The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post Scotland v Wales: Scotland consolidation thread

+37
funnyExiledScot
highland_scot
tigertattie
Pat_Mustard
Hound_of_Harrow
Tattie Scones RRN
MacKnocked-on
NeilyBroon
lauriehow
Taffineastbourne
Heuer27
RubyGuby
GLove39
Shifty
TJ1
Cardiff Taffy
reallybored
jimbopip
Morgannwg
glamorganalun
100%beefy
flyhalffactory
Scrumdown
Imperialbigdave
DrTreasure
RuggerRadge2611
bsando
thomh
RDW
cakeordeath
thebluesmancometh
doctornickolas
Glas a du
nobbled
LondonTiger
majesticimperialman
George Carlin
41 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Post Scotland v Wales: Scotland consolidation thread - Page 4 Empty Post Scotland v Wales: Scotland consolidation thread

Post by George Carlin Sun 10 Mar 2013, 7:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Well, I didn't see the game last night but it sounds like it was ruined as a spectacle from the outset by Liza Minelli Joubert.

Where are we now as a team? What do we know? Does our current placing reflect accurately where we are as a squad?

It seems to me (admittedly, not having seen the game, so I'll need your help) that:

1. The lack of time together with the squad and management has told? We didn't have much time with SJ and DR and it has ultimately showed. A 'back to basics' approach was necessary for us but also expedient as we didn't have the opportunity to consider more complex structures. I think what I'm saying is that you cannot blame the coaches for this. The core of the Welsh team have been together for years and that cohesiveness, especially in defense, seems to show when it counts.

2. Our set piece is good, provided that horrendous refeering does not do us a disservice.

3. However, just because we are solid defensively, adopting what is clearly a pre-ascertained strategy of not playing in our own half puts a lot of pressure on us defensively. Ironically, it does not play to our current strengths, which is giving our back three a chance with ball in hand.

4. We are missing Rennie and Barclay desperately. I don't think that it's sustainable to play Harley instead of Barclay or Fusaro in the next match. We need a fetcher.

5. I think that the value of Scott Johnson as a coach will diminish considerably if the SRU cannot persuade Dean Ryan to stay on. All good coaching set-ups are team affairs (Henry and Wayne, Mallett and Meehan, Dingo Deans and his sock puppet).

6. Unless we beat France, I am minded not to try and describe this campaign as a success. Mathematically we cannot finish bottom but with this group of players, I actually expected better.

What are your thoughts about where we are now?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post Scotland v Wales: Scotland consolidation thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Post Scotland v Wales: Scotland consolidation thread

Post by Pat_Mustard Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:55 pm

I'm too depressed to read through all the Scotland-related threads, so I don't know what's been said already. But my main observation from Saturday, other than indiscipline, was the complete lack of attacking intent/intensity for the first 70 minutes. In the last ten we showed we could threaten the line when we really wanted to, despite the poor conditions, so why hadn't we tried that earlier!

It reminded me of the way we used to play a few years ago, particularly the RWC 2007 quarter final against Argentina when we only started playing attacking rugby once we were well behind. I really thought we'd moved towards a more ambitious attitude since then but this feels like a step backwards and that's what has really disappointed me.

The fact that we now have a more talented group of individuals, particularly in the outside backs, only makes it more frustrating. It does, however provide some hope for the not-too-distant future if we can sort the tactics out.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post Scotland v Wales: Scotland consolidation thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Post Scotland v Wales: Scotland consolidation thread

Post by George Carlin Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:05 pm

We haven't won in Paris for 14 years, but if a French side was ever beatable, it's right now.
Particularly if they continue with Fearless Freddie and his Brainfart Kicking Randomizer.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

We've not won for a while but we've generally done OK against them (should have beaten them under Matt Williams when Ally Hogg's foot was wrongly judged to be in touch!). The scoreboards are sometimes a bit high against us but we always tend to put in a good showing for ourselves and score some points.

I'll remind myself that I posted this on Sunday when we go on to lose 60-10 and feel the full wrath of the French. picard

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:11 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:We've not won for a while but we've generally done OK against them (should have beaten them under Matt Williams when Ally Hogg's foot was wrongly judged to be in touch!). The scoreboards are sometimes a bit high against us but we always tend to put in a good showing for ourselves and score some points.

I'll remind myself that I posted this on Sunday when we go on to lose 60-10 and feel the full wrath of the French. picard
If it's that bad, I'm going to Google the French castle scene from Monty Python and the Hoy Grail and post the whole thing here. tomato
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:18 pm

If we can get at them early I think we have a chance. If on the otherhand PSA picks the right side (Parra and Trinh-duc together at half back with Bastereau outside Fofana) and they get on the scoreboard early, then we'll really struggle. I mean really struggle.

Paris is often a liberating place to play for Scotland. Zero expectations typically and France like the ball to move about, often creating counter-opportunities, which hopefully we can now make something of with our pacy back three.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:25 pm

Well. I'm not sure who has said what to be honest. There has been that much said on so many threads!

My points in short:

Dean Ryan has turned a potent pack into a ruck shy bunch of incompetent scrummagers

The ref was a joke and the IRB need to fix this and fix it soon. You CANNOT give a free kick for early engagements by scotland then when Wales do it and then push right over Scotland, give Wales a penatly. W T actual F

We, however, cannot blame the ref. We were useless that whole game.

Scotland have made progress in the back division but this has been negated by the decline in the forwards. We now have better finishers but we dont have the same quality of donkey to get them into scoring oppertunities

England beat us easliy. Italy lost due to 3 against the run of play tries. Ireland were just hopeless with the ball - Scotland, as a team, have not improved since last year.

We need to man up - We need to contest the breakdown - We need to supply our backs with good, clean, quick ball - We need to stop kicking so much (especially turnover ball ffs)

Rant over
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:31 pm

Good Afternoon Compatriots

Firstly well done George Carlin a really well thought our analysis of where we as a squad are and specifically how we performed on the weekend. Secondly its such a shame that with such a specific thread that it can be brought down so rapidly by the trolls and WUMMERS on here. The first non Scottish poster was clearly on here to distance himself from the discussion thread and create a wind up, then he has been supported by the usual suspect. 606v2 is going the way of the original 606 site and losing so many quality posters due to some on here who rather an immature war of rants than have adhere to the content of the discussion thread.

I was there for the match, and sections of the crowd heard Ford complaining to the ref shouting "SOFT" on the first two put ins..... that went down like a lead ballon, and it was clear from the off that the Welsh (knowing Joubert does not like the early hits) was going to adopt the "soft hit" approach, they clearly delayed and did not even go down on the "set" call so that it appeared that we jumped the gun. I met some genuine graceful Welsh fans during and after the match and all aceepted that the Welsh team had flaunted the rules and away with murder at the scrums and breakdowns. Our fast direct scrum technique what should have been our biggest asset became our biggest liability

Saying that Scotland payers are paid professionals who should be able to readjust to the conditions and tactics, we had a front five to match the Welsh but we certainly didnt making too many mistakes at critical times. Kellock was mullered, Hamilton continually giving penalties and the one before halftime beggars belief.

Wales won, deserved to win, had some star standout players, Adam Jones superb, Warburton superb, Halfpenny Superb, North superb, but they weren't dominant or convincing as many on here seems to portray

I would select Cross instead of Murray who had a chance to shine but in my mind didnt, Swinson or Gilchrist to partner Hamilton who should be bollocked for his ill discipline. I was one who advocated Barclay be selected ahead of Harley who indeed had a quiet game. I think the killer Bees have a better balance, but wouldnt mind if Wilson started. Scotland have a massive problem in midfield and like so many others I dont put all the blame on Schlong but I think we now need to look at benching him for the next game. I think Scott hasn't stepped up to the mark as he should have by now, we did have some opportunity to play inventive rugby at times and it was clear that we didnt have a clue when the opportunity arose. I would put Scott to outside centre and play Dunbar at 12 against France

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Gilchrist
5. Hamilton
6. Brown
7. Barclay
8. Beattie
9. Laidlaw
10. Weir
11. Visser
12. Dunbar
13. Scott
14. Maitland
15. Hogg
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:52 pm

You really can't put Scott at 13. Whenever he's played there for Edinburgh it hasn't worked. He just doesn't have the gas to go on the outside. Dunbar is faster and should go to 13 if he's to start.

Again, the omission of Alex Grove from the reckoning has again been a big mistake. Do we really need Nikki Walker in the squad??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:55 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:You really can't put Scott at 13. Whenever he's played there for Edinburgh it hasn't worked. He just doesn't have the gas to go on the outside. Dunbar is faster and should go to 13 if he's to start.

Again, the omission of Alex Grove from the reckoning has again been a big mistake. Do we really need Nikki Walker in the squad??
Only to hold the tackle bags and to make Hoggy and Maitland feel even more talented.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:59 pm

I suspect they feel nothing but pity.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:You really can't put Scott at 13. Whenever he's played there for Edinburgh it hasn't worked. He just doesn't have the gas to go on the outside. Dunbar is faster and should go to 13 if he's to start.

I understand what you you are saying FES but I have seen him have a more composed game when he has played outside centre for us over the last two seasons, and it all depends how you use the two centres at international level, Dunbars pace and build can be used very much like Jamie Roberts releasing space for Scott at 13 or you can play the right and left very much like the All Blacks 10-12-13 axis using the flyhalf to loop. If we are going to use Scott the way we are then we may as well look at Ansbro (12) who in my mind is potentially a more inventive player and Dunbar (13)

I agree with you on Grove but have to say that Walker tries %age is right up there when he has been given the chance.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:21 pm

I don't think Scott played at all at 13 last season. Not sure which games you are referring to. I've been at Murrayfield for each and every game Scott has played 13 this season and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt he's a 12 and not a 13. He just doesn't have the pace for the outside channels, in defence or attack.

I think for all the sensible reasons you articulate he was tried at 13. It just didn't and hasn't worked. I therefore don't see how you can start him at 13 for Scotland when he hasn't played a single decent game for Edinburgh at 13. All his best performances have come at 12.

Ansbro is injured, so doesn't enter the equation.

The problem slot for me is 13, where Lamont doesn't really fit. The question is Horne or Dunbar really, given Grove's omission. I'd go with Dunbar, and have either Horne or Lamont on the bench.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:35 pm

Now that Gray's injured, I'd love to see Swinson play, I think he'd add a real edge to our pack and reminds me a lot of Hines.

This said I suspect we'll have Kellock and Hamilton, although Hamilton was back to being a lump against Wales. I'd go with this team (in an ideal world).

1. Grant
2. McArthur
3. Cross
4. Swinson
5. Hamilton
6. Brown
7. Barclay
8. Beattie

9. Laidlaw
10. Weir

11. Visser
12. Horne
13. Dunbar
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

I think in the backs we need the whole centres axis changed and move Scott to the bench. As much as Lamont works, he's not a centre. Horne and Dunbar have been on fine form and deserve the pairing chance in the centres along with Weir at fly half.

In the forwards Cross is back in, his workrate against Ireland was admirable. Murray blows hot and cold, probably because he only plays in a match every other week these days.

The team I think will be fielded is perhaps one like this:

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Kellock
5. Hamilton
6. Brown
7. Barclay
8. Beattie

9. Laidlaw
10. Jackson

11. Visser
12. Scott
13. Lamont
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

I don't think SJ will throw in Dunbar against France, in fact I'd be surprised if he gave him a bench spot, he's been quite conservative, still...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:41 pm

Well we are both season ticket holders (or we both watch Edinburgh regularly) and both have opinons on how centres work interact, and whilst I agree he hasnt the pace to play outside the tradition 10-12 axis for us at Direct 12 level, all his most penetrative actions have been by his running game for Scotland, as opposed to his distribution game for us. His game is designed is to supply Lamont with some decent ball and space which in my mind he hasn't (and we have have used Laidlaw, Jackson and Weir inside of him with no real difference), its all very well lampooning Lamont but I have yet to see him put in any decent space and lets be honest he has some pace if he has some room

But certainly think that Scott / Dunbar is the midfield partnership for France, if you are considering Horne then I would bring him into the 12 slot to partner Dunbar
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by DrTreasure Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:51 pm

Its a sad indictment of modern rugby if the teams who try to play attacking rugby are seen as more likely to lose. I think New Zealand will laugh at that and England's and Ireland's performance in the first round of games disprove it. I have long maintained low expectations of Scotland to avoid disappointment. (Same goes for football as I am a Stirling Albion fan!) I was 16 when we won the last 5 nations and have the video of it. When I am down about Scottish rugby I will watch it and remember being at Murrayfield for that win against Ireland and when we got the trophy. As a result I got the video out, transferred it to my computer, took out the half an hour of player commentary and put it on youtube so that other scots posters here can watch it and feel better about scottish rugby but also see what we can do (espeically in Paris) if given the freedom and playing with pace and enterprise. Video is in 2 parts as a playlist at on youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5nng223R-6PtYUC_C5-duBjyrqES8VII. Personal highlights are Taits try at Twickenham and Grimes against Ireland. Apologies for any dodgy editing, not my forte!

We definitely have players who can compete on an individual basis with other nations but as many rightly have said the collective tactics are wrong and much needs to change at the breakdown. Quick ball allows teams to attack before defences get organised (I thought Italy recycled very well against England). Ill take 2 wins and not finishing bottom two for a change as something of a success this tournament as it is a team in transition and in development. For France I would make changes as part of that development. I see a lot of folk saying good things of Gilchrist though I haven't seen it for myself for Edinburgh yet. Personally my team would be;

Cross
Macarthur
Grant
Harley
Swinson
Brown
Barclay
Beattie
Laidlaw
Weir
Visser
Horne
Dunbar
Maitland
Hogg

This a team picked for their dynamism on the park to catch France out in Paris. I dont think Scott has done anything wrong but I would like to see a 10,12,13 axis that has continuity together play and feel they deserve a chance to show what they can do. I realise these sort of maverick changes will never happen but I live in hope. Saturday was miserable and dire, what harm can it do?

DrTreasure

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

Ok, I'm ready to talk.

After pyssing £50 against the wall to watch the Craig Joubert show, with special guests Greig Laidlaw and Leigh Halfpenny, I promptly proceeded to numerous watering holes to drown the sorrows of a nation. Any comment I made on the match on Saturday would have been incomprehensible, fuelled by a mixture of Ginger Grouse, Chardonnay, Stella and Sex on the Beach. I couldn't move on Sunday to express my dissatisfaction. So here goes.

Scrum:
Why bother? The thing is a mess. Joubert's refereeing of it was a disgrace t times. Wales got the measure of him better than we did and they played for the penalties. Fair play to them, I don't blame them at all. Wales were the better team on the day. Time and again we see articles in the Scotsman with a senior player talking about needing to learn to be more streetwise. Well go and blwydi do it! Stop talking and flipping learn the rules of the game better than the referee. Practice your skullduggery, whilst sucking up to the ref at every opportunity.

Breakdown:
Terrible. We can't sit back and let the other team make a mistake on their own ball. We need a real 7, it shows how much we are missing Rennie. that's not only at the breakdown but also as a link man. Want to see Barclay in the next game, at least on the bench. Nothing against Wilson, and he certainly deserved his call up and did nothing wrong, but we don't need another 8 like Beattie. Also, what were the props doing at the breakdown? I didn't see much of anything going on to be honest.

Attack:
Non-existent. Thanks to the slow ball we gave ourselves by not committing to the breakdown, and the rush defence, there was little to base an opinion on. If we're going to go for kicking all the time, I'd like to see some more intelligent kicks - little dinks in behind the rushing defence and crossfield kicks with Visser and Maitland in pursuit.

Defence:
Decent first up tackling, even Visser took down George North! Discipline left some to be desired, Jim Hamilton hang your head in shame.

Atmosphere:
I've never been to the MS but whenever I've seen games there on TV, it's seemed to be lively. I managed to be sitting in an area surrounded by really grumpy Welsh people. One guy behind me started moaning and shouting at people because 100+ people in front had the temerity to stand up. Another threw his toys out of the pram when people started to make noise whilst Halfpenny was taking half an hour to kick each of his many penalties, going on about how disgraceful it is, before going on to boo in my face (I hadn't even been booing in the first place) when Laidlaw was kicking, then asking me how I like it and setting off on a rant about how you could hear a pin drop in Cardiff when someone's taking a penalty. It's a game for pete's sake, if you want to sit in silence to watch a game then stay at home with the TV on mute. With the usual silence in Murrayfield, it is quite refreshing to have some atmosphere and he did take his time over them!

Next week against France I'd like to see:
Grant
Ford
Cross
Swinson
Hamilton
Brown
Barclay
Beattie
Laidlaw
Weir
Visser
Scott
Dunbar
Maitland
Hogg

Welsh
Macarthur
Low
Kellock (Would like to see Gilchrist/Ryder but we could possibly do with the Ruck Inspector's experience.)
Harley
Pyrgos (no specialist 10 on the bench but Laidlaw could go to 10 with Pyrgos on at 9 if required)
Horne (covers centres)
Lamont (covers back 3 and centre)

I know my team has quite an experimental look, and the backs are a bit unorthodox but I feel Dunbar and Horne are both ready to step up and may as well have a go. Laidlaw can play 9 and 10 so we may as well have an extra back on the bench. If Laidlaw has to come off, Weir is more than capable as a kicker. Hogg would probably give a good account of himself too. Having been sat on the Try line for the Ireland game, I can say his long penalty was straight as a die and only fell inches short. A very good effort for his first ever attempt in pro rugby! I would have no issue with replacing Horne on the bench with Heathcote, who seems to be playing well.

I'd like to see us competing at the breakdown, with quick ball coming to Scott and I'd like to see Dunbar running some good angles at OC to leave fat Bastareaud in his wake. We need to tire him out, but also look to hit Huget if we get a chance who wasn't looked the strongest.

Re centres, I think Scott lacks a yard of pace to play 13. However, did anyone notice that quite possibly the best kick (bar Weir's chip and chase) of the game was Scott's that bobbled into touch by the corner flag?

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:11 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Well we are both season ticket holders (or we both watch Edinburgh regularly) and both have opinons on how centres work interact, and whilst I agree he hasnt the pace to play outside the tradition 10-12 axis for us at Direct 12 level, all his most penetrative actions have been by his running game for Scotland, as opposed to his distribution game for us. His game is designed is to supply Lamont with some decent ball and space which in my mind he hasn't (and we have have used Laidlaw, Jackson and Weir inside of him with no real difference), its all very well lampooning Lamont but I have yet to see him put in any decent space and lets be honest he has some pace if he has some room

But certainly think that Scott / Dunbar is the midfield partnership for France, if you are considering Horne then I would bring him into the 12 slot to partner Dunbar

How can you blame Scott for not putting Lamont into space?! He's barely touched the ball in an attacking sense. Laidlaw kicked it away every time against Ireland, as did Weir against Wales. The backline has barely had the chance to do anything, which is why all this focus on personnel in the backs is frankly window dressing.

The route cause of our problems is that the pack are not delivering quick ball, and getting around the park enough to compete. The tackling was excellent against Wales, but all too often we'd chop the man down only to allow Wales to recycle effortlessly, without getting men over the ball to make it difficult. I genuinely don't think the All Blacks backline would have made much difference in the last couple of games.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:25 pm

The point is you cant lay the blame at Lamonts feet when he hasn't even had the platform to run at the opposition, he has had one opportunity in three matches and he scored a try with that. Are you are you saying that Scott has never rec'd anything at all over the last three games..... come on man behave.

Totally agree with you with the basic problems, slow ball, unability to retain possession, win at the ruck and breakdown. We had a decent pack last year and now we havent been at the races with regard to agression at the ruck, driving maul or breakdown.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:30 pm

Yeah I think the backs are getting a raw deal here although I was furious at Visser kicking it away aimlessly when he received it in the 22 with a bit of space in front of him. If he could just have run forward then chip and chase when the tackler had comitted himself. Instead, he just booted it right back to Wales.

As I've said before, reverting to type is not the answer. Give the ball to the backs and let them do their thing. We have a back three and Scott who actually support runners so no fear of isolation as used to happen in the good old days!

On another note - did anyone talk to any of the North Walians? Seriously, what a weird bunch. Welsh Wicker Man came to mind.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:32 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Are you are you saying that Scott has never rec'd anything at all over the last three games..... come on man behave.

No, I said last two games (or at least that's what I meant). Against Italy he did receive some ball, scored a great try finishing off a move, nearly scored another but for an excellent cover tackle and had an excellent allround game.

I agree though that by the same token as I defend Scott, it would be harsh to drop Lamont (i.e. limited chances). I just don't think Lamont should really have been picked at 13 in the first place, which is why I guess I'm not thrilled to see him given an extended run there. There are several specialist 13's playing better rugby. I imagine his leadership skills and experience of test rugby are the key factors in his selection, rather than his outstanding allround abilities at centre.

Still, if France go with Bastereud at 13, then Lamont's power opposite him may come in handy.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:33 pm

Great upload DrTreasure, rearly enjoyed watching that. thumbsup

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:34 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Yeah I think the backs are getting a raw deal here although I was furious at Visser kicking it away aimlessly when he received it in the 22 with a bit of space in front of him. If he could just have run forward then chip and chase when the tackler had comitted himself. Instead, he just booted it right back to Wales.

To be honest (assuming it's the same incident I'm thinking of), I was just pretty stunned that he could the ball in the first place. In an Edinburgh jersey this season he knocks that on, or slices the kick out on the full!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

DrTreasure wrote:I completely agree about feeling better about the Scottish back options than I have for quite some time. I can't imagine we will see Ansbro playing international rugby for quite some time yet. Was gutted when I heard about his injury as am a big fan of his style and approach to rugby and would love to see him back playing. I hear what you say about Horne, I think Jackson and Weir being at the same club has hampered their development at times and is likely to do the same for Horne. His future probably is in the centre, do you think he can offer more long term than Scott? It really angers me that they brought in Francis to Edinburgh when there are so many young scottish stand offs looking to develop their games, what a waste of money.
DrT wh was responsible for bringing Francis to Edinburgh ? Was it Bradley or some blazer at the SRU ? A truly astonishingly bad decision as he is a dreadful rugby player. Leonard looks a much better player and now we have 4 decent 10s at Glasgow - although like you I see Peter Horne as a i/c - and he has the potential to be a very good one too - kicking apart.

That's over a grand I have wasted in this years 6Ns - to see some tries at Twickers and v Italy. I actually enjoyed the Ireland game for edge of seat excitement but that dross on Saturday was utterly grim. Referee a total clown like some of the Scottish forwards - step forward Hamilton and Ford. Give the Warriors their players back to concentrate on the Rabo and let the rest go to Paris to salvage some pride. I'm packing my top away and now can only look forward to the visit of Munster to Scotstoun and to see some real rugby. Doubt if you will see any in Paris - France look garbage (Picamoles and Fofana apart) as well as us. Thought Italy were the pick of the 6 teams at the weekend tbh.
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:Are you are you saying that Scott has never rec'd anything at all over the last three games..... come on man behave.

No, I said last two games (or at least that's what I meant). Against Italy he did receive some ball, scored a great try finishing off a move, nearly scored another but for an excellent cover tackle and had an excellent allround game.

I agree though that by the same token as I defend Scott, it would be harsh to drop Lamont (i.e. limited chances). I just don't think Lamont should really have been picked at 13 in the first place, which is why I guess I'm not thrilled to see him given an extended run there. There are several specialist 13's playing better rugby. I imagine his leadership skills and experience of test rugby are the key factors in his selection, rather than his outstanding allround abilities at centre.

Still, if France go with Bastereud at 13, then Lamont's power opposite him may come in handy.

With regard to Lamont, (personally I would have played Dunbar from the first 6Ns game) he has played wing mostly I agree but he has done reasonably well at 13 for The Scarlets and Glasgow, he has had some good games at 13 during the WC for Scotland and he nullified Hook a few years ago when we played down Cardiff during the 6Ns. With regard to Scott I have been to all the games this year and whilst you cannae get the same view live as watching on the box, I have rewatched the games later, whilst I agree he was very good against Italy thats where it kinda ends as he was ok against England and average at best against Ireland and Wales. I am a massive fan of Matt having watched him come through the ranks, he deffo is a bit special, his defence is now up there and you have to take into consideration his inexperience at the top level. I am not a big of chopping and changing players for the sake of it, but horses for courses........ Horne or Scott...... Dunbar or Schlong

If Bastereud playes 13 then give Dunbar a shot at him, he is a fair lump and has the pace but if that is the case then I would possibly play Horne as he possibly can offer more at 12 with Dunbar than Scott.

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:37 pm

Some really cogent and interesting comments here. So I shall attempt to muddy the waters.
Yes the Welsh played Joubert like a trout on a line. But from the first minute we knew that was happening, Kelly Brown said as much to him after the first penalty. So why FFS could Ford not adjust the timing of the hit? That is part of a hooker's job is it not? Time for Dougie Hall and Wee Pat to share the duties at Paris.
Also, yes Laidlaw was getting slow ball but his default setting seems to be to kick, kick then kick. I wonder if Gary Armstrong is busy on Saturday? I feel bad criticising Laidlaw as he gives 100% heart and soul for the cause but is it not time he started playing some rugby: you know running with the ball, passing and other strange stuff.
Johnson must know that the Aussies have the saying, "Don't die wondering" well we'll all die wondering what might have happend if we had tried to play rugby against Wales. Oh yes we might have lost.
My team for Paris in the spring
1.Grant
2.Hall
3. Cross. (Murray be the better scrummager but the didn't on Saturday)
4. Hamilton (form dipped slightly on Saturday give him a bollocking just before kick off)
5.Kellock (runs the line out)
6. and only 6. Kelly Brown
7. Barclay (You know why)
8. Beattie (Will know how to cope with les grenouille)
9. Pyrgos ( he can pass and run, kind of)
10 Rhuarid/ Wee Dunky ( I don't know as neither have had any ball to work with, see above)
11. Visser ( although his loose kick to North led to their try)
12. Horn ( he is on fire, though it looks like Scott has the jersey since he can tackle and never makes any rickets, which is fine if you don't actually want to scare the opposition)
13. Dunbar (Schlong has done nothing wrong but is not a 13, if he can't get picked ahead of Horne and Dunbar at Glasgow then why does he for Scotland)
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

Realistically I don't expect SJ to make as many changes. Hey ho.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:48 pm

Blair's been blogging again for the Beeb, says some interesting stuff...
The problem with the way Scotland have approached these last two games though is that if the game is not won then people will talk about preferring to see Scotland throwing the ball around and losing, than playing tight and losing by fewer points.

But you only know that you've lost once the final whistle goes and I would rather be in with a chance of winning a game with 10 minutes to go…

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:51 pm

According to STV (Aberdeen) News this evening Johnson has hinted at 'major changes' for Saturday's game, mind you STV usually are next to useless but you never know.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:52 pm

I hope he does try a few things. The championship is better with Scotland strong.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:55 pm

jimbopip wrote:
9. Pyrgos ( he can pass and run, kind of)
10 Rhuarid/ Wee Dunky ( I don't know as neither have had any ball to work with, see above)
15. Hogg

Realistically I don't expect SJ to make as many changes. Hey ho.

Dropping Laidlaw he has the best kicking stats in the 6Ns........... Jackson to take pens? Hogg?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:09 pm

Weir can d the goal kicks - I wouldn't drop Laidlaw tho

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:17 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:According to STV (Aberdeen) News this evening Johnson has hinted at 'major changes' for Saturday's game, mind you STV usually are next to useless but you never know.

I really hope not, as there isn't a better time for Scotland to go to Paris. I don't know where they would be made though. I guess I would bring somebody in for Hamilton, but then Richie Gray already needs replacing and would make the changes at 7 and 13 mentioned. Other than that, I don't see the point. 3 wins would be a good tournament for Scotland and I'd imagine Johnson would be aware of that and won't make any changes without good reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:31 pm

Jimbopip got it spot on - get Hamilton and Ford out after their brain farts on Saturday - still would rather they just left The Warriors alone to get back to real rugby in the Rabo.

Back to top Go down

Post by ghad Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:55 pm

Agree 21st. Don't want to see Horne or Dunbar in the team as that would probably mean they wouldn't feature against Leinster.

Maybe if they came off the bench they could still play for Glasgow the week after? Having said that, Scotland really need Barclay - moreso than Glasgow.

ghad

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:05 pm

Hamilton has gone from hero to zero - Hang on lads ffs - Big Jim offers a lot and you need some grunt, you just need power and dynamism to go with the grunt, you can't chop and change all the time - Last week he was a Lion, this week he's a Lepper thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:According to STV (Aberdeen) News this evening Johnson has hinted at 'major changes' for Saturday's game, mind you STV usually are next to useless but you never know.

I really hope not, as there isn't a better time for Scotland to go to Paris. I don't know where they would be made though. I guess I would bring somebody in for Hamilton, but then Richie Gray already needs replacing and would make the changes at 7 and 13 mentioned. Other than that, I don't see the point. 3 wins would be a good tournament for Scotland and I'd imagine Johnson would be aware of that and won't make any changes without good reason.

Major changes for Johnson may not involve changing more than 2 players, eg bringing in a proper 7 and trying a different centre off the bench and maybe even Heathcote instead of Jackson as a sub. I expect Ryder is still seen as being ahead of Swinson in the pecking order so I expect he'll be the lock sub.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:31 pm

Richie Gray injury update
Scotland doctor James Robson said the scan confirmed the presence of a "grade two tear" of a hamstring muscle.

"The normal period of rehabilitation is in the region of eight weeks," he said.

Phewww, not as bad as I'd feared.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Mar 2013, 5:10 am

Damn - that's Sale's bid for the Premiership title in a bit of trouble, then.
Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 12 Mar 2013, 7:43 am

You couldn't let it lie could you...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Mar 2013, 9:08 am

So that's Richie out until mid May - will Sale have any games after then to help him prepare for the Lions? Should he travel...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Mar 2013, 9:16 am

Glas a du wrote:You couldn't let it lie could you...
Apologies.Very Happy
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 12 Mar 2013, 9:49 am

I'd like to clear something up for Big Jim.

He is getting abuse for what was a silly penatly to be giving away..

However

The ref was already playing advantage for someone else being offside so even if Jim had stood his ground, a penalty was going to be given in near enough the exact same place.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:39 am

Tom Ryder being ahead of Tim Swinson in the pecking shows poor judgement in my opinion. Ryder is no bad player, but he is not as effective as Swinson around the park. Swinson is that extra flanker our pack needs, whilst being proficient in the usual lock duties.

I wouldn't drop Hamilton for the penalty. It was a stupid thing to do, but he clearly felt that Phillips had his hands on the ball and that he could shut down the attack at source. A poor judgement, but given how nice the Scotland forwards have generally been a the ruck, I appreciate the sentiment!

I'd drop him because of the style of play I think would best suit Scotland in Paris. Quick, mobile, counter-attacking, feeding off turnovers. I don't think the current rules really do much for sides looking for a big set piece, so we need to adapt in any way we can to get Visser, Maitland and Hogg some ball.

Jackson really has farted in the proverbial 606v2 lift hasn't he! Now calls for him to be dropped altogether from the squad - was Weir really that much better??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:59 am

I think it's more to give Weir a bit more time in the drivers seat considering Jackons has had plenty of chances.

I agree that Hamilton needs a week off though. Nobody expects us to win in Paris so why not mix things up a bit.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:02 am

I think Weir was much better than Jackson - some excellent clearance kicks and of course his solo effort.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:05 am

I agree - Weir should start against France. I just think that Jackson hasn't done enough wrong to simply be ditched from the squad.

Heathcote is one for next season (or the summer). Let him continue his good work at Bath and develop. I don't think sitting on the bench in Paris will take his career forward.

I'm not mixing things up for the sake of it, in some fit of "why not". I genuinely think we can beat France on Saturday, but not with a slow and cumbersome pack. We need to sharpen things up so that we make the breakdown pure misery for them. Put them under pressure there and Michalak gets slow and ponderous ball, and with that sort of service there are few worse operators in international rugby. Let the French play to their preferred tempo and we could lose by 50 points.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:06 am

Indeed RDW - when Scotland got the 5m scrum after he took Biggar over the line, we should have scored from that - perfect position for Visser to take the crash ball.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:10 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think Weir was much better than Jackson - some excellent clearance kicks and of course his solo effort.

Two excellent clearance kicks (the other was Matt Scott) and one well judged fly hack. Not sure he created anything else.

I don't blame him at all (just to be clear), he did well with what he had to work with, and we've always known he can kick a ball further than Jackson (so can Dan Parks).

I just think that in order to properly judge either player, we need to change tactics, and move away from kicking everything (whether it be Laidlaw's or Weir's boot). No point in having backs like Visser, Maitland and Hogg if their only function is to chase after kicks.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:11 am

Jackson has had so many chances to prove his worth at this level - I'm yet to see him be anything more than average! Weir just seems to have much better core skills.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:18 am

Was Jackson not more than average against Italy?

I agree that Weir looks like he's going to be the more complete player long-term. But that's more a hunch at this stage rather than based on any real evidence. He still puts boot to ball too readily for my liking, and I'm yet to be convinced he's as good as Jackson with front foot attacking ball (not that Scotland ever has any).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:25 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Was Jackson not more than average against Italy?

Slightly above average. Maybe a 7. But Phil Godman would have looked good at 10 for us when you consider the kind of things Jackson had to do in that game! He just can't run games at this level IMO - I think Weir can.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next