The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions Back Row

+5
reallybored
RuggerRadge2611
welshboii15
Geordie
robshaw4england
9 posters

Go down

Lions Back Row Empty Lions Back Row

Post by robshaw4england Fri 15 Mar 2013, 12:27 am

6. C.Robshaw (England, capt)
7. S.Warburton (Wales)
8. J.Heaslip (Ireland)

19. S.O'Brien (Ireland)

With T.Faletau (Wales), T.Wood (England) and J.Tipuric (Wales) in the squad.

I think Gatland will play Robshaw at 6, and it will be hailed as a master-stroke. Even though it's where he has played most of his professional rugby career up until the end of the 2010-2011 season. He will most likely and rightfully be named captain of the tour, and if he's playing at 6 he will have less pressure on him for a starting position if he was to play at 7. I'm hoping Warburton starts to build some form as he is a very classy player and would be what we needed to negate the likes of Hopper or Gill (Maybe even Smith!). My choice of number 8 was the hardest decision. I would have liked to include O'Brien in my starting XV, but considering he has not played at no.8 for a while and I couldn't select him ahead of Robshaw or Warburton, I thought he was the ideal bench candidate to cover all three back row positions to a very high standard. So, it was really a coin toss between Heaslip and Faletau. Neither have been in great form this six nations. However, they have been consistent without sparkling. I believe that due to the fact Heaslip has more experience both internationally and on the previous Lions tour, if his form improves towards the end of the season, he will probably edge it.

Unlucky to miss out: T.Croft (England), S.Ferris (Ireland), K.Brown (Scotland), R.Jones (Wales), D.Lydiate (Wales)

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Lions Back Row Empty Re: Lions Back Row

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:36 am

As Warburtons form has began to return i have thought more and more about a flank pairing of Robshaw and Warburton. That would give you so much in all departments...not to mention leadership.

8 is a big problem for me...we need a monster carrier as neither Warbs or Robshaw really excell there...so O'Brien is the main man...but as you say not really an 8. Morgan cold be an option if he was fit and firing...but it'll probably come down to Heaslip v Faletau

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:31 am

I like the sound of the robshaw faletau and Warburton back row, SOB faletau and warburton or even the robshaw SOB warburton.
IMO iver one of them back rows are going to be hard to deal with

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:42 am

The thing that really bothers me is Warburton comes back has one good game and is all of a sudden back in contention.

Kelly Brown has been outstanding in every game he has played and is still leading the Tackle & Turnover count in the 6N.

Not really sure what else he can do to get noticed.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:46 am

Rugger,

The back row will be one of the toughest decisions...i suggested the above as an option...but i would have no problems with Kelly brown being involved or starting...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:48 am

IMO Kelly brown got knocked back in my teams because he was where sam Warburton was but sam just proved how much better he is

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:48 am

Don't discount Beattie at 8, most dynamic ball carrier of the current options.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:52 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:The thing that really bothers me is Warburton comes back has one good game and is all of a sudden back in contention.

Kelly Brown has been outstanding in every game he has played and is still leading the Tackle & Turnover count in the 6N.

That tackle count is expected with the amount of possesion Ireland had.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:54 am

The thing with Beattie is that if there are a lot of 'carrying' options elsewhere he may be less useful that Morgan or what Heaslip should be - someone who will always make ground and tie in defenders in the congested regions of the pitch.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:58 am

Massive shame that Lydiate has been injured.

I like the look of Robshaw and Warburton on the flanks.
Faletau outplayed Heaslip in the first game but both have been decent.

There have been very few line breaks from any player from the home nations..
Faletau probably edges it for the 8 shirt.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:02 am

Warburton is a proper 7 though, Kelly Brown is a 6 and has been covering 7 admirably in the absence or Barclay or Rennie for Scotland.

His stats for the Sarries show pretty much the same, high tackle count and high turnover rate. The man works really hard and I feel isn't getting as much credit as he deserves.

Beattie too has been really good for Scotland and I reckon is a far better player currently than Heaslip or the Injured Morgan. The no.8 contest at the moment is between Faleteu and Beattie. If Both play well at the weekend it could be a tough decision for Gatts.

Beattie will also be familiar with his opposition and his tustle with Picomoles will be a good un'.

No matter what happens there will be some brilliant backrowers left behind.

Even on the injured list we could have :

6. Ferris/Lydiate
7. Rennie
8. Morgan

That's a world class backrow combination that isn't even playing at the moment!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 15 Mar 2013, 12:12 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:The thing that really bothers me is Warburton comes back has one good game and is all of a sudden back in contention.

Apply as a Welsh citizen?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down