The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Links Golf

+6
shclaff
Roller_Coaster
golfermartin
JAS
beninho
busted
10 posters

Go down

Links Golf Empty Links Golf

Post by busted Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:35 pm

Ive not played much myself, living as far away from the sea as you can,
But.....
Is this really the 'best' type of golf ? trying to bounce the ball onto the green by landing about 50 yards short.
How does that give you a better game , when it can bounce off in any random direction at any point?

Getting sick of watching balls trundle off greens already.

give me the masters anyday.

or is it just me.

busted

Back to top Go down

Links Golf Empty Re: Links Golf

Post by beninho Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Only played one links course. I don't like the element of luck so much but it's a different challenges. Though dont think the courses look pretty.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:04 pm

I'd suggest trying it first Busted, even if you find you don't like it you'll be left with a better appreciation of how good these guys are at adapting their "normal" game. It takes careful thought and a high degree of skill to score your way round a links course.

Also, I'd say Muirfield's fairways are less crumpled and so has less of the "lucky/unlucky" bounces that characterise Open venues.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 pm

I started golf on a parkland course and still play most of my golf on a parkland course, but I absolutely love links golf. I would never turn up the opportunity to play one when it presents itself. I've played about 10 or so different links courses and I just really enjoy them.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:09 am

I like links golf. It doesn't like me!

Maybe I've never thought my way round one very well and just enjoyed the scenery. I'll generally hit some belting shots but doubles (and worse) inevitably ensue. Natural game is to go at targets by landing, which just isn't feasible most of the time.

In terms of watching, I prefer the Masters too I like lush green, trees and the like on the surrounds. The brown tinge of Open venues (when/if there's been some sunshine...) makes it difficult to pick up the ball on the ground/green and even the sky (or the camera filters) cause problems.

I do enjoy pros struggling though when the greens get as slick as they seem to be now. Tappy putts drifting by, frustrated tap in's back missing. Does show you how good their chipping/imagination is sometimes too.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 am

Anyone played Hunstanton? I've never played a links before but playing Hunstanton in September.

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:33 pm

I love playing links courses, but there's no point in turning up and playing it and expecting to do well. It's all about knowing where to put the ball, or perhaps where not to put it, and you can't see that on your first visit. If you are playing in an event on a links, then go for a practice round - or two before you play.

I've played at Hunstanton. It's pretty hard in calm weather, very hard in a westerly wind, and practically impossible in an easterly.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:36 pm

shclaff wrote:Anyone played Hunstanton? I've never played a links before but playing Hunstanton in September.

Just up the road from me, but still haven't played it although that could well be sorted soon.

It's regularly quoted as one of the best links course in the country along with Royal Norfolk just up the road.

Be prepared for a VERY traditional club and course where you can only play 2 balls, foursomes or greensomes.

That aside, thems what plays it, in general love the experience.

And I love the challenge of links courses where the pitch and run comes into its own. Great days!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks guys. I've heard it's a bit stuffy. We're playing it after 2 on a Sunday so we're allowed four balls. £50 each which I thought pretty reasonable. Just a friendly game so I won't stress if I shoot a phone number

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Im not a fan of watching links golf to be honest so not a lover of the Open but at least it looks a bit prettier in the sunshine as opposed to a bleak rainy day.
Watching this week reminds me of my own play, hitting what I think are good shots but then watching them run 50 feet past the pin.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Schlaff you will without doubt enjoy Hunstanton.Be sure to have a read of the suggestions book in the clubhouse it is hilarious Ill say no more.Only one hole is a bit silly which is long par three middle of the back nine which is essentially to get from one side of the dunes to the other aim well left of the marker and hope for the best.If you get the chance also play Seacroft at Skegness super

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Cheers Dyna I'll keep a look out for it

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down