The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v England prediction

+22
robbo277
t1000advancedprototype
yappysnap
majesticimperialman
TJ1
Heaf
stub
lauriehow
dragonbreath
tomhughesnice
rainbow-warrior
Cyril
nathan
Barney McGrew did it
nobbled
doctornickolas
maestegmafia
RubyGuby
Jimpy
AlastairW
Duty281
sirBiggles
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales v England prediction Empty Wales v England prediction

Post by sirBiggles Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 4:03

My prediction is that you will see England play this game in a highly professional manner, which will translate to the most boring, forward driven, defensive, stick it up your jumper game of rugby ever witnessed.

I say this not as a wind up, but just think the pscychie between the two teams are different.

I believe that if Wales where in England's position, the romance of a Grand Slam out weighs everything else. However, I believe the English professional mindset will say the 6 Nations Title is the goal and its the same title and trophy, Grand Slam or not.

I therefore predict a tight but defensive game plan by England where their objective will be to protect their 7 lead.

If they had done a job last weekend against Italy, things would likely be different, as they'd have a bigger safety net on the title, and hence likely to risk a bit for the Grand Slam. Or personally I would have preferred a smaller points difference, which would have got closer to a winner takes all. But as it stands I can see England playing a game just to protect its position, which is likely to be a massive anticlimax.

I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a cracker.....

Any thoughts ?

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Wales v England prediction Empty Re: Wales v England prediction

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 7:18

Rubbish. England will be playing to win, not to lose by less than 7. They have little to fear from a Welsh team who hasn't done much since last year's Six Nations.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 8:35

My prediction is that I will hide behind the sofa, hugging my beer, trying not to have a heart attack and swing wildly between uninformed, blind optimism and deepest pits of blackest despair.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 8:38

Duty281 wrote:Rubbish. England will be playing to win, not to lose by less than 7. They have little to fear from a Welsh team who hasn't done much since last year's Six Nations.

Equally, its just as likely Wales will be playing a game that ensures they win by just enough. As was alluded to on The rugby Club last night, by Scott Quinnell, its not going to be a pretty affair.

Of course, if it isn't, it will be down to the mindset of both teams, not just England as the Broken Record Biggles will try to have you believe.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:10

It will largely be a punt fest between Farrell and Goode and Biggar and 1/2p - It will then be a battle for the break down and the turnover. It will be a mighty battle up front of course and discipline will be key; this is where Wales need to target Farrell and Ashton and England Ian Evans. After 50 mins I see this game breaking up and then it becomes anyones with the team with the most composure likely to come out on top. I think England will have more composure at this stage unless Biggar can bring his Opsreys form to the table thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:14

Jimpy wrote:
Equally, its just as likely Wales will be playing a game that ensures they win by just enough.

So you accept that Wales are more than capable of beating England by far more than the 8 points needed then. I personally think the 2 sides are so close that an 8 point win is going to be very difficult.

The point I was making is Wales have to go out and win by 8 points, where England start 8 points up. England being the professional group they are, will see them defending that lead to make sure they take the title.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:17

Wales will be going out to win and 1 point would be enough - Both teams are also capable of beating each other by more than 7 or 8 - I think it's 7 that Wales need as we are ahead on trys thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:23

sirBiggles wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Equally, its just as likely Wales will be playing a game that ensures they win by just enough.

So you accept that Wales are more than capable of beating England by far more than the 8 points needed then. I personally think the 2 sides are so close that an 8 point win is going to be very difficult.

The point I was making is Wales have to go out and win by 8 points, where England start 8 points up. England being the professional group they are, will see them defending that lead to make sure they take the title.

Could they? Of course they could. Will they? Unlikely.

As has been said elsewhere, England have scored 60 points off the boot in this 6N so far. Wales have given away 14 penalties. Its reasonable to assume that England will score 15 points from penalties in this match, meaning that Wales need to score 22 (4 scores) or more to lift the title. No team has scored more than 20 points against England in this 6N so far, Scotland scored 4 times but only managed 18 points.

In other words, its a big ask. But yes, i'll grant you it is possible. Don't think Wales are that good collectively though. England on the other hand exceed the sum of their individual parts and are a better team, probably more so now after the wake-up call last week.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:30

To be honest the game will be decided by the penalty count and who the ref sees as being the more legally abiding team at break down and scrum.

England and Wales both have accurate goal kickers and both have fly halves who would rather kick than run.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:33

maestegmafia wrote:To be honest the game will be decided by the penalty count and who the ref sees as being the more legally abiding team at break down and scrum.

England and Wales both have accurate goal kickers and both have fly halves who would rather kick than run.

Walsh has alluded that he will be watching the 'Welsh reluctance to offer the hit' at scrum very closely.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:36

My hope is that Wales score an early converted try to bring the game effectively back to 0 - 0.

Wales have given away far too many silly penalties this year which you can't do with Farrell kicking the points because he doesn't miss many. England will also be wary of doing the same with Halfpenny able to kick from almost anywhere.

I honestly don't think England will want to keep it tight. I think Wales have the beating of them at scrumand breakdown so I think they will want the ball away from there quickly. Wales may choose the pick and drive that worked so well early doors against Scotland and we then abandoned after 10 minutes for some reason.

It's oing to be fascinating. I think Wales can win but 7 points is a decent head start in these sort of contests. Can't help thinking for Wales that a couple of less penalties conceded against Scotland or taking a few chances could see us in the driving seat for this game.

What the hell, Wales 23 v 15 England.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:38

Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:To be honest the game will be decided by the penalty count and who the ref sees as being the more legally abiding team at break down and scrum.

Walsh has alluded that he will be watching the 'Welsh reluctance to offer the hit' at scrum very closely.

Quote for that at all Jimpy?

I think it would be a shame for a ref to go into a game already 'looking' to penalise one side (and a slur on the ref if it isn't true), and over the last few years both Steve Walsh & his hair seems to be one of the few refs that don't make a complete hash up of high stakes games.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:38

It's going to be battle of possession vs position. Both sides kicking for territory then a massive scrap for possession.
England have the edge on the kicking with two fullbacks and Wales possibly the edge at the breakdown if S Warburton has a good game.
Definitely close - hope England can maintain their discipline. If Wales come out too fired up England could capitalize.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:42

Jimpy wrote:

Do you have a link to where he said that?

I googled what you wrote and there are no links?

Why would we not be easily able to find any evidence of what you stated Steve Walsh said?

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:51; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:47

sirBiggles wrote:My prediction is that you will see England play this game in a highly professional manner, which will translate to the most boring, forward driven, defensive, stick it up your jumper game of rugby ever witnessed.

I say this not as a wind up, but just think the pscychie between the two teams are different.

I believe that if Wales where in England's position, the romance of a Grand Slam out weighs everything else. However, I believe the English professional mindset will say the 6 Nations Title is the goal and its the same title and trophy, Grand Slam or not.

I therefore predict a tight but defensive game plan by England where their objective will be to protect their 7 lead.

If they had done a job last weekend against Italy, things would likely be different, as they'd have a bigger safety net on the title, and hence likely to risk a bit for the Grand Slam. Or personally I would have preferred a smaller points difference, which would have got closer to a winner takes all. But as it stands I can see England playing a game just to protect its position, which is likely to be a massive anticlimax.

I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a cracker.....

Any thoughts ?

Is this yet more irony on 606? You do know that wales have spent the last couple of years playing, what you'd call, "the english way" don't you?
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 9:53

thumbsup Barney - How can we be playing the "english way", we've won 3 Grand Slams Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 10:15

Wales have played the same style of rugby as england since 2005, there just as likely to stick it up the jumper as england.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 10:29

RubyGuby wrote:I think it's 7 that Wales need as we are ahead on trys thumbsup

agreed, but that assumes that the try count stays the same. The only thing that can be used as a given is winning by 8+, losing, or winning by 6 or less. That's why I used 8 points as a difference.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 10:33

RubyGuby wrote: thumbsup Barney - How can we be playing the "english way", we've won 3 Grand Slams Run
Yahoo

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 10:34

sirBiggles wrote:I say this not as a wind up
Sure. Yeah, sure.

This notion that the Welsh play the more attractive rugby is, quite frankly, astonishing.

'The Welsh Way' is wumming. Blimey, these boards are full of it. It's an infestation (look it up, it's the collective noun for Welsh rugby 'fans'). Honest.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 10:38

maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Why would we not be easily able to find any evidence of what you stated Steve Walsh said?

Careful Jimpy, this could be taken as slander.

Suggest you read this and either back up your quote withe a link or remove it.

https://www.606v2.com/t41681-important-please-read

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 10:56

sirBiggles wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Careful Jimpy, this could be taken as slander.

Suggest you read this and either back up your quote withe a link or remove it.

https://www.606v2.com/t41681-important-please-read

Really? i thought the word alluded would mean he didn't actaully say it but in Jimpys opinion it's what he meant?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:01

Also, slander is spoken.

Perhaps biggles meant libel.

Either way this another WUM from our friend biggles.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:09

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Sure. Yeah, sure.

This notion that the Welsh play the more attractive rugby is, quite frankly, astonishing.

'The Welsh Way' is wumming. Blimey, these boards are full of it. It's an infestation (look it up, it's the collective noun for Welsh rugby 'fans'). Honest.

As opposed to a Guffaw of english Whistle

Wales playing the english way!! Please what a giggle that is.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:12

ah, keyboard-warrior is here with his "look at me i'm well 'ard" attitude again Wales v England prediction 3559488474

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:17

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Sure. Yeah, sure.

As opposed to a Guffaw of english Whistle

Wales playing the english way!! Please what a giggle that is.

Well Martin Williams seems to agree with him (going as far to call 'The Welsh Way' a myth) so i wouldnt exactly call it wumming?

"What of the style of Welsh rugby, the 'Welsh Way'? Many commentators have said Wales have moved back to a more attritional game in the last few years. Williams is quick to point out that winning Test matches takes a pragmatic approach.

"In honesty this 'Welsh Way' myth stopped around 2005! If you looked at the current team, we're actually playing a far more English-style of rugby; using our scrum and big forwards to dominate, a well-organised and pressuring defence, with a strong focus on the priorities of field position and possession," noted Williams."

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by tomhughesnice Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:20

WUM article obviously. Of course England want the Grand slam, and will throw everything they can at the Welsh to win this game.

Personally I think this will be a bounce of the ball kind of game. Neither team has no blatant weakness, so Farrell and 1/2p will be take every kickable penalty they can.
No one really has an advantage in the Scrum as the turf will rip up so I can see lots of scrum resets! I also get really annoyed by 'early engagement' penalty's, as a prop myself I pretty much always think this is the refs fault. I think the timing of Crouch, touch and set should have an equal time gap between words. Some refs are good at this, but most are not. It results in most front rows trying to predict the 'Set' word as the engage about 80% of the time determines the outcome of the scrum.

My prediction is an English win with Wales outscoring England on the try count 2 to 1.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:44

The welsh way Yahoo Look! after the GS of 2005 a number of english pundits suggested that it was a GS "built on Sand" - Now to some extent they had a point, all we have done since is added a lot of Cement to that Sand and now we have more secure footings from which to play.

Traditionally/Historically England have big forwards and keep it tight and Wales throw it around like naive majestic merlins creating magic from nothing - Both these stereotypes are redundant now but it makes for fun - Good luck to both teams thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:47

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Also, slander is spoken.

Slander or libel, I was pointing out a rule of the board. You guys want to pick holes... picard

As for this being a WUM, Im merely picking up on something Dawson has said on the BBC sites, around the fact England will be 100% focussed on the title and not the Slam.

One final point. You calling anyone a WUM, Cyril, is the best ever. You only ever comment on Welsh rugby, considering you say you are English. You never have anything worth saying, just make jibes at others. You sir are nothing but a WUM. But sorry to break your bubble.... You aren't even any good at it.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:50

anyways Biggles, back to the thread.

I think a tactic England could use is to target the Welsh lineout (if T. Youngs is having a good day).

I think we have better jumpers in the lineout.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:51

If Shingler gets on we'll have an Arran Jumper thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:57

England by 9.

Better 10, not that I think Farrell is all that, just that Biggar is a poor mans version of Farrell. Plays to orders no guile imagination or ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck and change it if necessary. I also think Walsh will favour England (thought I would get that one in early), Southern Hem refs always favour the bigger nation. They always have one eye on keeping on the good side of those who can advance them. Walsh not as bad as Joubert but still culpable.

England will get more kickable penalties and that will be the difference

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 12:58

sirBiggles wrote:

Slander or libel, I was pointing out a rule of the board. You guys want to pick holes... picard

As for this being a WUM, Im merely picking up on something Dawson has said on the BBC sites, around the fact England will be 100% focussed on the title and not the Slam.

One final point. You calling anyone a WUM, Cyril, is the best ever. You only ever comment on Welsh rugby, considering you say you are English. You never have anything worth saying, just make jibes at others. You sir are nothing but a WUM. But sorry to break your bubble.... You aren't even any good at it.

I'll pick holes if you like... It isn't either. RTFQ very carefully.

And the fact that you accuse Cyril of not being a very good WUM is quite possibly the best example of irony i've seen on 606v2.

Libel.... libel.... okay then, I could accuse you of never having been a pilot as you claim - I certainly don't think you posess the maturity of attitude or the demeanor required of a professional airman. Unless of course, it were a Kamikaze Squadron, and if it was, it just proves how rubbish you were, since you couldn't even wipe yourself out!

Last edited by Jimpy on Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 13:03; edited 1 time in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 13:01

Pickholes has had a good tournament so far thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 13:09

God I think this game is so hard to call. England are in the best form they have shown in years, they have improved on last year. And during that Twelve months we have had a hard ride in Wales....!

The boys have grafted to get wins under the belt and they are showing some serious mettle. A tough year has likely been a good education for these lads who were winning a lot of games a year ago.

As the tournament has progressed, Wales started appallingly and have improved every game, England started well and have not even though they have won.

Same thing happened two years ago, will England have learnt their lesson, or will Wales have learned from theirs?

I think Wales are the better students.

9 point win to Wales, no tries scored by England.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 16:34

Jimpy wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:

I'll pick holes if you like... It isn't either. RTFQ very carefully.

And the fact that you accuse Cyril of not being a very good WUM is quite possibly the best example of irony i've seen on 606v2.

Libel.... libel.... okay then, I could accuse you of never having been a pilot as you claim - I certainly don't think you posess the maturity of attitude or the demeanor required of a professional airman. Unless of course, it were a Kamikaze Squadron, and if it was, it just proves how rubbish you were, since you couldn't even wipe yourself out!

See you've finally lost control of the single brain cell you moron....

1. I'm not making a WUM, unlike Cyril, so how any of this has been irony is unbelievable.
2. I was trying to point out a RULE on the board. You have obviously made something up and attributed it to a current referee. This could be seen as a very serious manner if the site is being monitored to cut down on these "slanderous" type of comments. You dont want to take head of the warning, then I hope you get burnt by your comment.
3. I know what I have achieved in my flying career. Why on earth I would want to discuss this with you or anyone else on this board in any detail to have to prove it is beyond me...

Jimpy, you are a complete muppet in my opinion. You do nothing but argue, and are only happy when picking fights on the boards. I bet, in life you are a weasel of a man, who would sh!te himself if someone said boo ....

So, I'm going to treat you with the same level of contemp I treat any TROLL on any board, and ignore you.... Say what you like as a reply, because I'm not biting...

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by lauriehow Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 16:55

I STILL have not seen a source for the Steve Walsh comments on scrum engagements. Put up or shut up.

lauriehow

Back to top Go down

Post by lauriehow Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 17:18

everyone on here is saying it will be a tight game. point taken. so a win by 7 should be enough.

It's hard to imagine a game where England are 2 tries up and losing when it's very close and England are supposed not to give away too many penalties. All I am really saying is that if England are 2 tries up I am prepared to bet they are at least actually winning.

lauriehow

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 17:45

Yep, too close to call in reality. Heart says that England will be motivated to recapture their best form and will do enough to see off a pumped up Wales. But I guess we'll find out tomorrow...

It will be very interesting to see how things shape up early on. Can't wait!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 17:48

I'm pretty much the same, can't call it.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 17:51

Great finale to look forward to though...

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 18:06

Yes and ironically we have the French to thank for it.

If Parisse hadn't been banned for the Wales match I think the result would have been much closer and the points difference therefore even more in England's favour and the championship would be all but decided already. Conversely if his ban hadn't been shortened to magically end the day before the England match the points difference in that match would probably have been much bigger.

Makes it more exciting for sure.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 18:07

AlastairW wrote:My prediction is that I will hide behind the sofa, hugging my beer, trying not to have a heart attack and swing wildly between uninformed, blind optimism and deepest pits of blackest despair.

You are not a scot are you? thats the scots fan position Whistle

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 18:13

I was just reading what lock Ian Evans said. That England will have more pressure on them than Wales will... England are gonig for a (WIN THE GAME FIRST) think about the Grand Slam later. Surely Wales will have more pressure than England. Wales playing at home in front on their home crowd.

However i do think that (BOTH) teams will be feeling the pressure on saturday and it will come down too who can handle the pressure the best. Yes Wales do have players that have won a Grand Slam in the past, played in some high tempo games. But this is different, this is one of the biggest games ALL THE PLAYERS, both England and Wales have had for ages.

Neither team will not want to lose and both teams will going put for the win.
George North says it will be a blood bath. Well by the time the game is over it will have felt like a blood bath. I expect the players will be run off the their feet. But i do feel it will come down to penalties shoot out. England have not given away too many penalties this 6ns, but Wales have.

I do think that England will win, Will they get the Grand Slam? That reamains to be seen at the end of the game.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 18:13

Slander - that is no slander. It may be all sorts of other things but written is Libel and its not libellous anyway.

This 6N both the welsh and the English have played a similar game - feild position, safety first, pressing defense. Both sides could be unlocked by a variation in the tacticsw - who will blink first? Wales have the best back 3 between the two sides but don't seem to want to use them - just look at the stats from last week - wales oodles of posession, back 3 got 1/2 of sod all

The team that backs itself to win by scoring tries will win well - if neither side does England are better an the stodgy stuff.

I hope they remember its an entertainment business

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 18:14

If we want this to be a good spectacle then England need to score first and early. If they waste their chances like in the Italy game then we'll see them go back in to their shells and it'll turn to a kick-a-thon.

Can't call this game.

Head say's Wales by 5

Heart say's England by 5

Thank god for ale

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 18:15

errmm - am I confused? If england win they get the slam do they not regardless of the score?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 18:21

Wales 6 - 47 England

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 18:37

Don't think it will be as bad as Dublin 2011, but probably won't be as good as Dublin 2003 for England!

I think in a way England can't worry too much about Wales' score. If Wales race out the traps and score 2 or 3 tries then it will change the way England have to play, sure. But otherwise England need to just keep the scoreboard ticking, chipping away with penalties, taking any chances for tries and building a total that is hopefully enough to win a Grand Slam, if not a Championship. The actual score won't really matter until about 20 minutes before the end.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 18:51

yappysnap wrote:If we want this to be a good spectacle then England need to score first and early. If they waste their chances like in the Italy game then we'll see them go back in to their shells and it'll turn to a kick-a-thon.

Can't call this game.

Head say's Wales by 5

Heart say's England by 5

Thank god for ale

Amen.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next