mosley and Trinidad.

If we do end up with a robbery it will disgust many of us and yet I'm betting the vast majority will also be unsurprised.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:05 pm

If he is talking about Floyd et al, then all credit to him. I like boxers who aim for the best. I doubt very much he's taking Trout lightly. Just assuming he will win and showing his confidence.

I'm warming to the chinny mexican. OK

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:55 pm

azania wrote:If he is talking about Floyd et al, then all credit to him. I like boxers who aim for the best. I doubt very much he's taking Trout lightly. Just assuming he will win and showing his confidence.

I'm warming to the chinny mexican. OK

And I am warming to you, my chinny little whatever you are

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 06 Mar 2013, 7:01 pm

Saffer

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 06 Mar 2013, 8:16 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:

Cotto gassed in the championship rounds

If you are making weight easy and filling your body with fuel during camp (and relatively without restriction) then there's no excuse for an experienced fighter to fade. Unless, the ability to dictate range is inversely proportional to stamina (or at least the requirement for it) and the opponent (who is mostly shorter) is negatively impacted with respect to excursion, thus stamina.

BTW I haven't seen the fight.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:33 pm

Age may play a big part in Cotto gassing although he's never had the best engine to start with, some guys just don't have the same natural stamina levels of others.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm

Yea he's only 32 but he's a old 32

Always fought going forward and had alot if hard fights before marg and we all know the punishment he took there. Added to the fact he lost a couple of peak years by draining himself to get to LWW countless times, it results in him having poor stamina despite being a 100% dedicated trainer

Cotto was never a LMW and barring Floyd (who himself is a small welter let alone LMW) he has looked pretty poor against limited/shot opposition. Trout was the first natural LMW he fought and Trout just used his size and strength to bully and lean on Cotto (all 5'7 of him) which drained Cotto's legs faster than usual. Canelo wong have that problem being that much bigger/fresher than Cotto and untill the 8/9th rounds (which was when he gassed) he had caught trout quite a bit and it was very close at that point

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:59 pm

Cotto is a better fighter than Canelo hence he was able to catch Trout.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 07 Mar 2013, 12:13 am

All remains to be seen, I don't think much of Cotto as a light middleweight and don't think he punches hard enough to gain the full respect of the natural 154lbers.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:16 am

Canelo is slow and methodical. Power and the body is where he shines.

Not enough to beat Trout I feel.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 07 Mar 2013, 3:10 pm

i think saul will have the better engine, and the better chin, and will force the stoppage late.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down