The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calzaghe - does each Hopkins win help his legacy?

+19
Imperial Ghosty
AlexHuckerby
Pedro147
Super D Boon
bellchees
Herman Jaeger
Rowley
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
azania
hogey
Lance
88Chris05
Soldier_Of_Fortune
TopHat24/7
BoxingFan88
manos de piedra
huw
TRUSSMAN66
Adam D
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Calzaghe - does each Hopkins win help his legacy? - Page 2 Empty Calzaghe - does each Hopkins win help his legacy?

Post by Adam D Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

First topic message reminder :

Irrespective of the fact that some had B-Hop as winner of the fight, the match was close and the record books shows a Calzaghe victory.

So with Bernard winning another title, does this put into context how good Joe was?

Should he get more credit for that win?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Calzaghe - does each Hopkins win help his legacy? - Page 2 Empty Re: Calzaghe - does each Hopkins win help his legacy?

Post by Gee Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:38 pm

azania wrote:When he was beating people for fun, he was disliked.

JC to me is britain's best ever fighter. Give him some props.

Sadly beating the bum of the WBO month doesn't really hold too well with most fans in Britain.

He only fought Kessler and Bhop right at the end of his career. Yes good wins (some may say great) but his record doesn't exactly sparkle with names he arguably (note that word before jumping in) could/should have fought.

Personally I blame Warren as he appears to be the easy one to blame at present. Saying that he's been getting stick for years the useless monkfish

Gee

Back to top Go down

Calzaghe - does each Hopkins win help his legacy? - Page 2 Empty Re: Calzaghe - does each Hopkins win help his legacy?

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I don't know how people could score the Calzaghe fight in favor of B-Hop. He got out worked and clearly lost 9 rounds of that fight. He was gassing heavily between rounds and even had to fake an injury to get a rest.

I rate Calzaghe's win better then both of Taylors. At least he was competitive against Taylor.

Calzaghe won 9 rounds? Which 9 rounds were they?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Actually Az I agree with ya to an extent. I think Eubank's popularity soared after he started losing, especially to Thompson because it was seen as such a gutsy effort to take on a much bigger man and give him problems.

I cannot understand the enormity of the respect Eubank receives now though considering Calzaghe gets so much hate for being accused of ducking when Eubank publicly ducked the biggest US challenges and never unified.

Cannot understand either why he beats Collins in his supposed prime and was trigger shy after Watson because he wasn't exactly a blast em out of there fighter before that. Ewbanks always had trouble getting the job done early. Well that's for another thread but don't get me started on Bruno.........

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:48 pm

There is an argument for Calzaghe to be the best............

I think Bob Fitzsimmons but Calzaghe never lost and had great longevity...

Louis ruled for ten years did he fight stiffer competition and win??? no..

He's a top 10 ATG...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Louis gets props and is so high because he played a huge part in getting black champs universal respect and appreciation. Louis made it so balck fighters could be heroes of whites.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 pm

There are plenty of black fighters above him in the ATG list..........

Plenty of Americans admired Jesse Owens back in 36 so that's horse***t...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:17 pm

To be fair Louis opposition is a lot better than Calzaghes, his pre title fights were particularly strong.

I'd have Calzaghe at around 6/7 at the highest, modern day he's third behind Lewis and Buchanan.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Their skill sets weren'tt any better than Reid....Woodhall...Jones jr and Hoppo......etc....

Schmelling and baer were hardly Sugar ray Leonard's..........

Louis lost to the best two fighters he fought.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 pm

When he was clearly past his best but I would give Louis a clear edge over Calzaghe, it's not even close.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2