The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most recorded fights by a Professional Boxer...

5 posters

Go down

The most recorded fights by a Professional Boxer... Empty The most recorded fights by a Professional Boxer...

Post by School Project Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:21 pm

A little fun to take us away from Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn for the afternoon...

I was thinking of who actually holds the title of most professional fights recorded for a pro boxer?

The name Len Wickwar crops up.

His record consists of 468 fights over a 21 year period (this includes a 6 year lay off during WW2). To put this into consideration:

Of those 16 years he was active, he would fight and average 11 fights a year - which isn't uncommon during the pre war, but given the amount of years he was active and his record of:

W 339 (KO - 93)
L 86 (KO - 32)
D 42

and a ridiculous amount of rounds (3985) - I was wondering if ANYONE has found a fighter with a similar record?

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=024129&cat=boxer

Last edited by School Project on Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

School Project

Back to top Go down

The most recorded fights by a Professional Boxer... Empty Re: The most recorded fights by a Professional Boxer...

Post by Rowley Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:23 pm

Think you have spoilt your own thread mate as I am fairly sure Wickmar has the record.

Of top tier guys believe Greb is touching 300 which is a hell of an amount for someone who is not operating at journeyman level.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The most recorded fights by a Professional Boxer... Empty Re: The most recorded fights by a Professional Boxer...

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

Yeah, Len Wickwar is the generally-accepted name for that question.

I believe Jack Britton has the most official fights of any world champion in history, ranging between 330 and 360-odd depending on which sources you choose to believe.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:43 pm

You've answered your own thread. I guess a modern day equivalent would Peter Buckley.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Yeah, Len Wickwar is the generally-accepted name for that question.

I believe Jack Britton has the most official fights of any world champion in history, ranging between 330 and 360-odd depending on which sources you choose to believe.

Cheers both!

Greb and Britton are good shouts as they were both levels about Wickwar it seems (Warwick only winning some unknown title and £100)!

I'm not up to scratch on my pre-war boxers (apart from Armstrong), just trying to scrub up on my knowledge and finding some wacky boxing facts out this afternoon (very slow day in the office!!!). It's obvious the amateur game has changed everything in recent times in terms of records... and of course good ol' Elf an' Safety prevents boxers from fighting every week.

Any ideas on the longest run of Wins (pre-war?) :P

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm

School Project wrote:
Any ideas on the longest run of Wins (pre-war?) :P

No idea but if you want general records believe Archie Moore holds the record for most wins by KO, am not 100% certain but believe Sam Langford is second on the list.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:51 pm

Aye Rowley, Chelsea's own Billy Bird completes the top three for career knockouts, I think, but against some pretty dire opposition!

I believe that the longest pure winning run was Chavez's 87-0 start to his career, while the longest undefeated run (so including draws) was good old Hal Bagwell, another British fighter but, once more, against largely shocking opposition.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

Yeah Archie Moore had a sick number of KO's from what I remember? 200-odd fight career 180 wins (130 KO?).

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Thu 14 Mar 2013, 5:15 pm

School Project wrote:

Of those 16 years he was active, he would fight and average 11 fights a year

Surely if he had 468 fights over 16 active years, the average would be 29 fights a year...

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down