The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing in the Links Golf Cup next week (hopefully)!

+4
super_realist
Roller_Coaster
barragan
little_bit_of_draw
8 posters

Go down

Playing in the Links Golf Cup next week (hopefully)! Empty Playing in the Links Golf Cup next week (hopefully)!

Post by little_bit_of_draw Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 am

morning all,

slow day at work so thought i would mention that im playing in the links golf cup next week and wanted to see if anyone else off the forum was playing or had heard of it. i only hope the snow has melted by this time next week!! Shocked

ive included the link to the website as i have spoken to the event orgainser several times and he has informed me that he is already planning next years event, hopefully including a round at archerfield links. Yahoo

http://www.linksgolfcup.co.uk/

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Playing in the Links Golf Cup next week (hopefully)! Empty Re: Playing in the Links Golf Cup next week (hopefully)!

Post by barragan Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:39 pm

looks like a good event lbod, though you could get a whole year of golf in st.andrews for not much more Wink

barragan

Back to top Go down

Playing in the Links Golf Cup next week (hopefully)! Empty Re: Playing in the Links Golf Cup next week (hopefully)!

Post by little_bit_of_draw Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:52 pm

barragan wrote:looks like a good event lbod, though you could get a whole year of golf in st.andrews for not much more Wink

its somewhere i still havent played yet barragan, and hopefully i will cross it off my bucket list this year or next, but i had to go for the competition as we got a "last minute deal" and its the competition element i really want to take part in.

ive played all the courses but gullane number one and they are some of the best in the east lothian area (in particular the west links, and if you havent played it, you have to get yourself along) so it should be a good week!

i will let you know how i get on when i get back next friday night! Wink

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:56 pm

A nice event, but seriously expensive.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Neer heard of it, but it looks like a great little early season foray. Know people that speak very highly of North Berwick when they went a few years ago.

Scottish links sounds very cold and blowy in March but bet it's good fun.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:57 pm

That's expensive for a few days golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 pm

i've only played longniddry out of that lot - by far the worst i'm sure Crying or Very sad
still a lot to tick off on east lothian, though i added a few last year. got an offer to play muirfield this year at a very low price, but we're on holiday on that day Doh hopefully get a game at n.berwick, the gullanes sooner rather than later too.
got a probable game lined up at kingsbarns next month which i'm really looking forward to Fingers Crossed

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:16 pm

super_realist wrote:That's expensive for a few days golf.

i thought it was quite reasonable to be honest with you super. i know its about £90 to play the west links on its own and gullane one and 2 would probably run close to about £150 to play them both.

theres also the welcome drinks, post event drinks and 3 course meal and the £3000 worth of TaylorMade gear to play for. overall well worth the layout in my opinion.

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:18 pm

barragan wrote:i've only played longniddry out of that lot - by far the worst i'm sure Crying or Very sad
still a lot to tick off on east lothian, though i added a few last year. got an offer to play muirfield this year at a very low price, but we're on holiday on that day Doh hopefully get a game at n.berwick, the gullanes sooner rather than later too.
got a probable game lined up at kingsbarns next month which i'm really looking forward to Fingers Crossed

youll have to let me have your thoughts on kingsbarns as i may have the chance to play it for my birthday in june. i know its VERY expensive though (£200+) which is a lot to shell out for one round of golf. furious

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Getting on for much less than that...not as little as super gets it for though. Think Scottish residents get on for under 100 off the top of my head. Similar deals to Castle Stuart - £200 a 4ball if you live in an IV postcode.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Open comps are the best way to play new courses generally. Only entered Ladybank and Lundin Links so far this year, but they are only £20 each which is good value.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:43 pm

barragan wrote:Getting on for much less than that...not as little as super gets it for though. Think Scottish residents get on for under 100 off the top of my head. Similar deals to Castle Stuart - £200 a 4ball if you live in an IV postcode.

Barra, I get Kingsbarns for £25 for being a St.Andrews member (£360 a year +£140 club fees) and I will get Trumps new course for resident fee in Aberdeen too. Yahoo Yahoo

Love Lundin and Ladybank.

You playing Ladybank 36?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Nah - both 18 - not 'allowed' to play 36ers anymore... Rolling Eyes

Played Lundin about 5 years ago, but never played Ladybank so looking forward to that one in particular.

Which open's are you going for this year - Alyth, Newtonmore... I presume?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:51 pm

NOt sure Barra, playing more for fun these days than competition. You'll love Ladybank. One of the best courses around.
Will probably play Blairgowrie and Ladybank 36 holers and maybe up to Newtonmore again. Love that wee course.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:52 pm

£25 Playing in the Links Golf Cup next week (hopefully)! 3559488474

do you get guest rates for kingsbarns and st a's yet? Wink Whistle

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:52 pm

super_realist wrote:playing more for fun these days than competition
bit of handicap protection going on there ? laughing

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:59 pm

AS of April 1 I do Barra.

Suddenly Mac will be my best mate.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Nice one. How long have you had to wait/be a member for that?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Was on the list (currently closed) for about a year, then 2 years as a member before getting the points.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm

little_bit_of_draw wrote:
super_realist wrote:That's expensive for a few days golf.

i thought it was quite reasonable to be honest with you super. i know its about £90 to play the west links on its own and gullane one and 2 would probably run close to about £150 to play them both.

theres also the welcome drinks, post event drinks and 3 course meal and the £3000 worth of TaylorMade gear to play for. overall well worth the layout in my opinion.

West Links at NB is £65 at the moment. You can usually get someone to sign you in and knock another few quid off that as well.
Longniddry is £30 at the moment.
I'd guess Gullane 1 will be about £50 and Gullane 2 about £40, so you're paying a big chunk of money for those drinks and prizes.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:12 pm

That looks pretty good lbod. I always think a bit of competition adds to the experience of playing a new course. Are you staying in the hotel? That looks nice too.

Fingers crossed for some reasonable weather for you.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:51 pm

I concur with Ladybank. One of the best golfing weeks I've ever had. Last 5 holes all par 4's but all have a unique challenge. Would love another crack at it in the future.

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:43 am

Hibbz wrote:That looks pretty good lbod. I always think a bit of competition adds to the experience of playing a new course. Are you staying in the hotel? That looks nice too.

Fingers crossed for some reasonable weather for you.

morning hibbz,

well i have to say i am a little more hopeful to get some golf in now next week after looking at the forecast and a little bit of an increase in temperatures. looking at the longniddy twitter page at the min and they have 3 inches of snow today! Crying or Very sad

were not staying at the hotel but because i normally play golf every year at north berwick with my usual golf society, we have stayed at a few B&B's and weve managed to get a room at the garden flat B&B (which is very reasonably priced and offer a very warm welcome and a good, hearty breakfast in the morning) and its only 100 meters away from the 18th tee box at the west links.

myself and my wife stayed at the hotel once and it is a lovely hotel and i can also highly recommend the spa facilities. Wink

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:02 am

***100 metres from the 18th tee***

If you are a golfer, how can you even bring yourself to utter the dreaded word "metres"? God intended the world to be imperial, and golf was invented to be an imperial game. You drive in yards, putt in feet, and miss in inches.

Metric stuff should be parcelled up, encased in concrete and despatched to the Sellafield nuclear bunker, never to be retrieved.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:21 am

Steady George.

I drive in fields and putt in a haze.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 am

ROFL

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 am

George1507 wrote:***100 metres from the 18th tee***

If you are a golfer, how can you even bring yourself to utter the dreaded word "metres"? God intended the world to be imperial, and golf was invented to be an imperial game. You drive in yards, putt in feet, and miss in inches.

Metric stuff should be parcelled up, encased in concrete and despatched to the Sellafield nuclear bunker, never to be retrieved.

sorry george, i should have said roughly 109.36 yards to the 18th tee! haha.

on the bright side though i have received an email from the event organiser who stated that the snow has melted and it should be all systems go....... Fingers Crossed

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Good luck, I hope the weather improves for you.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:51 pm

George1507 wrote:Good luck, I hope the weather improves for you.

thanks, ive been told that east lothian has a micro climate so heres hoping!!

i will give you all my opinion of the competition next week when i come back.

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:30 pm

you should be fine.

i've a colleague golfing down in dunbar this afternoon and will find out how its playing tomorrow.

i popped up to duddingston at lunchtime for a wee bit of practice and even there the course is open with 17 main greens in play. it's a parkland course - certainly soggier generally than the east lothian swing so you shouldn't have a problem...unless there is more snow of course!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:54 am

barragan wrote:you should be fine.

i've a colleague golfing down in dunbar this afternoon and will find out how its playing tomorrow.

i popped up to duddingston at lunchtime for a wee bit of practice and even there the course is open with 17 main greens in play. it's a parkland course - certainly soggier generally than the east lothian swing so you shouldn't have a problem...unless there is more snow of course!

morning barragan, did you manage to find out how dunbar was playing yesterday?

ive played duddingston before and can imagine it getting soggy in intense rain or snow. havent even been brave enough to look at the forecast for next week yet but im not hoping for sub tropic weather. i think at the moment i will be happy to play full stop if the damn snow stays away! steam

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:02 am

dunbar was dry and lovely apparently.
snow in edinburgh forecast tomorrow morning... looks like it'll miss the east lothian swing though!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:19 am

thank goodness! i would be devestated if i had to miss because of snow in the middle of march! Sad mad

thanks for the update though!

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 am

I hope it happens, but the forecast is terrible... Fingers Crossed

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:30 pm

I can confirm Gullane 1 is brutal in inclement conditions like Saturday just gone Sad

See report on my birthday thread for what I thought of North Berwick Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Did the Links cup ever happen?

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:06 am

George1507 wrote:Did the Links cup ever happen?

morning george,

yeah the event did take place but i have to report that it was BRUTAL! Monday was cold and very breezy at Gullane 2 and Tuesday saw the worse conditions ive ever had the misfortune to play in at Gullane 1! Minus 8 with a wind chill, 30mph winds and driving snow made for terrible conditions and one guy even needed an ambulance to take him from the 12th tee to hospital after showing signs of hyperthermia! i had 5 layers of clothing on my upper body including 2 waterproof galvin green jackets, 2 pairs of waterproof trousers (one being a pair of galvin greens again) and i was soaked to the bone by the time i finished playing the 18th. (nice chip in from 90 yards though to finish with a par)!! Very Happy

Thursday was slightly calmer but still not great but thankfully longniddry has a few trees dotted around which gave a little bit of rest bite from the artic winds then friday we played at the west links in North Berwick and we had to contend with freezing temperatures, hail and 40mph gusts! 2 of the guys powercaddy trolleys blew over the 2nd tee and onto the beach it was that severe a wind!

great event and great organisation but severly marred by the weather. finished 6th overall out of 48 competitors and our team took first place so a pretty good week overall. would defo recommend it and im already hoping to return next year. i only hope the weather is better than this year, but lets be honest, it couldnt be any worse!!!!! furious

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:06 pm

That's hellish luck with the weather lbod Sad
I got very lucky at Muirfield and North Berwick the previous week but luck ran out at Gullane 1. I thought the conditions we had at Gullane were atrocious but pale into insignificance compared to yours.

Will you return before next years event to sample the courses in more enjoyable conditions?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 pm

JAS wrote:That's hellish luck with the weather lbod Sad
I got very lucky at Muirfield and North Berwick the previous week but luck ran out at Gullane 1. I thought the conditions we had at Gullane were atrocious but pale into insignificance compared to yours.

Will you return before next years event to sample the courses in more enjoyable conditions?

it was incredibly bad luck with the weather Jas but i guess we were all playing in the same conditions. i have a high ball flight so i was onto a sickner straight away but i still enjoyed the week.

i have played all the courses on previous visits with my golf society apart from Gullane 1 and that was the day with by far and away the worse conditions! typical really! haha. i can remember holes 1, 2 and 3 then nothing until the 17th and 18th. it was just a case of getting the ball on the tee, hitting it, walking up through the weather, finding the ball then getting your head down and hitting it again. it wasnt pretty! thumbsdown

one thing is for sure - i will never complain about the weather on the golf course again after suffering through those conditions last tuesday. they were the thing of a golfers nightmare. one of the guys that was in the same team as me and was out after me on tuesday said his hands were that cold and wet, everytime he put his hand in his pocket to take out a tee it felt like the skin was being ripped off the back of his hand. it was painful really. to rub salt in the wounds he topped every single iron shot he hit and scored the most points on the day (33 points) which won him a rocketballz rescue wood! Erm

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Lol horrific!!! The only good that comes out of torture like that is that it helps you to appreciate the rounds you play in relatively benign conditions!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Well done - to you and all the competitors. Sounds like you should all get medals!!

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down