The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France v Scotland - Match thread

+44
Looseheaded
Shifty
ALPanorak
nathan
kiakahaaotearoa
Biltong
cakeordeath
Cari
Glas a du
poddy89
Taylorman
TJ1
R!skysports
JDCSR
jimbopip
Imperialbigdave
Manky-Flanker
21st Century Schizoid Man
Tattie Scones RRN
Cryptoyourisan
flyhalffactory
sensisball
EST
Pat_Mustard
DrTreasure
Solid8
reallybored
IanBru
funnyExiledScot
RuggerRadge2611
doctornickolas
bsando
GLove39
EWT Spoons
Captain_Sensible
Luckless Pedestrian
NeilyBroon
whocares
tigertattie
ghad
Taffineastbourne
RDW
George Carlin
48 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

France v Scotland - Match thread - Page 2 Empty France v Scotland - Match thread

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:47 am

First topic message reminder :

16th March 2013
Kick off: 21:00 (Local) / 20:00 (UK/Ireland)
Stade de France, Paris

Match officials:

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)OK
Assistant referees: Clownshoes Clancy (Ireland) and Lourens Van Der Merwe (South Africa).
TMO: Carlo Damasco (Italy)

TEAMS:

France: Wink heart

15 Yoann Huget
14 Vincent Clerc
13 Mathieu Bastareaud
12 Wesley Fofana
11 Maxime Médard
10 Frederic Michalak
9 Morgan Parra

8 Louis Picamoles
7 Thierry Dusautoir
6 Antonie Claassen
5 Yoann Maestri
4 Sebastien Vahaamahina
3 Nicolas Mas
2 Benjamin Kayser
1 Thomas Domingo

Replacements:
16 Guilhem Guirado,
17 Vincent Debaty,
18 Luc Ducalcon,
19 Christophe Samson,
20 Yannick Nyanga,
21 Maxime Machenaud,
22 Francois Trinh-Duc,
23 Florian Fritz or Gael Fickou.

Scotland: monkey Headscratch

15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors)

14 Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors)
13 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors)
12 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby)
11 Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby)

10 Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors)
9 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby) vice-captain

1 Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors) vice-captain,
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby)
3 Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors)
4 Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) uncapped
5 Jim Hamilton (Gloucester)
6 Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan)
7 Kelly Brown (Saracens) captain
8 Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier)

Substitutes
16 Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors)
17 Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors)
18 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby)
19 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors)
20 Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors)
21 Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors)
22 Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors)
23 Max Evans (Castres)

Not considered due to injury: Alasdair Dickinson and Richie Gray (Sale Sharks), Chris Cusiter and Chris Fusaro (both Glasgow Warriors), David Denton and Ross Rennie (both Edinburgh Rugby) and Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby).

Form Guide:

France:

9/3/13 Ire 13 - 13 Fra

23/2/13 Eng 23 - 13 Fra

9/2/13 Fra 6 - 16 Wal

Scotland:

9/3/13 Sco 18 - 28 Wal

24/2/13 Sco 12 - 8 Ire

9/2/13 Sco 34 - 10 Ita

Official Match Preview (courtesy of Sportsbeat):

Philippe Saint-Andre has reiterated the point that his long-term objective for France remains the 2015 World Cup - but in the short-term he knows only too well the value of an RBS 6 Nations victory over Scotland on Saturday.

Saint-Andre's side and Scotland will bring the curtain down on this year's competition with France seeking to avoid finishing bottom of the pile for the first time in RBS 6 Nations history.

They remain without a win in seven Championship matches but Louis Picamoles' opportunist try and Frederic Michalak's nerveless conversion sealed a 13-13 draw with Ireland last time out and a first point of the competition.

Scotland were the last team to succumb to France in the RBS 6 Nations, last February, and Saint-Andre can point to the fact that after poor showings against Italy and Wales, les Bleus have demonstrated improvements against England and Italy.

But should they fail to beat Scotland at home this weekend and Italy get something at home to Ireland, they will collect the wooden spoon, something Saint-Andre is desperate to avoid.

"At least we will not be playing to avoid a whitewash," he said.

"It's important to see that the players showed a reaction. On Saturday we want to play the whole match with that intensity for the full 80 minutes.

"I will of course, as is my nature, assume total responsibility and take the blame for the campaign.

"The federation and the committee director gave us a target to prepare for 2015. We will continue to work towards that objective.

"I take the responsibility because I have always done that, I have never tried to shift it on to others in my career."

If Scotland are to ensure France finish bottom, they will have to defeat les Bleus for the first time in seven RBS 6 Nations clashes and will have the carrot of the possibility of finishing the Championship in second, should they win - and England defeat Wales - with a healthy points swing.

To do so however, they will have to improve on their performance against Wales last time out when too many penalties conceded saw Leigh Halfpenny kick the Red Dragons to a 28-18 victory at Murrayfield.

Regardless, there have been plenty of beacons of light for the Scots and interim boss Scott Johnson, with impressive wins over Italy and Ireland already secured.

But Johnson is under no illusions as to how his side must react to their defeat to Wales.

"We showed great heart and great resolve but we have to look at ourselves rather than at anyone else," said Johnson.

"I don't want to coach a side that apportions blame to someone else, we will go back and have a look and if we have to make changes we will do so, but we will go to Paris to compete.

"The frustrating thing for us is that we think we have a world class scrum and we think we have a world class line-out but we can't get to show it.

"When we get it right, we've got a quality team.

"I keep saying it; we have the ability to put teams to bed but we have to get the first bit right and we're not.
"We don't want our mirror to lie. Our mirror is going to be clean."

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:52 pm; edited 7 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

France v Scotland - Match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: France v Scotland - Match thread

Post by Solid8 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:12 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:So the pitch will be a mess then as per the Wales game. Frustrating for both sides I suspect, who'll want to be playing proper rugby, rather than watching the scrum be re-set for the umpteenth time.

You'd think in this day and age they'd have undersoil heating. It's hardly an old stadium!

If they could fix the toilets whilst they're at it, that would be nice.

I believe that they are currently saving their pennies for another new stadium.

http://www.espnscrum.com/france/rugby/story/176955.html

Also they don't actually own the current stadium so it is kind of outside their control.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

France v Scotland - Match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: France v Scotland - Match thread

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:13 pm

I very much expect that to be a key tactic. The maul is even more of a weapon these days because the ref will penalise the opposition if he gets a mere whiff of a player assisting gravity and bringing it down, and then Laidlaw can add the extras.

I just hope that Scotland will have a trick or two up their sleeves, and try something a little unexpected. Even a quick tap or two. I don't think we can simply arm wrestle our way to victory here, we have to put the French backs under proper pressure, and I don't just mean an arial bombardment.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:14 pm

If it is going to be a heavy pitch and not great weather I hope they keep with Michalak starting and fat bastereud on the bench!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by DrTreasure Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:17 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
reallybored wrote:Gilchrist deserves his start, he was the best lock during the 1872 Cup and has been Edinburgh's stand-out forward this season. Swinson scores a couple in the Dragons rout and is all of a sudden the best lock in Scotland, calm down.

Wrong. Plain wrong. Those of us calling for Swinson have been doing so before he scored two tries against the Dragons, and on the basis that he's played consistently well in each and every game he's played for Glasgow this season. He's tough, good at the breakdown and mobile; effectively a flanker able to play lock. For a pack that has been splattered in the breakdown in each game of this tournament, I think there are plenty good reasons to consider Swinson the right choice.

As for Gilchrist, he could have been utterly dire in each and every Edinburgh game this season and still be "Edinburgh's stand-out forward". Deserving to play means being the best in your country. There is no chance, no chance at all, that you can justify Gilchrist as having performed better than Swinson (or even Kellock) this season.

Yes, he may have a bigger future, but that doesn't factor into "merit" at this stage. As a partner for Hamilton I think he's wrong as well. I'm a big fan of Gilchrist, and expect great things from him over his career, but I do think he's a lucky boy to be starting this game.

Very much agreed. Swinson has been long highly regarded for his ability, performance and atitude.

This will be far from an entertaining affair due to weather, selection and approach. Not having barclay involved is a huge error and the balance remains wrong in the backrow. One thing I have noticed Barclay doing recently for Glasgow very effectively is acting as first receiver from scrum half but at times releasing the backline from there, otherwise taking into contact. Would have been useful to have that option for the national side.

DrTreasure

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:20 pm

I really am worried Gilchrist isn't match fit - when did Gilchrist last play a game? Looking on the Edinburgh website he's not played since the 15th February at home to Cardiff.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:23 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I really am worried Gilchrist isn't match fit - when did Gilchrist last play a game? Looking on the Edinburgh website he's not played since the 15th February at home to Cardiff.

Fitness and form are irrelevant. This is Scotland. Apparently he's "as keen as mustard", so I'm sure it will be fine.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:28 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I really am worried Gilchrist isn't match fit - when did Gilchrist last play a game? Looking on the Edinburgh website he's not played since the 15th February at home to Cardiff.

Fitness and form are irrelevant. This is Scotland. Apparently he's "as keen as mustard", so I'm sure it will be fine.

But I'm actually not that keen

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm

I'm getting some mixed messages from SJ. He says he wants us to win the breakdown battle and dominate the contact, then he picks the heaviest and least dynamic pack available, with instructions not to commit many men to the breakdown area.

With Strocker, Hamilton, Gilchrist and Murray in tow, without a recognised 7, I expect the French to have all the ball, and an open invitation to run at us and gain confidence.

Although I agree that we need to play in the right areas, we actually need to play when we get there. That means committing more bodies to the breakdown, and crucially having the players in the squad capable of doing that constantly throughout the game. Having Swinson, Barclay and to a lesser extent McArthur (who I think deserved to start as our no.1 choice) in there would allow us to to do this. Unfortunately I can see exactly the same pattern as the pervious four games, and a big French win.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:04 pm

Also worth mentioning something else that's been bothering me this tournament. Why do we have both Cross and Low on the bench? Both are tightheads.

Do you think the day will ever come when the only response we can muster to a Scotland selection is: "that makes sense"?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:05 pm

Well they seem to be converting Low to a loosehead and Welsh to a tighthead - could they not have just kept them where they were??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm

The combination of Euan Murray, who will be taught a scrummaging lesson by Tomas Domingo, as he was two years ago, along with the inexperienced and relatively light-weight Gilchrist means that the french half backs will get the proverbial arm chair ride at the scrum.

With Harley missing big Jim will have to jump more in the linout with the inevitable consequence that he gets caught out of position a la England and gives away even more silly penalties.

If France kick a few goals early doors then their confidence will grow as the game unfolds and their backs, even if old freddy starts, will do some damage.

Still we can always look to run it more, oh hang on SLamont cant pass so i guess we'll just kick it some more!

How Johnson can pick Gilchrist because "he is one for the future" when he clearly isnt the next best player in his position and yet not select Dunbar, Welsh, Ryder, Swinson or MacArthur who are all players ready, and on form, is beyond me.

P.S Big Al isnt an impact sub, start him or drop him for Ryder or Swinson.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm

Looks like SJ has decided its not going to be a free flowing rugby match, which if you look at the weather forecast it could well be a thawed sodden pitch. No other reason not to select Barclay at 7, Wilson at 8 or Swinson at lock.

Would have liked to have seen Dunbar starting or at least on the bench at least with the option of Lamont going to the wing if needed second half.

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:14 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Do you think the day will ever come when the only response we can muster to a Scotland selection is: "that makes sense"?

I really hope we can reach this mythical place one day soon. Is it really that difficult? Take the back row. Just play Brown, Barclay & Beattie. I really wonder what Strockosh has had on successive Scotland coaches. To suggest he is a better 6 than Brown and that subsequently Brown is a better 7 than Barclay is just plain wrong.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:18 pm

sensisball wrote:along with the inexperienced and relatively light-weight Gilchrist

He's 6ft 8 and nearly 19 stone. Gilchrist is not lightweight. He's a unit, a big and heavy enforcer. You're thinking of the wrong player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:19 pm

sensisball wrote:The combination of Euan Murray, who will be taught a scrummaging lesson by Tomas Domingo, as he was two years ago, along with the inexperienced and relatively light-weight Gilchrist means that the french half backs will get the proverbial arm chair ride at the scrum.

With Harley missing big Jim will have to jump more in the linout with the inevitable consequence that he gets caught out of position a la England and gives away even more silly penalties.

If France kick a few goals early doors then their confidence will grow as the game unfolds and their backs, even if old freddy starts, will do some damage.

Still we can always look to run it more, oh hang on SLamont cant pass so i guess we'll just kick it some more!

How Johnson can pick Gilchrist because "he is one for the future" when he clearly isnt the next best player in his position and yet not select Dunbar, Welsh, Ryder, Swinson or MacArthur who are all players ready, and on form, is beyond me.
It's stuff like this that makes me think he's not the right choice for head coach after all. What the hell does on at the training ground that makes Gilchrist such a shoe-in and Barclay such a pariah?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:26 pm

George Carlin wrote:
sensisball wrote:The combination of Euan Murray, who will be taught a scrummaging lesson by Tomas Domingo, as he was two years ago, along with the inexperienced and relatively light-weight Gilchrist means that the french half backs will get the proverbial arm chair ride at the scrum.

It's stuff like this that makes me think he's not the right choice for head coach after all. What the hell does on at the training ground that makes Gilchrist such a shoe-in and Barclay such a pariah?

I find myself agreeing with you George. When SJ came on board he promised he would pick on two categories: form and promise for the future. He then went ahead and played Dougie Hall over McArthur.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:28 pm

Agreed - when a coach ignores form players and just goes off on a hunch, the coach opens himself up to criticism if things go wrong (and praise if things go well).

It may well prove to be an inspired decision. I hope so. I just see no justification for it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:28 pm

FES he may look like he has the right dimensions on paper but i dont remember him carrying like Tom Ryder or turning over ball like Tim Swinson in the derby games, maybe i blinked and missed it. I also dont remember him taking much lineout ball from big Al either.

To my eye he looks like he needs another season or two of conditioning before he is ready for international rugby, he doesnt even stand out in a poor Edinburgh pack. I guess we'll find out on Saturday night (assuming the game goes ahead)

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:32 pm

FES he may look like he has the right dimensions on paper but i dont remember him carrying like Tom Ryder or turning over ball like Tim Swinson in the derby games, maybe i blinked and missed it. I also dont remember him taking much lineout ball from big Al either.

To my eye he looks like he needs another season or two of conditioning before he is ready for international rugby, he doesnt even stand out in a poor Edinburgh pack. I guess we'll find out on Saturday night (assuming the game goes ahead)

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:34 pm

Sensisball - I agree that his breakdown skills are not up there with Swinson, and he doesn't carry as you'd expect from a player his size (neither does Jim Hamilton as a matter of fact).

He isn't "lightweight" in a factual sense though, and this may well be the problem. Sometimes you can pack a bigger punch by shedding a few kilos. Beattie is an excellent ball carrier, despite not being the biggest.

Still, Gilchrist is handy in the set piece and will put some power into the driving maul. I suspect he's picked primarily for those two phases of play, plus his tackle rate isn't bad.

I don't want to be negative about a young and promising player being picked, and I hope he puts in a huge performance. I just feel a bit sorry for Swinson, you could have had 5 caps out of this tournament, and improved our breakdown skills.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:36 pm

sensisball wrote:FES he may look like he has the right dimensions on paper but i dont remember him carrying like Tom Ryder or turning over ball like Tim Swinson in the derby games, maybe i blinked and missed it. I also dont remember him taking much lineout ball from big Al either.

Actually at 6' 9" he is not too bad in the lineout, fairly mobile and hasn't been as poor as some are making out this season. I cannae understand why Swinson hasn't been selected ahead of him but it isn't the disaster waiting to happen. I would be more concerned with the fitness of Stroko and why Dunbar isn't even in the match day 23
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:38 pm

I'm a bit disappointed that Welsh, MacArthur and Dunbar haven't featured in this Six Nations from the bench and thought Johnson may have included them for this game. Whilst it's encouraging to see that - unlike Robinson - he has a rough idea of his first-choice team, I don't see why Low has been on the bench as loose-head cover and Max Evans has kept a place on the bench. We were beasted at the breakdown on Saturday and I'm not sure Strokosch as opposed to having a fully-fledged open-side is the way to go to remedy this.

I am hopeful that the SRU won't rush to find a full-time coach and will use this tour we have in South Africa to develop the team further. If he does that and the team plays well, I'm willing to see him take the job on till 2015.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm

The omissions of MacArthur and Dunbar have been the most disappointing for me.

MacArthur is effectively an extra flanker in the loose, exactly what we need. Get's over the ball quickly and is a tackle machine. It just doesn't make sense.

Dunbar could really bring something off the bench. He's a powerful and direct runner, and I think could cause France some problems. I just haven't seen Evans play well for some time now.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:53 pm

I would hazard a guess that with the tournament now a write off for Scotland, yet Glasgow having every chance of a home play off place in the Rabo, they've prioritised accordingly and not taken the risk of Glasgow personnel getting unnecessarily injured at this crucial point in the season.

Summer and Autumn Internationals would be a more convenient time for these guys to start.

Disappointing I know but it does make more sense.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 13 Mar 2013, 4:02 pm

I suppose Sean does have a fairly decent return against the French; four of his nine tries have come against them.

Very Happy

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 Mar 2013, 4:09 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I would hazard a guess that with the tournament now a write off for Scotland, yet Glasgow having every chance of a home play off place in the Rabo, they've prioritised accordingly and not taken the risk of Glasgow personnel getting unnecessarily injured at this crucial point in the season.

Summer and Autumn Internationals would be a more convenient time for these guys to start.

Disappointing I know but it does make more sense.
I genuinely don't know how I feel about that.

I suppose once Glasgow have won the Rabo and the summer tour is underway, I won't mind so much. king
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Mar 2013, 4:19 pm

Well at Schizoid will be pleased that Glasgow are now deemed more important that Scotland in the 6 Nations!

You do realise we could finish second in the table on Saturday, if we beat France and England beat Wales.

I personally think that's worth playing for, as is any 6 Nations match.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 13 Mar 2013, 4:35 pm

Absolutely agree, it is worth playing for but looking at the team selection, yet again I can't help feeling that we're in store for another mahoosive jobbie of a match.

Anything above that would be a bonus. Cry

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 13 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I just haven't seen Evans play well for some time now.

fixed for you, cant remember last time he started for Castres as well!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:10 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Well at Schizoid will be pleased that Glasgow are now deemed more important that Scotland in the 6 Nations!

You do realise we could finish second in the table on Saturday, if we beat France and England beat Wales.

I personally think that's worth playing for, as is any 6 Nations match.

Thanks SJ - can we have Big Al, Hogg, Maitland and Weir back too. They are going to get a 'seeing to' in Paris

Back to top Go down

Post by DrTreasure Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:18 pm

Is Glasgow's next Rabo12 game not a week on saturday? Surely, injury aside, all players should be available for it and the Scotland selection should be irrelevant. This selection policy is starting to feel familiar, must be some sort of special blinkers they have in HQ that stops them seeing what we can all see.

DrTreasure

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:27 pm

Re the discussion about Swinson earlier in the thread - pretty sure he has scored more tries (or the same amount) this season than any Edinburgh player (with the exception of Visser) Shocked

Not bad for a 2nd row

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:32 pm

I think that by 2014 we'll see a starting side of:

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Swinson
5. Gray
6. Brown
7. Rennie
8. Beattie
9. Laidlaw
10. Weir
11.Visser
12. Dunbar
13. Bennett
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

16. Welsh
17. MacArthur
18. Low
19. Gray
20. Harley/ Fusaro/ Wilson/ Denton/ MacInally/ Strockosch/ Barclay
21. Cusiter
22. Scott
23. Tonks

Until then we'll see the usual baffling selections.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:44 pm

Swinson is injured. It was the reason given for him not being included earlier in the tournament.

You would think Gilchrist was the spawn of satan the way some people are reacting.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:02 pm

Yes, IBD - I thought for a moment we were going to have to get an old priest and a young priest. Let's give the lad a chance. He'll look like lightning next to Jim and Al, who are slower than a glacial crack forming.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:59 pm

On a different note first game after the six nations is against Leinster for Glasgow, we may see Bennett vs BOD, that will be interesting

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:00 pm

Evening all, since the French haven't been playing an out and out seven we may be all right in the back row. Does anyone know how Strokes has fared in the T14 against Dusatoir? ( Just a thought how many French rugby supporters have man crushes on Rob Harley? While we gaze on Thierry D in wonder) Anyhoo, here we are going to Paris and complaining that the weather might make a free flowing game impossible: changed days indeed!
It is a big, heavy pack and I suspect that Strokes and Gilchrist are in to give some extra aggression, obvious in Gichrist's case as the MFL pack has been so menacing all season!
I have an awful feeling it will be a repeat of Saturdays fiasco with plenty of air- traffic and nothing for the back three. If we lose again does SJ fall on his sword?
So mant questions and it'll be half ten on Saturday before we're any the wiser, methinks.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:01 pm

I have nothing against Gilchrist, I think he is a good player and could well go on to fill the "enforcer role" (whatever that really is) in the coming years, I also really hope he has an absolute stormer. I just don't think he is the man to do a job for Scotland on the weekend, he and Hamilton are too similar.

My main gripe is the omission of Barclay. We have been rubbish at securing ball and the one guy who could really make a difference in this regard is no where to be seen. Judging by this selection, and the past four weeks, it looks like we are going to gift France the lions share of possession and plenty of opportunity to rediscover their mojo, allowing their notoriously fickle fans to ramp up the volume.

I had hoped we would have picked a fast, mobile and dynamic pack, including Swinson, McArthur and Barclay, to really get stuck into them. Alas we have two slow locks and two 6's starting. I also hope all of my ramblings turn out to be total nonsense and that Hamilton, Strockosh and Gilchrist get a brace each.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:03 pm

EST, spot on. Think what Fusaro could have done, if fit, or Barclay. I promise not to mention Horne or Dunbar either. OOps.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by JDCSR Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:15 pm

Can't believe the knocking that Gilchrist is getting on here. The lad was an integral (and ever present) part of the side that got to the Heineken cup semi last year. This year the Edinburgh pack have been utter dross yet he has still stood out head and shoulders above his useless team mates.

Those likening him to Big Jim, stating that he's a big, slow 'enforcer' type lock must have rarely seen him play. Whilst he's big enough to carry out that supposed role he offers far more as he's very athletic for his size. He's big, brave, good in the line out and the scrum, he hits rucks hard, carries hard and tackles all day. I don't believe in this bilge about 'enforcers' and 'line out athletes' in the second row anyway. Hamilton and Kellock both can be pigeon holed into those roles and both should be behind Gray, Gilchrist, McKenzie, Swinson and Ryder who are all round rugby players able to contribute equally in every part of the pitch.

Ryder and Swinson are both excellent players by the way, I love how abrasive they are. A lot of Edinburgh fans cry out for a big lock to partner Gilchrist all the time but watching a couple Glasgow games would clearly show that size is secondary to attitude. Both would be worthy shouts for Scotland places, especially above Kellock on the bench. But Gilchrist more than deserves his shot, he's played in a p1ss poor (seriously sh1t in fact) pack all season and still more than pulled his weight. I predict that he will have as good a game as it's possible to have considering we will likely see none of the ball and get hammered unless we have a change of tactics. If we play well and he gets the support from the rest of the pack that's lacking at Edinburgh then I think he will excel.

JDCSR

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm

Cheers JDCSR.

Johnson mentioned Gilchrist before the tournament but said his ankle injury had ruled him out of selection for the first couple weekends. Give the lad a chance, for a 22 year old he looks a hell of prospect, not just because of his size but he looks like an intelligent rugby player.

I'm disappointed that Dunbar hasn't been given a shot in this 6 nations, maybe a little raw but he has the uncanny ability to get over the gain-line and always looks for the off-load. His time will come though and long-term he'll contest the 12 shirt with Scott in my opinion.

MacArthur is another one who'll get a chance in the next 12 months, solid at the set-piece but gets about it the loose and I don't think he'd have let us down this 6 Nations.

Shame that Harley has been dropped but it's another young player to get some experience and perform in a winning team. Long-term he'll be the guy breathing down Brown's neck, which is no bad thing.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:55 pm

George Carlin wrote:Yes, IBD - I thought for a moment we were going to have to get an old priest and a young priest. Let's give the lad a chance. He'll look like lightning next to Jim and Al, who are slower than a glacial crack forming.

Love it notworthy
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:59 pm

JDCSR (welcome by the way) and reallybored

Agree with you 100%

He has had a pasting on this thread and he has been playing pretty much ok in a rubbish pack all season, god knows what he will do with a half decent Scottish front five
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 9:41 am

I agree that some of the comments regarding Gilchrist are unfair. He is one of Edinburgh's best players and works really hard at the rucks and he gets about the park.

Ergo by that logic he offers a lot more than Hamilton and Kellock.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 14 Mar 2013, 9:58 am

Do not know much about the lad, but even if it might be slightly earlier than expected, I am happy to be bringing in a few people who will feature in the future. We need to use these to develop the players on the fringe and if he is considered good enough, he is old enough

hope he has a good game and I will look out for him

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 10:39 am

French team named

15 Yoann Huget,
14 Vincent Clerc,
13 Mathieu Bastareaud,
12 Wesley Fofana,
11 Maxime Médard,
10 Frederic Michalak, Very Happy
9 Morgan Parra,

8 Louis Picamoles,
7 Thierry Dusautoir,
6 Antonie Claassen,
5 Yoann Maestri,
4 Sebastien Vahaamahina,
3 Nicolas Mas,
2 Benjamin Kayser,
1 Thomas Domingo.

Replacements: 16 Guilhem Guirado, 17 Vincent Debaty, 18 Luc Ducalcon, 19 Christophe Samson, 20 Yannick Nyanga, 21 Maxime Machenaud, 22 Francois Trinh-Duc, 23 Florian Fritz or Gael Fickou.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 11:36 am

Good that Freddy is starting but that is a pretty monstrous pack of forwards. Grant will more than have his hands full with Mas and Domingo has man shamed Euan Murray just about every time they have met on an international field.

After the debacle Joubert made of the Scrum against Wales I hope our welsh ref will do us a favour and be consistent at Scrum time.

Even if Owens is fair at the scrums I still expect us to be on the wrong end of the Scrummaging side of things.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:06 pm

Would like to see Fickou get a run, he looks like a bright prospect for France.

Summed it up pretty well Radge, I think Andy Nicol one year was bigging up the scots scrum before France game only for it to be totally annihilated. I'm fully expecting Scotland to struggle. But on the plus side, it'll be wet, so perhaps Owens will just try and speed things up a bit and tell teams to use the ball if a scrum collapses but the ball is available.

Looking forward to this game Smile

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:11 pm

Delighted to see Michalak at 10, I hope he takes the kicks at goal.

Unlike you Bsando, I don't want to see Fickou at all! He's a very good player, and once France figure out that Fofana and Fickou could make a devastating combination, we're all in trouble.

Regarding the scrums, I don't fancy our chances, but if we muck about with early and soft hits like the Welsh, we shouldn't need to worry much about the scrum, as if Owens is half as bad as Joubert, not a single scrum will be allowed to complete! Not scrummaging seems to be the best bet these days.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 14 Mar 2013, 4:58 pm

Anyone see the articles and letters on the Herald sports pages today re scrums - time for the usual inebriated, inaction from the cretins at the IRB perhaps ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next