The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns is with Matchroom

+17
davidemore
TRUSSMAN66
manos de piedra
Imperial Ghosty
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
TheMackemMawler
themadworldofjb
huw
Rowley
hampo17
eddyfightfan
owen10ozzy
Adam D
azania
rob-glos
88Chris05
Seanusarrilius
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Burns is with Matchroom Empty Burns is with Matchroom

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:45 pm

Quick and inevitable

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-ricky-burns-inks-becomes-matchroom-fighter--63248

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Burns is with Matchroom Empty Re: Burns is with Matchroom

Post by azania Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:47 pm

Other than Clev, who is left with Warren?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:50 pm

azania wrote:Other than Clev, who is left with Warren?

He has the currently unlicenced Chisora!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:50 pm

Derek "he glassed me!" Chisora
Kevin "chinny chin" Mitchell

His son, Francis

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:52 pm

Chisora and Saunders of any real note, off the top of my head. Chisora still has licencing issues, I believe, and I suspect that after earning a handsome wad against Haye he's been living the high life a little. He was in Boxing News last week saying he was glad Warren's upcoming card was posponed because he's way over his best fighting weight and would still have been had he had to fight on March 16 as was originally planned.

As for Saunders, he's still just an up 'n' comer, albeit a very talented and promising one. With his stable so thin, however, Warren's going to have to have the three of them boxing in unison or something very close to it, because there's no way he can just have one of that trio headlining with the other two nowhere to be seen and expect people to turn up!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:54 pm

He still has Gavin I believe but he looks increasingly unlikely to fulfill his rich promise.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:01 pm

Put an article up on the Journal about an hour ago saying this was the worst kept secret in boxing.

Rumours are there that Matchroom will try and push through the Vasquez fight so hopefully we'll get a unification on these shores followed by a trip to the States for Broner.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:02 pm

Hearn will also be announcing another signing within the next 2 weeks before then shutting up shop. I fully expect given he has indicated that the 2 signing's he promised a week ago would be enough to warrant him being unable to commit to anymore they will both be relatively big names. You obviously have now had Burns leaving one more.

I think it is very likely to be one of Warren's stable once more...though for some reason think that it won't be Clev as I think he will do a Joe Calzaghe and stay loyal for far too long. So that leaves Billy Joe or Frankie Gavin....

Unless of course given the recent unraveling of events for Price and Maloney he manages to snatch David Price.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:07 pm

Would not rule out the Olympians Ozzy, Luke Campbell was sat ringside with him at the weekend I believe and given he won gold you have to think he will turn over soon, particularly now his skating commitments are behind him. Joshua is also a possibility.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:09 pm

Yeah I saw Campbell sat at ringside getting close to Eddie.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:11 pm

I'm rolling around the floor in shock at this move picard
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:11 pm

Aye, Hearn must feel as if he's been living in a fantasy dream world these past two years, reaching its zenith with him snatching Groves and Burns (both young with great scope for future investment) from under Warren's nose in the space of a week, but the gold rush can't last forever and he was saying only as recently as last week that, while he of course loves signing up big names, he's only interested in doing so if he's one hundred percent sure he can devote enough time to them to keep them active and get them worthwhile fights.

He's come out of this whole business looking very good, not least because he's stated over and over that he doesn't see himself as a rival to Warren and that he doesn't view it as oneupmanship when one of Frank's charges switches over to him; I doubt he truly means that, of course, but in public he's made all the right noises as opposed to Warren, who has bleated on about Hearn and his current operation at every chance like a school girl who can't get over her first love.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:36 pm

Theres the big announcement to be made on Wednesday. Would surprised if it was Clev. Clevs been talking his hopes of a fight with BHop so my suspicion is that he will stay with Frank for a little bit longer. I agree with Rowley in that it could well be an Olympian. My suspician is that it will be Campbell. Joshua has been firm in his stance in staying amateur for just a little bit longer.
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:39 pm

I'm sure I read that matchroom have a contract with Sky for 20 shows a year.
Given the amount of headliners they've now got I can't see the next signing being a big name established fighter.

Must surely be a new pro.

This time next year they may be struggling to keep all these fighters happy!

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:52 pm

I hadn't actually thought about the Olympians too much given the whole World Series and the fact they had all stayed relatively under the radar in terms of making noises about going pro but you could well be on the money with it being Campbell or Joshua, most likely the former.

Rob-glos - I don't think he will have that problem due to the fact that if you look at the fighters he has got he has a very good spread with regards to where each is in their careers.

Froch winding down with perhaps 2-3 (including Kessler) big fights left in him.

Burns - World Champion on the verge of big unification fights.

Barker/ Brook/Bellew/Frampton/Groves all on the cusp of title fights/eliminators where by the belts they will end up fighting for will be legitimate but they will not be against the biggest names in their divisions just yet.

If you look at the stable then you would say that, assuming Brook gets the fight against Alexander and wins, then over the next 12-18 months you will get the following:

Froch....Burns....Brook (headlining cards)

Then one of the following:

Groves, Frampton, Bellew,Barker (Chief Support Act)

then of course a couple of the prospects on the undercard.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:11 pm

You might be right Owen.

They did say at the Groves press conference that they'd lined him up to headline his own show and Bellew is also headliner on March 30th.

What they have now is a really good geographic split in the stable.

Groves/Barker - London (both big Chelsea fans so Stamford Bridge one day?)
Frampton - Belfast
Burns - Glasgow
Bellew/Stalker - Liverpool
Brook - Sheffield
Froch - Nottingham.

Gives them a chance to spread the shows about a bit.
Say what you want about Hearn but that looks very shrewd business to me.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm

rob-glos wrote:You might be right Owen.

They did say at the Groves press conference that they'd lined him up to headline his own show and Bellew is also headliner on March 30th.

Frampton - Belfast
Burns - Glasgow
Brook - Sheffield
Froch - Nottingham.

If your talking of Geography then maybe Clev is the Wednesday announcement as he is Welsh and there is a lack of Welsh interest there
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:19 pm

Who is Quigg with?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:20 pm

azania wrote:Who is Quigg with?

Hatton promotions

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:20 pm

From Frankwarren.com:

Since being promoted and managed by Frank Warren, Ricky Burns has earned just approaching three quarters of a million pounds and has had 7 world title fights in just over two years. Ricky Burns is under binding promotional and management contracts.

Following the announcement by Eddie Hearn that Ricky Burns has signed with him, W. Promotions Limited and Frank Warren are suing Burns for substantial damages.

http://www.frankwarren.com/news/press-releases/2013/03/11/frank-warren-statement.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:21 pm

I wrote an article on him a while back...have to try and dig it out..but it was before his now seemingly dominant grasp on British boxing, in which I basically said that as a business man both he and his father know exactly what they need to do to ensure success.

He is extremely clever and they as a family know the ways in which to maximise fan bases and really gather crowd support. The way they introduced the Premier League in darts is testament to that. A sport which is now so big is taken around the UK so that various cities can support their local man.

I think you also have to remember that Hearn is not daft in the sense that he knows that a number of his fighters whilst very good may not make it to the very top...but by getting them their own bills as well as putting them on others he is maximising the fan base while he can so that if/when they do lose at the very the support is their to put them onto a big card as chief support and further increase the revenue made from such card.

I said it before and I will say it again...I am a huge fan of Eddie and whilst of course having a monopoly within a sport can be dangerous he is one promoter who I don't worry about having a stranglehold on the sport because he is shrewd and intelligent enough to realise the way to make huge money in sport is to do it gradually...keep the fans in mind and not simply attempt to make a big buck.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:22 pm

themadworldofjb wrote:
rob-glos wrote:You might be right Owen.

Frampton - Belfast
Burns - Glasgow
Brook - Sheffield
Froch - Nottingham.

If your talking of Geography then maybe Clev is the Wednesday announcement as he is Welsh and there is a lack of Welsh interest there

Eddie said on Twitter the announcement is on Wednesday in London

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:23 pm

Really can’t see it being Cleverly as he will have a contract with Warren and not really sure Warren has done enough with him to be considered being in breach of contract as seems to be the case with Burns. Not sure someone like Nathan justifies the effort and hassle of a protracted legal battle to free him from said contract.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:33 pm

Warren is clasping at straws if he thinks suing Burns is the way forward. Of course we don't know what the contract between the pair contain but you would have to say that on face value Warren seemingly hasn't delivered on promises made.

Of course credit should go to him for getting him to where he is now as he did rebuild his career...but since picking up his first world title against Roman Martinez he had fights with Andreas Evensen, Joseph Laryea and Nicky Cook before anything remotely approaching a big name in Katsidis for the WBO title.He had the showdown against Mitchell...which was big over here but on an international level not so much and since then, when he should of been pushing on, he has had fights fall through against Ocampo & Walsh and the whole Vazquez incident has been an absolute farce.

At 29, approaching 30, you can't blame the guy for wanting to make the most of what could be the final 3 years of his career. He should now be in unification fights and stateside making some sizeable pots. Instead he is in training consistently in limbo wondering just who and when he will be fighting next.

As for Warren, the guy needs to know when to let go of what is now a sinking ship. Lets be honest if his previous record in court is anything to go by this will result in a long drawn out court matter with the end result being another loss for Warren and a nice large legal bill to pay off at the end followed by a counter sue for defamation of character....much like Hatton & Calzaghe!!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:33 pm

i can see some big legal battles over the next 12 months (if warren can afford them).

that said i can't wait for the next matchroom card

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:36 pm

I don't see why Warren has to mention how much Burns has made during his time with him.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:38 pm

As I said the other day Owen the best thing Frank could do would be admit the boxnation experiment has not worked and try and get himself back in with whichever TV channel will take him because he still has some young kids like Buglioni and Heffron who could potentially get a fan base long term but it is never going to happen for as long as they are seen by fewer and fewer people, and you have to remember as Frank’s stable diminishes you have to think more folk will cancel the boxnation subscriptions.

He does not strike me as the kind of guy who will do something like this but he must realise his current situation is unsustainable because his current stable is arguably worse than Hennessy’s and that would have seemed unthinkable not so long ago.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

100k per world title fight doesn't seem that much. Wonder if that is one of the reasons Burns is leaving.

Would also be interesting if Cleverley looks at that and has made less for his last 7 fights, could unsettle him as well.

Typical show of class from Warren to publicly announce that though.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:06 pm

Apprently the big name on Wednesday could well be Lee Selby. That would be a quality steal
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:21 pm

I can understand Manchester United having a dedicated subscription channel (they probably have more fans than there are boxing fans) but not a subscription based boxing channel. I don't know what he was thinking?

We pay for the BBC and it doesn't have commercial breaks. If ITV and various free view channels can keep afloat entirely through advertisement revenue then why not Boxnation? Why doesn't it come as part of a normal Sky package? Ok maybe not sky because of conflicting interests, but I'm sure he could have made a deal with a cable supplier such as virgin or something.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:27 pm

It never made a lot of sense to me mackem, the really strange thing is Warren launched it at a point when his stable was not especially strong to start with. If he had a Hatton, Naz, Calzaghe or Khan who has a fanbase you could half understand it as he would be able to sell subscriptions on the back of them but he did not have anyone of that kind of popularity or level.

However this could be a bit of a chicken and egg situation because had his stable been a bit stronger he would probably not have been getting the cold shoulder from Sky.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:29 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:I can understand Manchester United having a dedicated subscription channel (they probably have more fans than there are boxing fans) but not a subscription based boxing channel. I don't know what he was thinking?

We pay for the BBC and it doesn't have commercial breaks. If ITV and various free view channels can keep afloat entirely through advertisement revenue then why not Boxnation? Why doesn't it come as part of a normal Sky package? Ok maybe not sky because of conflicting interests, but I'm sure he could have made a deal with a cable supplier such as virgin or something.

Not just a Boxing channel mate, but a Frank Warren stable ONLY boxing channel. With a few International fights.

Brutal!!!

Gotta love Steve Bunce defending it to the death
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:57 pm

Rowley wrote:It never made a lot of sense to me mackem, the really strange thing is Warren launched it at a point when his stable was not especially strong to start with. If he had a Hatton, Naz, Calzaghe or Khan who has a fanbase you could half understand it as he would be able to sell subscriptions on the back of them but he did not have anyone of that kind of popularity or level.

This may sound silly but here goes...

If I was Warren and had some of the established names mentioned, I would charge the same price as a boxnation subscription but i wouldn't have channel.

That sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?.... to be charged a subscription fee for no channel? Well, yes, it does. Unless, you market that subscription fee as a block booking of pay-per-view events. Say £30 for a years worth of boxing. You put 6 cards on a year, one of your big names on each card, and the punters think "rather than pay £15 for one event, I can get six for twice that amount!" Naturally, for those generic sports fans who are only interested in the one name, you'd still offer one off payments (regular pay-per-view) for each event.

This way, before the introduction of boxnation, the fans who would have subscribed to your prospective channel anyway (the hardcore boxing fans) would still pay their money for the block booking of "pay-per-view" events.... (but you wouldn't have to pay the overheads of running an exclusive TV channel). That makes more business sense to me.

Also, I'd pay to advertise events on channels without any links to boxing, and pay for more column inches in the red tops.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:29 pm

According to Boxnation they have 2 major announcements coming up in the next week...

Place your bets...

I'm going with a hookup with Goldenboy UK starting with the Khan fight and the Mayweather bill...

Khan signed a 3 fight deal with Sky which expired with the Molina fight...
Bet Sky didn't bank on Khan losing twice and fighting a stiff!!

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:49 pm

1) we've signed a big deal with GoldenBoy UK, 2) we can't fulfill it, so are going into liquidation.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:50 pm

Or that!!
Very Happy

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:03 pm

Hearn could put together some top class shows now, imagine Froch, Burns, Groves and the others all on one show, it will never happen but he has so many possibilities now.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:13 pm

Hopefully we will see some stacked cards from Hearn in the future. As I understand it, Sky only have a limited amount of slots available for boxing per calender year so with the expansion of Hearns stable he may need to start stacking cards simply to get them all TV time.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

Problem will still be that SKY will allot him three hours so some of these guys may never get seen on tv despite fighting on the undercards

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:17 pm

I think what might happen is you get some great cards but they get put on ppv whilst the remaining regular sky slots are used up by lower key fights

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:19 pm

In which case, that doesn't sound like a good thing.

"Guys you don't really know...you can watch them...IF you subscribe to SKY sports. All the others, you get to pay an extra £15"

Come back Frank all is forgiven

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:22 pm

I agree....Soon as this guy gets a monopoly....PPv will be the norm..

People who pay for sky sports should get the big events...

If the Ryder cup...Champions league final etc are available why should Froch-Kessler be PPV............

That's a second division 168 fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:27 pm

Because boxing in this country is still seen as a minority sport amongst commercial giants and sponsors.

Events such as Ryder Cup and Champions League finals are viewed by tens of millions of people and sponsors such as Heinekin and any other advertising companies are willing to spend a fortune on getting advert positions during the broadcasting of such events.

Also remember that unlike boxing, sports such as football and golf are Broadcast during a more 'peak time' therefore the possible viewing audience is larger...another factor taken on board by potential sponsors etc of such events.

If boxing had that luxury then they would be able to afford to put everything onto the TV free of charge. As it is 'big name fighters' (which regardless of where you think they stand in the division Truss, Froch & Kessler are) require large amounts of money to fight one another...to pay for this PPV is a must.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:35 pm

Frank Warren is just screwed now! CLEV needs to do one.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:42 pm

rob-glos wrote:According to Boxnation they have 2 major announcements coming up in the next week...

Place your bets...

I'm going with a hookup with Goldenboy UK starting with the Khan fight and the Mayweather bill...

Khan signed a 3 fight deal with Sky which expired with the Molina fight...
Bet Sky didn't bank on Khan losing twice and fighting a stiff!!

im pretty sure warren has the rights to the khan fight, as he mentioned it on a boxingscene article.

forgot to add, he mentioned khan is a good way, not slaggin him off.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:45 pm

Owen that is a really poor argument.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:59 pm

Would you like to add why you think it is Truss or just leave it as a statement without any weight of argument/debate behind.

The point I am making is that the top fighters within a country never mind a division usually require top dollar to fight. Clearly part of the money they get comes from gate takings but other than that where else do they get it from?

I can see the case that PPV ruins boxing in the sense that it doesn't allow everyone to watch it and as you say since were paying for skysports then surely we should get all the fights just on that...

However as nice as that would be simple logic and economic reasoning means that at this moment in time it is just not feasable.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:08 pm

If it was a PPV worthy fight then American television would pay the money so they got paid what they wanted............

it's a not a fight that American television want.....So it isn't big!!

It's second division............

It's only PPV because of the greed of the Promoter............The fighters will be getting more than they are worth.....as none of them dominate their division..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:19 pm

It doesn't need to be big in America for it to be big in Europe and it is a big fight in Europe. I don't like it being PPV but the numbers will prove if its worthy or not.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:27 pm

No but the reason it's PPV is because the networks back home won't stump up the desired amount of cash............for the fighters purses...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next